Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Satisfied on Sunday RR/NRR
- - By moonglow9 Date 2017-11-26 7:30 AM
What are you satisfied with (or dissatisfied with) today?
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-11-26 7:31 AM
RR goes here
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-11-26 9:58 AM
I finally did some yoga today. Felled hard by bronchitis and flying back and forth to PA over Thx. I haven't run in a week and probably won't until I come back from my work trip. Flying to Dallas tonight for 2 days but oh fun and joy I have completely lost my voice. So I'm glad I have others joining me on this client visit trip because I'm basically playing Teller to their Penn. Its been gone for 3 days and not showing a lot of signs of wanting to come back. On the other hand DH is glad to have a silent wife I suppose....
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-26 11:47 AM
I'm embarrassed to say not as satisfied as I'd like. I got in 8 which was my goal but the turn out for the group was light and I sometimes take that a little too personally. I've learned that sometimes when  I think NO ONE willshow up, we have a good sized group. Other times, I'm thinking it will be a great turnout but it's a small group. It's best to just plan like I always do, show up and welcome people with enthusiasm since beyond that it's not my responsibility. Of course, I always try to do a decent run myself but  save the longer runs for Saturday.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-26 2:10 PM
Satisfied with an 8 sec 5K PR (21:03) this morning. My first indoor race, it was actually kind of fun. 25 laps, they had up to marathon distance, not sure I'd even want to run 211 laps :shocker!: 1st place finish and O was 3rd overall!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-26 2:24 PM
Congratulations on all that! I know you had been hoping to find the right race and 5K PR.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-11-26 4:13 PM
Awesome!!  :cool:  And even more awesome to NOT do 211 laps!  :shocker!:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-26 5:05 PM
4 miles early this morning. Glad I did it because I would not want to do a run now, it's hot. Still.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-26 6:08 PM
I'm glad you did it too. It's done!
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-11-26 7:31 AM
NRR goes here
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-11-26 7:35 AM
Help from forum cat owners/friends please?
I'd like to buy a 'welcome' present for a neighbour's 2 new kittens. These neighbours have also been invaluable in terms of maintaining my house over the past 6 months, and I'd like to thank them for that as well. I'm planning to take them to lunch/dinner and have already written thank you notes, but also thought getting something special for their new kittens would be nice.
So what would be appropriate for kittens about 2-3 months of age? What can they play with now, and what would they like over the next few months?
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-11-26 9:56 AM
2 more kittens? :laugh:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2017-11-26 8:07 PM
You have a devious streak.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-26 11:46 AM
Id get a couple of catnip mice and one of those feather on a fishing line type toys. Make sure the mice don't have any choke able pieces on them like button eyes. Kittens :hug:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-26 2:11 PM
Agree with catnip toys, maybe some kitten treats.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-26 5:03 PM
Our kittens have been thrilled with mylar crinkle balls. These work for both kittens and cats.

If you want to spend a bit more, every cat we have had loves the drinking fountain. https://www.petfountain.com/ We have the platinum one because it has a big water reservoir in the back and Iota in particular drinks a lot of water (big cat) and our dry air means quite a bit of evaporation. DD says get the fountain from Amazon not Petsmart because it's much cheaper. An extra pack of filters would be nice also.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-11-26 5:45 PM
The fountain is a great idea! When I would cat sit across the street, the cat loved for me to turn on the cold water faucet to a nice drip for her to drink (even though she was always given fresh water in her bowl).
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-26 9:46 PM
Most cats like running water. Gwen in particular loves to drink from a tap.

The fountain is a good way to give them filtered running water without the waste of an open faucet.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-11-26 5:34 PM
It depends on the cat, but cats in general and kittens in particular are likely to play with all kinds of things.  Cardboard boxes are a perennial favorite, but paper and yarn are also good.  I bet they'd love some bugs to chase, but the neighbors might not be too appreciative if you gave them live roaches. :laugh:  So as far as actual legit gifts, a lot of cats really like chasing laser pointers (like this).  My cat also really likes her scratcher box (like this) but hasn't been a huge fan of scratching posts.  Or you could always go with toys like little play mice or some sort of treats.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-11-26 5:41 PM
My cat loved aluminum foil crushed into a ball, onions fresh from the store and my old used violin strings.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-26 9:47 PM
That's another possibility, a cat tree.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-11-26 4:36 PM
So the awesome part is that the views were absolutely gorgeous, and you gotta enjoy a 75 degree day in November.  I could see to Wyoming, I think.  Snow covered peaks, could even see the flat irons in Boulder, and the entire Front range, including all the mountains North of Longs Peak, the Never Summer Range (I think).  Spurred on by a forecast of 6 mph winds, I wanted to do my favorite route.  I was going to drive 7 miles to make it shorter, but DH said to just lightly pedal the first part.  So I went on the bike path for an hour, then caught my route, saving some hills.  And...it was a headwind of 18mph with gusts to 25.  :mutmad:  And even on this flat part, my legs were tired and somewhat crampy and the knees complained.  Then the hills and I was considering turning around.  But then I turned and the views won out and I was happy for a while...  and then I got a fast downhill on a perfectly smooth road.  Then the uphill and the tailwind didn't help me much, because of course the wind decided to settle down.  Then my back started cramping and I started to see spots...which was very disconcerting on a fast descent.  Finally to the home stretch with tail wind and mostly downhills and my wheel made this horrible noise!  I thought I broke a spoke, so I stopped and couldn't figure out what was wrong.  I continued on and a couple miles later it happened again!  The whole thing was freaky, like my wheel was wobbly or something.  I was exceedingly grumpy about the ride anyways at this point, so I called DH and he rescued me.  42 miles and a little over 3 hours.  A ton of climbing, I think 2500 feet of it.  It's clear that I am not in shape for this ride, but at least I got it out of my system.  It feels like I did 100...  I'm just going to lay in a heap the rest of the day...and vow to not do this route until next Spring, when I am strong enough to handle it.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-26 5:05 PM
You tried your best and you know it's a target to aim for next spring. Good for you!
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-11-26 5:35 PM
Hey, even if it was a crappy ride, I'm wicked jealous of your views!
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-11-26 8:05 PM
You never just take an easy spin, do you?  :hug:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-11-27 10:43 AM
Yes, but I've had too many of those this year.  :laugh:
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-11-27 7:26 AM
Did you check over the bike when you got home? Strange sounds when riding freak me way the f out. I've also had that seeing spots happen too! Glad you made it home safe :hug:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-11-27 9:25 AM
Yes, but I don't see anything wrong.  I think it's a problem with the hub.  It was like the freewheel clicking, but very loud and a lot faster than usual.  Plus the wheel felt wobbly at that time; like I hadn't secured the quick release or something; but maybe not as bad as a totally lose one.  The wheels are pretty old and were overhauled when I got my new bike, so maybe 2000 miles ago...
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-11-26 6:10 PM
I'm feeling frustrated, I guess.  I've been feeling bloody awful all day and not sure why I feel worse than usual.  And my eyes have been bothering me -- it almost feels like I have sand in them or something -- and again, not sure why.

