Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Saturday, 30 Dec 2017
- - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-30 7:00 AM
Wishing Rob's daughter a wedding day full of love, laughter, fun and family!   May Elizabeth and her husband have many, many years of wedded bliss.

So we know Rob's household is buzzing with excitement today.  What about yours?

Those affected by the extreme cold, please be careful.  I won't whine so much about my cold temps.

Have a good Saturday!
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-12-30 7:41 AM
I would think another marriage at Rob's house would be ho-hum by now. :roll: :grin:

I ran 3.15 at the park this morning. It was up to 25° so I was off the treadmill and back outside.  It felt good to be back out there.

I ran pretty early and it was still dark out when I was leaving.  As I started the car and began to drive away, bright lights appeared in my mirror.  I didn't see a car arriving and when I looked around I couldn't see anyone. It freaked me out for about 5 to 10 seconds before I realized I had left my headlamp on and that was the lights in the mirror. 

Today is the last day of bow hunting at the park so there were a few vehicles arriving as I made my way to the exit.  Should be a good day for the hunters with the serious cold easing up for a couple days.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-30 8:52 AM
outdoor running in December seems like a gift.   Funny headlamp story.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-30 10:34 AM
Come on Dave, it's only the 3rd marriage in the family.  Now by the time the younger ones get married, they will be ho-hum.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-30 8:57 AM
All the best to Elizabeth and her husband.   And to baby Elizabeth and Josh and Katie too.   I was  thinking with the older kids in the Rob household getting married the younger ones will never be in need of homecoming/prom/party clothes.   All those beautiful dresses, suits, and ties.:happy::happy:

Amy is going to try to come home today for the weekend.  She has a NYE party with some old high school friends.  Temps are scary cold though and her car is marginal.....We can always provide taxi service I suppose.

Arms and abs today.  I'm glad I was able to run yesterday and the yoga felt great after shoveling snow.

5 layers on my top half and 4 on the bottom for my Misha walk this morning.   Blinding sunshine coming across the snow at the park.:happy:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-30 10:35 AM
Send the sunshine here and I'll share the warm temperatures with you.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-30 10:33 AM
Met my friend for a power walk and the weather was nice.  Going to a movie later today and that is about it from here.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-30 10:56 AM
what movie?
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-30 11:52 AM
"Molly's Game"
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-30 1:44 PM
The movie was sold out and we did not want to wait for the next showing.  So my husband is out playing golf as the sun decided to come out.  I am at home but it's ok; I went for my walk earlier.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-30 3:10 PM
I made the Sopa recipe finally.   I love warm soup after Misha pulls me thru the snow drifts.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-30 3:37 PM
Perfect on a cold day!
Parent - By DottieO Date 2017-12-30 4:11 PM
We want to see the Star Wars movie this week
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-12-30 12:34 PM
I woke up at 4:30 this morning and decided to run trails.  After some breakfast I drove to the trail after it had become light.  Trails were nice and clear of downed trees and limbs.  They did some cleanup a few weeks ago.  I ended up running 12.25 miles.

With one mile to go on my trail run, my phone was ringing and I noticed it was my step-dad.  He never calls me.  My only thought was that something was wrong with my mom.  I quickly turned off my podcast, ripped the phone from the arm sleeve, and answered, but my step -dad said nothing.  I figured I was in a bad reception area.  I took a road I had just crossed back to my vehicle, called back my step-dad.  He didn't know he called me.  He "butt-called" me.:laugh:  I was relieved.

I'm watching the Louisville football bowl game.  I don't even want to talk about the basketball game yesterday. 

Hoping Rob and his family are having a great day!
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-30 1:45 PM
Oh I hate those butt calls!  They can be scary at times especially if it comes at an odd time. 

Good job on those 12.25 miles.  I bet the surroundings were serene and peaceful.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-30 3:11 PM
Your coach has big shoes to fill.  I couldn't watch past half time.:sad:
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-12-30 8:51 PM
I like our interim and loved him as a player for the Cards, but you are right.  He has a big job ahead of him.  I watched all of it.  The last 15 minutes I sat in a stupor.
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2017-12-30 4:10 PM
Your basketball cards have a lot to overcome that was out of their control. I’m sure the season will improve. :grin:
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-12-30 8:54 PM
They just gave up yesterday.  I don't think I have ever, in the past 28 years that I have followed the Cards, seen a team give up like that.  We can only get better.  Cats played a good game.  Great hustle.
Parent - - By rungear [us] Date 2017-12-30 1:03 PM
Happy New Year, Masters.   Wishing all a good, healthy, 2018. :happy:

Wife and I are spending pre-2018 and 1/1/2018 with Daughter and Son-in-law, and Levi in Tracy! :happy:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-30 1:46 PM
Enjoy baby Levi!
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-12-30 3:05 PM Edited 2017-12-30 3:07 PM
I went to the local running store and picked up my race number for Monday. Ended up trying on shoes and bought a pair of Brooks Ghost 10's. I have some 9's with a few hundred miles that I like real well. I buy a pair of shoes at that running store every year at this time. Other shoes I get cheaper online, but I try to support the local place once in a while.

