Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Wednesday (the worst) 12/6
- - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-06 6:25 AM
What was your worst injury and how long did it keep you from running?

And any thing else you'd like to discuss; ramble on.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-06 6:33 AM
Lisa's college roommate has been training for her first marathon.  Yesterday she texted that she has a stress fracture.  As you can imagine, she feels hopeless. 

If I remember correctly a wonky hip took me away from running for 2 months.  It was a long 2 months of chiropractor and PT.  I was never diagnosed to my satisfaction and it continued to hurt.  But it hurt more to not run.  I wonder if runners are naturally impatient to heal, to get that 'fix'.

I had a great 'bodysculpt' session yesterday; heavy on arms and abs and balance work.  Saved the legs for today but I'm not sure that my run can't wait until tomorrow after Lisa leaves.  I'm just going to let the day play out with no definite plans.  My husband took yesterday off and he and Lisa cut down the perfect Christmas tree, stopped in to surprise my brother and SIL, and managed to end up at Amy's in time for dinner out.  It was late and we were tired by the time we tried to get the tree into the stand.  I don't recommend that kind of 'family time':shocker!::laugh:
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-06 7:04 AM
Your post brings warm fuzzies to my heart.  I see lots of JOY and Love in it!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-06 8:20 AM Edited 2017-12-06 8:28 AM
:hug:

I introduced Lisa to Abuelitas yesterday. :happy:  Though we should have had them after the tree expedition rather than before.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-06 10:07 AM
I hope she liked it!
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-12-06 8:29 AM
I had a hip issue almost 9 years ago. missed about 6 weeks. doc, chiro, MT, PT, MRI, Xray...never a real diagnosis. Gradually started back to running and it didn't hurt any worse than not running.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-06 8:35 AM
Yes, that's it exactly.  Michele sent me a book about mind over matter and chronic pain.  I took parts of it to heart and resumed running. If I stop to think about it, it still hurts.  I have just  come to accept that it is a part of my running.
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-12-06 8:36 AM
She sent me the same book :happy:
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-12-06 9:09 AM
me too.
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-12-06 8:33 AM
Was cutting down the Christmas tree like a scene from Christmas Vacation?
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-06 8:39 AM
right down to the Chicago Bears hat:laugh:
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-12-07 12:53 AM
I love that movie!
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-12-06 9:25 AM
About Lisa's train characters.  I believe trains are a magnet for interesting people.  I've seen all kinds of things, and that is part of "joy" of riding trains, though so many on the train forum refuse to ride in coach because of the "trash".  But probably the most interesting was in sleeper.   I was in my 20s returning from Ft Gordon, GA.  A "cougar" had the room across from me asked if I would help her make up her bed.  Ah we have a porter for that.  "But he won't be here until late".   I said I would after dinner.  I go to the dining car, when I come back to my room, a bottle of wine in my compartment with a note..."Thanks for helping me....see you later".  :shocker!:  Thankfully a porter came by about that time.   I closed my door after that.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-06 10:07 AM
:shocker!:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-06 10:08 AM
At least you got a bottle of wine out of that deal!
Parent - By DottieO Date 2017-12-06 2:37 PM
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-06 7:10 AM
Good morning!

The only "injuries" I have ever had were blisters. 

It's 44 degrees with a 95% chance of rain!  Yesterday I stayed home all day and cleaned house.  Probably do the same today and finish the kitchen.   My friends from MI are coming to visit me tomorrow.  Yesterday they went to Waco and visited Chip and Joanna Gaines' store, Magnolia Market.  I hope the rain lets up by tomorrow so we can walk around our town without umbrellas.

Have a fantastic Hump Day Wednesday!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-06 8:26 AM
I like Fixer Upper but am getting a bit tired of Joanna's design work.  It is all starting to look the same.  Does every house in Texas really need a hole punched in a wall to add French doors?
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-12-06 8:30 AM
My older girls used to watch that show, plus other HGTV shows like it, until I cut the cable in July. Babz is still angry she can't watch HGTV
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-06 10:10 AM Edited 2017-12-06 10:15 AM
Wait you forgot about 1) white kitchen cabinets 2) a island in the kitchen 3) always an issue 4) shiplap and 5) Clint will be called to build something.  Now I do have white kitchen cabinets and an island, but I have had them for a long time.  Way before Fixer Upper was a show.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-06 10:14 AM
I have shiplap in my garage because I'm cool like that.:wink:  I seriously never knew there was a name for it.  I just thought it was cheap construction with a bunch of horizontal boards and the brick stuck right up the outside.
Parent - - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-12-06 4:16 PM
I like shiplap. :cry::laugh:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-06 7:19 PM
Me too!  But her designs are too similar.
Parent - - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-12-06 4:17 PM
I like about half of what she does. Some of it is just too ornate for me, I'm not a fancy person. : pbbt:
That said, I really like some of the things she has at Target now, and I may or may not have purchased a couple items for my new homestead. :happy:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-06 7:20 PM
Girl, I am not fancy at all.  I am practical and simple. Clean lines.
Parent - By DottieO Date 2017-12-06 2:35 PM
Have fun with you’re friends! :hug:
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-12-06 7:23 AM
It's 28F this morning.  Chilly, but as long as I stay moving I don't feel cold while running.  8 miles of course. 

