Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Catching up Tues NRR
- - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-09 10:37 AM
What did you accomplish while the forum was down?:wink:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-09 10:43 AM Edited 2018-01-09 10:51 AM
The big news from the reebs house is that I FINALLY got MCF to agree to pull the trigger on the bathroom remodel.  We picked tile, and tonight are going to the paint shop to pick paint color.  The guy comes on Monday to start demolition!!  I am SO happy we are FINALLY moving forward.  We have been without a working bathroom sink (in our primary bathroom) since last April!  MCF almost pulled his support for the project last thursday, but I talked him down from the ledge.  For a man who takes 15 min to make a $10 purchase from Amazon, spending a few K on a bathroom is major stress. I'm not looking forward to the kitchen remodel.  But if we come through this intact, perhaps it will be easier next time around.

Tile is this in Charcoal
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-01-09 12:26 PM
I like that tile.  I can't imagine not having a working sink in my primary bathroom for almost a year !?!?
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-09 1:37 PM
Yeah, really our only bathroom!  We have a toilet under the stairs and a sink and shower that are just sitting in the middle of our unfurnished basement. So this is long overdue! The contractor has promised no more than one morning without showers, I'll go to the gym and MCF will use the shower in the laundry room (we will have to hang a curtain.)
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-09 1:46 PM
What have you been doing, brushing teeth with a glass of water and spitting into the toilet?
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-09 1:51 PM
water comes out of the sink, it just doesn't drain back into the wall. So we have a basin under the sink that we empty when it gets close to full.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-01-09 1:32 PM
Oh, nice!  That's a long time to to be without a sink!  Decisions are so hard for these kinds of things; that is why we used a designer for the tile in our master bathroom.  We like so many things, but would they all match each other and then be in keeping with the style we were going for?
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-09 1:36 PM
Yeah, we will use a designer for the kitchen, which will be that much more complicated. The bathroom choices are really just floor paint and light fixture (we are going with a minimalist mirror).

And the time without a sink was ridiculous!! But instead of just calling a plumber to fix the sink it became a...while we are doing the sink we should do the toilet, while the toilet and sink, the floors, then the paint, etc etc.

The bathroom was awful, redone in the 70's and really in bad shape, water damage to the vanity, uneven fading on the floor, grout that can't be cleaned, water damaged base board, etc. But as long as it was functional, we didn't care.  Then it became not functional, and now, 9 months later, here we are!
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-09 6:43 PM
Oooh, glad to hear it! And I am wishing you luck. Certainly wishing you an easier time that what Tritri and her DH went through.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-01-09 7:19 PM
I like the tile!  [But not for my bathroom because we've already picked tile and aren't changing. :wink:]  I hope your bathroom remodel goes really well. :hug:  Remember to take "before" pictures so you can post before and after photos!
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-01-09 8:51 PM
:cool:
Parent - By Gunna [es] Date 2018-01-10 4:05 AM
Nice tile! Great that it's started. H is refurbishing our kitchen right now. We bought the appliances and counters more than a year ago but he's never had the time. Or energy. But now that I'm away, he's using the oppertunity. He's not quite as bad as YCF but he doesn't like spending too much either and he wants to do the work himself, which he's good at but he works very long hours, so...
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-01-09 1:44 PM
We had a huge weekend New Year's weekend and got the two spare bedrooms upstairs cleared out!  All the construction debris was finally moved out, clothes put away that had been moved out of the master bedroom closet, all the stuff from the vanities that was moved found new homes.  Cleaned out the closets in those rooms as well.  Even gave away a Queen bed!  Now we have the same number of beds as bedrooms!  Ah, what a relief!   Seeing all those bags go was so gratifying.  So last weekend, I got all the laundry done in the house!  It's like a miracle.  We had bought a twin bed for my stay in the office for knee surgery recovery, so that will go in one spare room.  A queen bed in another room and leftover King bed in the 3rd spare bedroom should be plenty.  It will be nice to have extra room in that room to do other things.

Also, I was able to take the puppies to the dog park by myself.  DH went and moved DS's stuff from NE to WA, and the puppies were getting restless.  So, I used a retractable leash and was able to manage them for the first time in over a year.  However, between that and biking and probably carrying too many loads of laundry and other stuff around..my knees got really painful again.  Can't fall asleep painful.  So, now I am doing nothing but icing again.  :sad:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-09 1:47 PM
Congratulations on all the cleanout!

Three spare bedrooms. *green with envy emoticon* Cannot imagine.

Sorry about the knees, hope they feel better soon.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-09 2:57 PM
What an awesome clean out! We've been working, slowly, through rooms of our house to do the same.  The basement, however, is the proverbial elephant.

Great job on taking the doggies out.  When are you coming to WA to visit your DS?
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-09 6:44 PM
Oh, that sounds like a load off your psyche....! Congrats on getting everything feeling like home again!
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-01-09 7:20 PM
Hooray for decluttering and putting things back where they belong!

