Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Late Week NRR
- - By swandive [us] Date 2018-01-11 1:55 PM
Not much more than a day left before the week is over, right?
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2018-01-11 2:04 PM
I'm engaging in my favorite pastime, i.e. hanging out at area hospitals. :roll:  A has been in the hospital since Monday and might go home today, but they've just finished doing a procedure so there's also a chance that they won't discharge her until tomorrow.  I'm hoping for today because then I could probably go home (from A's house) tomorrow; if they keep her in the hospital until tomorrow then I might be down here until Saturday.

Mom's cardiac cath went fine yesterday -- her arteries look good -- but during recovery she apparently had a TIA (very small stroke) so they ended up keeping her overnight for observation.  She seems to be doing fine, but very tired from a couple of nights of not much sleep.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-01-11 2:36 PM
Best wishes for A and your mom.  :hug:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-11 3:12 PM
Hospitals are such strange places to spend time.  Things are either rushed there, or dragged on forever.

I'm glad your mom's cath went well. My dad had a TIA a few years back.  After 6 months without another his doctor said he was at no higher risk for stroke than any other man of his age. (His dad had a series of strokes, starting much younger than my dad is now, and eventually leaving him mostly incapacitated.)
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2018-01-11 4:04 PM
Very true about hospitals.  Even when things are rushed, it seems like things still drag on forever.  Speaking of which, A isn't being discharged until tomorrow. :roll:

Likely the TIA was somehow related to the cath, but so long as nobody goes poking around in her arteries again she'll likely be fine.  But, like your dad, my mom's mother had strokes when she was quite a bit younger, including a massive stroke when she was 45 that left her completely incapacitated.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-12 11:53 AM
It is very plausible that the cath could trigger a TIA...which as you know can be caused by a blood vessel spasm just as easily as having tiny bit of fat or plaque dislodged. I am hoping it is the last and only stroke she has.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-01-11 4:21 PM
Here's hoping that your Mom and A get much better and are stable. :hug:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-11 4:42 PM
You must know every hospital in the metro Atlanta area by now. Hope A gets discharged today.

Your mom is going home today?
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-01-11 6:59 PM
You've been in the hospital way too often. I hope both A and your mom improve quickly.
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2018-01-11 7:21 PM
Man, that sucks.  All around.

Can I bring you dinner?
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2018-01-11 8:40 PM
Thank you for the offer. :hug:  At least I don't have to stay at the hospital tonight, so I'm at A's house and I walked up to Doc Chey's for takeout.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-01-11 8:06 PM
All best for the dive family. :hug: what's happening with China sis and family? Did they figure out what to do without your mom?
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2018-01-11 8:42 PM
China sis is working on packing up their apartment without help (I mean, she has plenty of "help" from my nieces...) so figuring out what to get rid of, what to store, and what to take with them.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-01-11 8:05 PM
WTF, a bird just flew into the kitchen, pooped all over the place and flew out! :mutmad: I was sitting right there!

Also, all night long it sounded like a plane was taking off in our bedroom every few minutes. Turns out ministicky left one of his sound making puzzles under our bed and it's running out of batteries or something. :meh:
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2018-01-11 8:43 PM
:shocker!:  I presume you had a window or door open and it wasn't a kea that learned to pick the lock?
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-01-12 10:06 AM
Door was only slightly open. This was no accident. And there was another bird right outside the door watching the whole thing. Like it dared it.
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2018-01-12 10:42 AM
:laugh::cry::laugh:
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2018-01-12 10:54 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-12 1:54 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-01-12 2:18 PM
Bird gang initiation?
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-01-12 6:03 PM
:cry::cry::laugh:
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2018-01-12 2:26 PM
Seagulls found you?
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-01-12 2:27 PM
They were blackbirds. Though I suppose they could have been acting on seagull orders...
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-01-12 8:16 AM
:laugh:  It's good luck when a bird poops in your kitchen!  Think of it as an Avian Blessing.  :laugh::laugh:

It really is too bad that the stores are out of that particular battery type, isn't it?  :laugh:  Still laughing.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-12 12:44 PM
Ooo sneaky...
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-01-12 2:20 PM
I'm not sure if it's the battery or a loose connection for the airplane piece. All other pieces still work.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-01-12 8:22 AM
Roolet made weight last night!  Unfortunately the other team forfeited the weight class.  He picked up 6 points for that, but he was disappointed not to wrestle.  He has a weekend tournament (weather permitting :roll: ) ; hopefully, he will make weight, have competition, and wrestle well.

DH has lost 3 pounds and I have lost 2.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-01-12 10:08 AM
How many lbs did roolet have to lose? Does this mean you guys can all eat normal again or do you continue until the end of the season?
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-01-12 10:31 AM
He had to lose 4.  I think we are all going to attempt to make it through the season.  Only 5 more weeks.

To be honest, we are not suffering too much.  I stopped drinking alcohol (except for that amazing homemade Irish cream, which I'm sure is chock full of vitamin D and calcium).  DH cut way back on beer.  Roolet cut out chocolate milk (he drinks 2 gallons a week).  The leftover Christmas cookies are in the freezer and we are eating more fruit.  I suspended our pancake breakfasts on the weekends.  We are limiting quantities in small ways.  The lad hits the treadmill or lifts weights with DH in the evenings, unless he has a meet or homework or he just seems tired.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-12 11:54 AM
That all sounds very sensible.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-12 12:45 PM
Sounds like a sensible way to approach weight management. It's so easy to overdo calories when they are in liquid form.
Parent - By Gunna Date 2018-01-12 1:56 PM
Yes, they are often underestimated, especially since drinks don't make feel as full.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-12 11:04 AM
Is roolet's coach teaching kids to make weight in healthy ways? I've never totally understood how this wrestling practice could not teach disordered eating. I also know you are a responsible parent and have probably thought this stuff through.:hug:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-12 11:57 AM
Lots of kids don't learn how to lose in healthy ways...and there are plenty who should not try to drop weight while they are still growing. But it sounds like Roolet and family are doing it right, by increasing exercise and making better food and portion choices. :hug:
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-01-12 12:12 PM
There are rules about losing and gaining weight in wrestling.  Before the season begins, athletes take a hydration test.  This is kinda tough to pass; Roolet has to drink lots of water throughout the day.  If you pass that, they take your weight and body fat percentage.  If your body fat is too low (under 7 %) then you are not allowed to lose weight or drop down to a lower weight class.  Roolet was permitted to drop one class, but not more than that.  You can also wrestle up a class or two and again there are rules about how many classes you can go up.  On the other end of the spectrum, we have a guy that weighs too much to wrestle, even at the heavy weight (I think it is 250).  He has a weight loss program to follow and is only allowed to lose x pounds a week.  We are at the skinny end so I don't know the value of x.  Recognizing that these boys are growing, the state gives a 2 pound allowance after January, meaning that to wrestle at 110 in December you have to weigh 110 or less, but to wrestle in the same class in January you can weigh 112.  The obvious things are banned--diuretics, laxatives, rubber suits, etc, but I suspect some of that may go on in homes. 