Bought a new pair of Saucony mittens too.

The hoodie I got for Monday's race seems really nice but I don't want to wear it until after the race. They gave us a nice buff too. It's covered with advertising for the local hospital but it will make a good base layer in the cold.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-30 3:12 PM
I got a buff in my fall 10k goodie bag.  I think they should be standard issue.  I would like a dozen at least; especially in this weather.
Parent - By DottieO Date 2017-12-30 4:08 PM
I have a couple of neck gaiters- kind of like a buff, right? It’s so cold here- hard to get any relief.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-31 6:18 AM
All this talk of neck gaiters got me into looking at them.  I might order one or two myself.
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-12-31 6:35 AM
I'm a recent convert to the buff. I got a Merino wool buff that I absolutely love. It can be a neck scarf, a hat, a balaclava. On really cold days I've used it as a balaclava under a hat.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-31 6:45 AM
The light weight ones roll up small enough to be a headband too.  (for people like you who don't live in the frozen tundra and don't need to cover up as much skin as possible)
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-12-31 6:48 AM
Hey I just bought saucony mittens on Friday!
- - By Ron274 [us] Date 2017-12-30 3:37 PM
Hello everyone! Just me ( Ron ) with my not so often drive ( cycle/run) by hello. A big congrats to the new married couple in Rob's family. Wishing them good health and happy times.
Jean and I returned from Christmas in Philly yesterday. A whirlwind of family visits and catching up with former Philly PD friends.
I took a hybrid bike up and managed about 5 rides in the muck, snow and mud. A lot of cyclocross work over fallen trees and craggy hills and creek crossings. All on the trails I trained on for years. What great memories.
A lot of wonderful memories here in this forum also. I plan to post more in 2018. But, first Jean and I wish all of you a most happy 2018.
I wish you good health, happiness and many safe and delightful miles on the road and trails wherever you go. Be well, be safe. Love you all.
Ron
Parent - By DottieO Date 2017-12-30 4:06 PM
So good to see you. Merry Merry Happy Happy to you and Jean :hug:
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-30 4:20 PM
Hi Ron, thanks for stopping in.  Sounds like life is good for you and Jean.  Happy 2018!
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-12-30 11:07 PM
Hi Ron!!
SO good to "see" you! Please post more often, you are missed!!
Glad all seems to be well.

Happy New Year!
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-31 6:17 AM
Hi Ron!

Happy New Year to you and Jean.  Don't be a stranger, post whatever you want even if it has nothing to do with running.
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-12-31 6:37 AM
Hi Ron. Until this winter I've questioned why people would move to Florida, but I'm feeling the cold this year and starting to understand.
- - By DottieO Date 2017-12-30 4:16 PM
I worked last night, and tonight and tomorrow. I started taking magnesium oxide for sleep and it seemed to help a lot

The weather is just plain stupid cold. We had to break ice at the marina so it’s only a matter of time before the cove freezes if this weather pattern continues. The water temp is still warm enough to be protected but cumulative Arctic snaps like this will cool it faster. My running is going to take a beating.

:grin:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-30 4:24 PM
Is your hospital full?   We have so much flu:sad:   Visitors are restricted, everyone else is suggested to wear a mask.  The ER parking lot is full so I imagine the staff is stretched thin.   I hate to think you might get stuck in the city but your hospital is lucky to have you close this time of year.

We seem to be in for 10 more days of the 'stupid cold'.  My hope is that this run of bad weather is our only one and maybe we will sail thru into March.  February is usually when we go sub zero.  Perhaps Mother Nature will be out of tricks by then.
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2017-12-30 7:44 PM
The water temp is 34.5 degrees. Not too far before we have ice potential.

Our hospital is pretty much at capacity. Influenza will hit us hard in a few weeks. We have a lot of fall-related injuries and people with chronic illnessses are getting whacked with respiratory issues.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-12-31 6:49 AM
Do you work in the ER or another dept?
Parent - By DottieO Date 2017-12-31 7:04 AM
I work on a respiratory medicine unit- step down from critical care- ventilator and tracheostomy patients. We also get infectious diseases which includes influenza and TB as we have negative pressure rooms. I wash my hands dozens of times per shift and use a ton of gloves.
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-12-30 11:06 PM
<'stupid cold'>  :shocker!:

This hurts my heart. :cry::cry::cry:

:laugh:Please send your cold to me. I'm ticked off we only have a foot or so of snow on the ground instead of the several feet we should have, along with the -40 temps that FBX is known for. :mutmad::cry:

Hopefully, January will bring redemption. :hug:
Oh, just up here, not to you. I only wish my weirdness on my own darn self. : pbbt::laugh:
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-12-30 11:08 PM
Stupid cold. :shocker!::cry::cry::cry:
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Saturday, 30 Dec 2017