Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Thought About It Thursday NRR
- - By judyruns Date 2017-11-30 8:23 AM
How is your holiday shopping going? :blush:
Post.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-11-30 8:29 AM
More info about the phone alert I got:
Apparently the Amber Alerts for cats (or pets) that I mentioned yesterday is a service on the internet where you can pay to have people robo called about your lost pet. They use the federal Amber Alerts name I assume without permission. They will probably make what money they can then disappear. :shocker!:
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-30 8:32 AM
:meh:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-30 11:55 AM
:shocker!:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-30 10:09 AM
Holiday shopping is not going well. I am wondering whether and if to get gifts for certain people, and struggling to figure out what to get for T-bone. Gifts mean a LOT to him...but I am more into experiences these days than material stuff, so I am wrestling with the idea of what to get that HE would like that I would also really enjoy giving. Is that getting too wrapped up in my own head? Because whatever I get him should be about HIM.

Okay, yeah...I am getting too wrapped up in my own head and should just think about his interests. :p
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-11-30 10:59 AM
Gift giving has always been a mystery to me. I don't give/receive gifts at this time in the year, but more generally speaking, the concept is just odd. I know somehow most people manage to accomplish it every year, but...  A potential recipient is often better place to buy for him/herself something he/she would actually want than I am, at least in the knowledge of what that item might be. And asking what the person wants seems too lacking in subtlety - one might as well accompany them on a trip to pick it out and simply serve as the money-source. And there is then little of the "I thought of you" that people seem to emphasize in connection with gifts. While it is fine to give or receive something, there is often that tense pressure of then having to find something for the other person or the awkwardness of unwittingly imposing such a feeling on the other person. If gifts are supposed to be symbolic of something, it would seem that there has to be an easier way than this yearly dance, especially given the historical motives/origins of the holiday gifts associated with holidays in many cultures. And often it is more than yearly, as someone who gets a holiday gift often is slated for a birthday one as well. Is a birthday gift the most fitting way to tell someone that I am glad they have made it through another year successfully? I would rather just tell the person that I appreciate them in any appropriate moment regardless of the time of year if it is so, and refrain from doing so if it is not.  Finding a physical object to do so for me is hard for me to understand. (I have similar problems should someone consider giving me a gift for a birthday....the issue runs both ways in my head.)

All this said, this might be because I have little-to-no experience in either giving or receiving gifts, so perhaps others are better suited to think about how to link up what T-bone would like that you would also feel happy giving. Perhaps what you would not feel offended/sulky about giving would be a better standard, as long as it is something that he would really enjoy receiving?
Parent - - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2017-11-30 11:20 AM
Can you look into his Amazon cart or wish list? Something even small that he won't get for himself like (examples only) high end shaving cream and balm, expensive olive oil or cooking utensils, high end socks or clothing for a workout, a dyson dustbuster...stuff they use but they will not spend the $$$ for the really good stuff.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-30 3:56 PM
Good ideas. Just tried looking up his Amazon wish list and discovered there are approximately eleventy-billion people with T-bone's real name. Holy hannah! I will see if he can pull it up for me. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-30 4:01 PM
usually they have city too, or something similar.

Of course I don't think I've updated my wish list in about a decade, so make sure it is current. :wink:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-30 4:23 PM
Good gracious, you married a Jim Smith?
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-30 4:54 PM
Almost as bad, yeah. :laugh::laugh::laugh: Especially given that his nickname is common to both genders, and can be the short form for about a dozen different names.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-01 12:16 AM
Especially when all the different spellings are taken into account.

If it's any help, there are worse names to have. I was an AYSO coach one year and we were putting together the teams when we realized that we could make up a U10 girls team entirely of Caitlins, although there were a number of variant spellings (Kaitlin, Katelin, Catelyn, etc.) We resisted the temptation but it would have been fun to do...
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-11-30 12:26 PM
Would he like tickets?  Like last year I got DH tickets for Cirque du Soliel even though it was for an event the next summer.  We have given concert tickets, etc.  A food cooking experience?  Tickets to the train up Pikes Peak?  Anyway, you wrap up the tickets, so there is something to open.  Wine to go with a meal you will create for him?  Some cool thing to do with smiting??? 

DH just wants to take his family out to dinner at a fancy steak place.  I think they don't really like that any better than a regular meal out.  But DH does.  And we are getting tired of coming up with gifts for people who don't need anything.  And then the opening takes 4 hours, so no one really cares what they get, they just want to be done opening!  But now I think we are getting gifts AND taking people out to dinner.  It's his family, so I just do what he thinks.  My family plays a sensible game to get a single present; it's fun and I think that's what matters!
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-30 3:55 PM
We did Cirque du Soleil for his birthday, and it was wonderful. So I will look for other ideas.

DH's family sounds like...woof. That sounds like a lot.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-30 11:55 AM
Pretty much done with shopping, O requested clothes, legos and AG doll stuff plus wants those LOL dolls:roll: Aso done with her bday and got a bike for that. DH and I are actually doing gifts this year and I bought him membership/part owner into a local brewery which includes a monthly beer growler, he bought me tickets to see Lana Del Ray in concert. O will finish the shopping for ILs and grandparents tomorrow night, her school does a Santa shop night where they sell nice donated items for a few $s and all the money goes to the school. She wants input on gifts so why not support a good cause. I'd rather do this than all the fundraisers through the school trying to sell overpriced wrapping paper.:roll:
Now to just get excited about the holidays after all the crap I dealt with over Thanksgiving and not just the ILs :meh:
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-11-30 3:27 PM
Now to just get excited about the holidays after all the crap I dealt with over Thanksgiving and not just the ILs
yep this. How bad were your IL this year? Mine was...very passive aggressive and I thought she would lose her shit over cranberry sauce.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-30 3:34 PM
Only half as bad as I imagined so that's a perk! Although I wasn't allowed to heat the food I brought because it was time to eat and we couldn't wait. But my mom is now the one being passive aggressive :meh:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-11-30 5:58 PM
:meh: Sympathies to you both. I am right there with you on the passive-aggressive frustration and family hostilities. Sigh.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-12-01 3:25 PM
Oh jeez I'm sorry about that. I was so thankful my Mom and I had an agreement about when something bugged us to just get out with it. Made life SO MUCH easier!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-30 1:11 PM Edited 2017-11-30 1:21 PM
I don't do much shopping, but I've at least pre-selected everything except MCF's gift. He's pretty horrible to buy for, as he doesn't want "stuff" he'll buy it all himself. And we just do the activities we want to do.

My my nieces I've found cool geeky t-shirts, including this one.

I'm at a two day Title IX investigator training. Two days of discussions of non-consensual sexual conduct. :meh: However, somehow I went home and had excellent consensual :evil: with my spouse!:laugh::laugh:

ETA: the meeting has chocolate croissants. :wink:
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-11-30 1:24 PM
Except I count only 7 full figures of pi? There are 8 'tails' but only 7 full letters - what am I missing?
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-30 1:49 PM
If you count the pi that is the left most and right most "tail" you can get 8, of course that way you can get many many more!:wink:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-11-30 2:01 PM
ah...
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-30 2:01 PM
Thanks for the link.

DS, whose current favourite shirt reads "SARCASTIC COMMENT COMING IN 3...2...1...", would love the "THIS IS NOT A DRILL" shirt.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-11-30 3:29 PM
That shirt :laugh:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-30 7:55 PM
Love it! I may need to get DH the DNA genes shirt :laugh:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Thought About It Thursday NRR