Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Tuesday dailies
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-12-05 6:03 AM
5.3 WINDY miles for me this morning.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-12-05 6:08 AM
The wind is crazy lately here too. Like something out of a scarey movie wth the leaves blowing around.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-05 8:20 AM
The leaves are everywhere! Makes me nervous running that something will be under them. : pbbt:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-12-05 8:24 AM
It sounded like a jet during portions of my run. A lot of trash cans and sizable branches blown down. :shocker!:

Yesterday it got up to 63*  Today will be in the low 30s.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-12-05 9:11 AM
I noticed a big drop in temps when I came out of class in my shorts. :shocker!:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-12-05 10:45 AM
:shocker!::shocker!:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-12-05 9:58 AM
I hate the wind.
Parent - - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-12-05 6:33 AM
I did the usual 4.0 miles this morning.  When I started, it was 71 degrees, still and muggy.  After 2.71 miles, the cold front arrived with a bang (actually, more of a whoosh).  By the time I got back to the car, it was 62 degrees, not still and not muggy.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-12-05 8:39 AM
yikes!  71 in the am in December?  and 62 is a cold front in TX in December, huh.  Wow!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-05 8:54 AM
I️t was 84 yesterday in Fort Worth. 48 and blustery this morning :laugh:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-12-05 9:12 AM
I'll trade you cold fronts.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-12-05 9:59 AM
The front came through for us about 9:30 last night.....the wind made it very noticeable.
Parent - - By george [us] Date 2017-12-05 7:16 AM
8.2 hilly, windy, rainy miles with two of my teammates
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-12-05 10:00 AM
At least y'all could keep each other honest in the rain & wind, on the hills.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-05 12:27 PM
:cool:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-12-06 6:25 AM
Great that you can find teammates who'll run 8 with you.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-12-05 1:42 PM
Day off from running, er jogging, today. Will hit the planet of fitness this evening for either weights or a bike to nowhere session.

I think this front you are talking about is getting here tomorrow.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-05 2:17 PM
Enjoy the weights and/or bike :cool:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-12-06 6:24 AM
I prefer the term "easy run".
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-12-05 7:26 PM
I just returned from agility class with the doodle.  So confusing!  I am supposed to signal with one hand, provide treats with the hand closest to the dog (which may or may not be the same hand), somehow keep the leash in the opposite hand (which switches back an forth depending on whether the dog is doing a post turn or a front cross or some such thing) and remember what direction to go.  At one point I was focusing so hard that the instructor told me I should stop frowning because it was supposed to be fun.  And she took my dog, gave her a treat, chirped at her cheerfully, and demonstrated the tippy board.  Scout immediately pranced away wagging her tail and eating snacks and was perfect.  :roll:  Traitor.  All the dog has to do is follow the food, how hard is that? No one offers me treats.  :sad:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-12-06 6:20 AM
Treats for the owners! :mutmad::laugh:

My pet peeve is classes where the instructor acts as if everyone should already know everything and therefore can use the class as a chance to show off there expertise rather than actually teach.:roll:
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-12-06 6:27 AM
Yeah, that would be annoying.  There are three instructors for this class, and they are excellent.  It's just overwhelming at first.  Plus no snacks for me.  : pbbt:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-12-06 6:44 AM
How does your dog feel about it? It sounds like  he's just in it for treats.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-12-06 8:52 AM
She loves it!  Treats, other dogs, treats, interesting new smells, treats...did I mention she is food-motivated? :grin:  Like her owner, now that I think about it. :cry:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2017-12-06 9:56 AM
:laugh:
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-12-05 6:18 AM
I made it to weights class last night. It was a good workout although I didn't go as heavy on the weights as usual. That class doesn't feel so much hard as challenging. It forces me to do ab and core work so that's a plus. It also makes me sleep like a rock. I love that aspect of it. Running at night always has the opposite effect.

