Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / National Fruitcake Day, 27 Dec 2017
- - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-27 7:28 AM
According to the calendar, today is National Fruitcake Day!  Do you like fruitcake?  Did you have any this season?

What is the schedule for today?

Post, post, post...anything and everything, or just something.
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-12-27 8:48 AM
I like fruitcake somewhat.  Not something I find myself craving.  I did not have any this year and haven't thought about it until now.

It is a windchill of 0 this morning.  I got up at 4:30, drank a cup of coffee and out the door for a run.  I wore tights for the first time this season.  I rarely wear my tights so it's really, really cold if I run in tights.  My fingers were frozen inside of four pairs of gloves.  I battle cold fingers when there is a windchill every year.  I stopped running at 5 miles. 

My neck is aching this morning from sleeping wrong last night.  Melissa keeps laughing at me.: pbbt:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-27 11:04 AM
I too like fruitcake.  But haven't had any this year.

Just returned from my annual visit to the doctor.  Now I need to go to the grocery store. It is cold and we are making soup for lunch/dinner and staying indoors.  I may venture for a power walk.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-12-27 8:57 AM
4 slowish treadmill miles at the gym this morning. It was 17° and a bit breezy this morning but it isn't just the cold that kept me indoors. I get tired of all the laundry created by winter runs.  With all the multiple layers I have a full load of wash after a run. By going to the gym I just have shorts and a t-shirt.

6.3 miles left to my goal of 100 miles this month. I want to hit it before the 31st so I can rest a day before the 5k on the 1st. I don't plan to "race" or go for another fast mile like in my last race, but I like to have the extra energy anyway.  As long as I don't blow out a knee, get the flu, or get hit by a bus I should have no problem hitting 100 before the 31st.

I have never tried fruitcake. It looks so disgusting to me that I am sure I wouldn't like it. :roll:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-27 11:05 AM
I wonder if I should try a mileage goal this year. 

The cheap fruitcakes have given the good fruitcakes a bad rap.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-27 2:41 PM
Where is everyone?  Baking that fruitcake?
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-27 4:38 PM
I've not had fruitcake in years.  My mom's boss gave her one every Christmas back in the early 70's.  We only tried to eat it the first year; it was pretty bad.

Amy went home yesterday - the furnace had gone out in her apartment and we have sub zero temps.  Her landlord was so nice to text and say he hoped she was away for the holiday and not to hurry back!  She waited until it had been back on for an hour and all was well when she got home.

Lisa and Jacob are just now heading out for their last of 6 Christmas parties.  They go back to Michigan tomorrow.

I was  finishing yoga this morning when my sister called - she was in the ER awaiting a blood transfusion.:sad:  Not sure what's going on but Lisa and I hung out with her for the first couple hours.  She still has 4 hours to go before she is done.  I have an uneasy feeling that something horrible is about to unveil itself.

MB, I was going to make your Sopa recipe today.  I think we are getting Tex Mex takeout instead.  I'm too wiped to cook.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-27 5:34 PM

Hope there is nothing serious with your sister. Will keep her in my prayers.

Cold weather makes Mexican food taste even better.

It’s 35 degrees here and I just can’t bring myself to go outside. Another video workout today.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-27 4:54 PM
When I saw this quote about joy, I thought of Tom.

Joy is the infallible sign of the presence of God.
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
- - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-12-27 7:44 PM
I highly dislike Fruitcake! :laugh: It was one of those things I hated as a kid, tried again as an adult, but with the same result: ICK!

Looking for a low tonight of -24, tomorrow's high is -18. :hug::hug::hug:
I love this quirky, odd, tough place to live, community. People by and large, are awesome up here.

Squirrelcat is being fabulous, perhaps excepting those middle of the night spazz outs, that only a cat/kitten owner knows about! :laugh: They go slightly crazy at a fast and frenzied pace, for however long it takes to catch whatever imaginary thing it is that they are after. :laugh: Last night was a doozy. :cry::laugh:
Then she comes up and does her paw exercises on me with that half mew/chirp, passes out for a couple of hours and all is well. :hug:

So yeah, I've become *that* person that has nothing to talk about except her cat. :cry:
It was inevitable. After all, it's Fairbanks. :laugh:

*ETA: The "It's Fairbanks" is used to explain pretty much everything just slightly off,  up here. :shocker!::laugh:

I hit post instead of reply... forgive me! :cry:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-28 8:34 AM
Misha does the spazz out too.  Google says it is technically Frenetic Random Activity Periods or FRAP for short.  So when she goes spiraling through the house we say look out she's frapping!  She even knows the word.  C'mon Misha, lets go frap on the bed leads to a running leap followed by upwards of 20 spins.  She stops and looks at me as if to say what in the world just happened?  Then she passes out.:happy:

I envy how you've embraced the cold weather.  You are my mentor as long as Alaska stays colder than Illinois.  If we take the lead on cold temps I'm not coming out of the house!
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-12-28 8:47 AM
If you have access to comics, today's (12/28) Speed Bump strip shows a cat sitting on a chair talking on the phone and he says, "Can I call you back? I suddenly need to sprint into the other room and back for no apparent reason."
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-28 9:35 AM
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-12-28 4:21 PM
Up Topic Communities / Masters / National Fruitcake Day, 27 Dec 2017