Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / 1/4/2018 - Friday Eve Dailies
- - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-01-04 6:05 AM
It's interesting to watch the storm make it's way up the east coast.

Here it is just kind of cold. Not getting out of the teens today and headed back to single digits tonight.

251 work days left in 2018.  (If you're not retired, you may have less, we don't get some of the national holidays at my office.)
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-01-04 6:07 AM
I had an overnight software update so I had to sign-in to work early and make sure everything is working. So far, so good.

Once I am sure everything is calm I will bundle up and head to the park for a run.  I'll have to wait until at least 8:00.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-04 6:28 AM
Happy Birthday! frozen birthday boy!
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-04 6:33 AM
Happy Birthday Dave!
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-04 6:57 AM
Happy Happy!
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-01-04 7:05 AM
Happy Birthday, Dave!
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-01-04 11:19 AM
It took until 11:00 before the dust settled at work. I went over to the park and ran 4 miles. It was 18°, so not too bad, but when the wind gusted it was tough. If you were going into the wind, the gusts were ice cold. With the wind, the gusts nearly blew me over.  It was snowing lightly and had been for a while this morning.  It was enough to cover up occasional spots of ice on the road.  One gust from behind hit just as I stepped on one of those spots and i just about went down.

Sure felt great to get outside and run in the cold. I have been wimping out and going to the gym too much.

If work behaves, I'm going to cut out early.  Cindy and I may go get phone upgrades and then go out to dinner somewhere for my birthday. Cindy's parents were generous at Christmas this year and we'll use some of what they gave us for new phones. Ours are a few years old and starting to shows signs of age. Not as much battery life, and in my case, some cracks and dents where I dropped over the years.  I could use one with more memory too as I am forced into installing more and more apps.  The City of Huntington swapped out their parking meters that used coins to ones where you pay with a phone app.  So I need to get that installed.  I believe the parking garage I use when I go into the office is going to do the same thing.  (Maybe they take credit cards too. I just haven't looked into it yet because I only have been in town on weekends when parking is free.)
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-04 12:33 PM
I call discrimination against those of us who don't use smart phones.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-01-04 1:02 PM
Better get with the program.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-04 1:07 PM
:laugh:  never.:laugh:
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-01-04 1:17 PM
I'm surprised you use automobiles and not a horse and buggy.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-04 1:31 PM
:shocker!::laugh::laugh::laugh:

yeah get a phone so we can video chat!
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-04 1:35 PM
oh that automobile....it hasn't been out of the garage since Monday.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2018-01-04 4:13 PM
I didn't know you could buy a non-smart phone because we tried when we went to buy a replacement phone for my MIL and non were available.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-04 5:00 PM
I didn't buy it.  When the girls upgraded they threw their old phones in the junk drawer.  I resurrect them as needed.  I can probably go a couple more years.  And, (dear Apple) I can go almost a month on one charge with these old ones.
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-01-04 6:21 AM
I don't want to hear any of us complain this summer about how hot it is.: pbbt:  -3 windchill this morning with a dusting of snow on the roads.  I ran 6 miles.  I thought school might be cancelled since it does not take much snow to shut things down around here, but we are still a go.

Makayla's mouth is hurting where she had her wisdom teeth removed yesterday.  She has ibuprofen, hydrocone, and antibiotics, plus Isaac taking care of her.  

Ryan is driving home tonight so that he and Melissa can go to Melissa's grandmother's funeral tomorrow. 

I am not retired, but I have reached teacher retirement eligibility in Kentucky and that's a pretty good feeling.  It would probably be an even better feeling if I just retired, but I'll keep going for a little while longer.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-04 6:32 AM
I love the heat. I loved those 90*+ days in MS.

looks like we got about 2=3 inches of snow. it is blowing around crazy like with gusts up to 25mph.  feels like 6

wow what a week. I hope Makayla feels better sooner than later. Im sorry for you loss again. :hug:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-04 6:35 AM
I hear you!  We are just like Goldilocks -- too hot, too cold, we want it just right!