Today I think I will do the 3,2,1 with equal recovery repeat workout on the treadmill at lunch or after work.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-12-05 8:40 AM
good job at weights class.  Enjoy the TM workout.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-12-05 10:01 AM
One of the reasons I had to switch from night running was my inability to sleep after a run.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-12-05 10:24 AM
It's funny but I do s different time depending day of the week. I tend to feel energetic after a morning workout but then am wiped out by 2pm and talking gibberish. I do one during the week and then Sat and Sunday when I cam nap to mitigate that issue.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-12-05 12:14 PM
I used to drink a beer after evening runs to mellow me out. That was not good for my waistline!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-05 12:27 PM
Glad you made it to class! Good luck on your run tonight!
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-05 8:20 AM
4.25 windy & cold miles for me ... now off to sweat more in yoga :grin::cool:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-12-05 8:40 AM
sounds like a good day of workouts.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-12-05 9:12 AM
December is making its presence known.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-12-05 10:01 AM
Double workouts!!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-05 12:26 PM
I'm sore from yesterday. All the chaturangas :mischief: are getting to me. This is good!
- - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-12-05 8:39 AM
going to be rainy and warm!  high of 61.  but then we get a big change and we're headed for highs in the high 30s/low 40s for the foreseeable future.  Seasonable but it will feel chilly!  To celebrate the warm weather I shall get out for 6 miles this morning, once I've done a little work.  The rain isn't supposed to start until the PM.  the than that, work work work today.  Lots to get done.  I did finally finish the decorating of the house, inside and out.  Good thing too, since we have a holiday party/housewarming party this weekend.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-12-05 9:13 AM
Enjoy the nice weather while it lasts.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-12-05 10:02 AM
Where do you live?
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-12-05 10:39 AM
Philly burbs.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-12-05 12:34 PM
Huh!  South Jersey Philly burbs here.
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-05 12:25 PM
My husband and son are heading that way this weekend and we're preparing him for the tundra. :blush::hug:
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-12-05 12:31 PM
oh yeah it's going to be cold this weekend!!  What are they going to be doing? Where are they staying?  Philly is really fun to visit during the holidays.
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-05 12:39 PM
I'm not exactly sure but I think near the airport :wtf:
They're going to a 76ers game on Thursday night and the main highlight of their trip is the Army/Navy game on Saturday.

He's debating the Philadelphia Museum of Art on Friday. Not exactly sure... just a little sightseeing, maybe the Liberty Bell? Any suggestions? Ed had also mentioned the Children's Museum there.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-12-05 2:32 PM Edited 2017-12-05 2:39 PM
Museum of Art is always popular, and has a lot of history.

Something different if they have a vehicle... Longwood Garden Christmas display. It's an hour from the airport with good traffic. It gets busy though, and you have to reserve tickets in advance.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-12-05 2:47 PM
Longwood is really nice, and such a memorable experience!  BUT - if you don't want to leave the city, you can do a GREAT holiday lights tour for free.  I recommend the following:

the Comcast center Christmas show  http://www.visitphilly.com/museums-attractions/philadelphia/the-comcast-holiday-spectacular/
the Macy's light show http://www.visitphilly.com/events/philadelphia/holiday-light-show-at-macys-center-city/
Franklin Square http://www.visitphilly.com/events/philadelphia/electrical-spectacle-holiday-light-show-at-franklin-square/.   there is a fun hot chocolate/cookies/cocktails tent with a fire pit where you can hang out before or after
Dilworth Park (by City Hall) http://www.uwishunu.com/2017/11/wintergarden-dilworth-park-returns-five-fun-attractions-beginning-november-10/

These are all within walking distance of one another.  Franklin Square is the furthest - it's close to Independence Hall, which is a one mile walk from City Hall. 

Even if you're not so into Christmas lights, walking around Independence Hall area (not just the liberty bell - the actual Hall itself and some of the other buildings nearby are quite cool - it's all in the same place) then visiting the City Hall area is a fun afternoon.  If they like any type of Asian cuisine, Chinatown (which has Chinese but also Thai, Japanese, Malaysian, noodle bars, etc.) is in between Franklin square and City Hall area.

The Art Museum is lovely, if you like art.  My 7 year old niece would be bored to tears, BUT maybe your child will like it!  They do have good holiday programs.  However, the Please Touch Museum (the children's museum with a super creepy name) is awesome for kids, as is the Franklin Institute.  The Franklin Institute is close to the City Hall area.  Please Touch is in Fairmount Park, so they will need to take a bus or a cab out there.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-05 3:00 PM
Thanks! Good stuff.
I’m pretty sure he’d be like your niece. :laugh: going to send this to him!!
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-12-05 4:07 PM
Reading Terminal Market would be another suggestion. Fun place to wander around and grab some interesting food.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-05 5:00 PM
:grin::happy: Thanks!!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-12-05 5:00 PM
yes, definitely!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-05 3:00 PM
Thanks! :grin:
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-12-05 8:44 AM
It is windy here also.  The temps this morning will be the day's highs.  By my evening run with the group, we will be near freezing, and still the winds will be blowing strong. 

winter brings out the "whiner" in me
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-12-05 9:14 AM
Wind is my biggest challenge especially when it's cold.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-12-05 10:02 AM
Winter brings out the whiner in me as well......and I now live with Texas winters and I still whine!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-12-05 10:47 AM
I whine in winter too. Especially when it's windy.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-05 12:24 PM
Me too!

