Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / New Year new weekend rr/nrr
- - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-30 3:33 PM
Posts including new years day
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-30 3:35 PM
35 min in 48 degree water. Felt awesome. Great time hanging out after with my friends. We are much smarter after our swims! Came home and did some yoga abs and stretches.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-12-30 4:54 PM

> We are much smarter after our swims! :laugh:

Glad you had fun!
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-31 10:13 AM
We joke about things that are funny in the water and funny out of the water. Cold can do a number on the brain!
Parent - - By Gunna Date 2017-12-31 5:27 AM
Sounds great! :cool: I went swimming yesterday but the water was a tad warmer than that. Swimmming is great though, so refreshing!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-31 10:14 AM
Did you swim outside?
Parent - - By Gunna Date 2017-12-31 10:27 AM
I always swim outside, I like the fresh air and most pools here are outside anyway. The geothermal water makes all the difference. Running to and from the pool and between the hot pots is pretty cold though, especially when there's ice on the ground like now. And then there are people who actually swim in the ocean, even at this time of year. :shocker!: There's a new year's swim tomorrow.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-01 1:17 PM
I think I would only swim in the ocean at this time of year if there were an accident of some kind; I certainly would not go in voluntarily. : pbbt::laugh:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-01 5:08 PM
I think Gunna's water temperature may actually be warmer than Reebs's. Gunna has the Gulf Stream. Reebs's water is coming straight from the Arctic.
Parent - - By Gunna Date 2018-01-02 9:36 AM
That could be true, at least at certain times of the year. But apparently it's very close to freezing right now, it's been pretty cold here lately.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-02 10:38 AM
Our water temp is 9-10 C. So if yours is close to freezing it is a lot colder!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-02 11:00 AM
Yikes on the polar bear plunge, then.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-31 8:01 AM
That's cold! I'd not be able to withstand a minute, so quite impressed. :laugh: on being smarter after
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-31 10:14 AM
You build up aclimitization over thime. We tell first timers 10 min.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-12-30 4:54 PM
Tired.  I spent all morning working on doors, then spent three hours raking leaves.  I do not enjoy raking leaves.  At least the leaf-raking should (finally) be about done until next fall.

Random question: anyone have a dog collar they love?  Dogger has a Chaco collar that is about worn out.  She usually sleeps in my closet at night [She's a weirdo.  She prefers to sleep there or beside the toilet.], but has a tendency to get up during the night and shake her head, thereby waking me up because her ID tag and rabies tag clank together.  Now, it's good for her to have both pieces of information on her (even though she's microchipped) but I wonder if there's some kind of great collar with an ID tag on the collar itself so that she'd only need the single rabies tag (which would presumably be less noisy on its own).  I've seen ones where you can get the dog's name and a telephone number embroidered on them, but I was thinking more along the lines of an engraved tag on the collar.  Or maybe there's some other awesome options, so I'm open to suggestions.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2017-12-30 6:07 PM
Since when do you have a dog?  What have I missed?
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-12-30 6:08 PM
I was thinking the same thing!
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-12-30 8:39 PM
She's not technically my dog.  Mom and A got her from the shelter about 4 years ago?  I wasn't in town when they got her, so I was in no way involved, but I pay more attention to her than anyone else does.  She's a black lab/Basset mix, it appears, so she basically looks like a lab with really short legs. :laugh:
Parent - - By wishful Date 2017-12-30 8:08 PM
I don't know about a collar, but I keep my dog's license, name tag, and HomeAgain tag on a tiny, thin carabiner.  Unsnap from the collar when you need quiet, snap it back on when you want noise or to take the dog outside.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-01 5:09 PM
That's a good thought! I usually want to know where the cats are so we leave the bell and tag jingling.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-12-30 8:29 PM
Just take a rubber band and wrap it around the tags.  No more jangling.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-12-30 8:40 PM
Ooh, brilliant! :grin:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-12-31 6:46 AM
They also make and sell tag silencers if you have trouble getting rubber bands to stay on.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-12-30 9:04 PM
We don't keep tags on the dogs because they get noisy. All have been microchipped and rabies info is kept at city when licensing is done. But I have seen tag wraps that are rubber and prevent the noise.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-01-01 9:04 PM
Thank you!  This is exactly what I had in mind, without knowing what I really wanted. :laugh:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-01-01 10:01 PM
Mollybees!!  :hug::hug::hug:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-01 10:23 PM
Hi!! Good to see you!
Parent - - By mollybees Date 2018-01-02 7:27 AM
Hi there!

