Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / 2018 Goals/2017 Recap
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-02 5:51 PM
How did the year go? Here's the link to last year's thread:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-02 6:00 PM
From 2017: The weight has gone in the wrong direction. I have a number of incentives to lose it, though -- races, filming another series of lectures in March, clothes too tight. And I know what is causing it: alcohol and sugar. If I can control both of those I should be dropping pounds.

I did add 3 more states. New Mexico, Kansas, and Georgia. Hoping to add a few more in 2017 -- I am signed up for Missoula (MT) in July.

House projects: not done. I didn't have the money to do the master bedroom and I didn't have the time to do the books. Maybe this year if I'm not teaching courses I've never led before and have to prepare all the materials.

DD should be done with school in July 2017 if all goes well.

Other goals: >3000 miles, which means an average of >60 mpw.

Stay uninjured. Every fall is more damage and I seem to be falling more frequently, mostly on my left knee and left ribs.

Manage money better. This may be easier once DD is done.

Weight has basically plateaued. If I can stick to Dry January/Veganuary that might kick start the loss.

Added one state: Montana. And that was by the skin of my teeth.

Not only did we take out the carpet, strip the popcorn, paint, and refloor the master bedroom, but we also remodeled to split the master bedroom into two smaller rooms so the house now has 4 bedrooms. One for each occupant. That was an achievement.

DD did finish school but she is going to have to go out of state again for a year to work before she can get licensed in California. This has meant a serious hole in my finances.

3000 miles? Hah hah hah. Finished up the year with 2293.

Stay uninjured -- more or less.

Goals for 2018:
Back to goal. This WW Freestyle program has promise.
Signed up for Pinelands in Maine on Memorial Day weekend. Other than that I have not registered for any races. I can't justify signing up for anything until I am in better shape financially. Not teaching any classes in the summer and only one in the fall has really hurt my financial situation, I can't support four people on my income.
Still want to stay uninjured, get as close to 3000 miles as possible, and try to be in better financial shape by the end of 2018.
Parent - - By laxrunner Date 2018-01-03 2:12 PM
2,293 is still pretty impressive to me!

I've never heard of Pinelands. Will you get to check out the coast while you're up there?
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-03 5:09 PM

I don't know how much we'll see. Probably not nearly as much as I would like...but enough to see something of Maine! Want to come? A group of running women have rented a house for the weekend. If you do want to join in, let me know so I can PM you the group name and a code to get a discount on the registration.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-02 6:13 PM
From 2017:
- still swimming through the winter.
- trying pole dancing. once this intro class is done I hope to get into a regular routine of pole, aerial and/or yoga.  Would like to do one of those twice a week as well as swimming at least twice a week.  Want to stay healthy an injury free!!
- keep loving MCF
- continue to grow in my job.  I'm guessing by the end of 2017 I might be looking for what is next for me professionally, but right now I'm really happy right where I am!!

Well, I swam through the winter, for the second time.
I tried Pole Dancing but didn't love it.  I liked the athleticism, but the studio taught "boudoir dance" and I found the pressure to dance sexy was not fun. I might try pole again, in less of a stripper and more of an athlete place. I am doing yoga about twice a week now, using the online studio.
MCF and I are doing well. ups and downs but that seems to be us.
I have grown a lot in my job, and although I keep my eyes open for other things, I'm not actively looking.

For 2018
- Another winter swimming through the winter and building community with my awesome open water swim friends.
- I'll do at least the winter/spring Synchro season, and if there is opportunity for a beginners synchro performance, I want to perform!
- keep up the yoga or something similar to balance out the swimming and strengthen the core.
- finish the coursework for my Personal Trainer certificate and pass the certifying exam.

So basically continuing the trend.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-01-03 6:48 AM
I didn't have any 2017 goals, probably because I just had a baby so it would have been "keep baby alive" - guess I checked that off!

I normally don't do resolutions but I do have some goals:
1. weight loss and healthier eating (should go hand in hand)
2. start running again - more for the joy of it as opposed to just exercise and hopefully reclaim the old me
3. make a positive impact on those around me. I don't know what this looks like and it is definitely abstract but I've struggled with it for a long time feeling like I have more to give than I do.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-01-03 10:09 AM
that was my goal last year too. Good job mama :cool:

good luck with the goals. It's tough to find the energy to do it all - but we have to find a way to keep some part of our old selves.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-03 8:04 AM
Looks like I started the thread last year but never shared my goals :laugh:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-01-03 8:36 AM
Thankfully, I posted no goals last year :laugh: I had a 5 month old. She's still alive and thriving, so one goal accomplished!

This year: I decided to join the mileage challenge, and I hope to hit 1000 miles. Just signed up for this race in April to get me motivated: (the 15K not the 5K)

Also hope to run a half.

