Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Flu Shot question
- - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-12-07 8:36 AM Edited 2017-12-07 8:40 AM
Hey ladies - just wondering if you guys are getting your flu shot this year? Also do you know if they let little kiddos get them? My little guy is almost 17 months. Should I get one for him? Curious what this crowd thinks! :happy:

Edit: I know they're saying it's only 10% effective this year for the bad strain but I also read that it makes the flu symptoms a bit lessened if you do get it... so that's why I'm considering it for Benjamin.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-07 8:49 AM
I'm not, because I have an adverse reaction to the jab itself (and even the alternate version).

Regarding your DS, the jab is recommended for all over the age 6 months, and particularly so for children under age 5. There are special versions for children 6 months through 8 years, requiring two doses instead of one. More information on the 'flu jab for children from the CDC here: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/children.htm
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-12-07 8:53 AM
Thanks! I asked this in a moms group on FB and they said the same thing so I booked him an appointment. Just chucking it onto the mega heap of worries. :roll:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-12-07 9:02 AM
I'm not for or against but I don't get them. I have a very strong immune system. It used to be healthy people were discouraged from getting them to ensure vaccinations were available to those at risk. Now I hear everyone is supposed to get them and that just seems ridiculous to me.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-07 11:00 AM
I used to take this philosophy. Then in one year I had three friends who were immuno-compromised for some reason.  I realized that heard immunity makes a real difference. Since then I've gotten it.  Low risk, and helpful for others.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-07 11:03 AM
As someone who falls into the immuno-compromised category, and who also has severe adverse reactions to the flu jab, I thank you. :hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-12-07 11:52 AM
I cannot remember ever having the flu as an adult so it's seems illogical.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-12-07 9:08 AM
We get them. The only reason I get them is because my husband is able to administer them and will bring one home for me or I would not get them. I was livid the one year I got one because I had it done at my annual physical and I got a bill from the Dr for $50 because the insurance company wouldn't pay for my dr to do it, I was supposed to go to a minute clinic. There is not a location near me that offered these services and would have required an hour drive and then a wait time of anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour. I was livid.

Honestly even though there effectiveness is not high, it's like any vaccine, if I get it and my family gets it, it helps reduce the spread (theoretically) and helps prevent those people who CAN'T get the vaccines from getting whatever illness is around.
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-12-07 10:05 AM
It's free here and you can get it at any pharmacy but people still skip it due to some kind of skepticism and probably also laziness. I'm usually guilty of the latter but things look a little different when you have a kid as most of us know.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-07 10:41 AM
It is also free here, I was unaware that in some areas one must get it through insurance. Even if I were to get it at my GP, it would be covered as part of routine preventative healthcare.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-12-07 1:34 PM
It's "free" aka insurance foots the entire cost if you go where they tell you to go and get it, otherwise it costs money. I thought when I had the GP do it, that it was covered, it was quite an unpleasant surprise when I found out it wasn't.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-12-07 9:23 AM
We got it.  Having the flu is not fun.  Transmitting the flu to infants and/or grandparents because you didn't get vaccinated is more not fun.

ETA that sounds sanctimonious so I will confess that last year I did not get a vaccination because I never got around to it.
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-12-07 9:28 AM
Ha that's ok I am just really scared I'll infect him and he'll suffer horribly and it'll be all my fault so your "sanctimonious"ness is just affirmation of one of my giant fears. : pbbt:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2017-12-07 9:32 AM
In our house it was usually the other way around.  He picked up something at daycare and shared. :meh:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-12-07 9:33 AM
We typically get them (although haven't yet this year). Last year O got flu even with vaccine and 2 years ago I got it but both if us didn't get too sick because we'd had the vaccine.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2017-12-07 9:54 AM
Target will give you $5 gift card and it's free. I am rounding up the homeless now to make sure they get their shot cause I'm just a good person like that....:laugh:: pbbt:
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-12-07 10:01 AM
That is really nice:hug:
Parent - - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2017-12-07 11:55 AM
Ok I hope you realize I was joking about the homeless....:shocker!::wink:
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-12-07 12:25 PM
Um of course I did(nt):roll::blush:
Parent - - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2017-12-07 9:57 AM
Please can I put in a PSA for EVERYONE to get their vaccines if you can...not because "vaccines cause autism BS that was always BS and is now proven" reason but if you medically cannot understood.

Evan was going through chemo could not be vaccinated. Those who chose stupidity over vaccines put his life and the life of all that cannot get them for real in grave danger.

Anyone who thinks they shouldn't vaccinate their kids has never spent time in a third world country where children routinely die of these illnesses and their parents walk for 3 days in the sun to stand outside a clinic to get their kids vaccinated if possible.

