Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Wondering Wednesday's NRR
- - By newfmrs Date 2017-12-06 10:58 AM
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2017-12-06 11:08 AM
I'm wondering how I will survive my post-op time.  I'm supposed to be non-weight bearing for two weeks then in a boot for another 2-4 weeks.  I'm worried about the first two weeks with the little ones.  I also didnt feel like my DH was taking it seriously enough.  The boys treat me like a jungle gym.  I can't have them jumping on my cut up foot and calf.  For lots of reasons.  I have waited about a year for surgery and during that year basically could do little to no physical activity. I dont' want to mess up the surgery.  It's next Wed afternoon.  DH & I have debated back in forth that he planned to leave me alone Fri morning (less than 48 hours post-op) with both boys and get DS1 off to school on my own (they pick him up at house but still.)  I was like it can't happen.  He kind of ignored it but I guess now he will try to reschedule the appt.  I would have been alone w/ DS2 for probably 3-4 hours.  His appointment it important but I had the surgery date planned prior to the appt.  Just heard he was able to reschedule (there were time constraints to his appts so had to be done as well.)  I plan to have the house stocked up, clothes laid out for kids for at least a week, house cleaned, etc before next Wed.  I do feel bad for my DH as he'll try to work from home to some extent while also wathing DS2 and taking both boys to all of DS2's appts.  It should be fun all around.  I definitely want to hit fast forward by say oh 6 weeks.  DS1 wants to go to the beach for Christmas (heck he wants to go every day) but not sure if I'll be able to do it with stitches and one of those knee cart thingies.  DD1 will be home on break so she could help w/ all the kids if they want to go without me I suppose.

ETA - DD1 got a final moved up so she's now able to fly in early Dec 19th until late Dec 20th.  That will be a huge help during this post op time and we miss having her around so any extra time is good.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-06 11:16 AM
Post-op is nothing to minimise (says she who has gone through several in recent months)... just from my own experience with a serious, open abdomen/chest surgery, I was in no shape to even stand or make much sense 48 hrs post op. All the meds impair ability, apart from the actual pain/recovery. Expecting you to tend to small children is unrealistic. Remind me, how old are DS1 and DS2? Can they understand that mum is having an important and hard medical procedure and that this year will be different from others? That they may not be able to do all the things that you lot might do as a family under normal circumstances, but that having mum be healthy means that she can do more with them later?
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2017-12-06 11:30 AM
The boys are my worry at 3 and 2.  Pretty sure they won't understand at all.  I mean they will get that I am hurt but other than that I'm not sure they will understand the boundaries.  I did tend to DS1 alone after my c-section after one week.  I basically didn't leave the bed though and he was right there with me.  That would be much, much easier than their current age.  I'm worried about them jumping up on my leg.  After knee surgery I was pretty fine tending to myself but that was it.  I couldn't be weight bearing then either for 2 weeks and recovery will be about same this time around.  I'm told probably only 2-3 months of PT where knee surgery was a full 5 months of PT after the first two weeks.  I go for my preop w/ the surgeon tomorrow and hope to clarify things.  I saw online some folks actually were casted but I swear last time he told me it'll be a boot but I can't put weight on it for 2 weeks.  I tend to not take any pain meds other than ibuprofen.  This was true for c-section as well which I felt was pretty major.  I vomit every single pain med up and vomit from surgery as well so I prefer the pain over constantly throwing up.  I think I will probably sleep most of the afternoon after surgery.  The biggest issue is them ripping apart stitches - I'll have two separate incisions and both somewhat substantial.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-06 11:56 AM
:cry: That is a hard age to manage with, on your own. I was only on pain meds for 2 days (whilst still in hospital, stopped even before they were willing to release me 8 days later, for similar reasons - I react so poorly to them), but even using only ibuprofen pain is an impairing issue. I hope your DH can step up and manage both DSs to give you the space you need. Even if it is just for the first 4-5 days, you need that to heal.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-12-06 6:58 PM
Buy them ipads and you won't have to worry about interacting with them again for the next oh say 100 years
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2017-12-06 7:35 PM
You don't want to meet my kids :cry:.  DS1 uses some speech software on an iPad.  He will use one or a tablet but has way too much physical energy he must burn.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-12-06 9:07 PM
That's a tough age since even if they do understand, they are not really in control of their bodies so much, or their ability to accept limitations like that.  :sad:  hope you can get someone in to help!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-12-06 11:17 AM
Oof. That is a serious concern, whether you can survive the post-op period with the little ones around. You need help in the house, and someone to deflect the kidlets from you. Any relatives who might be willing and able to come stay with you?
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2017-12-06 11:33 AM
I wish.  It's the reason I didnt' have it done while DH was deployed.  Glad DD1 had her final moved.  She has missed the kids and will want to spend time playing with them so basically my DH will have not quite a week on his own.  He's capable of it (other than cooking!!!!) but it's more I worry if he's trying to take work calls, etc.  I will probaly plan to lock the door to my bedroom so an escapee doesn't come jump on me.  DD1 will be here for basically 11 full days so that should get me through the rough part of recovery.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-12-06 11:56 AM
Ooof. Well...sounds like you have an adequate amount of people who will be in the house with you.

