Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / December Movie Thread
- - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-12-16 8:51 AM
So I saw the new Star Wars movie and enjoyed it a lot, though I have seen online that some fans were displeased with it (I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that The Beard will not like it).  What did YOU think?  :shocker!::wtf: Also, talk about non Star Wars movies if you want.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-12-17 10:30 AM
A friend said he liked it too and never had a dull moment :cool:
Obviously I will check out the movie myself in the next week somewhere.

Since I pity-replied to your thread maybe you can say something about the "cat person" thread I posted :wtf::shocker!::happy:

edit: apparently we pity-replied to eachother's threads at the same time :shocker!::laugh:
Parent - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2017-12-18 3:06 PM
Never a dull moment? I wonder if he got a shorter version.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-12-17 12:48 PM
I’ve read some spoilers and am less than pumped.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-12-18 9:39 AM
I don't think this contains any spoilers.

Please note that I have not seen the movie yet and am basing this solely on things that I've read...

I'm concerned about the direction that the series is headed, it seems to be becoming less "Star Wars" in general with some fairly major shifts in how characters and concepts are described. It seems like it is trying to broaden the Star Wars universe in a way that doesn't improve the story but rather makes it easier to just keep pumping out more movies.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-01-02 7:21 AM
I'm going to watch it tomorrow in IMAX 3D (ALL CAPS, FOOL :cool:).

I talked to a friend and he liked it, but there were too many attempts to be "funny" with stupid one-liners.
On the plane to Toronto last month I watched "Guardians of the Galaxy 2", and I found those silly jokes so annoying that I completely disconnected from the plot. I don't even remember how it ends (or if I saw the end at all? Yes I think I did though).
Both are Disney and I'm very worried they're going the GotG route.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-02 8:20 AM
I liked the first Guardians of the Galaxy quite a bit but couldn't make it more than 20 minutes into the second one. It fell totally flat for me.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-01-02 9:30 AM
I lost interest during the opening scene but toughed it out (...ooh so this is the tone of the movie :roll::meh:).
It didn't get better.
Blows my mind that it gets 83% on Rotten Tomatoes :wtf:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-02 9:32 AM
That opening scene was not very entertaining and it went on for what seemed like forever.:meh:
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2018-01-04 2:57 PM
Sorry, while Guardians of the Galaxy II was not as good as I, I really liked it.  I am looking forward to the eventual third movie and am looking forward to Avengers:  Infinity War coming out later this year.  I’m a sucker for final scenes after the credits (there were multiple ones in GOTG II).  Missed that in Star Wars (are they too good for that???).
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-02 3:34 PM
Both are Disney and I'm very worried they're going the GotG route.

This. I've not yet seen TLJ but I've read a fair amount about it, seen some clips online and all of it has me thinking that it will be awful. The plot seems weak as a whole and many of the specific plot points are terrible, taking Star Wars in a very generic non-Star Wars direction. The clips that I've seen are pretty bad. A couple are downright laughable and others are generic CGI blowed up real good garbage.
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-12-17 8:20 PM
Liked some of the character work.  Not a huge fan of the direction.  Some cool cinematic choices, but some obvious ones.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-12-18 8:20 AM
It started slow, but I liked the ending. Overall I liked it a lot! :hug:
Parent - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2017-12-18 3:05 PM
I enjoyed the new Star Wars movie. It had it's bad things. It was probably 20-25 minutes too long. There were probably 3-4 too many instances of an out of place joke that doesn't really fit the tone of the movie.  The direction of the movie was well done, though again, there were a handful of shots that just doesn't fit the normal Star Wars vibe. At this point though, we are going to get diminishing returns on these star wars movies. I honestly don't want more movies of just fill in stories here and there.
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-12-19 5:36 AM
My dh can't wait to see this movie. A mutual FB friend of ours posted a mega spoiler "to be a dick" and dh unfriended him immediately. SW is tearing friendships asunder this holiday season. :sad:
Parent - - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) [us] Date 2017-12-19 6:19 AM
No worries, SW has been tearing The Beard apart for decades and he still is surviving.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-12-19 8:23 AM
Speaking of tearing me apart... I'm going to see The Disaster Artist tonight.:cool:
Parent - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2017-12-19 8:28 AM
:cool:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-12-19 8:12 PM
It was okay. If you’re not a fan of The Room I doubt that you’d like it.

