Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Saturday RR/NRR
- - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-25 2:55 PM Edited 2017-11-25 3:05 PM
RR/NRR: it all goes together. :happy:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-25 3:04 PM
RR:

So I have run or walked some 15 miles this week. Doesn't sound like a huge big honkin' deal, but my legs are feeling it.

T-bone and I are off to the gym. I am going to lift upper-body weights and do actual specific leg PT instead of just running or walking or doing yoga. Pray for me. : pbbt:

NRR:

I also raked pine needles this morning and washed windows. My huge "win" for the morning was figuring out how to remove the pull-tab screens from the window frames so I would actually wash the glass behind the screens. If I can laugh just a little at the engineer in the household, T-bone has lived in this house now for five years and has been stymied by the screens the whole time. I googled "how to remove pull tabs screens" and found about five instructional videos right away. Then I was all "You must bow down before my cleverness! Because *I* can look up instructions! All must kneel before me...!" : pbbt::laugh:

(Because T-bone is a rocket scientist, I was also debating whether to say "Hey, it's not rocket science..." . Because that is never going to get old. :laugh::laugh::laugh: And fortunately he has the lovely quality of being able to laugh at himself. :hug:)
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-25 5:26 PM
Good return to running and good cross training.

Hee on the screens. Hate to say it, but you can also lift the glass windows right out from behind the screens and get to the glass that way. I tend to do that because that way I can lay them flat and use Lime-A-Way on  the hard water spots.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-11-25 4:56 PM
Exercise-related: private Pilates class today - nothing major, it’s a matter of patience now but we’re learning more about where my nerve’s limits are and gradually pushing them

NRR: my naturopath appt last night was not a winner. I kept my Pilates teacher in stitches with the guy’s kookiness - not a trait I want in a medical advisor. He’s was 30% sensible suggestions (most of which I knew but don’t comply with), 20% not listening to the fact that I already do what he was saying (engineers don’t need a lesson on surface area), and 50% kooky/conspiracy theory bullshit. As in, no I don’t think all my physical issues stem from having an MMR shot in 2008 :meh: Nor do I think Canada is allowing GMO foods in unlabelled because they don’t care if native-born people die due to the number of immigrants to replace them :wtf: Although in fairness, the fact that (a) GMO foods are here, and (b) they aren’t labelled as such was quite a revelation. GMO foods aren’t allowed to be imported into the UK (yet) so it wasn’t something I’d thought about.

I have an appointment in 10 days with another naturopath and my Pilates teacher is going to text me another recommendation, so I will keep looking for the right person to help
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-25 5:27 PM
Do naturopaths have to do any type of formal training or can one just call oneself a naturopath?
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-11-25 7:05 PM
Nice, the kind of naturopath who gives reasonable naturopaths a bad name. :roll:  We don't require GMO labeling in the US because of Freedom! :grin::roll:  I think one state (Vermont?) passed a law requiring labeling but I'm not sure what became of that.  Some companies will label as being non-GMO (and I think products labeled as organic are required to be non-GMO).  Some large companies actually do label their products as being produced with genetic engineering, but then very few people actually read labels. :roll:
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-11-25 8:29 PM
Yep, apparently here I need to look for a non-GMO certification, so clearly my grocery bill is going up :mutmad:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-25 9:19 PM
A great many foods are GMO without being weirdly engineered. Most foodstuffs have been bred for yield which technically makes them GMO.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-11-25 9:25 PM
I think there are only about 8 crops in the US that have GMO varieties.  There has never been any health issues associated with consuming GMOs.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-25 9:27 PM
I'm not anti-GMO though some of my coworkers are rather adamant about the issue.
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-11-26 10:35 AM
I admit I’ve done very little research so my position is mostly emotional : pbbt: but the fact that my homeland prohibits GMO crops makes me wary (accepting that may be a financial rather than health decision)
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-26 11:25 AM
The varying definitions of "GMO" also complicate this.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-11-25 7:45 PM
I think you are doing well if you get a naturopath with only 50% kookiness.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-11-25 8:31 PM
I had a good one in Sedona but I’m not there as much any more (plus my insurance covers me here, not in the US). I was hoping the fact that I’m not expecting them to cure cancer, just help with an autoimmune issue and nerve issues, would lessen the kookiness. But apparently not with this guy. And I was prepared for some kookiness...but anti-vax and comments on immigrants’ previous health that had an underlying shadow of racism is a step too far.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-25 9:28 PM
Anti-vax would do it for me. I don't want to see anyone die or suffer horribly because of a disease that could be prevented by a vaccination.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-11-25 7:14 PM
I did run this morning.  16.75 miles kinda slow, but felt pretty good. 

This afternoon we went and got a Christmas tree because A really wanted to go and get a tree while she's out here, even though Christmas is a full month away.  If I was going to do anything, I'd probably do a smallish fake tree a week or two in advance, but tradition requires a (formerly) live tree, preferably hand-cut.  Said tree requires looking at every tree in the field, even though A is allergic to pines so we have to get a cypress.  Then Mom and A have to decide what tree they want while Dad and I are the spoilsports who point out that a 15' tall tree will not fit upright in a house with 8' ceilings.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-25 9:20 PM
Yes, I think there could be a problem if you have a 15' tree and the only spot in the house has 8' ceilings. Sawing a hole in the floor is probably not an option.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-11-25 9:55 PM
Perhaps if we decided to do away with the master bath. : pbbt:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-26 4:57 PM
Of course you would do away with a master bathroom in favour of a 2 storey spot for a Christmas tree. Tradition (and trees) must be upheld!
- By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-25 5:22 PM
Hot sunny hilly 15 today. I should've got up earlier and started in the dark. But it was a good run, around the loop that was closed for a while because the hillside slid across the road. Not too many people on this road and I picked up two full bags of recyclables, then as I was coming down the hill from the crest of the 4 mile very rural stretch a guy getting in his trash cans thanked me for picking up along the road and asked if I wanted to put them in his recycling bin. Yes please, otherwise I would have left them a mile or so further on at the turnaround for the bus line out Sierra Highway. Anyone catching the bus there probably needs the $4 or so in deposit refunds more than I do. So left the bags, with mutual thanks (he was pleased that I was picking up litter, I was pleased they were going to their proper place and I didn't have to carry the bags any further) and then had another bag of recyclables by the time I got home.

Also saw something on the roadside and thought "oh, book, maybe that would go well in the LFL" then I investigated more closely and I did NOT pick it up. I didn't know Cosmo had published its own version of the Kama Sutra, and I would be interested to know the story behind why the book got hurled out of a car window on an isolated stretch of road. If someone wants to work their way through all of the positions illustrated, I would suggest that there are more suitable venues than the back seat of a car...

And did some changing out of the books in the LFL. I wish more people would stop by! Maybe if we put a sign up on the mailbox pointing to it, more people would see it.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Saturday RR/NRR