Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / December Book Thread
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-12-04 12:53 PM
The current thread is getting a bit long, so I hope it's okay that I'm starting a new one.

I picked up The Metamorphosis  by Franz Kafka, inspired no doubt by Murakami's Kafka on the Shore.  The paperback contains just over 200 pages, but the text of the story less than 45.  The rest is "Texts and Contexts" and "Criticism."  I'll likely read the supporting texts and contexts, but literary criticism in the past has gone over my head.

The story itself is a good one.  I'm not sure I'm in any hurry to read more Kafka, but we'll see.  By the way, I see no link in this story between this author and Murakami's Kafka.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-12-04 1:14 PM
My son had to read Metamorphosis a month ago for school. When I asked what he thought, he responded....."At least it was short.":laugh:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-12-05 8:37 AM
:laugh::laugh:

It was a good read.  I wonder if all of Kafka's work is short like this.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-12-04 1:41 PM Edited 2017-12-04 1:44 PM
I read that in a collection a while ago (picked it up for the same reason that you did:blush:). I thought it was okay but not great. The story that I really thought was well done was In the Penal Colony.
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-12-05 8:38 AM
I'll look for that one.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-12-05 9:03 AM
It's a fairly uncomfortable read.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-12-04 1:43 PM
Matthew McIntosh's theMystery.Doc.

Mark Z. Danielewski had a picture of it on Instagram and it got me interested. I'm 500 pages in and am still unsure how to describe it. I can say that I am enjoying it so far however.
- By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-12-04 1:19 PM
I am reading The Accident by Chris Pavone.  I liked his first novel, The Expats which was a spy thriller.  This is more thriller/mystery which I am enjoying.
- By jennyO Date 2017-12-08 12:44 PM
Ruth Ware's In a Dark, Dark Wood.  I think this would have worked better as an audiobook for me.  Just seems a little lightweight intellectually.  then again, I was trying to give myself a break.

Audiobook:  SK's Insomnia.  Picking up more of the Dark Tower references than the first time I read it, which was probably 15 years ago (and before I'd read the DT series once, let alone twice).  I forgot how irritating the between-chapters music is! :cry:
- - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2017-12-10 9:24 AM
I just finished The Dark Tower (well, have the epilogue left) but what the hell?!!
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-12-10 12:15 PM
PERFECT ENDING
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2017-12-11 9:22 AM
After finishing it for real now and having had some time to process it I think it was a good ending. Probably could have even done without the Coda

SPOILER BELOW

So, do you believe he now has the horn and that's all he needs to complete the quest? Or is there something else he is missing as well?
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-12-11 10:44 AM
Spoilers below...

The horn allowed a sh*tty movie to be made in 2017.:shocker!:

I think that it's open to speculation whether this time was different. I hope that jennieo chimes in. I'd be interested in her opinion.
Parent - By jennyO Date 2017-12-11 1:50 PM

>The horn allowed a sh*tty movie to be made in 2017

Yes! :cry:  I thought it was their justification for doing away with SO MUCH good stuff.  And putting in a bunch of crap. :meh:
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2017-12-11 2:07 PM
You watched the movie :shocker!:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-12-11 2:18 PM
No, but that's not going to stop me from shooting my mouth off.
Parent - By jennyO Date 2017-12-11 1:59 PM
The horn is supposed to help him make things different the next time around.  I'm not sure how many cycles he maybe went through before and didn't notice the horn in the Tower?? or maybe he didn't get to the Tower on a lot of previous cycles. :wtf:  I think it's open to speculation how having the horn will make any difference.  I'm guessing maybe it will finally allow him to die.  I have this image of him as some lonely doomed knight, compelled to repeat the cycle for eternity.  And that there's something about this endless repetition that is necessary for the Tower and all of existence to continue ... but I may be reading too much in there! :laugh:

Honestly, I don't have all the answers.  Maybe I missed a ton of thing, but I've read the series twice now, and I think King deliberately left a lot of unanswered questions at the end.  (WHY is Roland having to go through this?  How can the cycle stop?  What would happen to him and the universe if he does?  Are his companions different in each cycle, or do Eddie/Susannah/Jake/Oy keep cycling too?)  But I think having all those unanswered questions makes the ending really cool.  Not totally satisfying for the reader, but then we always saw things through the eyes of Roland and his ka-tet, and they're in the dark about all this stuff, too.
- - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2017-12-11 9:28 AM
Reading The Shining very slowly. I'm too tired at night to read much right now so I get through about 5 pages a night. I'll let you know in a year how it is compared to how I remember it.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-12-11 9:30 AM
I loved that book when I read it a thousand years ago. Of course, I then hated the movie since it ended completely different.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-12-11 10:45 AM
I don't get the appeal of the movie, I think that it sucks.
Parent - By jennyO Date 2017-12-11 2:01 PM
I liked the movie well enough, but then I saw it way before I read the book.  It's just very different.
Parent - By jennyO Date 2017-12-11 2:00 PM
That's a great book.  I also really liked Doctor Sleep (the sort-of sequel). :cool:
- By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-12-11 3:56 PM
I finally finished Shogun, a generally entertaining if overlong and dated yarn, and am looking forward to turning to some new book that I haven't selected yet.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / December Book Thread