Coupled with this collar: https://www.chewy.com/blueberry-pet-classic-solid-dog/dp/135255. Bombproof.  I love the tag because you can get a lot of writing on it, and it's very clear.  The letters don't rub off because it's not banging up against another tag.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-02 11:01 AM
Good point -- most jurisdictions make the rabies tag and license only as hang tags, don't they?
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-01 1:01 PM
Can you drill a hole in the tags and rivet them directly to the collar? Some tags are small enough that you can do that without having them be wider than the collar itself. Big Sis and I did this with Rosa and Bear's collars and their ID tags.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-03 7:08 AM
We have used one of these collars, the slip kind, because Malinois have a smaller head than neck & she can back out of a normal collar. http://www.whitepineoutfitters.com/catalog_category.cfm?queries_index=index6&title_bar=Soft%20Web%20Collars&ProductCode=1

You can also get a collar with your name & phone # embroidered on it.  My machine won't do really thick webbing, but normal stuff like you find on backpacks is easy to embroider.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-12-30 6:08 PM
Worked today but I think this is the first time that I can actually say I kind of enjoy working :shocker!: With that said I accepted the job offer, now working on possible schedule options to propose. I finally feel like all the crap I dealt with, stress and anxiety about my previous job have been worth it to get me here and with this now position with a company that truly respects work/life balance and family. :happy:
Got in 5 miles on TM after work since it is -10 with =30 wind chill :cry: So much for plans of skiing tomorrow.
Finally checking things off my to do list, booked a hotel for date night next weekend, DH bought me concert tickets for Christmas but show starts late and with the unpredictable winter we figured we would stay downtown rather than drive home late. Next on my list plan O's bday party, figure out where and get her to narrow down her list of 30 friends!
Parent - By SRoo Date 2017-12-30 8:30 PM
Congratulations on the new job!
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-12-30 8:43 PM
Congrats on the new job!  I hope it is indeed a good fit for you.
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-12-31 5:27 AM
Congrats on the new job! :grin::cool:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-31 8:00 AM
Congratulations on the job! I hope it is all you want, deserve, and expect. :happy:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-12-31 2:51 PM
Congrats on the new job! :cool::grin:
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-12-30 8:39 PM
Just saw this recipe on smitten kitchen for irish cream.    I want to make this so bad!

It is unfortunate that I am supposed to be alcohol free for the next week or so.  :sad:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-12-30 8:42 PM
I've rarely gone wrong with SK recipes.  Maybe save it for a celebratory no-longer-alcohol-free drink?
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-31 7:57 AM
Agree with both parts of this.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2017-12-30 9:10 PM
Why alcohol-free?  The weight-loss challenge with Roolet?
Parent - By SRoo Date 2017-12-30 9:26 PM
Yup.  I think it only lasts until his next meet.  I should check on that.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-31 6:20 PM
Not a great fan of Bailey's, but you go right ahead!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-01 1:06 PM
Whoa! Who knew it was so easy??? :shocker!:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-01-01 1:50 PM
I know, right?
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-12-30 8:52 PM
I got A to make a decision!  Sort of. :laugh:  I asked her what she thought of a tile that is only on sale through tomorrow and got her to agree that it looks good so I'm going to buy it before she has a chance to look for other options. : pbbt:  I wonder if she'll catch on if I take this approach with every single thing in the bathroom. :laugh:  For anyone who is interested, this is the tile, an accent tile to go with large format rectangular white tiles in the shower.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2017-12-30 9:05 PM
Hooray!  And the tile looks good.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-31 7:56 AM
:laugh::cool:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-31 10:15 AM
Pretty tile. And a better cost than hand painted!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-12-31 1:26 PM
ooh pretty tile. And yay on A making a decision!
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-01 1:11 PM
I bet that approach will work with other things.

For the record, XH had little patience for similar decisions, and would drag his feet for anything involving reviewing lots and lots of options, so I would typically narrow stuff down to a couple of choices that I liked, and present him with 2-3 options and let him make the final choice. Or, as time went on, I just bypassed him entirely and said "this is what we are getting", and listen to him sputter until he saw what I had picked, at which point he generally was really pleased with it. He had a terrible time visualizing anything new, and I think he actually liked having someone else take over.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-12-31 7:05 AM
Yesterday I felt like a workout badass. I went to Bodypump, CX Works, and Yoga back to back at gym, then Gavin wanted to work out so we went to the stairs downtown and ran 10 sets and did some calisthenics after. Wasn't planning on that....

Sunday I will head out for about 5 later - perfect running weather in Tampa right now Y'all up north....cool and sunny and dry. The yoga place I go on Sunday isn't running a class today as usually its at 430 but everyone is closing at 3 today, like we start celebrating NYE at 4? WTF?

Tomorrow at least my gym is open most of the day. After then it will be nuts until the resolutioners go back to their couches. But normally I use the branch downtown at lunch and that crowd is usually very predictable. Definitely regulars not a lot of newbies
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-31 7:56 AM
The gym for me is closed all day tomorrow and closing at 3pm today. I just don't understand. 3 classes, wow!
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-12-31 9:29 AM
Nice workouts!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-12-31 4:19 PM
Wow, amazing workouts!

