Up Topic Communities / Masters / We are in! Daily 1/9
- - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-09 7:03 AM
Good Morning folks

post what you got
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-09 7:30 AM
Oh, yea!  I have missed my friends!
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-01-09 7:55 AM
Good morning.

Put me down for 4 foggy miles at the park. It was 35° but my feet slipped on ice a few times, usually when I was pushing off while going uphill. Touch to tell on the asphalt, what was wet and what was frozen.

I've been running water on cold nights since we lived here, but I never really knew if it was necessary. Our attic is well insulated and the pipes are wrapped in foam. So for a few nights last week, I did not run water, and on Sunday morning the hot water was frozen.  The cold water probably survived because we have a toilet that runs every few minutes and I have been procrastinating fixing it.

So now I know that 0° will freeze the pipes and I will go back to running water on single digit nights. In my opinion, there should be a law that you can't build houses without assuring that pipes won't freeze down to about 40° below. 

I opened the door to the attic and did what I could to get warm air up there.  By early afternoon, the water was running again and nothing burst.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-09 8:15 AM
wow. you would think that all you have done would take care of the pipes. careful out there. it's a mess here
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-09 9:46 AM
Our pipes are all foam wrapped and we've not had any problems.  And the actual temps hit -20 a couple days last week.  I wonder if it just because you are in an area that is not supposed to be that cold for that long.  ?    The only thing I do differently in the way cold is to leave the cabinet doors open on the sink vanity in the 2nd floor bath.  We only use the 2nd floor when the kids are home so the water rarely runs through those pipes.
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-01-09 7:58 AM
Hi Geel and everyone.  Glad we are back up and running (no pun intended). 

8 miles this morning in thick fog.  Even with my headlamp it was darker than usual all around me. 

We missed school yesterday due to some icy spots on the roads.  School is back in session today. 

Makayla got up this morning and asked if there was school today.  I said yes, and she moaned.  She hasn't been to school since December 15 and still doesn't want to go back.  Her mouth is finally healing from her oral surgery last week.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-09 8:15 AM
sleeping in is my drug of choice. Good luck today Makayla
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-09 9:49 AM
Our local news did a story on the bus company employee that travels all the roads in the school district to determine if it is safe to have school.  I guess I never knew there was such a person.  The story was really interesting - the news caster was in the back seat while they did the route this morning.  The driver kept reiterating how she had to keep to a strict time schedule so her bus drivers would have enough time to warm up the buses if indeed there was school.  Made me think of my favorite bus driver.:wink:

Continued healing to Makayla - this has gone on too long.:sad:
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-01-09 11:26 AM
:happy:  I think our district's transportation director gets out early and checks out the roads, but not ALL the roads in the district.  If one part of the district is bad, then the whole district shuts down. 
Thank you!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-09 9:41 AM
Morning all.  Yoga every day while the forums were down.  Yoga every day this year in fact!  It is hard to explain how easy it seems to do but how shot my muscles are afterwards.  Broke out the heating pad a couple of times.  Then I just kind of got to liking wrapping the heating pad around my feet everynight before I fall asleep so that's a new thing.  and my PF loves it.

Our temps rose 30-40 degrees depending upon how you calculate it and while that is all well and good warmer temps bring precipitation.  We got hit with an ice storm (took 30 minutes to go around a city block!) yesterday and today we are socked in with fog.   Really, I felt warmer when it was 20 below.  I think all that frigid air and sunshine had an insulating effect on the house.

Sun should be out by noon and melt all this crap.  My dog needs a long long walk!

And please weigh in on this:  I received an offer thru  my running club for group marathon training.  $100 gets you a written 16 week plan and a group long run on Saturdays.  I think the price is outrageous.  I can find a plan online and do long runs on the weekends with friends for free.  Maybe that's the going rate though....curious if any of you have paid for group training.  Oh, and this is for first time marathoners - no time goals.  And the coach's pre req is only that at the current time you can run/walk 3 miles.
Parent - - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-09 9:44 AM
interesting. Do you get a coach's advice when you need it?  Other than that, I can think of 3 plans that I bought that you can have for free. Plus, if you show up for a group run, will they turn you away because you didn't pay? 100 is steep.

It's 36* here and I feel like the first day of spring.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-09 9:52 AM
I don't intend to run another marathon but I thought it might be fun to tag along on the Saturday run.  I wondered the same thing - would they turn me away because I hadn't paid?  And if the fee included the race registration then I would say the price is right.  But it doesn't.  Just seems steep.

Oh yeah, it definitely feels like Spring.  I can even see the grass in spots.  February is going to be a heck of a reality check.:roll:
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-09 10:41 AM
LOL!! So far this winter is brutal. Depression set in fairly quickly this year.

I just made a beautiful batch of oatmeal raisin and choc chip muffins for breakfast. Morgan has a hard time eating first thing. Muffins help.
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-01-09 11:18 AM
Watch out!! I joined the long runs of a group that was training for Chicago in 2002 and ended up doing the stupid race with them. I don't think I paid any thing for the training.  I ran into an older guy at a 5k and he told me about the group that was headed by his daughter.  She had some training on leading groups from Jeff Galloway.  (Obviously using the Galloway run/walk method.)  I think he just appreciated the company of another slower person.

If the person puts together the training, offers help during the training cycle, and assists the long run like ours did by putting out water and Gatorade along the way, I think it would be worth the money. Whether it is worth it just to do some of the long runs and not even do the race, I couldn't say for sure.
Parent - - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-09 9:45 AM
I'm waiting until 1pm to go outside to run. I think most of the ice will be gone.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-01-09 1:27 PM
1PM today, tomorrow, or March 14th?
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-09 2:47 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-09 11:54 AM
58 degrees and sunny!  My friend and I went out for a 4.0 mile hike at our local park.  Lots of people out there.  My husband is out golfing so now I have the house all to myself.

Need to do some homework and pretty much just enjoy the day.

Stay warm!
Parent - - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-09 1:19 PM
5 miles. in feels like 39* wow I'll take it! slushy run.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-09 3:11 PM
yay!!   How's your girl's hair?
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-09 3:20 PM
she goes tonight.  I bought a groupon for a new salon that has been having trouble opening. so I'm sending her to the crappy girl across the street.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-01-09 1:47 PM
I'm back too.   I was thinking that maybe I was blocked out of the forum for not working out.  

Life has been a blurr these past 2 weeks.   Lots going on with Code Purple.  Good news is that we don't think we lost anybody due to cold.  A couple regulars unseen but we think they are holed up with friends or family.  Lots of amazing stories to share and my head is still spinning.  

I really need to get out and run, walk, skip, jump or something. Hopefully this afternoon.  Lots going on with elder care, and the plot just thickened.  

Tom in DE
Parent - - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-09 2:47 PM
all that sunshine. and no gloves!!
Parent - By Ron274 [us] Date 2018-01-10 11:16 AM
No run today, but 32.5 on the bike. glad were back up. Missed all your smiling faces.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / We are in! Daily 1/9