Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Wednesday, 20 Dec 2017 Party On and on
- - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-20 6:05 AM
Good morning!

I'm going to continue Tom's partying mode.  Thanks to Rob, we have baby Elizabeth's birth and a wedding to celebrate. 

The sun is supposed to be out today!  Can't wait.  My friend and I are going for a long walk and soak in as much sunshine as we can!

I made a very Mexican meal last night.  Conchitas and sopes.  http://muydelish.com/2013/05/sopa-traditional-mexican-soup.html  https://patijinich.com/recipe/sopes/  Those handmade corn tortillas were delicious!

Have a good Wednesday all.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-20 6:39 AM Edited 2017-12-20 6:41 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I've been enjoying this soup at LaFamilia restaurant for years but never thought there would be a recipe.  I assumed it was saved in the cook's head and not written down anywhere.   I know better than to try making the tortillas without a press though.  I tried it once; what a mess.  I hope you get your sunshine today.

Now for Tom:  Thank you, thank you, thank you for the evening Christmas light run suggestion.  I ran a 1/2 mile loop from my front door ( a little nervous to venture too far from home alone after dark).  The lights are amazing and I reversed the loop every other time because it changed the view. 

Some sort of yoga today.  There are a couple youtubes of pre and post run stretches that I think will feel good today after last nights run.  I'll do some ab work too as I skipped it Monday.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-12-20 8:34 AM
Glad you enjoyed the light run.  Probably good sense not venturing too far.
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-12-20 9:00 AM
that soup looks good. never had it before.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-12-20 8:16 AM
Ran 4 this morning in the park. 42° and overcast.

Friday we are having dinner with friends from church. The guy is a fellow craft beer enthusiast so I wanted to bring something for him to try. I looked up my favorite brewery in Michigan, New Holland Brewery, and found a distributor in South Point Ohio.  That wasn't too far away so I drove over yesterday evening and picked up a couple different types.  Cindy went with me and we stopped at a new place for dinner.  Keeping with the Mexican theme, it was a Mexican restaurant in South Point that people have told us was a good place. It was a nice place. Good atmosphere. Food was good too I thought.  Cindy thought it wasn't spicy enough and she could be right but it was still good.

Haircut this afternoon. Way overdue. I go to a place in the mall. Should be fun fighting the crowds for a parking place.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-12-20 8:37 AM
Hair cut at the mall before Christmas:shocker!::cry::wtf:  That barber better be very special.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-20 8:45 AM
I've had lunch at the New Holland Brewery's restaurant.  I didn't try the beer though.  I know it is one of Lisa and Jacob's favorites so I expect they will bring some for Christmas.  That's one of the perks of the kids living in Michigan - they try all the craft beers and share the good ones.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-12-20 9:14 AM
In 2004, I ran my first and for a long time, my best half marathon in Kalamazoo. After the race I did some exploring on the west coast and decided to spend the night in New Holland. I was looking for a place to eat and ended up at the Brewery. It was my introduction to craft beer which I knew nothing about. They brought me out a sampler of beers which I thought was the coolest thing ever.

So I have a attachment to New Holland Brewery beyond just the beer, but I do like a lot of their beers. I bring some home every time I visit Michigan. Now I know of a place just 20 miles away that carries a number of them, so that is great.

Craft beer is a billion dollar industry in Michigan. Last statistic I saw had Michigan behind California & Colorado in craft beer revenue. Coming to WV was like going back in time to the days of prohibition, but things are improving here.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-12-20 9:16 AM
I guess the town name is just Holland Michigan. Not New Holland.  Sorry if I accidentally sent anyone to the wrong town to find beer.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-20 9:56 AM
The amount of craft beers in Michigan is overwhelming.  They can be overboard weird though.  The kids spent a weekend in Holland and brought back Saugutuk Brewery Neapolitan Milkshake stout.  Yep, vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate flavored beer.  Beyond weird.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-20 8:46 AM
This is worth a 2nd post of the day - I remember Marilyn, when you were posting pictures of the rocks you found around town.  I finally found one today!  Mine said "hope".  So perfect for the season.   Misha and I relocated it.  I'm not telling where.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-12-20 8:48 AM
Ooooh  Advent rocks!
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-20 12:54 PM
I know it is a small thing, but I loved finding the rocks.  Did you post a picture?

