Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Tuesday Tundra Dailies
- - By swandive Date 2018-01-02 9:16 AM
Does it feel like you've been dropped off in the arctic tundra?
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-01-02 9:20 AM
It was 12*F this morning. :shocker!:  It rarely gets down into the teens here, so it's a chilly start to the year.  Looks to be rather chilly for a good portion of the country, though.  Kids are still out of school so there wasn't too much traffic.  I did break out my tights for my run.  I did 5 rather frosty miles.  It's not unpleasant weather for running, but is decidedly less pleasant for working in a garage that is uninsulated and only has a space heater for heat.  Yesterday it was a struggle to get to 40*F inside the garage and it's colder today. :shocker!:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-01-02 10:06 AM Edited 2018-01-02 10:12 AM
Wow, can't believe it's so cold there! I bet you're loving running in it, even if working is not so grand.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-01-02 10:51 AM
Good work on the 5 frosty miles! Cold here too. That has got to be hard doing anything in the garage. :sad:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-02 10:52 AM
Good for running, bad for working.

Conclusion: You should go running and not work.

12*F? I am so glad I am not a plumber in your area. I'm betting there are a lot of frozen and burst pipes today and the plumbers are having to go work on them in those temps.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-01-02 10:06 AM
chilly here but I'm loving me some real winter.  I'm SO glad global warming is a myth. :roll:

So far I'm keeping up with my at least one mile a day for all of January! :laugh: 2 miles today, 2 miles yesterday, and yoga both days.  Will try for 4-5 tomorrow.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-01-02 10:52 AM
Good work on the miles! You are doing very well given your family and work. :happy:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-02 10:52 AM
Of course it's a myth. Because one cold winter negates the hot summers.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-02 10:56 AM
Not here!! 30ish min yoga class this morning. I really have to thank Moonglow for turning me on to Yogaworks. I am now practicing about 2 times a week, something I wouldn't have found time to fit into my schedule without this. The flexibility helps my flexibility (see what I did there. :wink:) This morning's class was a basic "daily practice" type class. I focused on alignment and core, which was good. Nice slow pace for a first thing in the morning class.

Yesterday I swam with my gang.  There were over 40 of us!!  The waves were really high for me. 2-3 foot swells with small breakers and lots of white caps.  I usually would chicken out on this kind of chop, but with the peer pressure, as well as feeling safe because so many people were in with me, I was able to stretch my comfort zone. It was a 20 min out 6 min back kind of day with the current.  I posted a short video on FB for those who want to see the chop!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-02 11:02 AM
That does sound choppy! Glad you had a lot of people there, does your group use a buddy system?
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-01-02 11:05 AM
Yes to the tundra. It's awfully cold here.
Monday I did 50 minutes down on the TM. I’m doing some raising of the speeds gradually.
Today I did 60 minutes on the TM. It’s cold in the exercise room where the machines are and that helps a lot. In the old days, there was a heater that hung from the ceiling. Lots of elderly used to congregate there and wanted it hot. Did you ever see old film clips of the "reducing machines" that had a really wide belt for the hips and did nothing but jiggle the hips? They also wanted some of those. :laugh:
The new owner took out the heater. It was a great decision. Now we have TMs, elliptical, cycles.
Safe and happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-02 12:44 PM
I am old enough to have seen those machines. My Camp Fire Girl leader when I was in elementary school had one. (Mrs. J was ample of hip, admittedly.) We were fascinated by it and used to ask to use the bathroom during meetings so we could look at it more closely.

Judging by Mrs. J's silhouette, I don't think it did much good.

TMs, elliptical, cycles, and weights will do a lot more to get rid of the fat than machines to "vibrate the fat away".
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-01-02 1:37 PM
The machine did all the work. The women talked and laughed. :laugh:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-02 12:25 PM
As of 12:30 we are at 10F but still below 0 windchill. Got in 6 on the treadmill since it was -10F when I was going to run. So done with this! Just keep telling myself I will be in Mexico in 19 days :cool:
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-02 10:51 AM
No tundra temps here. And the terrain is definitely not tundra-like!

Could only see the moon through a veil of cloud, but it was still pretty and there was a lot of light between the moon and what was reflecting from the cloud.

Warm here today, high 50s (about 12-13 I think in C), and the thick cloud cover is trapping the heat. But it was getting windy also. We would love rain but the forecast is not hopeful. I did 3.2 this morning on one of my regular routes and packed a nice healthy lunch. Edamame, tangerines, I have vegan burgers and vegetables in the office freezer.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-01-02 10:54 AM
Great work on the 3.2 miler One thing about packing and leaving healthy foods at work...probably no one would even consider stealing them.:laugh:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-02 11:04 AM
I'm sure people would consider stealing them, and my almond milk tends to drop a bit in level from one day to the next -- I think a couple of coworkers presume that if it's in the fridge, even if marked, the owner won't miss a little and they then put some in their coffee. But we haven't had a big problem with food theft recently.

Remains to be seen what will happen when we move and there are fewer floors and fewer refrigerators.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-01-02 11:06 AM
When do you all move? Higher? Lower?
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-02 12:45 PM
Sometime in March. Lower floor, building 5 blocks away. I have to decide whether to keep my current gym membership (Gold's), sign up with Planet Fitness also several blocks away but in the opposite direction, or explore other gyms that are likely more expensive. :mutmad:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-01-02 1:15 PM
grr, that's so annoying when officemates steal food, even if it's just a bit of milk. You paid for it!
Up Topic Communities / Women / Tuesday Tundra Dailies