You are right though, it is an odd thing.  Having weight classes gives the little kids, like the 80 pounder that is not going to play football or basketball, a chance to compete and be an athlete.  Plus they now have the 165 and 220 pound wrestlers looking out for them.  One of Rootlet's favorite sweatshirts is a team sweatshirt with "105" on the sleeve.  Can you imagine a female sporting team that proudly displayed body weight on the t shirts?
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-01-12 12:36 PM
That's great.  Back in the day, my brother's wrestled.  Making weight was a huge deal and any means was taken to do it.  So, guys in heavy air tight sweats jogging on the bus, laying under the wrestling mat, not eating or drinking until after weight in, then eating honey before the match.  Luckily, my brothers didn't have to go to extremes; but I do remember those days of them eating the bun-less burger and other late 70s techniques.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-01-12 2:34 PM
Not just 70s. There was just an article about a month ago about a girl wrestler in Australia who died of dehydration jogging in sweats in the heat to make weight. And I remember college roommates and friends doing some crazy things for crew weight as well.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-01-12 3:41 PM
:sad:  That's terrible.
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-01-12 6:05 PM
:cry:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-12 12:48 PM
Can you imagine a female sporting team that proudly displayed body weight on the t shirts?

No. Even if weight was something taken into account in the competition, I can't see females announcing their weight.

I'm assuming that with females competing in wrestling, boxing, and similar sports that their weight is recorded, but not necessarily announced on their shirts.

Glad they keep a close watch on the athletes and that they check body fat and hydration as well as weight.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-01-12 12:56 PM
If a female wrestles, she is a wrestler and I would expect that she would comply with the team norms--including the standard issue bling.  Body fat limit in females is higher--the low end is 12%. 

Roolet wrestled a girl last year.  She was fast and aggressive, but not as strong.  He won.  Some of his teammates were being dorky junior high boys about wrestling a girl, and I looked him in the eye and said, "She was not a girl out there on the mat.  She was a wrestler.  She practiced just as hard as the guys and it is disrespectful to treat her differently on the mat."  Roolet said, "I know, Mom" in that tone of voice that means he was expecting this lecture all along.  :grin:
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2018-01-12 2:29 PM
Coxes in rowing have to be weighed publicly before each race and most are women so it definitely happens - albeit they rarely bothered to weight me as I was clearly over the minimum which is what they worry about. Similarly jockeys
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-12 4:46 PM
I hated coxing...coach always was on my case to stop running, not lift weights, and crap like that. :meh:
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2018-01-12 1:06 PM
I like to hear this. As a high school teacher, I hear my students talking about doing things I would consider "crazy" and I try to guide them but if more programs were like Roolet's, I think that would help!
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-01-12 1:15 PM
I think these are Pennsylvania rules.  It would be hard to cheat the original weigh in/hydration/body fat tests, but kids are still doing stupid things to make weight before a match.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-12 1:06 PM
It is good to know it is regulated so closely.  I hope that other parents are as cool as you are supporting the weight changes in a healthy way, as well as supporting the female athletes in a healthy way!
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-01-12 1:17 PM
Wrestling is a tough choice for girls.  At that age the strength to weight ratio is heavily skewed toward the boys.  Maybe not at lower weights in Jr High, but in high school the boys have a huge advantage.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-12 1:51 PM
Agreed. It sounds like Roolet's school is being very, very smart about this. It is refreshing to hear.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-01-12 2:07 PM
Pennsylvania commonwealth athletic rules, not specific to his school.  But yes, it does sound like they are trying to avoid the worst of the weight-cutting.  Kids still do dumb stuff.  I'm hoping that the lad will choose things that are ineffective not unhealthy.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-12 10:48 AM Edited 2018-01-12 11:03 AM
I went to my first open mic story telling event last night and told a story.  A friend of mine who is one of two people in the world with her name, was one of the headliners.  She met the other person with her name on stage for the first time.  It was a funny and sweet piece. She convinced me to try telling a story.  Which was fun.  The stage lights were bright, and I didn't understand the timing signals, but I had a good time.  I'm already thinking of another story to tell.

