Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Weekend RR
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-06 8:52 AM
Since we already have an NRR thread for the week (and conveniently the new week starts on Monday...)
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-06 8:53 AM
Sitting waiting for RN to text that she's ready to start. We were supposed to start at 6:30. She isn't ready yet. I do hope she's up at least.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-08 10:15 AM
We did 22 miles on Saturday. Started out with a rough plan of our route but improvised as we went. We changed the course a few times just because we could.

"Which way should we go?"
"Have you ever been up that street?"
"No. Have you?"
"Yes, and it's a bitch of a hill loop."
"Let's go!"

Did one loop towards the end of the run and I now know why I normally run it in a counterclockwise direction. The elevation gain is the same, but if you run it counterclockwise, most of the uphills are gentle slopes and the downhills are steep. If you run it clockwise, the downhills are gentle, the uphills are NOT. Guess which way RN wanted to do it. It grew warm and windy and I ran out of water not far from the end. We stopped at every bathroom along the way, I think -- 2 parks, 2 *$s, one McDonald's, one grocery store, a couple of trees.

However, we conquered. 22 miles total for me, a bit more for RN since she sometimes circled back after running ahead. I am pleased with myself. Good start for the first long run of the year!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-01-06 9:58 AM
my back is feeling kinda tight today, so I just did my yoga and will probably only do 1-2 TM miles. All I have to do is 1 to keep the streak going!
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-01-06 11:26 AM
I ran 14.3 frosty miles this morning.  It was a relatively fast run, especially considering that I'm tired.  It was in the mid 20s with a little bit of a breeze.  Nice weather for running, though I have a hard time getting clothing right.  I start out as soon as it begins to get light because there's less traffic first thing on a weekend morning, and I'm usually ok for the first hour or so and usually it's getting warmer by the end of the run, but sometime in the middle there I tend to get cold.  I know -- I do actually get cold sometimes. :laugh:  My hands are the worst because of Raynaud's, but in general I'm wary of overdressing because I sweat easily and if I overdress and start sweating, I definitely will get cold!  Ah well.  I guess I can deal with painfully cold hands.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-06 12:29 PM
'Allo! Wondering if anyone here has experience with Persian type cooking? I got the America's Test Kitchen cookbook this fall and they have a recipe for persian rice with golden crust that looks nommy...but as they sometimes do, their quest to make the "best" version of a recipe seems to to have resulted in something really super-duper fussy. I am wondering if it's worth trying a more streamlined version, or if I am doomed to failure?
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-06 1:42 PM
I have some. Haven't seen the ATK recipe, but rice doesn't have to be super fancy. Which elements of their recipe flavours do you like best?
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-06 1:48 PM
This one gives the bare base for the crust -
https://www.saveur.com/persian-rice-tahdig-recipe

And this is one slightly expanded approach, and not too fussy. Many ingredients are just spices. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12377-david-taniss-persian-jeweled-rice
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-08 9:52 AM
I was going to suggest that one...basically it's rice cooked with a little oil or butter and without stirring to create the crusty bottom, with the spices being the big variable, isn't it?

MG, do you use olive oil or another kind of oil or something like Earth Balance?
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-09 7:57 AM
I've used both olive oil and earth balance (they have a free-from most everything variety). I find the olive oil works better in this recipe.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-01-06 2:57 PM
Try it!  What's the worst that can happen?  You can always order a pizza.  : pbbt:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-09 7:59 AM
My mum always had that attitude when trying something new in the kitchen. She is not one who likes to cook, and has little experience, but if she gets it to try, she'll try and always plan for a backup like rice/beans or some such. It takes off the pressure and expectations.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-06 2:20 PM
Swam with a whale today. That is all.:cool:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-01-06 2:57 PM
:cool::cool:  More details needed, Jonah!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-08 9:51 AM
Wow!
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-09 7:59 AM
:cool:
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2018-01-09 12:40 PM
:shocker!::cool::cool::cool:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Weekend RR