Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / It's Black Friday
- - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-11-24 7:37 AM
How was Turkey Day?   Are you training, shopping or ?????  Post away.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-11-24 7:41 AM
We had an enjoyable Thanksgiving Day.  The food and company were outstanding.  And the weather was perfect, so we were able to spend the afternoon outside.

No Black Friday shopping for me; haven't done that since my early 20's and that was a LONG time ago!

Today we are driving up to Kerrville to look at homes and then have lunch with friends.  There is a subdivision that we like there but don't know if we would actually make the move.

How was your day?
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-24 8:34 AM
I love to look at houses.  There has only been one time that I liked one more than my own and that's a good thing.  One by the park went on the market earlier this week; 3 bedroom, 2 bath, sunporch, all on one level.  Needs new windows though.  Looked it up online and was blown away by the price; not in a good way.  Guess I'll stay put.  I hope you and Jerry have fun on today's adventure!
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-11-24 9:17 AM
I hear you on the house prices.  These are pretty steep also and if it everything I wanted, then I could maybe accept it.  Do you think that because we are accountants that we are so cost conscious?
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-24 10:45 AM
absolutely.  And I'd make a spreadsheet with my pros and cons (debits and credits).  And then I'd probably have to present it at a board meeting:roll::laugh:
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-11-24 7:42 AM
No training, no shopping here.   Headed to Great Thanksgiving Leftover Feast.  No idea on numbers of people.  Last year we fed about 50. There will likely be leftover leftovers.  Our kitchen at church does not have stove or oven so it can be challenging reheating.  We use crockpots and skillet warmers and microwaves.    Good weather today.

Make it a great day.

Tom in DE
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-11-24 7:54 AM
Wish I knew of something like your leftover Friday around here. It sounds like a good way to spend the day after Thanksgiving.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-11-24 8:06 AM
I ran a pleasant 5.1 miles this morning. Pretty cold out there but headed to 60° today. It'll be a nice day to sit on the porch and do some reading. I'm reading Jon Meacham's biography of Thomas Jefferson. After reading the biography of Hamilton I had a pretty low opinion of Jefferson so I thought I'd try to rehabilitate my view of him a little. So far, it isn't working.

I may head out to shop for myself a little today. I have some extra cash where I got reimbursed for my new glasses. And I need to look into some new gear for running in child weather. My hands are getting way colder this year. If like to look at hats too. Mine are very thin our very thick
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-24 8:31 AM
I received an Under Armour hat for Christmas last year.  It is mid weight and labeled "coldgear infared".  It gives the impression of silver circuitry on the inside.  I'm sure it is just silver thread and I am only imagining it radiates heat.  Anyway, I rate it 5 stars.  I've run in temps down to zero with it.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-24 8:41 AM
Thanksgiving dinner was another winner.  I managed to get everything to the table at the same time at the proper temperature.  The turkey was a bear to carve though.  I score one star for presentation.:sad:

I am getting the knack of making the right amount of food.  The only leftovers are pie and we each had a piece for breakfast.  I plan to get the outside Christmas decorations out of the attic.  Probably won't put them up yet but it's a start.  And we'll rake up the yard again; temps heading towards 60.:happy:

And today's workout might be a Christmas Walk in Amy's new town.  Depends upon if she's ready to head back or is going to stay here the rest of the weekend.  Horse-drawn wagon rides and hot cocoa on the town square sounds pretty enticing though.  I ran the last 2 days; I can slack today.

Thank you for starting the daily Tom, enjoy your leftover feast.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-11-24 9:19 AM
My husband carved our turkey and this morning he asked if he did a good job on it.   He has more patience than me and he placed the carved turkey very nicely on the platter.

We had too many leftovers.  Everyone makes so much and they eat very little.
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-11-24 10:32 AM
I carved up 3 turkeys yesterday and it went well. watched a youtube video beforehand on how to carve one up and it was helpful
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-24 10:48 AM
This thing had joints made of steel. attempts with the electric knife being unsuccessful: I boiled the carcass for stock for 40 minutes and still couldn't break the legs and wings off the dang thing.    I think it had been fed glucosamine and chondroitin.:roll:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-11-24 11:38 AM
I just watched a video and I think my husband followed most of it except for a thing things; like removing the wishbone and placing your turkey on a towel to keep it from moving as you are carving it.
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-11-24 11:21 AM
Melissa cooked the turkey in the crockpot this year.  The meat just fell of the bone.  It didn't look as nice as carved turkey, but it was just us and Makayla's boyfriend and it tasted great.  Hot cocoa with a walk in the public square sounds relaxing.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-11-24 11:39 AM
We used a roaster this year and boy was it tender.   Plus it freed the oven for other things.
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-11-24 10:34 AM
"working" today. very quiet.
Running a Dawn 10k at lunch time.
Thanksgiving went well. 3 turkeys, 30lbs of mashed potatoes. lots of sides and desserts. Food turned out well.
Many leftovers. I made mashed potato pancakes for breakfast.
No shopping for me. A few of the older kids went to Target at 10am this morning.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / It's Black Friday