Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Nike resurrects the 1990 Air Span II...
Poll Should I order a pair?
Yes 0 0%
Hell Yes 3 100%
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-09 2:16 PM
...in an original colorway. Hubba hubba.

Should I order a pair?
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-01-09 5:36 PM
a pair? You need 3. One to never open the box of, one to only wear on special occasions and kept in pristine state, and one daily beater.
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-10 6:25 PM
I just pulled the trigger on these, Chief. :cool:
Parent - - By darbycrash Date 2018-01-10 7:29 PM
I recall buying a pair of Spans(4, 5 or 6's?) because this board had such a boner for them. You, greenie, and Amp if I recall were big proponents. SRA too but I never paid much attention to his shoe opinions back then  as he seemed easily influenced by anything greenie said about shoes.

Never liked the pair I got. They became gym shoes early on.

Those originals will look fabulous with jeans.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-10 7:54 PM
They’ll be great in the local coffee shop!

Yes, I loved the Spans back in the day. The ones I REALLY liked (had three pair) were the Span Classics. The 4s and 5s were good too. I bought the 6s without trying them on and hated them for running. They were too stiff and firm (huh huh huh).
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-11 6:36 AM
Actually, I never had the 4s. I found a third pair of Classics on sale (at Run N Fun, WOOT!) and bought those instead. The 5s were almost as good as the Classics and as I said above, the 6s sucked.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-11 8:42 AM
Disregard that. I did have the 4s, check out my informative post below.:cool:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-01-11 6:44 AM
If they are too stiff, put them in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Learned this trick on Motivation 3, a skateboarding documentary (it's on Netflix).
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-11 8:58 AM
I'll do that in the break room microwave.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-11 8:41 AM
I can't stop replying in my own thread.:blush:

For anyone interested....

I recall these being named the Span Classic but the RRS site where the picture is from had them labeled as Span 2. I had two pairs exactly like the ones pictured and one "Stormy Span" which was the same shoe with a Clima Fit upper.

Span 4 Now that I see this picture I remember that I did have a pair of these. I liked them almost as much as the Classics/2. I had this same colorway.

Span 5. I had these in this color. They were good but I didn't like them quite as much as the others.

Span 6. These sucked. Totally different feel from the others. A lot less flexible and stiffer. I still have these in my closet.

Looking at the numbering above I have no idea what the Span 3 was like. I can't find any images of it. Anyone remember if there were 3s?
Parent - - By darbycrash Date 2018-01-11 8:45 AM
Looking at those photos I had either the 4 or 6. I'm guessing the 6 based on your description. I recall them feeling clunky and firmer than I prefer.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-11 8:54 AM Edited 2018-01-11 8:59 AM
The Span had always been a relatively neutral/cushioned stability shoe but the 6s moved it up almost into Structure Triax territory. They totally messed it up for the audience that had been wearing them.

They did the same thing with the Zoom Elite and Lunarflys. Both of those shoes were loved in their early iterations and then became hated bricks.:cry:
Parent - - By darbycrash Date 2018-01-11 10:00 AM Edited 2018-01-11 10:03 AM
I loved the Lunarfly. I have a pair that I still wear as casual shoes. They've held up surprisingly well and still look fairly new. I ran my marathon PR in them.

Eta: I like this thread. I used to really enjoy the shoe threads here.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-11 10:32 AM
I tried the Lunarfly on and liked it a lot but didn’t get them. When the 2s came out I ordered them and ended up hating them. They are my lawn mowing shoes now.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-11 8:45 AM
If you follow SRA on Instagram you would know that his new shoe of choice is the $250 Nike Zoom Vaporfly 4%.
Parent - - By darbycrash Date 2018-01-11 8:47 AM
I follow him on Strava. I'm actually very  happy for him that his running has been going well.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-11 8:51 AM
It's been going extremely well. I'm happy for him too.:cool:
Parent - - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2018-01-11 8:48 AM
I shipped at least two pairs of on version of the Span to greenie because they were about $20 or something at the store.

SRA while smarter with his running, still is easily influenced when it comes to shoes as he hypes the Vaporflys.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-11 9:00 AM
Speaking of easily influenced, remember when people were hyping Spira after getting free pairs?:blush::cry:

Also, maybe you remember, were the first ones in my link above called the Span 2 or Span Classic?
- By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2018-01-10 8:10 PM
you're really trying to get greenie back, aren't you?
- - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2018-01-11 8:49 AM
And people say our taxes are too high? You just go out and waste money on shoes like this shows you have too much money.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-11 8:55 AM
I did sign up for a Nike+ membership (which is free) to get free shipping. #frugal #howmuchnikeemailwilliget?
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-17 5:54 PM
UPDATE - THEY ARE AWESOME. CHECK THEM OUT ON INSTAGRAM. DON’T FORGET TO DOUBLE TAP.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-18 9:27 AM
UPDATE II - GREENIE WANTS A PAIR
Parent - - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2018-01-18 9:35 AM
You aren't even going to run in them. Poser.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-18 9:46 AM
Strictly coffee shop/microwbrewery/farmer's market attire.:cool:
Parent - - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2018-01-18 10:02 AM
Microbrewery? :roll: You are so mainstream. I drink nothing but nanonanobreweries now. Brewing no more than 1/2 a gallon at a time.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-18 10:07 AM
I just chew on hops.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Nike resurrects the 1990 Air Span II...