Hope has been the theme of all of my Advent reading this week.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-20 1:16 PM
No picture.  I rarely take my phone with me.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-12-20 8:47 AM
Party on and on and on and on.  The final of the F-O-U-R parties was the heavyweight.  Fun gathering mix of past and present science teachers.  I have gained 3 lbs since Sunday.:cry:  I think 2 of that was last night.  Chicken parm weighed in at 4 pounds.  I brought home more that I ate.  Was up till 3 AM at Aunt Shirley.  No run yet.  Perhaps this afternoon. 

Up next BJs to shop for Hope Dining Room tomorrow. 3 out of 4 cars in the family currently on disabled list.  Got a new Sonata for loaner.  Not much different than my current one.  Don't see any reason to trade up. 

Lynda and I are cancelling our trip to Philly this afternoon.  Had planned to go see Christmas lights and sights and sounds of big city.  Too much at home to deal with. 

Tom in DE
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-20 9:57 AM
Is the transmission under warranty?
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-12-20 12:43 PM
Transmission is under warranty.  $100 deductible I think.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-20 12:53 PM
Thank heavens!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-20 1:17 PM
Whew!!
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-12-20 4:41 PM
But my Honda transmission warranty expired about 20 years ago.  I'm waiting on a part from ebay for that!:shocker!:
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-12-20 9:03 AM
Good morning All!

Run 10.81 this morning. Cloudy and cool out. Decent running weather. Taking Sammie out to lunch, not sure where we are going. Somewhere without kids.
Coffee Maker is dying!!!:cry::cry: Just ordered a new one from Amazon. $37 and free same day shipping, will be here by 8pm they say.
My espresso machine still works, so that will keep me caffeinated.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-20 9:58 AM
Well that's some good news.  The people at amazon must have heard what you're like when decaffeinated.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-20 12:05 PM
Back from a 4.5 mile PW and it is 75 degrees and sunny!  Woo Hoo!  My husband is wearing shorts to golf.

Now I am going to bake a cake for my hairdresser.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-20 3:47 PM
Help!  I am baking this recipe https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/caribbean-rum-cake-recipe and by accident added the 2 sticks of butter to the batter.  The batter tasted fine and google is not very helpful.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-12-20 4:36 PM
If you doubled the butter, double everything else and make 2 cakes.:wink:
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-20 4:37 PM
But it was already in the oven when I realized the mistake. :sad:

But it did rise and looks pretty good.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-12-20 4:42 PM
Send me a slice and I'll test it.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-20 5:00 PM
:laugh: wish I could!
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-12-20 5:02 PM
The extra butter will probably make it taste even better.
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2017-12-20 7:30 PM
I’m making this cake on Christmas Day. Looked at the recipe and it sounds delicious :happy:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-20 7:53 PM
It is very good Dottie.  I've made it before for a friend as a birthday gift and he liked it.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-12-21 6:25 AM
If you had noticed it and not added the oil you could have skipped the oil. I have substituted butter for oil (just melting the butter) and had excellent results, just changes flavors slightly of whatever you are making. Did you notice a difference in the finish product?
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-21 6:43 AM
I just took it out of the pan and put in on a platter.  Looks ok.  Keeping my fingers crossed that the finished product will taste as good as the batter.
Parent - By DottieO Date 2017-12-20 7:33 PM
I posted on the wrong day. So if you are inclined it’s posted on Tuesday’s thread.

:grin:
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Wednesday, 20 Dec 2017 Party On and on