Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Too Much Fun Tuesday NRR
- - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-28 9:50 AM
What's cool and fun today?
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-28 9:53 AM
T-bone is away this week so I am occasionally driving his Tesla. It is a super-fun vehicle to drive. :grin::grin:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-28 10:52 AM
Fun!:happy:
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-11-28 11:01 AM
:cool:  Oh, that is fun!
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-28 2:17 PM
It is the only car I have ever driven that is both a performance car AND a truly comfortable "luxury" car. I am not by nature a car geek, but this vehicle could turn me into one. :grin:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-28 11:58 AM
One of MCF's friends has one of those, and he often gets to ride in it to work meetings. He said the "self driving" feature is strange, that it does a better job of changing lanes in traffic than a human does, and he likes that it can parallel park. I'd love a car that could park itself!! (though Seattle is a place that I've had to get used to parallel parking, and I'm reasonably good at it most of the time).
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-28 2:23 PM
The self-driving and parallel parking features are pretty cool. As a driver, I have used both briefly and although I don't fully trust them yet (because old habits...), they definitely work! Re: the auto parking, though, the car has to recognize a parking space in order to maneuver itself into it. There are some parking spots, like the median parking spots in downtown Colorado Springs, that it will not recognize.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-11-28 11:59 AM
:cool:
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-28 10:51 AM
Nothing fun yet, my clinic schedule is full of people with the virus crud that's going around, I don't want to get sick! A couple days of runny nose and cough doesn't mean you need antibiotics. :meh: Done venting...
Fun will be meeting a friend to run later tonight.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-11-28 11:03 AM
:meh:  I hope you don't get sick!

I went to the dentist yesterday, but they turned me back saying I need prophylactic antibiotics beforehand, since I had my knees done this year.  I read the research.  Plus I didn't need it for the colonoscopy...  Anyway, now to wait on that Rx and to reschedule.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-11-28 11:59 AM
Over rx of antibios is frustrating. I hope you stay healthy!
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-11-28 11:11 AM
Not cool or fun...

My (now-former) bike team had a group ride Sunday and one of the best and nicest guys had stopped to take a picture, so he was behind.  And he got hit by a vehicle, who then fled the scene.  :cry::cry::mutmad:  So nobody saw it.  He was in the ICU with 15 broken ribs, broken scapula, a broken wrist, a punctured lung, a concussion, and multiple lacerations.  Yesterday they put in a chest tube.  It's going to be a long hard recovery.  He is one of the "Top Docs" in town and an oncologist.  I am just sick about this.  And wanting some serious karma for the person who just left him by the side of the road to die.  And glad I am no longer on this team, as they do have a history of just leaving people behind - they had typical group ride reports of "started with 30 and ended up with 3".  So, I am wondering how long before anyone noticed he was missing or what happened after the hit and run.  I guess there was one witness, but she didn't get a good ID on the vehicle.  And the whole thing didn't even make the news, which is stunning in itself.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-11-28 11:29 AM
oh my goodness, how awful.  Best wishes for your friend's recovery.  And I cannot believe the driver.  How horrible.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-28 11:31 AM
That is awful:cry: hope he recovers as quickly as possible.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-28 11:46 AM
Not cool at all. And I'm sorry your bike team doesn't stop sometimes to let the stragglers catch up, or have someone sweeping.

Wow on the injuries, and :mutmad::mutmad: on the arsehole who hit him and left him by the side of the road. DH's youngest sister's first husband was killed by someone who left the scene of the accident and never even called it in anonymously.

Best wishes for his recovery.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-11-28 11:57 AM
Yipes! :mutmad: Sending healing thoughts to your fellow bicyclist. That is just stunning and infuriating.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-28 11:59 AM
:cry::cry:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2017-11-28 1:03 PM
Terrible.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-28 2:26 PM
OmG. That is so distressing, on multiple levels. :cry::cry::cry:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-11-28 2:49 PM
:shocker!::sad: Shame on the bike team. That's terrible. I hope they catch the driver and the cyclist has a quick recovery (or quick as can be under the circumstances). With that much wrong, the driver had to have been flying.
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-28 4:39 PM
Academics... anyone have electronic access to the Journal of Classification (December 1985, Vol 2, Issue 1, pp 193-218, Hubert & Arabie) ?

we only have e-access to 1997, 2003-2009, and 2012-2017 :roll:  because...really?!
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-11-28 5:55 PM
Sorry, I can't help this time.

Search of University of Manitoba shows "Canadian Research Knowledge Network SpringerLink Archive" database has that volume, but it's only available online to students at the University, which I am not :sad: I can take out hard copy but not access online resources. And my own university in the UK doesn't have access to that journal at all.

Hopefully one of the other Canadians can help with that database
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-28 10:01 PM
thanks for checking!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-28 6:23 PM
I only have it going back to 98. :meh:
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-28 10:01 PM
bummer, thanks for looking
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-11-28 8:13 PM
Nope.  I read the abstract though.  Riveting.  : pbbt:
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-28 10:02 PM
Oh, but it is ever so exciting!

Bummer, I wanted to reference the "primary source" for a particular measurement, which happens to be this document.  I could, conceivably, just reference it, but it would be nice to actually have the article in question for perusal.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-11-29 7:30 AM
Maybe PM Skigirl - she's not on here as often as she used to be and there's a good chance she has access to that database I could see it's available through
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-29 7:53 AM
thanks
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-11-29 11:40 AM
I think she posted on L&O under the daily there today.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-11-28 6:12 PM
In the cool category..   DS in in India for a fellow PHD student's wedding.  The pictures were amazing and she was a beautiful bride.  Today he went to a monastery.  And they gave him a room!  :shocker!::cool:  Then he was wandering around and help them build an alter, so they gave him snacks.  Later he was going to head out to get dinner, and they gave him food.  Then the young monks were playing with carts after they cleaned the kitchen.   Only DS can go to a monastery and get free room and board!  :laugh::laugh:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-11-29 11:40 AM
:laugh::hug:
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-28 11:48 AM
I am a bit annoyed with whoever thought up "Giving Tuesday" as a thing. I get it. Many good causes are looking for donations. I would like to support many of them. But hearing from every.single.organization that has my email address in their database, especially the ones who have my email because I did one of their sponsored events, is annoying. (Yes, LA Marathon, I'm looking at you.) And "unsubscribe" seems to do nothing except validate to them that this address still works and therefore email volume should be increased.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-11-28 11:58 AM
I've been deleting more of those messages than I could have thought possible. I am happy to support organisations of my choice with donations, but at the time and in the amount/manner of my choosing. I understand that some have matching programmes for particular dates, but beyond that, the more of a flood of pleas I get from an organisation, the less likely I am to support them out of sheer annoyance.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-11-28 12:40 PM
agreed.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-11-28 6:07 PM
Ugh!  That does not Make a person feel charitable.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Too Much Fun Tuesday NRR