Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / It's that time again...
- - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-09 4:15 PM
...time for everyone's favorite game... Dress the Engineer!  :laugh:

I'm in need of some wardrobe refreshing, stuff that goes together with blacks & grays & blue/teal-ish colors that seem to look good on me (occasionally a red, but has to be the "right sort of red").  I need a new suit, and some jackets & slacks. As well as a few new shirts to rotate in as other pieces get long in the tooth.  I can't pull off anything fashionable, so classic items that can work together.

Where to start?
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-09 4:35 PM
First, do you tend to wear skirts/dresses or trousers?  I wear dresses, almost exclusively black wrap dresses, so cannot speak much to trousers, but I understand they are often harder to fit properly through all parts of the body than a skirt or dress.

Depending on the season, Ann Taylor tends to have good staple pieces even though their seasonal collection can be rather bold at times in colour  variety. You can also look at Talbots for staples.

I would look a suit (either dress/skirt or trouser) that is not black. Charcoal grey might be a good option, as it is less stark than black and can handle different colours as accents with the top or in your accessories (should you choose to wear any).  For jackets, I would look for pieces that are meant to be worn as separates rather than trying to look like they are matching to create a 'suit' and failing. Something that is purposefully different, if that makes sense. Shirts, button-front can be tricky for some ladies as regards full closure of buttons laying flat when the wearer is moving. Try to get a few in colours that are in the same general hue as what you have, so slightly different shades of teal/blue, if that works best. If you find a print accessory that you like (say, a scarf), you can look at the colour combinations to see what would work well for accents and not clash.
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-09 5:26 PM
I like separates, simply because I can make more outfits & being the only female in the department EVERYONE seems to notice if I wear the same thing twice in a month :roll: (never mind that guys wear the same 5 outfits every.damn.week and don't get any chaff).  Might be biased from my time in the navy, but black looks sharp : pbbt: Likewise, I can't really pull off a scarf for some reason - probably my own awkward sense while wearing it making it look wrong :wtf:

I'll look at Ann Taylor and Talbots, thanks!
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-09 5:46 PM
Sigh on the comments on the wearing of a piece/outfit a couple times a month. One reason why I'm glad to wear the same thing *all* the time, it stops being an issue up for discussion (and less for me to think of whilst getting ready in the morning). It is just known that MG appearing in public anywhere will be dressed in the same thing. Plain black wrap dress with sleeves down to the wrists, a black underpiece between neck and dress neckline, black tights, black shoes, and, in winter, a black open-front over-sweater that goes to mid-calf.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-01-09 7:10 PM
What fun!  I'll chime in, but I am an academic scientist so maybe I am more of a negative control.  :wink:

My current go to outfit consists of black or grey pants.  I have a comfy pair from JJill that feel like pajamas but manage to look sharp.  No pockets though.  I find they run big, so keep that in mind if you order from them.  I pair that with a Landsend shirt.  I don't have any problems with gapping; whether that is because of the button placement or my anatomy, I cannot say.

standard shirt

current fave

I have been thinking about getting something like this instead of a jacket.

Sometimes I rev that up with a scarf.  I read your comment about them.  I, too, was intimidated..  The humanities faculty seem to wear them effortlessly, one big flowing thing paired with exotic jewelry that was purchased in foreign lands from young orphans promoting world peace...then someone told me the key was to put on the darn thing and stop looking at it and adjusting it and thinking about it.  Strangely, that worked.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-01-09 8:47 PM Edited 2018-01-09 8:50 PM
I like that non jacket jacket.:cool:

The button shirts, alas, never really work for me. Even if miraculously they don't gap, I end up spending half the day looking down at my boobs to make sure the button didn't pop or slip out.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-01-09 8:53 PM
Perhaps if you wore a decorative scarf to hide the offending button?  : pbbt:
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-01-09 10:10 PM
I think that would only hide it from me.: pbbt: Unless I tie it in a bow around my rib cage?:wtf: That could be a new trend to start.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-01-10 7:36 AM
tell me more about these pants - do you know what the style is called?  I haven't worn dress pants in years since I wear jeans to work 95% of the time and will usually wear a skirt or dress if I have to look nice.
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-10 8:11 AM
I would live in jeans if it were professionally acceptable.  though if I get a title bump for my PhD, perhaps I can enter the realm of "quirky" and wear jeans & a blazer. :mischief:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-01-10 8:58 AM
I love being able to do it. My previous job was dress pants and dress shirt or blazer (guys even had to wear long sleeve button downs with ties the first few years I was there). This job is much more my style
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-01-10 8:15 AM
I think it's this pair.  The medium-tall fits me, so remember to size down.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-01-10 8:57 AM
thanks! I went looking on the website and thought it was one of those. I think I have a skinny fit type similar to those, although I've outgrown them, but they were super comfy when they fit
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-10 8:01 AM
That non-jacket is very nice! how does it hold up? (kinda spendy if it's only going to last a year)

:laugh: The scarf comment.  Maybe.  Consider, however, that I've only recently started wearing earrings that dangle or hoops. I'm not sure I "like" the scarf look - cowl-neck sweaters I can handle, but scarves feel a bit too much like navy neckerchiefs
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-01-10 8:03 AM
I haven't bought the sweater-thing, so I don't know about longevity.  Usually I spend January trying not to buy more stuff!
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-10 8:10 AM
ok, I like it enough I may run out at lunch to the Athleta near work & try it on.  Though who names a color "wet moss"??? :wtf: and what color is that, because it doesn't look green at all & I'd expect green.