Actually I complain about the weather a lot. The summers here also bring out the whiner in me. :shocker!::cry:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-12-05 2:33 PM
Ah,,, the group should help you with the voices! :happy:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-12-06 11:13 AM
they do :happy:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-12-05 3:24 PM
sing it! :fellowwhiner:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-12-06 7:35 AM
A member of our group who has become a good friend was only able to walk last night, so I went early, did a 3-mile loop, and then walked another 3 miles with him.  A gal who came to run also walked that loop with us.  The gal and I, dressed to run, were freezing by the end.  We hung around eating pizza for over an hour, but neither she nor I ever really warmed up. 

I only logged the 3 miles I ran
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-12-05 9:27 AM
Another rest day for me. I fell asleep on the couch at like 9 last night, then after I went to bed I slept straight through the night until 6:30am. :shocker!: This is unheard of for me! I guess I needed the sleep. I am still exhausted today, and I think it might have to do with the weather front coming through, I feel a migraine coming on. :cry: My legs were also very tired walking up 2 flights of stairs at work this morning, so I think the race took more out of me than I originally thought since I am only slightly sore still today. I am contemplating a short run or indoor bike ride tomorrow.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-12-05 9:56 AM
I find it interesting that so many people have trouble sleeping, Not that I don't ever have trouble sleeping but most of the time exercise makes a big difference. It's not like you haven't been busy either.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-12-05 10:52 AM
I have chronic insomnia. :roll::meh::cry: I take something at night to help me sleep and then I have Ambien for the particularly challenging nights. The insomnia mostly calms down when I am doing higher volume training. Since not sleeping just pisses me off and doesn't affect my daily activities (I don't fall asleep at work or while driving or anything), my doctor doesn't think it's much of a problem and thinks that I just don't need as much sleep as other people do. I have tried to adopt that line of thinking, but it's not comforting in the middle of the night or at 4am when I should be sleeping. : pbbt:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-12-05 10:03 AM
Has your insomnia been better the past few months?
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-12-05 10:53 AM
It has! :happy: With the exception of the past few weeks which have been crazy, I have actually been sleeping better than I have in quite a long time.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-05 12:24 PM
Sounds like you're still recovering. Glad you're taking it easy. :hug:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-12-05 3:22 PM
hey a huge PR :grin::grin::grin: deserves some rest. Not to mention the crazy last few weeks.  :laugh::hug:
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-12-05 10:12 AM
6 solo miles this morning. When I am not hurt/recovering, I meet at least one gal on Tuesday & Thursday mornings.  Since I am still slow and my mileage is lower, I am only making her suffer with my company on the weekends.:laugh: 

I ran by a golf course about 6:00 am, and of course it was still dark, so I was bewildered when I saw a guy driving a golf cart in the street with what looked like clubs on the back.  I made eye contact and said "HI" as I sped by him....I think he was stealing the golf cart & clubs!  My first thought was to turn around and confront him (I am the confronting kind of person), but then I figured that was probably not a good idea to do when I was alone, in the dark, pre-dawn hours.  He was moving so slow, he really wasn't going to get far on the golf cart, especially if had been left out over night and was almost out of charge.  The cops drive up and down that particular street a lot.....mostly to yell at us runners who are in the street.:roll: Addressing this sort of shenanigans like this is best left to the police.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-12-05 10:48 AM
:wtf: What a bizarre situation!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-12-05 12:18 PM
Of course, when I told blazerman this story, he was concerned someone's clubs were being stolen and perhaps I should have confronted the guy.:meh: Yeah, no. :roll: If someone was dumb enough to leave their clubs out on cart, then they deserve to have them stolen.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-05 12:23 PM
That's nuts. I wonder what he was up to. :shocker!:
Nice run! :cool:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-12-05 12:31 PM
that is really strange!  And yeah, I can't think of any reason why someone would be in a golf cart at 6:00 a.m. if not for nefarious purposes.
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-12-05 1:50 PM
All I can think of is maybe he's one of those guys with a bunch of dwi's trying "alternative" means of transportation. Not too long ago a guy like that was  caught driving his lawn mower down the road.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-12-05 7:00 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-12-05 3:10 PM
I hope ypu get to find out. At least he didn't decide to dispose of witnesses.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-12-05 3:20 PM
weird.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2017-12-05 12:41 PM
I walked a total of 2 miles this morning by doing separate sets of 11.25 laps around the fitness floor at the gym.  Before that I swam 800 meters.  In between the mile walks I did shoulder exercises and 1 set of hip exercises.  I did my 2nd set of hip exercises (I'm supposed to do 2 sets every day) after the 2nd mile walk.  Now I can be a slug for the rest of the day! :laugh: 