I hope your knee responds quickly to icing.
Parent - By Gunna [es] Date 2018-01-10 4:06 AM
Great job! Sorry your knees are hurting so much.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-09 6:50 PM
I left my Kindle in the pocket of my airplane seat during a trip to Wisconsin right after Thanksgiving. I missed it not quite soon enough to run back and pick it up from the parked plane, but immediately filed a "Lost item" claim with the airline, specifying the exact flight and the location of the Kindle.

But lo, the airline reported it was unable to locate the Kindle.

....Until I deregistered the old Kindle just after Christmas (when T-bone gave me a new Kindle as a gift). And lo, within a few days of deregistering the device, which wiped all the content out of it, I get a notice that, OMG, United Airlines has found my Kindle after all...!

I don't know about y'all, but I find it suspicious that the Kindle couldn't be officially located until all the content was gone. I can't help but think an airline employee found it and was reading from it until the content disappeared.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-01-09 7:22 PM
That does sound suspicious. :meh:  If a passenger on the next flight found it, I doubt it would've ever made it back to the airline.  "Magically" finding it after it was deregistered is awfully suspicious.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-01-09 8:52 PM
Well, now you can read twice the books!: pbbt:

Any good book recs?
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-01-09 9:35 PM
:meh:  Suspicious indeed!  But yay for getting it back!
Parent - By Gunna [es] Date 2018-01-10 3:48 AM
Ugh, that sucks. I lost forgot mine once on an Icelandair flight. They found it sent it to me right away.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-10 11:57 AM
That does sound very suspicious. Would you have been notified if anything downloaded to the old Kindle between the time you lost it and the time you deregistered it?
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-10 12:06 PM
No...not notified, but there would have been a record of activity on my Amazon account. Nothing was bought or downloaded. If I had not deregistered it, I could possibly have checked to see what book was being read currently, but didn't think to do that before I closed the account.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-09 7:18 PM
Oh...I also helped Eldest start organizing her room. She is a piler and a clutterer, which is acceptable at her mom's house, but not here at her dad's. She has enough clutter in her room that she has lost several pairs of her concert performance shoes in it, and has been purchasing replacements for small items that she has lost in the mess, rather than hunting for the original items, ya know?

So we got her a hanging shoe storage bag for her closet; helped her identify and get rid of a bunch of items that she has outgrown or doesn't want anymore (which opened enough space in her closet that she can actually use the closet again!); got her garment bags for her concert dresses, and hung up all her dresses and coats and stuff (which again, opened up a ton of floor space and she was able to SEE what she owns), cleared all the trash off her floor so the room can be vacuumed....and now we are considering storage tiers for the bathroom counter, book shelves and some other items that she can use now here and also use to furnish her dorm room next year.

It feels good to get stuff in some kind of usable, and cleaner, order. But it has also gotten me musing about how people become (or don't become) good at keeping things neat. Clearly parental expectations play a role. And time management. But at some point someone has to decide that spending a couple of minutes daily tidying and putting things in order is worth the investment of effort. Not everyone feels it is worth that effort.
Parent - By Gunna [es] Date 2018-01-10 4:02 AM
Good for you! We manage to keep most of our house neat but we really need to clean out the garage and a couple of other rooms. Yes, keeping things neat requires doing something every day. I don't always keep up with that, because of my fibro I'm sometimes exhausted after work, but that's never for long and H often does more than his fair share.
Parent - - By Gunna [es] Date 2018-01-10 3:59 AM Edited 2018-01-10 4:07 AM
I don't know if it's an accomplishment but I flew to Tenerife where I've been staying for a week now. I'm here alone, so I would have liked to have the forum. :wink: I'm here to try to avoid the late-winter slump I usually get, jumped on a last-minute offer when the price went down. And it's having a good effect on me, I've been sleeping like a baby and the food at the hotel is pretty good. The offer included full board, which I wasn't too crazy about, but it's a lot better than I expected. Lots of veggies, both raw and cooked and I'm taking advantage of that. Aaand free wine with lunch and dinner! They're very brave to offer that kind of deal to Icelanders. :laugh: I especially love having real daylight, it helps so much with my sleep and energy.

Yesterday I took a trip to the next island to the west, La Gomera. Very interesting tour, it's a beautiful island and the guide was very knowledgable. The people there have a special whistling lanuage which they used to communicate across long distances and we got an example of that.