6/10
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-12-28 8:18 PM
I saw The Disaster Artist today and LOVED it! I did not see The Room, but am familiar with the back story.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-12-29 8:09 AM
You should read the The Disaster Artist book. It’s hilarious and much better than the movie.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-12-29 12:02 PM
I'll check it out. I saw the movie with blazerboy, who is going to study film & broadcasting next year. It was fun listening to him laugh at things which would have just blown by me like when Tommy said......"We will be shooting in both 35mm and HD at the same time." My kid laughed so hard at this he nearly cried.:laugh:  He likened this to me training to PR in both the mile and the marathon at the same time.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-12-29 12:14 PM
The book is surprisingly well written and goes into a fair amount of detail about everything in the movie adaptation and covers a bunch of stuff not in the movie. It's not often that I laugh out loud while reading a book but I did with this.

Also, you NEED to see The Room.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-12-19 8:24 AM
I've willingly exposed myself to all the spoilers and have to say that I fear that I'll think the movie sucks.
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-12-19 8:37 AM
It's worth seeing even if you and your DH have been unfairly and wrongly exposed to plot details.  :cool:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-01-03 4:18 PM
I saw star wars in 3d imax.

First of all I thought the movie was good, very enjoyable and a solid 8/10.
I was worried about the humour, but it was okay, not too much.

They took some liberties with the whole Jedi thing and The Force, some encounters I found quite implausible but all in all I found it very entertaining.
The 3D IMAX was really cool as well, you always had the impression  with those close-ups that those villains were right in your face, which with the Dark Emperor isn't a pretty sight :shocker!::cool:
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-01-03 4:24 PM Edited 2018-01-03 4:26 PM
I thought it was very entertaining as well.  I have no beef with expanding the scope of force powers as the series goes on -- that's what always happens with Superheroes too.  I sort of get the disappointment of some of the fans who had a very specific idea of how they wanted the story to go that did not happen, but after the three prequels, it seems like a minor miracle to just get a decent movie out of the series, so I'm cool with moving the story in some directions if they mostly work.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-01-03 6:08 PM
Without giving away spoilers, they did a good job expanding enough "accidental heroes" to keep it interesting.
They also did a great job diversifying characters. Lots of women and different ethnicities in an active role and it works (and not just a token character).
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-01-04 8:49 AM
My dh is going with my sister and my dad on Sunday in IMAX 3D as well. I will be left home to wrangle the offspring. :sad:
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-01-04 5:51 PM
I'm sure your dh will be glad to go a second time with you, making sure he didn't miss any of the inner plots :wink:
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2018-01-04 2:50 PM
I also saw The Last Jedi last night.  I really liked it.  I’m also getting a little tired of the haters of the latest generation of Star Wars movies.  In the previous movies/trilogies, there were always plot problems where the concepts were pretty farfetched.  While I liked the original trilogy (4, 5, and 6) best, the prequels were horrible.  I can only watch episode 1, even with Jar Jar Binks.  It’s a shame because there were some very good actors (Ewan Mcgregor and Natalie Portman especially).  That was a good example of the creator gone mad.  Lucas has gone so far as making me hate the original trilogy whenever the obvious CGI scenes pop up.  I’ve heard they might release the original versions of Star Wars in the future.  I would look forward to that.  I for one am very glad George Lucas is no longer directing or producing Star Wars.
Parent - By pufkast Date 2018-01-10 1:04 PM
I rarely go to movies, but recently saw both the new Star Wars and Ladybird

Star Wars:  I was underwhelmed.  Like others said, it was too long and I didn't find the plot that exciting.  I don't get any of the hype over the porgs

Ladybird:  Very much liked this, and I was surprised because I'm not really an Indie movie guy.  I went mainly because I like Laurie Metcalf as an actress.  It portrayed the life of an 18 year old girl entering adulthood so very well.
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-19 6:34 AM
We went to see Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Last night we rented Wind River (loved Hell or High Water and Sicario) and it was equally well done and sad. :sad:
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-12-19 8:38 AM
I'll have to check Wind River out.  I thought Sicario was great and liked HOHW too.
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-19 8:49 AM
It's worth it, I think.

Also, the scenery. Wow.
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-01-01 10:58 AM
I saw it on a plane over the holidays.  Thought it was pretty good, but not as good as Sicario or HOHW, which are both minor classics IMO. 

