Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / I need a race
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-05 5:35 PM
(cross posting in L&O and Marathons)

Here's the situation. I was supposed to go to a convention in Orlando last September. You may remember that there was some rather inclement weather around that time. Convention was cancelled. I was booked on Southwest so could cancel the ticket. I have a year from the date I booked the ticket (May 9) to use the $335 credit.

I cannot use that credit for anyone else, I tried, nor can I use it for a business trip and get reimbursed. I myself must use it. It expires before Pinelands.

I am not inclined to flush that money down the drain. So...I want to go to a race.

Criteria:
1) Trip must be completed before May 9, 2018.
2) Race must be open for registration. I don't want to do a charity entry because the race is closed.
3) Full or ultra. If a trail race, the longer the time limit the better.
4) If I'm going to travel, I'd like to add a state. The ones I do not have and am not yet signed up for a race in: Alaska, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, Washington. Oh, and the District of Columbia.
5) I like small races rather than big ones, don't need crowds or bling or lots of schwag.
6) FE potential is a BIG plus.
7) Definitely not the weekend of March 31-April 1st. That's Easter.
8) The cheaper the better for both race registration and lodging.

Suggestions?
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-06 7:22 AM
Rock n Roll is in DC on 10 March. It's 125 for the marathon though, so pricy. And a large race. I'd love to FE with you though, and am happy to host you.

http://www.runrocknroll.com/dc/
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-06 8:50 AM
Thanks, that is a very generous offer! But R&R....they're big, noisy, and seem to be aimed more at the people who want big medals, bands along the course, and lots of distractions.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-01-06 10:12 AM
which is why they are perfect for me...: pbbt:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-06 1:40 PM
You're welcome as well, if you are considering it this year. :hug:
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-01-06 10:12 AM Edited 2018-01-06 10:15 AM
Here are some ultra trails in FL and if you do them before April you have a shot at not dying of heat

http://www.runningintheusa.com/Classic/List.aspx?DateRange=All&Distance=Ultra&State=FL&Event-Type=Trail-Run

OMG I would try this one just for the name alone

http://www.floridastriders.com/angrytortoise
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-01-06 11:12 AM
If you were interested in Long Play on March 4 in Brooksville I could see myself hosting you and driving up with you and doing the 13 mile loop and you do the 33 1/3 loop (hence Long Play name). Its only about an hour and half from Tampa tops. It is slightly rolling hills on trails up there, you may share the trail with horses and hikers.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-08 10:50 PM
That is a definite possibility!
Parent - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2018-01-10 11:43 AM
I'd need to know soon if I was going to do a half I'd need to start ramping up long run like this weekend....
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2018-01-10 7:42 AM
If this ends up happening, keep me posted. I might like to join you both for the day. :grin::cool:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-10 12:10 PM Edited 2018-01-10 12:15 PM
$75 for the longest race. Not bad.

Fly into Tampa on Friday and fly out again Monday? Is 3 nights OK? That would be great!

Beastie Girl was suggesting Delaware and that was appealing also but I now have a business trip that weekend.

Start ramping up the training, NSF! And thank you. I'll PM you with flight details!
Parent - - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2018-01-11 12:40 PM
Well it appears I'm running 13 while Tessa runs 33 1/3. :shocker!::laugh:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-11 4:35 PM
You can do the longer one...:evil:...next year.

Will Gavin want to come and run a few miles or maybe volunteer? Unless you and he think he's up for 13.1.
Parent - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2018-01-11 4:38 PM
no he isn't old enough to leave by himself and he can't run 13
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-10 2:33 PM
Registered! RT, you in?

Um...they have an 8 hour time limit. I'm guessing I can drop to the full if I don't think I can make the full 33 1/3 in 8 hours, but I hope I can pull this off in 8 hours.
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2018-01-10 4:32 PM
I am in for the half!:hug: It will be a quick trip for me though as I've got quite a few plans up my sleeve this year already.:grin:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-10 5:20 PM
Do we need to call you and wake you up this time? : pbbt:
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2018-01-10 8:39 PM
Oh probably.:grin:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-11 10:44 AM
We could let off a cannon like they did at Chickamauga...
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2018-01-10 5:33 PM
I'm not always around the forum but if you guys won't be at the race site entire time let me know if you are all up for an FE and what day as I'd have to plan with DH.  I'm not allowed to run until around April so definitely no racing.  T you probably still have my cell number and I have NSF and think I have her email too and she should have mine.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-11 10:43 AM
That would be great! I have changed cells since then but...nope...don't have yours. My email is the same, though, firstnamelastname at sbcglobal dot net. I think I might have your email if it is the same. I will PM you my cell number.

I come in on Friday afternoon and leave Monday late morning, I think. The race is Sunday.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2018-01-11 12:41 PM
Maybe you can both visit Saturday? I've got soccer with Gavin but you both could FE? Apparently I'm running a half now. I should go register.
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2018-01-11 12:48 PM
You all can let me know as it gets closer.  Was hoping to get to FE with you as well NSF.  I just have to plan to try to keep DH from a work trip or other commitment so I can be kid free for once.  Hopefully out of my boot permanently by then since apparently my surgeon said boot for six weeks but he meant six weeks 24/7 but not permanently out of it at six weeks.
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2018-01-11 2:35 PM
I'd love to do dinner on Saturday if we could make it work-I'm getting in to TPA at 6 PM though, so it would have to be around 7 or so.
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-01-15 6:29 AM
Ok I am PM my phone to you. I didn't realize you were coming too!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-11 4:36 PM
Happy to go and cheer Gavin's soccer game with you. What time is the game?
Parent - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2018-01-11 4:38 PM
1030 usually
Up Topic Communities / Women / I need a race