Rant over.
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-12-07 10:03 AM
yes ma'am:hug:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-12-07 10:16 AM
Yes, this!:hug:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-07 11:37 AM
Yes. This.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-12-07 1:38 PM
And did you see that yet another celebrity, and one I thought had a decent brain, is coming out as not vaccinating their kids? I was like WTAF? It's Justin Timberlake and man he has an even bigger following that some others (jenny Mccarthy) who went that way. Seriously pissed me right the f off. I actually got into a discussion that was taken over by 2 others on an anti-vaccer who lives in the Pacific NW and was not doing the HPV vaccine for her kids. She almost got more shit from the other 2 until she said she does the standards just not when the gov says to do  them, but spreads them out. I am not sure if I believe her because that came a whole lot later in the discussion.
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-12-07 4:50 PM
Absolutely. I get it EVEN THOUGH I usually have a reaction-which is minor in the scheme of things, usually get a low grade fever for a day or two, feel a little punkish. Because herd immunity, and science.
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2017-12-07 10:05 AM
Everyone in our house has had the flu shot every year.  When DS2 was 6 months it was the end of February and I still got his.  As moonglow stated he will need two vaccines spaced about 4 weeks apart.  DS1 has had mild reactions to vaccinations (not just flu.)  He will often get a low-grade fever. Thankfully he did not get one with the vaccination this year.  None of us have had the flu since we've been getting a yearly vaccinations even when other family members of mine have had it who chose to not get the flu vaccination
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-07 11:02 AM
I got it. I was at the drs office for something else and walked into their clinic.  My insurance covers it 100% and I don't really mind shots. My arm was sore for about two days, but not in any way that mattered.
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-12-07 11:31 AM
I get the flu shot every year.

My daughter has been getting them for several years, I can't remember when we started, but it was whenever her pediatrician said to.

We have never done the mist - always the shot.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-07 11:36 AM
Yes, I got mine. Every year. I had the flu in college and I never want to go through that again. Even if the shot only lessens the symptoms, that's worth it in my book.

I believe anyone over 6 months can get it, and yes I took the kids to get theirs when they were little. I don't think either of mine have ever had flu.

It's not just for me, it's also that my mum is nearing 80 and the very old and very young are the most vulnerable.
Parent - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-12-07 1:08 PM
Just to add to the other responses, yes we all got one. DS was offered one at his last check up and I was offered one by the OB office. I gently reminded DH to go in for his.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-12-07 6:44 PM
I get the flu shot due to asthma and being "elderly". A few years ago DC took me to the ER with bronchitis. I had been falling asleep for hours on end and couldn't stay awake. The ER told us they felt I had a type of flu. They had been seeing an unexpected strain that wasn't in the shot. I can see why people living alone could die of flu by just "drifting off" if no one was checking on them. (Thanks, DC!) :hug:
Parent - By Annie Date 2017-12-08 7:35 AM
We've already gotten the jab. After catching a horrible flu in 2016 that took us about 6 weeks to fully recover from and was thought to have made my concussion worse (I got sick about a week after getting hit in the head) we now get the flu shot. I never want to experience being that sick for that long again.

This year I had a bit of a reaction of feeling sick (full body achy with a slight fever) for about a day that I didn't have last year.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-12-08 9:28 AM
I got mine - I started getting mine a few years ago when my work had them done at our office for free.  M doesn't get them because he hates needles.

B got his, he had to get a booster 30 days later too. I forget if it was because he was under 1 or because it was his first time ever (or maybe both). So just a heads up for your B too
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-12-08 9:34 AM
I got one and my LO got one too.  My ped was for it, and I really trust him.  He definitely is on the less intervention is better side, so when he recommends something, I tend to go for it.

P had a slight reaction - the area around the shot was red and a little swollen for about a week, but she's fine now (15 months)
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-07 9:21 AM
My husband and kids have gotten one this year. I didn't.
My daughter had a reaction and I'm pretty sure I won't let her get another one without a lot more answers (which the doctor didn't satisfy this year) ... her entire thigh swelled up and it was red and warm. Anyone's kid ever had this reaction?  I wish I could post a pic.

We drink elderberry syrup which we term tincture daily during the cold/flu season and I'm hoping that keeps me healthy. :happy:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-07 9:59 AM
Anyone have any insight on her reaction?

I'll admit I am not avoiding the shot because of that... I will go get one. I've just been lazy.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-07 10:44 AM
I've had that reaction to other jabs, but my reaction to the flu jab is different (I get swelling of the throat and lips).
Parent - - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2017-12-07 11:56 AM
You are so sensitive I am not surprised you react. I think there is an egg issue? I think the nasal spray does not contain any eggs?
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-07 12:04 PM
Yes, with the regular jab it is the egg issue. The nasal also gives me a reaction, though I am not sure of the source (and did not feel like going through all the allergy testing to figure out what component was causing it...)
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-07 12:52 PM
My pharmacy said the nasal spray has been discontinued. Not this year, not ever.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2017-12-10 5:52 AM
Why? It was a much better option for people who hate shots or can't get them?
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-12-10 6:02 AM
it didn't work.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-10 7:39 AM
Our pediatrician said the same. Brett didn't react to that.
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-12-07 10:01 AM
That's really upsetting and my second ranking flu shot related fear:cry:
Parent - - By PTRunner [us] Date 2017-12-09 7:31 PM
Landon gets that. He got the shot in his arm a d as swelled from his clavicle to his elbow twice the size of his other arm with lots of pain.  There was a term for it.  It's more than a localized reaction but he was not anaphylactic to it (he has food allergies).  We have not yet discussed it with his allergist but will.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-09 8:28 PM
Very curious what you find out!! Please let me know!
- By PTRunner [us] Date 2017-12-09 7:28 PM
We get it.  DH and I both with in hospitals and have to (required as part of employment).  The kids all get it though in the future LJ may not.  He has a weird reaction which is very painful for him. In talking to the ped (We have yet to consult with his allergist but will) she was inclined. To possibly skip it in the future. We have yet to decide for sure.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Flu Shot question