NOTE TO MARKETING PEOPLE - I don't care about how cutsey your color names are, as long as they are descriptive.  "Wine" I generally think of as a deep red color, "Syrah" uhhhh... sure. and how exactly is that different from "Merlot" and "Shiraz?"
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-01-10 5:47 PM
WELL?  How was it?  We don't have fancy stores around here so I always have to gamble.

Kelly mentioned similar styles at JCPenney (which we do have :laugh: ) and I checked online. :roll:  They are about ½ the cost, but the big question is longevity.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-10 7:11 PM
:meh: got pulled into a meeting.

However, there is a Penny's on the way home & I can stop there tomorrow perhaps.   I had some lovely machine washable blazers from Pennys that are only now starting to look a bit worn 4? years later (I only wash them occasionally, but still, yay, washable)
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-01-10 8:59 AM
I wear long sweaters like that all the time. I think my favorites are from Express and JC Penney and all have held up well. Granted I wear them like 1-2x per month so not a ton but still. You could find that style at other stores a lot cheaper IMO
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-10 9:24 AM
I wear things like the non-jacket too, and they do tend to last well if purchased from a reputable company that makes pieces to last rather than turnaround fashion. The thickness of the material can sometimes be a clue. I have one from RL that's even longer in length, and this one from Athletica. A couple from other companies too... I've found that things in the under-50$ often do not last as long under routine/frequent wear, but things in the 100-200$ range have a better chance.
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2018-01-11 1:40 PM
If you're looking for a cheaper option, Target has some similar sweaters.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-01-11 2:35 PM
Oh, good catch!  I haven't been to Target for awhile.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-10 10:36 AM
I don't know what your budget is, but if you have a Nordstrom nearby use their personal shopping service.  They will pick everything for you, give you a chance to try it all on, get you different sizes, etc and even tailor it for you if needed.  The only drawback is that Nordstrom is not that cheap of a place to shop. A friend of mine did this when she got a new job.  Of course, her new job was ambassador to Switzerland. :laugh:
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-10 10:55 AM
I've done this. As far as it goes, it can be very helpful... if one is ready to be a bit open minded and give things a try. I was perhaps a bit more reserved and reluctant to branch out than the ideal client, and the session ended with very few purchases...most of which were returned in under a week.  But if one is more open, I can see the value as they do know the merchandise and what will likely look well on a client. (I now just wear a single style every day, cuts down on thought and since the pieces/style works for me, why tweak it?)
Parent - By Nomad Date 2018-01-10 2:14 PM
This. I've done this several times. And I'm not an ambassador to anywhere:roll:

oops meant to reply to reebs. Not that I disagree with mg but I did end up buying as much if not more than I planned. I was clear on my likes/dislikes, and while I tried on everything they suggested even stuff that was out of my comfort zone, they stayed pretty close to what I asked and explained why they thought a piece that was outside that would be a good match. On a couple of occasions it was
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-10 2:35 PM
Huh... I just searched and we do have a Nordstrom's in the area :shocker!:  I wonder when that happened!?

I will definitely try this, as it wouldn't hurt to have one or two outfits that fit beautifully, even if spendy.
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2018-01-10 5:36 PM
You could try banana republic too.  I've had luck with their suits fitting me better than others and have better sizing for me.  I'm sure Nordstrom's as others have mentioned would work too.  You could check out Nordstrom's rack as well if you have one close by.  Don't think they'll help pick stuff out but I got a really pricey dress there that was much less than elsewhere.
Parent - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2018-01-11 12:46 PM
If you travel these are GREAT dresses. Machine washable and they last forever and are stretchy and comfy. I have 5 and yes I spend the $$ on them some of the best $$ I've spent ever.

https://judeconnally.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhaT2gcnQ2AIVAvEbCh1ROwfdEAAYASAAEgJzGvD_BwE
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-11 2:59 PM
Has anyone done the eshatki custom dresses thing? I've been wanting to try it, I just need to get MCF or my mom to take my measurements.
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2018-01-16 8:10 AM
I got a dress from there when I was a bridesmaid and I really liked the dress. I didn't do custom sizing but one of my friends (another bridesmaid) did and she was happy with how it came out. :happy: I believe she even ordered a second (non-bridesmaid) dress.
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-15 9:11 PM
I swear...

...why don't designers put POCKETS in pants anymore :mutmad: Sure, it'll cost a bit more, and it won't be "seamless" but for heaven's sake, my body sure as heck isn't "seamless"
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-15 9:42 PM
I found a couple pairs of pants at Talbots : pbbt: yay for old-lady styles? :wtf:  But they're black (and grey), straight legs, and have no pockets worth speaking of :roll:
Also found a cardigan/shrug sorta thing that I hope will keep me warmer when I'm wearing short sleeves / no sleeves in my eternally freezing office.
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2018-01-16 8:13 AM
I own a lot of Talbots pants, they all have pockets.  Not sure how you managed to find ones that didn't!  :laugh:  But in general, PUT POCKETS IN MY DAMN PANTS.  Sigh!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-16 12:37 PM
Amen. I WANT POCKETS. Pockets that can hold keys, wallet, and phone. Those are the three items I find myself juggling most.
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-16 7:47 PM
These have rear pockets, but side zips, so perhaps I'll be saved by a decently-sized rear pocket?

and I agree - it's not like we're kept women that can have a man carry everything for us - give us frigging pockets!

Maybe in another life I'll sew my own pants (I've done a few pairs of dress-ish pants for my kids, actually) and put fifteen pockets in them, because I can.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-01-16 9:08 PM
YES.  We want pockets!
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-01-16 8:17 AM
agreed, I hate that pants rarely have pockets. Or they only have back pockets
Up Topic Communities / Women / It's that time again...