Oh, and I have 80sq ft of tile in the back of the car.  Perhaps this is progress?
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-12 11:55 AM
Oh, cool! It is so much fun performing, isn't it? Did you feel like you told your story the way you wanted?
Parent - By Gunna Date 2018-01-12 1:57 PM
Why, that's very brave of you and glad that it was fun! :grin:
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-01-12 8:14 PM
You do such cool things.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-12 12:10 PM
T-bone and I had our first real married tiff  this week, and managed to navigate a highly charged "trigger" subject for both of us with a rational, mutually kind, attentive approach. Turned out to be a good learning experience for both of us, about how we prefer to cope with confrontation. For me, the challenge is to speak up and say "I am not happy with this; this is what I want instead" without backing down and accepting whatever makes the other person comfortable; for him, it is learning that any expression of unhappiness is not a personal attack, an indication of failure, or a precursor to an actual crazy meltdown. (His ex would change personality states and engage in what sounds like psychodrama Calvin ball, in which everything he did would be twisted around to be wrong. She also physically attacked him several times, or also several times cut herself to the point of needing stitches. :meh:)

Anyway, we figured some things out and I think trust each other more now that when we have a problem, we are just attacking the problem...not each other.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-12 12:12 PM
Oh, ETA: we find out at the end of the month what the smiting society directors are going to do about the harassment complaint we filed. Steps have been taken to take the pressure off us and to prevent ongoing harassment, so life has been much calmer this month.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-12 12:49 PM
Glad that the disagreement between you two has been resolved in a rational adult fashion, and that the smiting society directors are addressing the complaint.
Parent - By Gunna Date 2018-01-12 2:03 PM
Yes, that's a very necessary thing for a couple to learn. Took me a long time to learn to not take these things too personally.
Parent - - By Gunna Date 2018-01-12 2:02 PM
Went on a hike today and loved it! It was much more difficult than I expected but that's exactly what I enjoyed. Going to be very sore tomorrow though, my quads stopped obeying in the end. There were a couple of Icelandic couples who were very nice and also a mixture of nationalities which made it interesting. I'm not crazy about touristy places, but one fun thing about them is trying to guess where people are from and listening to all the different languages. The guides here shift from English to German to Spanish like nobody's business, it's amazing. Most of them think I'm German which annoys me a bit. :wink:
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2018-01-12 5:11 PM
El Tiede?  We didn't go whole way as no permit but what we did wasn't easy (beginning wasn't bad.). Everyone kept asking if I was Dutch!  I have a lot of German, Irish, and English in me but no one made that assumption.  Maybe I have a weird accent as they guessed Dutch way more than American.
Parent - By Gunna Date 2018-01-13 3:37 AM
No the Masca ravine. I'm in no shape for El Teide right now! Yes, if I'm speaking Icelandic people often think we're Dutch, that or Finnish! It's also because there are so many German tourists here.
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2018-01-12 5:17 PM
Haven't been around much as surgery and recovery has sucked.  Surgery was ok itself but complications like bad reaction to pain meds, bed sores, etc have made it miserable.  Boot was wrongly sized and they didn't put in the pads at back of my heel so I've been a mess.  As I worried, DH expected me fully functional in under a week.  Hope I can run again after all this shit or at least walk without pain non stop.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-01-12 8:15 PM
Sorry to hear that surgery didn't go as planned and hope you heal well.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-01-12 9:02 PM
Oh geez. :cry:  I'm glad that at least the surgery went ok, but I'm sorry that everything since then has been so crappy.
Parent - By Gunna Date 2018-01-13 3:37 AM
Sorry that it's been so bad. :cry: Hope things get better soon.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-14 4:42 PM
DH hasn't had surgery recently, has he? Sorry about the complications.

Hope you can make it up the weekend of the 3rd-4th of March, you deserve some Newf time.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-01-13 7:27 PM
So tired.  Dad and I have been working today and have the bathroom mostly torn out (and also a walk-in closet in the bedroom torn out).  A was finally discharged from the hospital around 5pm yesterday and I didn't get home until sometime after 9.  I'm sure tomorrow's long run is going to be awesome. :laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-14 4:42 PM
Um, yeah. Bathroom and closet tearout sounds like a lot of cross training!
Up Topic Communities / Women / Late Week NRR