Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Wonderful Wednesday NRR
- - By SRoo Date 2017-12-27 11:03 AM
Post something!
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-12-27 11:10 AM
We returned last night from the Roo Family Extravaganza.  It was fun.  Everyone was well-behaved, including my brother's 7 month old Saint Bernard puppy!  We put together a puzzle, played ping pong and foosball and hearts and Settlers of Catan.  We ate cookies and pie and cinnamon rolls and other good things.  We talked and teased and went to a bookstore.  We pet the dogs.  Of course there were a few minor things, but that is to be expected in a family.  :happy:  This morning Roolet did a load of laundry and cleaned his bathroom--Without Being Reminded!  :hug:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-12-27 11:30 AM
wow sounds like a great time all around
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-27 1:00 PM
Sounds like fun!

Wow, what a preemptive strike on Roolet's part, cleaning his bathroom before you told him to.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-12-27 2:09 PM
Sounds like fun!
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-12-27 3:34 PM
Glad to hear you had such a great time with your family. :happy:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-27 11:48 AM
I touched up the purple in my hair yesterday. The peach fuzz on my cheeks has a slight tinge of purple. :shocker!: It probably is from when I rinsed the dye out, I didn't avoid it splashing on my face.  You can only see it from a very specific angle, but it is there! :laugh:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-27 12:59 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2017-12-27 1:53 PM
:laugh:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-27 12:17 PM
Question: did anyone get an amazing sweet 16 gift, or see one given?  Not a car.  That's a non-starter for so many reasons.  My DN is turning 16 in February and I really want to offer to take her on an amazing vacation, but apparently my parents are doing that. :meh: I still could. I think they are doing a city, so MCF and I could take her on a nature vacation. But her summer is going to get very booked this way! Ideas?  Budget of 1k but flexible if the gift is right.  Not jewelry, she's not that kind of kid. If it is an experience, I want to do it with her.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-27 1:00 PM
I think a nature trip is an excellent idea. How about a national park that she hasn't been to?
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-12-27 2:10 PM
The agree! Can't think of a special gift.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-27 4:50 PM
The trip I really want to go on is a kayaking a whale watching camping trip on the northern tip of Vancouver Island. We are talking about giving her a choice between that and ????
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-12-27 5:46 PM
That or taking me on your kayaking trip instead? :laugh:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-27 5:50 PM
Will you remodel my bathroom for me?  we might have a deal!!:wink:

