Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Nutrition / Weight Watchers Freestyle - 2018
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-03 1:24 PM
New year, new plan, anyone else still doing WW?
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-03 1:47 PM
I got asked by PM this morning about the new Freestyle plan and about WW. Yes, I'm still going. I'm a lifetime member who's 20 pounds above goal weight, so I'm currently having to pay for meetings and online access, but determined to get these pounds off again.

The Freestyle program debuted in December 2017 and so far I like it much better than Points Plus or Smartpoints. Neither of those two plans was particularly friendly to vegetarians. I was definitely unimpressed at having half a cup of cooked beans (just beans, no cheese or oil or anything to dress them up) being 1/6 of my daily points allowance. The only non-animal protein source that wasn't high in points was tofu, and IMHO plain tofu is not worth the effort of chewing and swallowing. Nasty stuff.

The biggest change is that the points allowance has decreased but a large number of foods have been added to the zero points list, including starchy items like peas, corn, beans, and lentils; you count anything added like cheese but you don't count the vegetables or legumes. Plain nonfat Greek yogurt and whole eggs are also on the zero points list, which aren't vegan but which do give vegetarians more options without having to count points for them. If you're not a vegetarian, lean poultry and fish are also no points. So, for instance, if you make low fat hummus using chickpeas and a bit of sesame oil rather than tahini or olive oil, that's practically no points and works well for snacking.

The emphasis on fitpoints/activity points has decreased, activity is still encouraged however it's more for your general wellbeing and health rather than "I ran 3 miles so I can eat this much".

Also, if you have a day where you don't eat all your points, you can carry over up to 4 a day for use later in the week. So if your allowance is 23 per day and you consume 20 points on each of 3 days, you could carry 9 over for the weekend. That's two glasses of wine.

I lost the original weight on Momentum (2010 plan) which was strict on total points but didn't consider the sugar content of various foods as much as the subsequent plans have done.

If you have just rejoined WW, or if it's been a while, I would recommend going to a meeting to learn more about the Freestyle program if you can. If you're online only, take a look at the new materials. And give it a chance -- I am finding this much more user friendly than the previous plans, and I think this is going to work.
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-01-10 11:26 PM
I was just reading the list of zero point foods the other day.  There's a lot of good stuff on that list.
Parent - - By JimGo1 Date 2018-03-13 8:34 AM
I'm running and using the ketogenic diet for 2018.   So far wow losing a lot of weight which isn't really why I'm doing it.   I'm finally getting fat adapted and starting to lose cravings for sugar and high carb foods.   Bread and beer was tough to let go of.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-03-16 2:28 PM
Do you still have energy for your runs? What is the longest run that you do?
Up Topic General / Nutrition / Weight Watchers Freestyle - 2018