Also would like to continue my commitment to yoga. I'm currently doing a 30 day yoga challenge for January, coupled with my run at least a mile a day for January thing. Post January, I'm hoping to stick to at least 2-3 times a week. I'm so inflexible and my strength has really taken a big hit since P was born, so I'm hoping to stick with this for awhile.

NRR: get pregnant again!
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-01-03 10:44 AM
I've never posted on one of these threads before - I think I've always been scared  to commit myself.  :laugh:

But I do certainly have some goals for this year so I might as well lay them out there -

Work towards my goal of completing a half-marathon in every province.  (I've got four provinces left.)  I'm signed up for a half in Montreal in March so that will move me closer to this goal.  Not sure if I will be able to get in another one this year - the provinces that are left are all far away, hence expensive to get to, and are small, hence don't have a lot of races to choose from.  I need races that are friendly to slow people - no point signing up for something where I'll be an hour behind the second-last finisher - so that's another constraint. 

Commit to getting in 10,000 steps a day at least five days a week.  I've been working on this for a couple of months now and the 10,000-step benchmark has been quite motivational in things like encouraging me to walk to and from work, rather than taking the bus, or taking breaks from my desk and going for a little meander around the building.  I've signed up for the forum step challenge so hopefully my sense of accountability to my teammates will help me stick with this through the year. 

I think that's it!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-03 1:14 PM
Which provinces will you have left? The Maritimes?

Are you including the territories also? (Set a half-marathon PR if you sight a polar bear on the course...)
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-01-03 1:55 PM
After Quebec I'll have PEI, Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.  Including the territories is too difficult - Yukon and NWT wouldn't be too hard, but the only option that I could find in Nunavut, with round trip travel & accommodation, for one person, would be about $5K.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-03 2:00 PM
Damn. There's a market there if someone wants to start offering a race or two, I would think. I just did a quick Google and found no marathons or halfs at all in Nunavut.

The three provinces you have left sound very scenic. After listening to Come from Away a number of times I would like to visit Newfoundland...
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-01-03 2:10 PM
Interesting... after much digging, looks like the Nunavut race I had found before ran in 2017, but the cost had gone up to $9K.  :cry:  No info on whether it will happen again in 2018, but unless some Nigerian prince comes through with a bucket of cash for me, it will not be an option!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-03 3:13 PM
I could see seeing a polar bear on a run, but I'm not sure how one sees a beluga! That seems like a more likely sighting in my current sport!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-01-03 3:53 PM
I hadn't thought about that, but yeah, that's a really good point!  :laugh:  Maybe the belugas pop their heads out of the water to watch the runners go by?
Parent - - By laxrunner Date 2018-01-03 2:08 PM
Great goals! I just got a Fitbit and am paying more attention to steps, too.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-01-03 2:12 PM
It really is helpful, isn't it?  I was amazed at first how hard it was to consistently hit 10K steps as I think of myself as a person who walks a lot, but eventually I had to recognise that that self-image was based on my habits from eight or ten years ago, rather than my habits of today.  :blush:
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-03 11:48 AM
I seem to have missed out on this thread for 2017, but about 8 months of that was taken up with medical issues that left my goals more along the lines of "sit up for 2 minutes today" and "walk to the other side of the room without collapsing" or "keep down more than 2 mouthfuls of food at a time", so I suppose that omission is all to the good as all ambitions would surely have been dashed. Thankfully I am much better to start 2018, although not quite hale and whole, and ready to put out some goals.

(1) Stay alive and relatively functional.

(2) Do what I can mentally and physically, recognize what is most important when there are competing priorities and limited time/energy, get myself to do what needs to be done (i.e., do not be nervous about testing boundaries if needed, how else will I know where they are?), and hopefully come out the other side.

(3) Have an article set for publication/peer review. This will require me to get sorted on my research agenda and focus a bit; I'm a bit at a loss as to how to draw together my ideas/interests/research or how to determine that they are not compatible and then focus on one separately. (Even with all that was going on, I worked through 2 articles for publication in 2017 that will be published in the first half of 2018; I'm now floundering a bit in the direction of my research agenda and need to get my grounding.)

(4) Some kind of purposeful movement (was it reebs who came up with that?) every day. Depending on my capabilities, that may mean deciding to reach down and touch my toes. It might mean walking 4 miles. It might mean a 30 minute yoga class. It might mean a 10 minute yoga session. It might even mean going for a run - who knows. But something. It is good for my continuing physical recovery and good for me mentally.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-01-03 5:26 PM
:hug:  I know, at least from an observer standpoint, how difficult it can be when health issues get in the way of basic functioning.  I like the goal of purposeful movement.  That allows you to accommodate changing physical capability while still working toward a goal.  And of course staying alive is a good goal; "don't die" is always the first goal when I run. :laugh:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-04 9:24 AM
:hug: Yes, it gets very frustrating, especially the unpredictability of it all. One day (or even one moment) I am fine, and then things fall apart for an unknown length of time until it passes. What you said about accommodating the changes in capability was what I was hoping to handle by phrasing it as purposeful movement, particularly the sense of still feeling that I'm making progress towards a goal even when it seems so inconsequential.