SEMI-SPOILER:  The climax struck me as a bit ridiculous, so that lost a couple of points for me.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-01-02 3:52 PM
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2017-12-29 2:14 PM
I also want to see Wind River as I've driven through that area.  But after going to IMDB, most of the movie was filmed in Utah with a few scenes in Wyoming when they needed to show signs for the different towns.
- - By callie [ca] Date 2017-12-29 3:53 AM
Has the Beard seen it yet? I’ve been on the edge of my seat waiting for the review.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-12-29 8:10 AM
No. I don’t have a strong desire to after reading about the plot.
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-12-29 8:11 AM
We watched Space Jam last night. None of us had seen it before. We were pleasantly surprised.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-01-02 7:14 AM
Did they win :wtf:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-02 8:20 AM
I will not spoil it.
- By neustkg (Important) Date 2017-12-29 2:15 PM
We plan to see it this weekend.  Looking forward to seeing it, not for spending the money on the tickets and popcorn, drinks, etc.  Popcorn and drinks can be more $$$ than the price for the movie itself.
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-12-29 4:26 PM
Just saw Molly's Game and really enjoyed it. I am a HUGE Aaron Sorkin fan and he did not disappoint. I am guessing there were at least a few "Sorkin-isms" in the film, but I only saw one. When Molly was in her attorney's office, the screen saver said "Gage Whitney". Anyone know who else worked at Gage Whitney?

The movie was 2:20, but flew by. Two thumbs up.
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-01-02 7:26 AM
Sam Seaborn
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-01-02 11:57 AM
You are now my new favorite forumnite!
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-01-02 12:47 PM
:laugh:

I think in a thread or comment about podcasts, you were the only one who was following west wing weekly? Am I remembering that right?
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-01-02 3:51 PM
I love WWW!  The West Wing is probably my favorite TV show of all time.  The podcast makes watching it for the 8th or 9th time even better!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-01-02 8:23 PM
Me too!
Parent - - By tizzy319 (gaping five hole) [us] Date 2018-01-03 10:19 AM
They pay well ($400,000/year) but I can never remember the name of the firm...they did the Shearson deal.  Plus they have a great hoddog vendor right outside at all hours of the day.  :laugh::wink:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-01-03 10:47 AM
This posts warms my heart. :hug: As we all know how arrogant Josh Lyman is, his ego is exploding right now.:laugh:
Parent - By tizzy319 (gaping five hole) [us] Date 2018-01-04 10:29 AM
:laugh::hug:

Thankfully since I moved, he's not my Mayor anymore.  :wink:
- By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-01-01 2:00 PM
Saw "Stronger" over Christmas and enjoyed it.  Looking forward to reading the book. 

I have no idea what year this movie was made; if it belongs in this thread or not.
- By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2018-01-02 8:51 AM
Watched Kingsman Golden Circle this weekend. If you liked the first one and the action and humor of it you'll probably like this one as well. it's not as good as the first. Channing Tatum is barely in it which is odd.

Also saw another movie but that was yesterday so can't mention it in the December thread.
- - By jennyO Date 2018-01-04 4:29 PM
I really liked The Shape of Water.  Beautiful (of course ... all of Guillermo del Toro's movies are), but also a very sweet and unusual story.

Also saw Downsizing with my daughter.  It was funny, although not formulaic.  Not at all what I was expecting, and that's a compliment.

Can't wait to see The Phantom Thread when it's in broader release.  I realized I've never seen a PT Anderson movie on the big screen.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-01-04 4:32 PM
I am looking forward to the The Phantom Thread as well!
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-01-04 5:10 PM
I'm sort of interested in The Phantom Thread but don't really like scary movies.  :sad:: pbbt::roll:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-05 8:09 AM
The Phantom Thread? Is that the one with all the boring senate meetings?
- - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-01-09 8:19 AM
I watched a new release movie and even stayed awake for the whole thing! :shocker!: Last night we watched The Shape of Water. It was pretty good. Honestly ruined by the fact it was filmed in Toronto. Having lived here my whole life I recognise any exterior shot and it brings down the 4th wall hard. I preferred Pan's Labyrinth. 7/10 for originality.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-01-09 8:28 AM
Today I learned the meaning of "the 4th wall" :happy:
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-01-09 8:30 AM
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-01-09 1:17 PM
Gilligan's Island - notorious for breaking it :cool:
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-01-09 8:59 AM
This should be in the January movie thread. I rate your review 8/10 but had trouble making it through knowing it was in the wrong spot so I drop it to 3/10
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-01-09 8:59 AM
:cry:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-01-09 12:21 PM
IF I COULD GIVE IT LESS THAM 1 STAR, I WOULD!!!!!!
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-01-09 10:26 AM
That guy didn't look anything like the real sea monsters in Toronto :cry:: pbbt::hug:
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-01-09 10:50 AM
SPOILER: The whole time I was like "but he'll die in Lake Ontario it's fresh water!" ... but i'd had a bit too much wine so that probably didn't help. :roll:
Parent - By jennyO Date 2018-01-09 12:33 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-01-09 3:46 PM
:laugh::hug:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / December Movie Thread