I'm also getting into better shape, taking long walks and avoiding elevators. Need to swim more, there's a pool here. So it's pretty good although a little more company would be great. Maybe I can get somebody with me next time, now that I know what things are like here.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-10 11:58 AM
Nice! How long are you there for?
Parent - By Gunna [es] Date 2018-01-10 1:23 PM
I came a week ago and I'm leaving on Sunday, 11 nights in all. Long enough to make a change I think but not long enough to get really bored.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-10 12:08 PM
Oh, the charm of warmth and daylight!!
Parent - By Gunna [es] Date 2018-01-10 1:23 PM
Ah yes! :cool: After the dark of December, this is so nice!
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2018-01-10 5:53 PM
Aaahhh! As soon as I read "La Gomera," I was about to ask you about el silbo gomero! How cool that you got to hear it "live," I've only heard it on videos!
Parent - - By Gunna [es] Date 2018-01-11 3:31 AM
Yes, it was very cool to see it. It was dying out but now they are making efforts to save it. Tourists are showing it a lot of interest and hopefully that helps.
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2018-01-13 12:14 PM
And last I heard, they are teaching it in schools. Did you learn the history about how it was banned by Franco and everything?
Parent - By Gunna [es] Date 2018-01-14 3:58 AM
No, I didn't. Interesting, I need to look that up and learn more.
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-10 8:13 AM
:cry:
Cube World. If you have a teleconference scheduled, book a freaking conference room & not hold it on speakerphone in your office!
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-10 8:35 AM
Oh FFS, people... teleconference in one cube, impromptu design meeting (4 people) in the next cube, two guys talking football in a third cube, and my neighbor talking with "sweetie" on the phone   :meh:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-10 10:24 AM
Noise canceling headphones?

Passive aggressive memo to the whole company?

Long walk at lunch?
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-10 10:47 AM
Headphones was the solution, but the noise cancelling ones I have don't exclude human speech
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-10 12:00 PM
There is a solution that cancels human speech, but HR may frown on the use of duct tape.
Parent - By Gunna [es] Date 2018-01-10 1:24 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-01-10 6:51 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-11 7:57 AM
:mischief:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-10 11:59 AM
:roll: PSA to Mickey's colleagues: your cube walls don't block any sound at all.

One solution: WFH.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-10 12:36 PM
:blush: I'm on campus or at home 3 days/week for the last year   ... :spoiledJustALittle:    (but that will end after this semester)
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-10 10:43 AM
Bathroom remodel update (because I know you want to know).  Last night we went, again, to the paint store.  But now that we have tile to match, we have to get serious about paint.  We picked a lavender color that I LOVE with a just darker than white for ceiling and trim (window sill, etc). We then spent about an hour trying to figure out towel bars.  Due to the weird configuration of our bathroom (a long skinny rectangle with a bite taken out of it) we don't actually have a wall that makes sense for a bar that is longer than 21 inches.  So we are looking into a double bar and a bunch of hooks.  We even toyed with doing only hooks, but I think there are times when one wants a bar (I'm not sure when those are, but I imagine they exist).

Question about paint quality-- how much does it matter where you get your paint?  Sherman Williams or Lowes?  The color we picked is from Sherman Williams, but their paint is about 3x as expensive as Lowes, and we have a lot of Lowes store credit. Does it make a difference?  Will Lowes be able to do an exact color match using their matchy computer thing?  We also could buy from Ace, as there is an independent one in the neighborhood that we like to support.  Does it matter?
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-10 10:57 AM
Does your workperson have a preference? I've found that the people doing the work often have a preference as to the company paint they use. Colour match shouldn't be a problem, most can basically match what you give as a sample.
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2018-01-10 11:31 AM
We have hooks in our master bathroom, and that led to wet towels that touch the drywall, and now mold.  So if you get hooks, get long ones that keep the towels off the the wall.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-01-10 2:14 PM
We have a double bar near the shower and then a circle thing near each sink.  This was a good solution for us.  The bar allows towels to dry easier, I think.  There are floor standing towel bars as well; that may be a solution for you.
Parent - By Gunna [es] Date 2018-01-10 2:18 PM
We have a double bar too and it works well. Except that H keeps taking "my" towel! He thinks it doesn't matter but of course it does.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-11 10:45 AM
I like towel bars better than hooks because the towel can be spread out and therefore dries faster than if it is all wadded up on a hook.
Parent - - By Gunna [es] Date 2018-01-10 2:22 PM
Today was rather cloudy so after lunch I decided to be very spontaneous and jumped on a bus to Santa Cruz, the main city on the island. Couldn't bare to hang around the hotel all day. Except that I got on the wrong bus, wanted the express but took the other one so it took a very long time to get there! And when I finaly got there I had very little time and only managed to do a little shopping. Thought it was a bit of a waste of time but on the way back I sat next to a Norwegian lady and we started talking. It was a very interesting discussion, she has lived here for 13 years and loves travelling like I do. She's been to Iceland among other places. So, I feel it wasn't a waste at all. You never know!
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-01-11 8:29 AM
:grin:  It's nice to meet interesting people.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Catching up Tues NRR