:laugh: - don't die - a paramount goal to be sure!
Parent - - By kcp65 [us] Date 2018-01-06 3:08 PM
Glad to hear that your health challenges may not be as daunting this year. :hug: Thanks for sharing the phrase, "purposeful movement," too. That's one that I will definitely be incorporating into my vocabulary this year.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-09 7:59 AM
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-01-09 8:14 AM
:hug: I'm so sorry to hear about all of your health challenges.  We are all rooting for you. :hug:

I'm not sure if you're comfortable sharing this, but what is your general research area?  Just curious.  If you don't want to share that's fine!
Parent - - By laxrunner Date 2018-01-03 12:51 PM
I failed all of my goals. :cry::laugh:

1. Run a marathon.  Nope
2. Run 1500 miles. Was just shy of 1200. I did (barely) beat 2016 though!
3. Post on the forum more. :blush: :blush:

I think I'll keep the same goals except I will change #1 to run a half marathon. Also, though this isn't really a goal, a big event in 2018 is that I'm getting married. :blush:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-01-03 12:59 PM
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:  Congratulations!   :hug:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-03 1:11 PM
You didn't fail, you delayed the achievement.

A half is more doable than a full.

And congratulations on beating 2016 and your upcoming marriage!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-01-03 3:10 PM
Oh yay!!! Congratulations! What wonderful news!! :hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-01-03 5:22 PM
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-01-04 10:01 AM
Parent - By kcp65 [us] Date 2018-01-06 3:03 PM
Congratulations on the wedding, laxrunner! :hug: 1200 miles is damned impressive, marathon or not, too. :cool:
Parent - - By alaskamom Date 2018-01-04 1:12 AM
Ok, for the last time - I WILL BE BETTER ABOUT POSTING NEXT YEAR!!! :laugh: Really, I will!  But this is my favorite post of the year, I can't miss it! :hug:

Here's 2017:

2017 Goals

1. I will put in for Mt. Marathon again, although Taylor will be headed off to college this year, so I won't mind if I don't get in as my summer travel will probably already be complicated. Will run it for sure if I get in - this would be my 10th year and then I would be classified as a veteran and could run it or skip it any year I wanted to. Oh yeah, finished this, got my 10 years, was SO happy and had an awesome time running it!  I'm a veteran now!! :D

2. Run Ballyhoo, a PR would be awesome, but improbable as I've been running it for over 20 years now. But have a great training season and not get injured! I hurt my leg on an easy hike this year, and it reminded me how quickly you can get injured, and how scary it is if you are by yourself (I wasn't) which I usually am.  Well, I did it, but was really slow, but had a lot of great practices. :hug:

3. Like last year, just keep getting outside to do something nearly every day, whether it is hiking or running! Got outside quite a bit, probably 3-4 times a week, but considering the kind of year it was, I'm happy with that!

4. Here's a NRR one, which I've never posted one of these - survive Taylor's senior year! :laugh: She's doing great, but there is a lot of stress choosing a college when you are nearly 1000 miles away from the closest one! This was a highlight of the year! :hug: So glad she decided to stay in-state, and she had a great first semester! :hug:

1. We are RETIRING in less than two months!!!!!!!! :cool::cool: Will be moving off the island after nearly 30 years. So I have tons of goals - get in better shape, eat better, etc!

2. I'm very excited about being closer to lots of races, so I just want to do MORE races, whatever they are! :grin: Will probably do Mt. Marathon on July 4th, maybe even a marathon at some point! :cool: The possibilities are endless! :hug:

3. Eat better, do some strength training, stay away from bears!! :shocker!: I'm pretty nervous about moving to the mainland where there are numerous bear attacks every year, but I will stay safe as much as possible.  I will be like one of my Mt. Marathon heroes - a 60-something woman that is always in the top 50 - tough cookie - got mauled by a bear a few days after the race a few years ago.  With the 2 fatal maulings this year, one right out her front door practically during a mountain race, she said in the news - “I just have to go, and just hope for the best,” said Suzanne Knudsen, as she trekked up Bird Ridge on Saturday with a can of bear spray on one shoulder strap and a .44 bear gun on the other."  :hug:
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-01-04 10:03 AM
are you moving close to where your daughter goes to college?
Parent - - By alaskamom Date 2018-01-05 12:40 AM
Yes!  Only about a 6 hour drive, or an hour or so flight.  So much closer than we are now! :grin:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-01-05 9:18 AM
6 hour drive still seems far hahaha but yea way closer than now is great!
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-05 7:13 AM
is a .44 enough to kill a bear?  Or is the idea to hurt one if it's attacking in hopes that it calls off the attack & sees you as too tough of a target? :wtf:

(oh, and I have retirement envy :wink:)
Parent - By alaskamom Date 2018-01-05 11:50 PM
Yes, a .44 will kill a bear - but yeah, I would probably be paralyzed with fear and not be able to get off a shot anyway! :laugh: I'm planning on hiking with other people as much as I can, so hopefully I don't have to worry about it (not like that's always a guarantee, of course).  I love my hikes by myself, but I'm pretty scared of bears, especially with the fatalities, so I'm going to be as careful as possible. 

I feel so lucky that we can retire at such a young age (not that we're that young!:laugh:) but we'll be doing other work, but have more time to do fun stuff. :hug:
Parent - By kcp65 [us] Date 2018-01-06 3:05 PM
I am so envious of your retirement. Good for you! Enjoy every hard-won second of it! :cool::hug:
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2018-01-04 9:28 AM are last year's goals:
My goals for this year are sort of up in the air but I'll put something down.
1-Get pregnant with baby #2 (which might affect other goals) YES, AND FINALLY GOT ONE THAT STUCK! DUE DATE FEB 7
2-Less hard for me! I'm eating chocolate ice cream right now as I type this. BIG FAIL
3-Moderate running and yoga (like around 10 mpw and short yoga sessions at least 2x/week), also run some 5Ks for fun with family/friends I DIDN'T KEEP UP WITH THIS WHILE PREGNANT BUT DID OK IN BETWEEN PREGNANCIES
4-Keep my head above water at work, it seems like we keep getting more and more on our plates without any of the old stuff getting taken off THIS WAS FINE B/C I DON'T CARE AS MUCH ABOUT WORK ANYMORE...: pbbt:

Goals for 2018:
1-survive the newborn phase again with my marriage intact
2-get back to running when my body is ready and also incorporate yoga 1-2x a week
3-possibly run the Bay Bridge 10K in November
4-enjoy the fun moments with our kids, even though we are exhausted and completely worn out (can you tell my 3rd tri exhaustion is completely set in?!)
Parent - By kcp65 [us] Date 2018-01-06 3:06 PM
Congratulations, eastershoregirl! I can relate to the moderate running/yoga goals. There are times when these are more than enough. :hug:
Parent - - By kcp65 [us] Date 2018-01-06 2:59 PM
2017: Definitely not one of my better years in so many ways, but I am grateful that I was able to get back to running. Total for the year: 875.0. This is way down from my pre-fractured-patella marathon training days by about half. I am trying to stay focused on the fact that I am able to run at all and that with some more physical therapy, things will (hopefully) get more back to normal.

2018 Goals: Keep running! And, stay consistent with my online barre workouts, which are responsible for giving me back my flexibility! :cool:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-07 10:17 PM
875 is impressive with a fractured patella in need of rehab. You managed more than many do without that excuse!
- By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-09 7:26 AM Edited 2018-01-09 7:29 AM

1. Next year my primary goal is to do a better job of managing my bank account and bill paying. It's not that I'm overdrawn and broke. It's just that I want to get on a schedule of automated bill paying and know most days within a few cents how much money is my account. I pay my credit cards off every month and I need to get in line with that so I am not charging more than I should. That bill is always the one that stresses me out (probably all the race registrations:laugh:).

2. Also, to stop chasing things that don't matter like approval of others, standards I don't believe in, mileage, unrealistic race times etc. I waste a lot of time and energy on things that when I stop and think about it really aren't important.:meh:

3. I'd also like to commit to writing something on a regular basis.

4. I am going to shorter races this year and see if I can get my 5K time down under 25 minutes.

I addressed a lot of this on FB so I have a good grasp on how I did. Here's the quick summary:

I did well on #1, #2 made for a very good year in terms of faith, friendships, adopting a new dog and reading. I am still working on #3 (It made to 2018 for a revisit) Ironically without seeing this post yet, I made one of my 2018 goals FOCUS ON 10KS AND 1/2S FORGET ABOUT THE 5K!!! At least I learned what didn't work.:laugh:

My goals for 2018:
Pick up again on the goal I have for myself of writing more often even if it’s just on Facebook.
I want to improve the relationships I have by not being afraid to challenge the status quo.
I want to keep running but focus on the 10K or 1/2 marathon distance and stop brooding over the fact I will never run a fast 5K.
Up Topic Communities / Women / 2018 Goals/2017 Recap