Be careful out there and I hope Makayla has less pain today.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-04 7:00 AM
Safe Travels to Ryan - so glad he will be there with Melissa.  Big hugs to Makayla. 

I don't see you retiring soon, I think you enjoy your students too much.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-04 6:36 AM
Dave,
I think it is neat how you have choice of going in or working from home.  I would have loved that flexibility.
Parent - - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-04 6:44 AM
Good Morning.

No school. it's okay. it's nasty out there today.

No run. will do  yoga and clear the drive way.  My local yoga center sent out a free class online. I'll give that a try.

romaine lettuce e coli outbreak. I threw away some salad today. we have been eating more of it again. now I wait. I think I need to go back to never buying greens again.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-04 7:02 AM
After 2 days of yoga and driveway clearing I broke out the heating pad for my lower back.  today is too cold to snow, I like it.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-04 7:24 AM
:hug: enjoy your nap!
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-01-04 7:25 AM
I eat a lot of romaine lettuce.  I haven't heard that news.  I think I might skip the salad tonight.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-04 7:09 AM
Same old same old here.  Good thing I'm a creature of habit.   8 or 9 below.  Windchlls -20's maybe.   After your face freezes it all feels the same.   The encouraging word though is that we on average get 11 below zero days per winter.  We've already had 8 of them.  Surely summer is right around the corner - only 6 months or so away!:laugh:

Yoga and dog walking today; I pretty much have the park to myself.   Too cold to get to the library so I'm pillaging books from Amy's stash.  Rummaged through a dozen before I found 2 that weren't post apocalyptic nonsense.  I think I brought the wrong baby home from the hospital.:roll:
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-01-04 7:24 AM
:laugh::laugh:Post apocalyptic nonsense.  Ryan's books in his room are pretty much in the same category. 

It's gonna be a long, cold winter!
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-04 7:26 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I've enjoyed some of that genre. lol. desperate times girl!
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-04 10:29 AM
Just returned from my 4.34 miles PW with my friend.  And I have done my 30 second plank and one pushup.  I am set for the day.

It is sunny and 46 degrees.  Now that is a Texas winter day.

You guys be careful and stay warm!
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-01-04 11:32 AM
46?  I'm dreaming of those "warm" days.:grin:
Parent - - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-04 1:32 PM
I broke a sweat reading about it :happy:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-04 1:45 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2018-01-04 12:44 PM
Happy Birthday Dave!

It’s snowing and blowing like crazy here. Can’t see past a couple of buildings- maybe a couple hundred feet of visibility. I’m at the apartment with the crockpot going and I’ve already cooked some chicken and hot sausage, onions and peppers in a basil, tomato, and garlic sauce. Even if I lose power I can still light my gas stove so I can eat- I’m prepared for the worst. The good thing about being so close to the hospital is a shorter duration of power outages :grin:

In a little while I’m going out for a walk.

:grin:
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-04 1:08 PM
I bet your dinner smells amazing!  Enjoy the storm and be safe.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-04 1:32 PM
yum!
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-04 1:46 PM
That dinner sounds so good and I bet the scent just warms up your apartment.
- - By Ron274 [us] Date 2018-01-04 11:54 AM
Happy Birthday Dave! Have a great day. Well, I had an 8:40 AM tee time but they shut the course until 9:00 AM due to a hard frost. :shocker!: it was 28 degrees but I was ready and dressed for it. So, plan " B ". I headed for the gym and, drum roll please, actually ran a little. :wink: Not far, maybe 3/4 mile, the cycling legs rebeled of course and breathing was out of sync but heck, it felt good. So good in fact Jean and I signed up for a 5k series starting Jan. 13th. I'm in no way going back to Ultras but 5ks would be nice now and then.
Have a great day everyone, stay warm and as always, RUN SAFE.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-04 12:34 PM
:happy:
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-04 1:33 PM
well that didn't take long. :happy::hug:
Up Topic Communities / Masters / 1/4/2018 - Friday Eve Dailies