And didn't you kayak around new zeland a few years back?
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-12-28 8:13 AM
Well, not all the way around the islands -- that'd be quite a long trip -- but around one of the sounds.  It was a fantastic trip!  I'm afraid a kayaking excursion to NZ might be slightly outside your $1k budget, though. : pbbt:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-28 10:29 AM
Yeah, NZ is still on my bucket list. MCF lived there for a while and used to have relatives there. I've never been south of the equator, so I want to go for that reason too!
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-12-27 2:48 PM
Nature, or to visit a specific point of interest. e.g. your parents sending her to Hawaii is a beach vacation but if she's always wanted to see Niagara Falls then that's a different type of vacation
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-12-27 2:53 PM
I guess I suck as an Aunt because no way no how would I have spent that much on my niece for her 16th (or my nephew for that matter). Maybe I'm wrong but I always thought the bigger stuff was more the parents and/or grandparent deal. I know I was given a ring for mine but it was not hugely expensive (maybe around $250?) by my parents but nothing major like a vacation or car or the like.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-27 2:57 PM
The problem is my extended family has a lot of money. And we value experiences. For my parents' 50th anniversary, they took all of us (them, me and MCF, DB SIL DN1 DN2) to Yosemite for a week, airfare, rental cars, meals, hotel (at the fancy one) etc. That's how the family rolls. I've been thinking of a cool experience for this DN since she was born-- I had thought something like Outward Bound, but their offerings have changed in the last 16 years and aren't quite right for her now.  MCF and I bought a ring like that for DN2 for her bat mitzvah. She loves it. :hug:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-12-28 7:10 AM
Yeah, that makes sense. You guys are all outdoorsy right? How about taking her on a canoe trip through the boundary waters in MN& Canada (like what mmrocker does each year). I think mmr stays in place, but when I went on my trip we had a guide and we changed campsites nearly every night taking everything with us. It was a BLAST. A very definite experience and has stayed with me to now. This happened when I was 15 I think and I'm now 47. I would love to go back. I'm pretty sure there are still guides/outfitters etc that you can use.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-12-27 3:36 PM
I don't remember getting anything special for my 16th birthday. :wtf:  I got my driver's license, but didn't get a car (my grandfather's old car) until later.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-27 3:45 PM
I got a bike. It was a big deal at the time.  A bike big enough to take me into adulthood. I finally sold it for a few bucks when I left Syracuse at the age of 33!
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-12-27 4:17 PM
My family is not a Big Gift type of family, so I don't have any ideas for you.  I like the idea of a trip to a national park although I would be worried about "gift competition/inflation" with other members of your family and other events.  That's just a reflection on my upbringing and your situation is obviously different.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-28 10:31 AM
Yeah, there is some gift inflation.  At the same time, I feel like I want more reasons to spend time with the kids, as they get older, and are more adult (i'm not a huge fan of little kids).  I also suggested to MCF that we do a short backpacking trip in the mountains around here. I don't think she's ever backpacked and would probably really like learning the camp craft as well as the physical aspects (if we can keep her away from mosquitoes, she is allergic and MCF is allergic to DEET!!)
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2017-12-27 4:42 PM
2.0 turned 16 a few weeks ago and we didn't do anything special - sweet 16 is not a family tradition for us and not one I've really heard of.  That being said, we bought her a piano for Christmas, which is something she's been pining for for a long time (she has taken lessons for nine years and is pretty good - we've had a digital keyboard up until now).  We got it second-hand, following recommendations from her piano teacher about which brands to look for.  2.0 is thrilled with the piano and has been playing it lots since it was delivered.  So, if there's something large that your DN has been wanting for a while, maybe that would be a good gift?
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-27 4:49 PM
Good thoughts.  She has a piano, but I wonder if there is something else durable like that. I'll have to think about it.
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-12-27 6:34 PM
Does she have a favorite vacation spot? We took DD and a few friends to Disney for her 16th. I was so happy that she chose that over a party.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-28 10:33 AM
I'm not sure she's ever really had an opinion about vacation spots, she just goes where her parents tell her to.  :laugh: She's a really easy going kid and will enjoy whatever we do. She does take Spanish in school, I wonder if we could do something like Mexico City within a reasonable budget.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-12-27 7:23 PM
I got a car so.....sorry......:laugh:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-28 7:59 AM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-12-27 9:23 PM
I got a fishing pole.  :laugh:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-28 8:00 AM
Of all the things myDN wants, this is not one of them!:laugh:
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-28 7:48 AM
Sorry, no help from me...My family do not do presents for occasions particularly, so I'm at a loss. I like the experience approach though.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-28 10:44 AM
In general I like experiences as gifts. It is something we can share together, and the kids have more stuff than they need. We don't tend to do big gifts. The kids all got t-shirts from us for hanukah, and we typically spend about $25 per birthday.  This is something I've been thinking about since she was little. It may be more about me than about her.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2017-12-28 11:05 AM
I think it's really cool that you have such a close relationship with your DN that this idea is important to you.  :hug:  She is lucky to have so many relatives who want to make a fuss over her birthday. 

Going with an experience gives you a lot of options for creativity - you could spread it out over time, like, if you go with the backpacking idea, do a day trip for starters, then a one-night overnight, and then a three-day trip, or something like that. That way she can build up her confidence and experience and you can go to several different places in the area around where you live.
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-12-27 2:09 PM
I have to start adding lemon into my water. Is lemon juice concentrate as good as squeezing some lemon in? it seems easier to add into water and convenient.
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-12-27 2:47 PM
I'd think it's fine so long as there aren't any (or at least many) additives like preservatives or sugar. Otherwise you could probably get lemons juiced at a juice bar & keep in the fridge
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-27 3:47 PM
My BFF uses the bottled juice for her water. Just to give it some flavor.  You can get some that is real lemon, with nothing added. Then you don't have to worry about keeping fresh lemons around.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-12-27 4:04 PM
I think the little squeeze bottles that are shaped like lemons may be straight lemon juice.  At the grocery stores here, I usually find them in the produce section for $1.  I would think those would work well for squeezing lemon into water, perhaps easier than a bottle of lemon juice that is poured.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-28 7:48 AM
Yes, I've seen the same. Just lemon or lime juice.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-27 6:13 PM
As long as it's just lemon juice, yes it is fine. You can buy bottled lemon juice concentrate at the grocery store. Or lime juice if you prefer that.

How long have you been showing symptoms of scurvy? :wink:
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-12-27 6:29 PM Edited 2017-12-27 6:33 PM
That's what I have, lemon juice concentrate. I have kidney stones and apparently lemonade/lemon is helpful. I'm on potassium citrate, but still don't have my levels right. I'm severely deficit even on the meds, which is a cause of kidney stones.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Wonderful Wednesday NRR