Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Tuesday 12/5
- - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-12-05 7:18 AM
Good morning.

It's only Tuesday.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-05 7:23 AM
Monday is over and we are one day closer to the weekend!  Yea!
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-12-05 7:38 AM
It was raining when I woke up.  I considered postponing my run until this afternoon after school.  It didn't look like it was raining that hard and it was 49F so I figured I would get out there in the rain and if it was too cold then I would run shorter than usual.  It didn't feel cold and once I got used to the rain I didn't care anymore.  I ran 8 miles, but took a different route.  I may do this different route more often.  I was on a rural road with no vehicles.

Kids at school are getting more ornery lately.  It's getting close to Christmas break.  I have to be mean to maintain law and order and consistently animated to keep the kids interested.  My teacher personality is far different from my usual introverted self.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-12-05 10:27 AM
Mean Moose.  Don't mess with Mr Mike after he ran in a cold rain.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-12-05 7:50 AM
Nice race report yesterday Tom.

I was at the office yesterday. I brought my gym stuff so I could stop on the way home, but it was 60° outside so I went for a run in Charleston along the Kanawha River. I probably did 75% of my running there when we lived in Charleston 20 years ago so I was back on familiar ground.  I ran 4 yesterday.

Rainy this morning so I went to the gym and ran 3.25 on the treadmill.  My goal is to run 100 miles this month so I need to average 3.22580645161 miles per day to get there.  I am currently ahead of pace thanks to the 8-miler on the 1st, but I don't want to give up any ground yet so I ran at least 3.22 and kept going to round up to three and a quarter.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-05 9:19 AM
I swear you are an accountant.  Really.

did you find a new running hat?
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-12-05 10:02 AM
I found a Marshall University hat that wasn't too heavy or too tight. Then I got it home and didn't want to wear it for running because it looked too nice to get all sweaty, but I finally wore it on a couple runs (before the temps soared back into the 60s.)  It worked good.  I got a band that covers the ears but it is too tight so I wasted my money on that one.  My thick skull makes hat buying hard.  One size fits all doesn't always work.
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-12-05 8:16 AM
Hit the gym at 5 this morning with Sam. Hour of weightlifting. 6.23 mile run home.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-05 9:29 AM
Lisa is home regaling us with tales of her train ride.  one of my favorite things is morning coffee with one or both of my kids.  Dinner plans with Amy tonight.

I missed my workout yesterday because of the contractor.  On the other hand I have a new door!

The weather is frightful - 40mph wind gusts.  I've hauled the garbage cans in a couple of times already.  Not running weather at all.  Bodysculpt home edition for me today.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-05 9:33 AM
Oh, what a great start to your morning!  And you'll have a good ending also -- dinner with both your girls!

Thank heavens for a new door.  I am still on the search for one.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-12-05 10:32 AM
Oh my train tales.  I imagine it had something to do with Amtrak breaking down or being stuck. In much of the world taking the train is just easy.  Glad she is home.  How long?   Glad you got the contractor yesterday.   We will get your used weather tomorrow.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-05 11:55 AM
No Tom, she loved the train!  Only 2 minutes late over a 6 hour trip.  Her stories are of all the "characters" on the train with her.  I could follow the little train icon on a map yesterday and see exactly where she was and how fast the train was going.  all good fun.   I checked it this morning just because the tab was still open on my computer and her train came to a 4-hour standstill 2 stops AFTER she got off.  Talk about good luck.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-05 9:32 AM
Good morning

And I am praying that this day will be a good one.  I think you recall me mentioning that I am on our HOA Board.  Constant meetings and the woman (HOA president) who asked that I join, has resigned because the other members and I have different opinions on a matter. Oh that makes me so mad!  Anyhow, today will be a better day!

We are having crazy weather and I was to go on a hike/tour about an hour away but with the iffy weather, I canceled.  Well I should have gone, think the rain will come later today. 

We have friends in from MI and hope to catch up with them one more time.  But Thursday afternoon is our only free time.  They have something planned for tomorrow.

Oh almost forgot to post my workout.  Did my video this morning.

See you later
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-12-05 2:02 PM
I think the majority on our HOA want to do away with the HOA because they do nothing and costs us money every year. The management co is atrocious. Everyone keeps asking to do away with it and the board members are all: you can't get rid of it. And while there are some obstacles it COULD be done, they just don't want to do it. I hate the HOA.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-05 2:15 PM
I am actually glad we have a management company.  The laws have changed so much and they keep us aware of documents that need to be filed.  Plus they take care of all of the billing, payment of vendor invoices, resale documents, enforcing covenants, etc.  Plus we have a pool, tennis court, cabana area and the neighborhood is gated so there is a lot to handle.  I am of the opinion that HOAs help maintain the value of your home.  Otherwise we would have boats parked in the driveway, cars jacked up on the driveway and RVs parked either in the backyard or driveways. 