DH doesn't cook, huh? : pbbt:
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2017-12-06 5:39 PM
Nope and he doesn't want to get take out.  We should all lose some weight!
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-12-06 6:04 PM
Silver linings...? :laugh::hug:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-12-06 7:25 PM
Yeah, that's where I draw the line.  If I'm not in a position to make food, and you won't make it, we're getting take out.
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2017-12-06 7:34 PM
Oh he'll attempt to make something but it won't be overly enjoyable to eat.  He often burns things or uses wrong items.  It also stressed him out.  I said I'd try to get together take out ideas and even coupons.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-12-06 9:05 PM
We've eaten a ton of things from Schwanns this year.  It's been a lifesaver!
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-12-06 6:57 PM
Hire someone to help. There are plenty of reputable places who will send an adult helper to your place.  Don't go to the beach.
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2017-12-06 7:34 PM
Trying to find someone on surgery day at least.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-12-06 11:20 AM
I am wondering what is going on with my lungs right now. I am going to head to Urgent Care and see if I can get the wheezing evaluated. It is markedly worse today, and although I don't feel like I have a fever or anything, I am wondering if this is turning into bronchitis.

No workout for today, obvy.
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2017-12-06 11:44 AM
Hope you don't have a long wait at urgent care.  Did you have a cold or anything preceding this?
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-12-06 11:54 AM
No, nothing. But I was at an agricultural fair barn this weekend that other people have said has a reputation for causing breathing issues. I may have been exposed to some kind of particulate. I felt I was improving since leaving that area, but maybe not? I have also traveled by plane and gone from sea level to 7600' in the last couple of days.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-06 1:23 PM
Could be something in the barn, but the elevation changes may well have caused some of the issues. Planes aren't pressurized to sea level, are they?
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-06 11:52 AM
:sad:
:hug:
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-12-06 6:59 PM
My sinus turned to bronchitis / early pneumonia over Thanksgiving. A zpack and inhaler later I got better but that zpack messed my face up good. and i had the runs for 10 days. But I am cured
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-12-08 7:46 AM
I thought it was only I who had that problem with the runs! In the past I have had the (sudden!:shocker!:) runs for MANY weeks after a zpac! At least it stopped the bronchitis quickly. I've had zpacs other times without that happening.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-12-06 11:53 AM
Hoping Arimathea's home is OK with the fires!  :cry::cry:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-12-06 11:54 AM
The photos and videos are scary. :meh:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-06 11:56 AM
Very. Sending good thoughts to Tessa
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-06 1:25 PM
Thanks, we're OK -- most everything burned in the summer of 2016 so there's not a lot to burn close to us! -- but many are not. Smoky here. I can see the smoke of the Skirball fire in Bel-Air from my window.

And the worst winds are supposed to hit us tomorrow. :sad:
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-12-06 1:31 PM
:sad: I'll keep my fingers crossed. Stay safe!
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-12-06 2:09 PM
:sad:  Glad you are OK!  This has been such a bad year for fires.