It's 64 degrees here now but a front with rain is coming shortly and it's forecast to be 20 degrees colder tomorrow morning.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-12-05 2:48 PM
that sounds like a long morning of exercise!  Well done.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-12-05 3:19 PM
DH just got a running gps watch that acts as a fitness tracker too. so he runs and does his exercises and then likes to sit on the couch the rest of the day. he was outraged when the watch yelled at him to get up.  :laugh:: pbbt:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-12-05 5:49 PM
he was outraged when the watch yelled at him to get up   :laugh:

Our Subaru can detect when the vehicle in front of it has moved, like after the light turns green, and if I don't go quickly enough it reminds me :roll::mutmad:   worse than a backseat driver!
- - By Tim [us] Date 2017-12-05 12:50 PM
Not much wind here but really dark. Dark for nearly my entire 6 miles. I finished it off with a brief walk through the woods and got a nice glimpse of the sunrise.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-06 6:13 AM
:grin::grin:
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-12-05 1:48 PM
A quickish 7 last night and the gym routine.

Would like to get in 7 or 8 tonight but I forgot to bring my rain jacket so it will depend on how hard it's raining when I get out.. Right now it's still warmish and the wind has calmed down from earlier.
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-12-05 7:43 PM
Ended up with 8. Just some light rain to start and it actually didn't seem like it was raining that hard until you saw it in the light of the street lamps or headlights.Some sideways rain. Feet were soaked. Worked out after. The warm bath tonight felt good.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-06 6:13 AM
Burr! Good for you!!:grin:
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-12-05 3:17 PM
first cold run. 32 degrees but clear! yesterday it was super foggy in the morning and i was expecting the same this morning. I really like to run in fog but sometimes freezing fog gets well freezing. :roll:: pbbt: Ran 8.5 miles on a very hilly route. I got up at 4:15 to start by 4:50 so i could get 5 miles of this run in with a friend. it was worth it. :happy: I'll do some strength training this evening. I am looking forward to sleeping in and the rest day tomorrow. :grin:

got any favorite running (or fitness or tri) related podcasts you like? i'm researching for my running group.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-12-05 3:23 PM
Runners Wolrd just killed it off, but you should still be able to download the Human Race podcasts. I really liked them and was disappointed when they stopped doing them.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-06 6:12 AM
:grin::grin: nice run!
- - By nooner [us] Date 2017-12-05 3:19 PM
5 early afternoon miles.

I had a 1 PM meeting and was planning to run before that but the one other guy around today was out until 2 PM so we decided to meet then. It was a little warmer than 70 degrees so no cold front here yet. They expect it to arrive overnight and possibly linger through the day tomorrow. It is bringing some nice cool weather in for the marathon on Saturday, I just hope it clears far enough out to bring in drier air.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-12-05 3:19 PM
which marathon? :grin:
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-12-05 3:25 PM
Kiawah Island which isn't too far from your friends in Folly Beach, SC.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-12-06 7:37 AM
Anyone remember The Dude?  He used to work at Folly Beach.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-06 6:12 AM
Hope you get the drier air!
Good luck this weekend!!
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-12-05 3:58 PM
6 miles with a friend this morning. She was working from home, so we decided to start later, at 8. Then one thing led to another and she didn't show until 8:20, then blah blah blah the run was frustrating for a variety of reasons. On the bright side, I got some extra sleep, and it was unusually warm out when we ran- had to be at least 55 and humid. My friend was running in a tank for a while, on December 5!:shocker!: I wanted to start doubling today with a run tonight, to kick off my marathon training for the spring, but looks like I'll be taxiing my daughter around tonight. I'll try again tomorrow.

I got a look at my friend's new Peloton Bike. Woohoo, that is a sweet pice of equipment! Does anyone use one here?
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-12-05 6:25 PM
sorry for the frustrating run.

a friend of mine got one for her b-day. she loves it!
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-12-06 5:42 AM
A friend of mine just got one and she adores it! Pretty sure she doesn't have a single negative thing to say at all.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-12-06 6:11 AM
I've never seen one but I have a couple friends who have one. Everyone seems to love it!

My husband is having knee issues and I want him to get a bike for the garage just to do something different (other than running) a few days a week but he's stubborn. That said, I don't think the Peloton would be the route we went but something. :blush:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2017-12-06 6:29 AM
Another vote for:  my friend has one and loves it, but no I have no direct experience with Peloton.

I have a spin bike and use StudioSweat classes.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Tuesday dailies