Wishing you a peaceful 2018. :hug:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-31 6:15 PM
Nice workouts!

You're right, it will be a crazy place for a little while.

Where are the stairs downtown? I've been to Tampa a few times and am trying to remember where stairs might be.
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-01-01 2:58 PM
convention center. not like the santa monica stairs of course but they are ok. I prefer the ones at the high school stadium - spacing wise. But these can be fun if you run around the center there are different levels and heights of stairs.
Parent - - By Gunna Date 2017-12-31 10:33 AM
Hmm, waiting around, getting some guests for dinner and a bit too early for the last prepping. It's been a beautiful but cold day. I've been thinking about what a good year 2017 has been, at least for me. Nothing special happened but nothing really bad either. My job, health, family and relationship with H have been really good this year. Can't ask for much more than that! Oh, and I met Tessa. :cool:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-31 6:15 PM
And I met Gunna! :grin:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-12-31 11:36 AM
I ran 14.8 this morning.  It wasn't super fast, but I felt good considering how tired I was last night.  That puts me at 1481.4 miles for the year. :happy:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-12-31 1:25 PM
Nice!! Great year total!

Maybe this year I'll keep a log again...
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-31 6:16 PM
Nice! So you got 1% of your yearly mileage today? Good work.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-01 6:30 AM
Yeah for your annual mileage!
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-01-01 4:19 PM
Outstanding yearly mileage! :cool:
Good work on the 14.8 miler. :happy:
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-12-31 1:25 PM
I am currently "off duty" - DH and I split the weekend days (one person takes morning and first half nap the other takes second half nap and afternoon) to allow us to get some "me" time. works pretty well.  I just cleaned the kitchen, folded laundry while watching "Gilmore girls," and finished the Sunday NYT crossword. About to do a target trip ( a short one... hahahaha) and then a TM run.  If I have time, I'll squeeze in 30 min of yoga. Then we are off to a friend's house who has a 2.5 yo for NYE dinner. We'll see how long we all make it before passing out with our kids in front of the TV! They only live 10 min away, so getting there and home is easy.
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-12-31 3:38 PM
Taking shifts like that is the only way DH and I survive our non-sleeper.  :hug:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-12-31 4:19 PM
Oh you've got a no sleeper too? :laugh::cry:
Parent - - By laxrunner Date 2017-12-31 9:20 PM
That’s a really great system. “Me” time is important!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-01-01 7:34 AM
It probably won't work anymore once #2 (hopefully) comes along, but it's working for now.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-01 6:30 AM
I'm glad you and DH can make that work.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-31 6:13 PM
Today's run: 6.5 before WW. Rolling hills. I saw a number of other runners, had a nice chat with a guy with a big dog, and was glad my shirt was too big because I could pull the sleeves down over my hands. Good run to finish out the year.

Heading over to my mum's shortly for Sunday dinner. And champagne. We'll be back at a reasonable hour, not sure if I'm running with RN or solo tomorrow. But I rarely make it until midnight on New Year's Eve. It's midnight somewhere when I get to bed!

Happy New Year to all. May we have many runs in 2017, do a few races, meet a few virtual friends, and  I hope some who have been strangers this year for various reasons will return to this forum!
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-01 6:27 AM
I remember my parents hosting a NYE for DD and my niece and nephew. NYE was always 9 pm until the kids caught on that there were several NYEs-9 pm  (grandparent's time) 11 am EST and 12 PM CST.  :laugh: We should all be able to end the year whenever it works right?:laugh:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-01 7:49 AM
Yes! And I am in PST so figure I can mutter "Happy New Year" at 9 pm because it's midnight on the East Coast.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-01-03 2:25 PM
And 10 pm  :grin:  The great thing about the net is that it makes us think about different time zones and seasons all over the globe. :happy:
Parent - - By laxrunner Date 2017-12-31 9:18 PM
Happy new year! I remember that last year one of my goals was to post more here in 2017. I failed that one but here’s to a better 2018. :hug::blush:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-01 6:29 AM
:happy:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-01 5:11 PM
You are always welcome!
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-01 1:15 PM
The gym is closed today, so I am going to do some upper body workout and a run here near the house. The cold is not so bad, but the wind can get fierce unless I run in the park, where the trees and hills provide some windbreak.