I saw that my sister's workplace (Amgen) was evacuated with a small brush fire there.  She seems to be surrounded by fires as well; she lives very close to her work.  I loved the Getty Museum and those grounds!  I hope it is not destroyed.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-12-06 5:33 PM
Glad to hear y'all are probably okay. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2017-12-06 5:42 PM
I saw some news about how quickly it moved.  Good that you're ok.
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-12-06 7:00 PM
Lousy fires ruining your run. :mutmad:
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-12-06 1:30 PM
Me too! Hope she checks in soon. Just saw it on the news. :cry:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-06 12:14 PM
I got back the grade on my final project for my class. 35 out of a possible 30 points.:laugh:
So that brings me to a 275.5 out of 272.  I didn't do the possible "extra credit" so I'm not sure how I got these bonus points. I know it is a undergraduate class, but the grade inflation seems a bit ridiculous.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-06 1:14 PM
:cool:
:laugh: on the grade inflation without extra credit
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-12-06 1:22 PM
Hey - pass some of that my way, I'm going to need it for my current essay. I asked the tutor for help, first time I've done that...and I still don't have a clue where to start :cry: Only now I've told him which essay I want to do and he's provided 'help' I really can't go and do a different one :roll:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-06 7:15 PM
If I was a less honest person I'm sure I could make a small fortune writing other people's essays.  Writing is easy for me, though I know it isn't for most. I hope your time goes easy with it!
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-12-06 7:32 PM
Writing isn’t the problem, finding facts/opinions to write about is on this occasion. I selected a question I was really interested in then found the textbooks didn’t have huge glaring signposts to help me research. I asked the (notoriously difficult) tutor for assistance and it basically boiled down to “you shouldn’t need anything beyond my stupendously amazing textbook because nobody else on the planet is as knowledgeable as me on this subject” :mutmad::roll: Selecting the question I knew he was most invested in was a risk...and now that he knows I want to do it and has provided input I can’t bail and select a different one :cry: I painted myself into a corner. The only book I’ve found with anything clearly related has been nixed as a decent source purely because Mr. Super Tutor didn’t write it. FML
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-06 7:46 PM
wow, if he only wants you to write based on his research, then he should just read his own research. :mutmad:
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-12-06 10:23 PM
It’s crazy, he has quite the reputation among the distance learning students. Bit of a Jekyl & Hyde where he’s really nice in person but has allegedly written some highly inappropriate scathing feedback on essays. Never mind that this is yr 1 undergrad with many people taking their first degree so part of what we’re supposed to be learning is how to research & reference...and he only wants us to use the books we were given! I can find it amusing because I only need to pass which I will, and I have plenty of prior experience with research & correctly building bibliographies, but he’s been really hurtful to some students who are just in middle-age getting over not having had high enough marks at school to do a degree at age 18-22.

His comment on the book I wanted to use as a base was that it couldn’t contain any useful information - it literally answers the question in several sections so clearly he either hasn’t read it or doesn’t like the competition :laugh: I will still be using it although I will try & follow his suggestions since he’ll be marking the essay :roll:
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-12-07 5:55 AM
So what are you studying?
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-12-07 8:58 AM
Agree with reebs, he should just keep reading his own texts/articles and preening in the mirror if he can't even look at other sources... and that makes one wonder, what did he cite in his own work? Surely he has to ground himself in the existing literature, discuss previous work in the area, compare to others studying the issue, etc.

