Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Diet/Recipe Help
- - By swandive Date 2017-12-26 10:21 AM
Anyone familiar with oil-free plant-based eating?  Doctor sis gave Mom a book for Christmas about preventing and reversing heart disease (this book).  It advocates a very low fat vegan diet.  Mom is a lover of most animal-based foods and not very into dieting, but she seems surprisingly interested in trying this diet, at least for the short term.  I would like to be supportive and I know a good bit about vegan cooking but not nearly as much about oil-free.  Anyone happen to have good resources/recipes/tips?  Thanks!
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-12-26 10:42 AM
Sounds similar to Engine 2 plans. I've tried but can't do the low fat part (I don't want to cut out nuts, avocado, oils etc).
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-12-26 7:03 PM
It is very similar to Engine 2 -- apparently the Engine 2 guy is this guy's son -- but this diet is more restrictive on nuts and other plant-based fat sources.
Parent - - By laxrunner Date 2017-12-26 11:56 AM
I don't have any experience with this but I'm pretty sure I have ended up on this site while looking for vegetarian recipes. There is also a blog.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-12-26 7:03 PM
Thanks!
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-12-26 11:58 AM
You could try the Plant Based Endurance Athletes group on FB. I used to be a member for the recipes but recently left as I am not really plant based AT ALL. I know many and my friend Mitch is the admin of the group. If you want to join, I can let him know you are requesting admission.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-12-26 7:05 PM
A group with recipes?  Sounds promising. :grin:  I'll send them a request.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-12-27 7:08 AM
Well they do post other stuff and there are some rather devout people (like with any group) who can't see the big picture for others : pbbt: I'll let mitch know to look for your request.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-26 12:16 PM
Sounds very close to Pritikin's program that was popular in the 1980s. You might look up that also.

I don't know much about oil-free. I can do a lot of recipes with not much oil, but not using any oil sounds daunting.

I have been making a number of legume-based soups and stews with only enough oil to sauté onions and garlic and other aromatics, which would be maybe a tablespoon for a pot of soup that provides 8-10 servings.

One easy one: sauté a chopped onion, 3 cloves of garlic (minced), 3 diced carrots, and 2 diced stalks of celery in about 2-3 tsp of oil until onion is golden and carrots are softening, about 10 minutes. Add a pound of lentils, 1/2 small can tomato paste, and 8-10 c. of water to the pot and cook until the lentils are soft. Vegan, low fat, and very good. Add more water if you want soup, less if you want a stew. Salt as you wish. You could probably add sprigs of thyme and/or a bay leaf for extra seasoning.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-12-26 7:07 PM
No oil is a bit daunting, but I'm trying to learn.

Thanks for the recipe. :happy:
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-26 12:56 PM
I have to eat like this for various health reasons. I'll post back with resources and ideas this evening...
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-26 6:03 PM
In thinking about this, the most helpful thing for me is not to be reliant on recipes or particular dishes, but rather to think of what I can add to infuse and draw out flavour. So vegan, plant-based hopefully means lots of veg. Different cooking techniques lend deeper flavour (roasting, long braising, grilling). They can be amplified with a complementary herb/spice, often heavier than what would be instinctual as the veg can honestly take it. Roasting in particular seems to amplify the flavour of whatever it is. And though it seems counter intuitive, sometimes a long slow braise that appears to "overcook" the veg can strengthen the flavour (thinking of braised green beans and tomato here). Rare case though, admittedly. Mostly think about what flavour profile the veg naturally carries, and then determine how to either complement or set it off in contrast.

The Vegetarian Flavour Bible is a useful resource for pairings like this. (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetarian-Flavor-Bible-Creativity-Vegetables/dp/031624418X)
Also The Flavour Thesaurus (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flavour-Thesaurus-Niki-Segnit/dp/0747599777/)

Another element is thinking of what each ingredient brings to the dish. I use this a lot when I have to sub ingredients for celiac or allergy issues for myself. Is this ingredient used as a binder? As a thickener? As a softening agent? Is it meant to add flavour? Prevent sticking? Create a rise? What is its protein content (the answer often impacts the structure and behaviour of the ingredient in the dish)? This helps me find a suitable alternative. E.g. Oil or butter in a cake. It can usually be replaced by applesauce or other fruit puree (prune butter does well too). A GF high protein flour does not usually need as much of a binder than one with low protein - thus lentil or chickpea flour based pancakes/flatbread need no added binder, but pancakes made from millet or buckwheat flour need a bit of chia seed to hold together. I would use a different egg substitute if making pancakes than if making quickbread than if making a cake because they serve different purposes in each.

Also think about what the ingredient has in it naturally and if the added oil/fat is necessary. Often cookery books will add it because it is "done", not because it is necessary. So by playing with reducing the oil and adjusting the water, other flavourings, etc. one can find out where the edge really is. Also, some ingredients have fat in them naturally and don't need added oils as much. For example, the fat naturally in almond milk means that when making pudding that would normally call for butter (well, vegan butter), one can reduce or eliminate the added fat - what's in there naturally takes care of what is needed for the recipe to come out properly.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-12-26 7:02 PM
Thank you.  Your insight is really helpful. :happy:
Parent - - By j.c. [ca] Date 2017-12-26 3:18 PM
Check out Forks Over Knives. There are a few books, website and documentary. I’ve made a few recipes but I have found it hard to give up oil.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-26 5:21 PM
I think it's probably not a good idea to give up oils and fats completely. Skin's going to be awfully dry and there are some fat-soluble vitamins that would be difficult to get without some oils -- A, D, and E primarily. But certainly cutting way down on oils and fats would help a lot of people avoid empty calorie foods that have a high percentage of calories from fat. There's a big difference between hummus with a dash of sesame oil for flavor, or some walnuts on a salad, and eating bacon or French fries or gobs of butter on a regular basis.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-26 5:46 PM
Yes, it can be challenging, but I have to eat fats/oils very very sparingly or my system could have big problems due to failure to absorb/process and cascading issues.... Still, I generally agree that in general, moderation is a good thing - while one should likely not give them up completely, using them as a garnish rather than the key player is more suitable in most cases....
Up Topic Communities / Women / Diet/Recipe Help