I know there are pros and cons and I respect your opinion.

So what delicious cookies are you baking this year?
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-12-05 3:29 PM Edited 2017-12-05 3:33 PM
They would help maintain the value of our home IF we had all those things you have. We literally have NONE of that. The only thing we have is a 1/20 of a mile sidewalk and common grass that has to be mowed/shoveled. The last time I saw a budget we paid some absurd amount of money ($1k) for the services. Our builder screwed us over and has it in the HOA laws that we share maintenance with a preschool building across the street, however they moved out this year so I am not sure how that will go forward or if we are even responsible now. Those people who violate the HOA have not paid the fees or their fines. It's just stupid. The value of our homes is more affected by the number of foreclosures. We currently have 2 more empty homes now. Seems we have about 2 a year :sad:

ETA: Amanda asked me to make snowballs. So this week I'm going to make an almond type and a chocolate type.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-05 5:21 PM
I hear you.  Our homes sell fairly quickly and the values have consistently increased.  Young families like the neighborhood as there is very little outside traffic.

Your cookies sound delicious!  Lucky kids!
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-12-06 5:51 AM
This year is the first year home sold rather quickly (within 2-3 months). In the past few it's been the better part of a year. The home values dropped several years after they fell for the rest of the nation and they stayed low longer. They are finally back to where they were and possibly a bit more but not much. I'm sure the 2 vacant homes will wreck that though.

Both recipes are from the Food Network website. Almond snowballs and Chocolate snowballs
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-06 7:03 AM
I wish we lived nearby so we could share cookies, hot chocolate and gossip!
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-12-06 10:14 AM
heaven!
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-12-05 3:42 PM
Our condo board is considering paying a company. It has been all volunteer since we came here.

The condos are about 15 years old and some poor construction methods & materials are starting to come to light. That has zapped the maintenance budget and caused the dues to go up the last 2 years. (Old people can get pretty nasty if you don't take care of all their condo issues even without money to do it.)

When we moved in, the fence around our porch was leaning over a little bit and was not looking too good. We never filled out a maintenance request because we know the money is tight. Last week someone asked Cindy's parents to please ask us to submit a maintenance request. I guess the don't like looking at the dirty, rotten, crooked fence. So the in-laws gave us a copy of the maintenance form. We didn't fill it out right away, but yesterday, workers came by and fixed everything.  Our fence looks nice now.  I as at the office, but the fence is straight, the rotten wood is replaced, and the whole thing is freshly painted.

That's what we get for trying to save the condo association money.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-12-05 5:18 PM
Ours was self managed for 21 years, too long to go without a management company. Our dues go up every year but we have to maintain our own roads so we need to build up a cushion for that.  In 2016, $168k was paid for road maintenance -- approximately 3.5 miles.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-12-06 5:47 AM
Holy cow! Your HOA has to maintain the roads :shocker!: That's just woah! I would think that would be a township responsibility!
Our HOA has always had a management co. The first one, the lady would literally drive the neighborhood looking for infractions and write up homeowners without direction from the board. The board is all volunteer and we've had the same board members for years because no one wants that responsibility.
Parent - - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-12-05 10:06 AM
Yesterday I went for a 1.5 hour deep tissue massage and cried like a baby. Now I know where to work when my foot hurts.

Today, I taped up m

y foot and went out for a 2.04 mile walk/run. one minute each. :happy:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-05 10:24 AM
Is your friend Susanne's quest for kona available online anywhere?  I missed it when it aired on tv and haven't had any luck finding it again.

Glad to read you're on the road again.:happy:
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-12-05 1:37 PM
2 0r 230 on Saturday NBC
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-12-05 2:01 PM
You could also try RedBull tv online. Her episode was AWESOME. but then they all were!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-05 3:07 PM
I watched part on redbull once and then it became inaccessible.   Is there a one view limit?
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-12-05 3:30 PM
I don't think so. I think they took it down once they started airing them on NBC.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-07 2:27 PM
I think by magic I just happened upon the Quest for Kona on NBC Sports Network.  I've watched 2 episodes so far and if I have it figured correctly Susanne's episode is at 4:30 eastern time.  Of course, I'm just going to leave the TV on all day and hope I haven't missed her episode.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-12-05 10:40 AM
Short run. Still mild here.   I found a bunch of empty heroin bags down the street.  I called Newark PD.   BTW do not pick up empty bags due to fentynal and absorption thru skin.  

Leaf sucker finally got to my house.  We filled him up and he had to go unload and come back for seconds.  Speaking of seconds, we're still eating turkey!!! I opted for a grilled cheese for dinner last night, but with a bowl of turkey corn chowder.

Tom in DE
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-12-05 11:56 AM
yum.  The turkey chowder, not the heroin.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Tuesday 12/5