Good to hear that you will be using the other source regardless of his insanity - substantive footnotes might be an option for including more text/commentary that he mightn't be wanting but needs to be said for academic completeness. A commentary on the (inanity, short-of-the-mark, incomplete, whatever it may be) source he prefers, i.e., his work.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-12-06 6:03 PM
You are a genius! It is known! :grin:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-06 7:15 PM
Clearly, this grade is proof!:laugh:
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2017-12-06 6:06 PM
Congrats.  I've wondered about grade inflation myself as classes were much easier when I got my grad degree than my undergrad (even my non-engineering classes were harder to get an A in than the undergrad/grad ones I took a few years ago)
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-12-06 7:16 PM
I haven't taught undergrads in years, but I don't remember there being perfect scores back when I did.  And this one is more than perfect-- it is 101%!!
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-12-06 7:35 PM
And that’s the US where I understand 80+ scores are expected. Top level in the UK is 70% and over 80% is amazing - a perfect score might be theoretically possible in, say, maths, but no way in a humanities subject
Parent - By SRoo Date 2017-12-07 6:40 AM
I get about 1-2 perfect exam scores per year.  But no perfect-plus since I don't award extra credit.  I don't think anyone has ever earned a 100% for an entire course.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-12-06 5:35 PM
Update: diagnosis was "bronchospasm" (aka, 'we agree you are wheezing but can't understand why'). Came away with prescription for prednisone and albuterol. Have taken both meds but am feeling progressively worse, and I now am starting to feel like I am running a fever. If this progresses, I'll go back and see about antibiotics.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-12-06 5:45 PM
:roll:  I had that, as well as the fun diagnosis of pleurisy...  I didn't trust either diagnosis.  Hope you get better!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-12-06 6:02 PM
"Pleurisy" sounds so medieval.

Also "gout".

Like these shouldn't be diagnoses we still hear today. They should go right up there with "dropsy", ya know?
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-12-06 9:13 PM
No kidding!  Both were most likely asthma caused by the allergies they wouldn't test me for at that time.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-12-07 6:01 AM
I know a guy my age who gets gout. He has to be VERY careful about his diet and if he falls off the wagon of eating the right stuff for his body, it flares. I didn't know people still got it until I met him. And he's an athlete (IM) as well which surprised me further.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-12-07 8:07 AM
It's just a form of arthritis so while the accumulation of uric acid crystals may be affected by diet, weight etc. I think it's as genetic as any other form of arthritis
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-12-08 3:14 PM
yep.  There is a hereditary component, believed to be more commonly passed from mother to son (no reference available), though women seem to suffer fewer acute attacks? :wtf:

FYI the "cool new name" is Hyperuricemia, as it is an abundance of uric acid that forms the little crystals of agony.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-08 5:00 PM
Quinsy sore throat.

Phthisis.
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2017-12-06 6:06 PM
Hope it doesn't progress :sad:
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-12-06 7:03 PM
Interesting. In My Limited Experience (IMLE) Urgent Care seems a LOT more willing to write an antibiotic script where as getting one from your PCP is harder than scoring crack at a Baptist Wedding. Probably because they aren't being "measured" like some PCPs are. So go back and ask for the z-pack. At our ages (face it people we are mostly pushing 50 over here, some of us tipping the scale over and averaging out for the not yet 50 young-uns) pneumonia can be a real concern.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-12-06 7:25 PM
Did they do a chest X-ray? To rule out pneumonia. Coughing anything up?
- - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-12-06 7:03 PM
I am tired of Doing.The.Right.Thing.

I think I will go smoke some crack mixed with meth and kick some puppies. :mutmad:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-12-06 9:14 PM
:sad::sad:  Oh, honey!  :hug:
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-12-07 5:55 AM
:sad::hug:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-12-07 6:01 AM
:sad::hug:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2017-12-07 6:42 AM
:hug:  Stay strong.
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-12-07 4:38 PM
:hug:  I'd rather you didn't do anything harmful to yourself. If you must have an outburst, go make raspberry noises at random people.  It's surprisingly therapeutic.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-12-07 7:06 PM
Now I want to do this at work tomorrow! Hello, Dean!  : pbbt:  Hello, annoying student!  : pbbt:  Hello dept chair!  : pbbt:  Hello, Professor Pompous!  : pbbt:  Hello, Campus Police!  : pbbt:  Hello, mental health care professional!  : pbbt:  Hello, unemployment office worker!  : pbbt:
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-12-07 8:02 PM
:laugh::shocker!::sad::cry:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-07 9:00 PM
:grin::cry:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Wondering Wednesday's NRR