Took a SDO yesterday because T-bone and I have really been working out pretty hard while he is on vacation. My legs were trashed from running, Stairmaster, smiting drills, etc., and needed a break.
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-30 10:00 PM
15.6 this morning. I had originally intended more but decided to take a compromise road.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-31 7:59 AM
When 15.6 is a compromise.... :cool:: pbbt:
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-12-31 10:34 AM
A compromise, right! :laugh:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-12-31 1:25 PM
you are a star...
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-01 6:24 AM
Still a an impressive effort. Let me guess. Your were going for 18?
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-01 7:51 AM
It would've been 18 or 19 if I had kept going on Sloan Canyon to get to Parker and then The Old Road (they have imaginative names around here) rather than up and over Hillcrest to get back to The Old Road sooner.
- - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-12-31 2:32 PM
Valuable lesson learned... when dealing with construction that necessitates an exposed drain pipe & winter weather, the septic tank will produce heat and the house will produce heat.  Thus, wrapping heating tape along PVC might be overkill.  Especially when the contractor puts the thermostat for the heat tape outside the insulation blanket.

Secondary lesson learned... PVC pipe will deform if heated sufficiently. Deformed PVC does not remain sealed by friction couplings.

Tertiary lesson... check the damn pipe every day :meh:

Guess who had a contractor at our house bright & early today?
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-31 6:14 PM
Oh dear. (My first response was "oh shit", but decided that might be a little TOO appropriate.)

Heating tape? What is that?
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-12-31 7:05 PM
yeah, oh shit is just about right.  Fortunately, I did a lot of laundry this week, so much of the blackwater was diluted.

Heating tape is basically what makes the heating filaments in old-style space heaters. It's a flexible, thin, resistive, material that gets warm when you apply electric current. A thermostat on the power supply is required to shut it off when the tape gets too hot and turn back on when it's too cool.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-01 7:52 AM
Ah. Makes sense for places where pipes must be exposed in below freezing weather (look up the new Lloyd's building in London -- "new" being 1986 or thereabouts -- and their issues with the architect's having put all the pipes on the outside of the building) but I can definitely see the need for a thermostat especially if the pipe is a material that will deform when exposed to excessive heat.
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-03 7:16 AM
Having grown up in the north, I'm amazed by the common practice of installing plumbing in exterior walls, unheated crawlspaces, and even through garages or outside the main walls!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-03 10:28 AM
I know, right? If there's ever a really hard freeze we are in trouble. The main water pipe to the house doubles as the supply for the hose faucet by the garage, it comes up from underground and then enters the wall of the house about 2' above ground. (This is the one that DH pulled off its footings many years ago when the hose got tangled in the back axle of the van.) Pipes to the kitchen go along the ridgepole.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-12-31 8:27 PM
:cry::cry::cry:
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-03 7:18 AM
You will appreciate the other problem we found.  When cutting through a concrete block wall (lots of dust in the air), the older smoke alarms triggered. I was able to shut off most of them, but one seems to be either covered by drywall in the "finished basement" ceiling, or perhaps it fell between two wall studs & is stuck in the wall.

I did not tear open the wall, but considered it. :meh:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-03 10:29 AM
Sooner or later the batteries will die, right?
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-03 11:21 AM
I can hope...chirp-chirp-chirp...  If I'm really unlucky, it's one of the original hard-wired models. :meh:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-01-03 5:19 PM
Given your luck so far, it is likely hard-wired. :cry:  A 21st century Edgar Allen Poe could write a story about it.
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-04 7:00 AM
I was utterly spoiled by having built our own home 15+ years ago. Having moved into a home that has been remodeled, added on, upgraded, and otherwise bastardized, it's painful to see the collective mistakes made over the years :cry:

...quoth the smoke alarm, "Beeeeep-Beeeeep"
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-04 10:54 AM
:laugh: on the last line.

Amen on the painful collective mistakes. And the next owner has to fix it. I still don't think we've found all the examples of the previous owner's incompetence, and the scary thing is that his projects included electrical work. I can deal with bad judgment involving wallpaper. I am worried about bad judgment involving wiring.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-01 6:24 AM
I'm sorry about that lesson. Ugh.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-01 1:16 PM
That is NOT a good set of lessons. I like not those lessons! :meh:
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-12-31 6:28 PM
7 at they gym. I ran on the indoor track after the single digit temps yesterday.

Tomorrow I am going to run some on the TM and then we have a group "celebration" at the TRWS.  It has been downgraded to a celebration from a group "run" since the weather forecast is indicating single digits again with some nasty windchill. I am wanting to run at least a little outdoors since I have been assembling my gear and did a double "pick your distance route" especially for tomorrow. They don't want people to feel obligated to run, but with all the effort I've put in, I hate to not run.:sad:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-01 7:54 AM
I think I'd be most worried about slipping on ice. However, if people are showing up dressed to run and kitted out for the weather, I'd say lead them on a jaunt for at least a mile or two so everyone can feel badass.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-01 1:41 PM
We don't have that much ice right now. We have had a couple of very dry light snows and hasn't really been warm enough for re-freezing. A few people underdressed and turned around and headed back (always an option). I ended up doing 4 with some folks. I guess a few even did 6.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-01 5:11 PM
4 is plenty badass in single digits!
Up Topic Communities / Women / New Year new weekend rr/nrr