Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Step Challenge 2018?
- - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2017-11-29 1:29 PM
Since a bunch of us are injured or not running very consistently, I thought I'd see if there is any interest in participating in a Step Challenge for next year.

Here's how I envision it working.  (feel free to post your great suggestions below if you don't like my vision)

The challenge is to complete at least 10,000 steps a day.
It doesn't matter if those are steps taken on a walk, on a run, or just throughout the course of the day.
If you surpass 10,000 steps in a day, you receive 1 point for the day.
Regardless of how many steps you complete in a day, you only receive 1 point a day.
Since no one is perfect - one day a week (any day you feel ambitious),  you can rack up 20,000+ steps and receive an extra point for that day, but the maximum total number of points you can get in a week remains at 7.
You can be in both the Mileage Challenge and the Step Challenge and double count your steps for both challenges (i.e. you don't have to run 10 miles AND then walk another 6 miles to participate in both)
10,000 steps is roughly 6 miles - depending on stride length.  It's the oft cited number of daily steps to help improve or maintain health.

Post here if you are interested in participating in the Step Challenge for 2018.

The process is:
   Everyone who signs up will randomly be assigned to a team.
   Each week, in the Step Challenge thread, post the number of steps you have take for each day, and if you have surpassed 10,000 steps for any given day, give yourself a point for that day.
   For any single day in that week, if you surpass 20,000 steps, give yourself an extra point, as long as you don't go over 7 points in a week.

e.g.
   Tahoeblue:
       Sunday, 9,999 steps - 0 pt
       Monday, 10,111 steps - 1 pt
       Tuesday, 13,333 steps - 1 pt
       Wednesday, 15,555 steps - 1 pt
       Thursday, 17,777 steps - 1 pt
       Friday, 19,999 steps - 1 pt
       Saturday, 20,001 steps - 2 pts

I'll keep track of total individual and team points, as well as individual and team steps (just for fun)

Reply below if you are interested.  Recruit your friends!
Parent - - By Gunna Date 2017-12-09 3:28 AM
I'm in! Not able to run but very much need to get more exercise and the accountability would be great. I guess that means I need to find thingy for measuring steps? :shocker!:
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2017-12-09 3:33 AM
That would be really helpful for this challenge!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-12-12 1:57 PM
Fitbit or similar device. There are a lot of options out there!
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-12-12 4:05 PM
Oh, I have a couple, both Garmin and Fitbit, just need to find them and the chargers. :wink:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Step Challenge 2018?