Two injuries come to mind as "worst."  The first was a groin strain after my first track meet as a college junior.  I was off for the remainder of the season.  My coach was able to get me a medical redshirt status so I didn't lose a season.   I ran my last season as a 5th year senior and was a better runner for it. 
Second was what began as plantar fascia, but I continued to run anyway because I was training for the 100th anniversary Boston Marathon.  Compensating on the sore foot led to achilles tendonitis and I couldn't run for two months and did not run Boston that year.  Two months is the most I've taken a break from running since college.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-06 8:24 AM
In February I'd pay good money for a 28 degree day!  (with no wind of course)
Parent - By DottieO Date 2017-12-06 2:34 PM
Wow! Colder in KY than in Maine!
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2017-12-06 7:49 AM
The worst was my calf muscle at the end of JFK training that took me out of the race after 15 km. It was around 10 weeks I think. Even my broken arm (fell on a trail) only kept me out 6-8 weeks and I still was able to run/walk after a month.

Big windy storm blew through here yesterday and last night. My 15 minute commute from campus to the marina took 2 hours last night. There was a car crash on the main bridge so I had to detour bad did every single driver in Maine, or so it seemed. As everyone headed for the other bridges from both directions I was in a gridlocked nightmare. And naturally at the exit I needed to get off it was so backed up it was physically impossible to get over in time to exit. Then people were just stopping in the travel lane which caused another crash I saw in my rear view mirror.

Today we have the grands. The bacon is cooked and tender waffle iron is heating up. We have a tree to cut down. Then I’ll run later.

And yesterday was my last day of classes!

:grin:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-06 8:23 AM
You just keep rolling with the punches Dottie.  Seems even on bad days you have good news to post.  Waffles with the kids sounds delightful.
Parent - By DottieO Date 2017-12-06 8:40 AM
Breakfast was yummy
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2017-12-06 9:10 AM
That's because she is super woman!!! Seriously! No joke. Dottie is amazing!!! :hug:
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-06 10:14 AM
She IS Super Woman!
Parent - By DottieO Date 2017-12-06 2:22 PM
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2017-12-06 2:21 PM
:hug::hug:Big praise coming from you!
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2017-12-06 2:24 PM
From me? Nooooo! You are always positive despite all you've gone through. You are a rock star!!! Me not so much :sad:: pbbt:
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-12-06 8:35 AM
you could have run to the marina faster
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2017-12-06 8:40 AM
I’d have to swim part of the way.
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-12-06 8:44 AM
:cool::cool:
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-12-06 8:25 AM
Ran 10.13 miles today.
St Nicholas Day here. Everyone got gifts in their shoes. Sam drove over to Alex and her husband's house at 5 this morning and put gifts in their shoes and the grandkids  shoes. Alex left shoes on front porch.

In '92 i hurt my knee, had it scoped. ran off and on until 2001 when i got serious about running again. I blame the knee for not running much over 10 years, but i could have rehabbed it better and run more if i wanted to.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-06 8:29 AM
After I started the daily I realized it was St Nicholas Day.  I wish my post would have been about that instead.  But hey, we all like to talk about our injuries right?
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-12-06 8:32 AM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-06 10:11 AM
:hug:St Nicholas Day here. Everyone got gifts in their shoes. Sam drove over to Alex and her husband's house at 5 this morning and put gifts in their shoes and the grandkids  shoes. Alex left shoes on front porch. :hug:
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2017-12-06 2:32 PM
If you put out all the running shoes in your rotation you would make out like a bandit :laugh:
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-12-06 2:35 PM
I know right! I've currently got 9 pairs in my rotation. I should've thought of that.
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2017-12-06 9:01 AM Edited 2017-12-06 9:08 AM
oh did I come back on the right day!! :laugh::laugh::laugh: I'd have to say breast cancer and knee injury have to top that list! Let's see going on a year and a half now...Before that stress fracture!

I finally went to a doctor about my knee. My PC NP said the steroids they give you with chemo make you tendon and ligaments more prone to tears and injury. So happy someone told me that before. She was the most compassionate, nice, understanding, informative health care practitioner I have seen yet!!!!! She sent me to an ortho sports doc. He did an MRI mostly to check for any cancer in the bone. And yay!!! Nothing. He said my bones and joints look good for a runner my age. Thank you? I do have a torn meniscus though. He said I could still run as long as it wasn't changing my stride or too painful. Gave me a shot of cortisone. He said it doesn't help a lot of people. Chris said it didn't help his mom's back. I read online a lot of people don't get relief. But man the next day after the shot NO PAIN. I was so happy, but gave it a week before I started to try and run again. Pulled a baby beginning running plan off RW and today day 3 woohoo.