I spent a long time going over stuff with A about the bathroom remodel and I feel like we only made a tiny bit of headway.  It's a bathroom for her so I want her input, but it's almost impossible for her to make decisions.  She watched an awful lot of HGTV and has this vague idea that you can do a lot of really pretty things.  Which you can, but she has no concept of the fact that the things she sees on TV cost an awful lot more than she thinks they do.  It's one of those things where a tile that looks good is $2.50/sf and an accent tile is <$10sf, but the stuff that you really want is going to be $20/sf with an accent approaching $100/sf.  Yes, hand-painted Moroccan tiles are nice, but it's unreasonable to even be looking at that as an option, but she ends up spending a lot of time looking at pretty, unaffordable tile and not making decisions about what will actually go in the bathroom.  And it's so hard because so much of the time she can barely stay awake and she spends the time when she is awake looking at fricking Moroccan tile so she wants to have input on light fixtures and everything else but it would take weeks for her to decide on the toilet and years for her to make decisions about all of the minutia from faucets to grab bars.  And I'm venting here because I know it's infinitely more frustrating for her to be disabled -- both from disease/disorder and treatment -- to the point that she spends a lot of her life unable to really stay awake, much less function.  And it's just fucking stupid that not being able to pick out tile is a medical problem that can't be fixed.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-11-26 7:31 PM
:meh:  So frustrating!  Can you get a designer involved?  Or only show her items in budget?
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-11-27 9:33 AM
I'm trying to only show her reasonable options, but she has vague ideas about what she wants and knows they must be for sale somewhere on the internet...
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-11-26 8:04 PM
Can you limit the amount of input you seek?  Get input on colors and (sigh) tile, but not light fixtures and faucets?  Or limit her choices?  Give her two options for faucets and three for toilets.

But you know this already, so all I can offer is an oh honey.  Good luck.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-11-27 9:41 AM
At some point I'm just going to have to do that.  When it comes to things like grab bars, I know she wants satin nickel and wants things that look nice (not the cheap nursing home look), so that really limits the options so I'm going to have to just pick stuff that works.

Thanks. :hug:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-26 9:54 PM
I'm sorry.

I would agree that showing her a few options to choose from and having her pick the one she likes best is better than having her look at impractical stuff. Also, what needs to go in first? I'm guessing the toilet will be one of the first things in? Focus on that first.
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-27 9:10 AM
Decision fatigue is real. :meh:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-11-27 9:36 AM
Yes it is, and A is one of those people who has opinions about everything but can't actually make a decision on much of anything.  She will spend weeks looking at stick vacuums or backpacks or whatever else, even though there's a good chance she will end up buying something she saw in the first hour or two of searching.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-27 10:46 AM
I think I married A!:laugh:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-11-27 12:49 PM
This is my MIL. I refuse to buy ANYTHING for her anymore that is not straightforward because I can guarantee it won't be what she "wants" because it's something she has seen in her own head or it's something that is 30 yrs old.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-27 10:00 AM
It certainly is.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-11-27 7:29 AM
I agree with the others. Since you know she likes Moroccan tiles, can you look in the affordable tile range to things similar to the style and then narrow it down to 3 and show her that? Do the same for fixtures etc. Is this at her house or your parents?
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-11-27 9:38 AM
It's my parents' house, which complicates things a bit because they are the ones paying for it.  They want A to be able to pick things for the bathroom, but they also have opinions (and don't want to buy $100/sf tile : pbbt:).
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-11-27 12:52 PM
So since it's going in your parents house and you know what A's likes are, why don't you give your parents the option and then say they have it narrowed down to A & B and have A pick from those. Since your parents are paying for it, A has to go with what options are presented to her yes?
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-27 10:47 AM
This is EXACTLY what I did for MCF for our bathroom remodel.  I gave him three paint choices, three flooring choices, etc.  Made him pick from those, told him they were the only options I wanted. :roll:
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-27 9:15 AM
Is the extended-warm season aggravating your allergies, perhaps?  Also, caregiver stress can do nasty things to your body - take time to keep yourself healthy.

Vent away - getting people to choose specific things can be such a trial, especially when their vision is far from the constraints that exist, and confounding factors of fatigue and illness.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Satisfied on Sunday RR/NRR