3 miles run/walk (mostly walk) I can feel my knee but its not painful. Oh feels so good to get out there again. Even walking was too painful.

Have a wonderful day masters!! (and those who might not be yet...)
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-06 10:09 AM
You picked the perfect day!  So good to see you posting Deb.  Great news about your baby beginning running plan.:happy:
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-06 10:12 AM
Good job on your run!  Keep posting even if you don't run.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2017-12-06 2:26 PM
I know I keep saying i should pop in and post! thanks! :happy:
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2017-12-06 2:24 PM
So glad to see you! NPs are great. That’s why I want to be one. :hug:
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2017-12-06 2:28 PM
I'd rather see an NP than Dr anymore. they don't always seem rushed and irritated when you ask questions. And they actually LISTEN and respond and don't just shake their head.
Parent - By DottieO Date 2017-12-06 3:02 PM
That’s because they were nurses first. :wink:
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-12-06 9:20 AM Edited 2017-12-06 9:34 AM
Very stressful day at work yesterday. I couldn't sleep and ended up watching TV until midnight. If it wasn't for a retirement party at work today I would have called in sick. Our top sales guy is retiring after 38 years. He is probably the main reason I've been able to work here for the past 33 years. He got the big accounts with lots of special programming.

Unless something major changes, there will be no running or workout today.

I had a foot injury after a 20k 4th of July race. Thought at first it was a very bad blister. Pain was off the charts. Went to see the doctor a day or two after the race. He took a look at my foot and immediately admitted me to the hospital. Everyone thought it was an infected blister and they pumped me full of anti biotics. They gave me morphine for the pain but I swear it didn't seem to help. There was a lot of concern about the infection getting into the bone and blood. I had to be put under for the procedure to cut into the foot. Podiatrist said he cut into the foot and instead of bursting all over, my foot started recovering immediately. It wasn't an infection. It was compartment syndrome. Podiatrist said it was the first time he saw that in his 25 years. Kept me from running for a couple months. I was wearing Asics shoes. I threw them away and have never worn that brand since.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-12-06 9:40 AM
Cutting into foot...finding compartment syndrome.  No MRI or CTscan?   Morphine pain is tough pain.  WOW.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-06 10:11 AM
I remember this injury.  You are not a great spokesperson for Asics.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-06 10:13 AM
I hope your workday is not as stressful today.
Parent - By DottieO Date 2017-12-06 2:31 PM
Compartment syndrome is a serious limb-threatening condition. I remember when that happened to you.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-12-06 9:38 AM
The cold wave is supposed to arrive between 12-3 today.  Hopefully it last 20 years.  The last one only lasted about 10 years. Scott sold us this refrigerator at his new job selling appliances.  He recommends LG, so did his boss. 

Chiro this afternoon.  Foot beat up followed by cold laser.  That's all illness related not injury stuff.

Injuries...Generally minor. But I've also learned that foot bone is connected to leg bone....connected to head bone.  Sometimes compensating for one injury leads to other issues.   Illness is another story. I will not go into that lengthy story.  I will say that docs have told me that running has made a big difference in coping.  I think many others on this board will agree. 

Tom in DE
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-06 10:12 AM
I hope you and the LG have many happy years together!
Parent - By DottieO Date 2017-12-06 2:28 PM
Molly got all LG appliances in her new house. They are pretty fancy and she’s quite happy with them. Their first LG appliance was a washer/dryer set.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-12-06 10:22 AM
The worst was the right leg meniscus tear. It took way too long to diagnose. however I still was working out (swim, bike and run) just rather limited and had to keep it indoors in case my leg gave out or the pain got too bad. Finally had the surgery in Aug and I was told 6 weeks of no running. I think it was 4 before being allowed to ride. 6 weeks for running. After I had the surgery, the surgeon was shocked I was able to s.b&r because he said most people would have been in debilitating pain and not able to walk. I have a very different threshold for pain than most people. Remember I broke an ankle and ran on that not knowing either. Anyway, the meniscus tear was a longer period of no running even post childbirth both times.

I am currently not running :laugh::cry: I went out to run on Sunday and right after 3 miles I had a OUCH moment and had to walk the most of mile 4, ran a very very slow mile 5. Monday a bruise showed up on my leg where the pain was. So I've been stretching and massaging the area. Hoping to run on Sun as I have talked Amanda into doing a local 5K with me. In the meantime I am swimming and cycling. Today is a bike day.
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-12-06 10:39 AM
what part of the leg is hurting/bruised?
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-12-06 12:34 PM
Right below the fleshy part of the calf.
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2017-12-06 2:29 PM
Hope it resolves or st least is tolerable for the mother/daughter 5 km
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-12-07 5:55 AM
Thanks Dottie. It feels better but it's still there. Now it kind of feels like the way a muscle cramp feels but all the time : pbbt: It's not super painful but it seems almost stalled in healing.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Wednesday (the worst) 12/6