Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Testing the waters Tuesday (Dailies)
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-21 7:09 AM
I'm ready for some vacation.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-11-21 7:12 AM
Hopefully your holidays will be uncomplicated and give you time to enjoy a rest.:hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-21 7:12 AM
I hope so too!
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-21 7:12 AM
Off tomorrow so the breakneck home stretch is today.  I don't know what's on the agenda but I will plan on a TM run during lunch or right after work.

I never made it to the gym last night because I left my purse in Starbucks earlier that afternoon. Purse was returned with all contents intact. I also set up alerts on some of my accounts just in case.  Any way I did manage a 3.15 mile run on the treadmill after all that that trauma.  Thankful I got my purse back.

I will be sticking close to home since I feel my crazy work schedule is probably the reason I have been a little forgetful. That means more treadmill, but I am armed with some creative workouts to get me by.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-11-21 7:25 AM
Great news about the intact return of your purse! Creative workouts sound like a good thing. When we have a lot going on it is easy to be forgetful. Ever since the concussion, I was having to go back to my door to check make sure I locked it. Now I say to myself, "I've locked it and tried it" as I do it and I never forget if I do that. It was one of those things I learned when I read about using another sense to enhance recall. I also take the few extra seconds to place items where they belong.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-11-21 7:31 AM
saying stuff out loud is a great way to remember for me. I probably sound like crazy lady but if it works....
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-21 8:32 AM
Not afraid of being thought crazy. It's too late.:laugh:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-11-21 4:52 PM
+1 Me too.
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-11-21 9:36 AM
Thank goodness your purse was there!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-21 9:39 AM
Yes.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-21 11:06 AM
Did the starbucks people have the purse? or was it still on the table? I'm always impressed when people are so honest.  I had a wallet returned once with everything inside, even the cash.  I could see not taking somone's cards because it would feel like fraud to use them, but I could also see helping ones self to the cash before returning the wallet. (not that I would, just that I don't think it would be uncommon).
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-21 11:11 AM
Starbucks had it and everything including the cash was there. I probably should have asked more questions so I could properly thank the person who found it, but I was a hot mess.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-11-21 7:15 AM
Monday I started out with a 45 minute dvd cardio workout. The hike turned out to be a very cold one with a pretty high wind. Being in woods helped a lot. It was a steep climber 1.6 miler but at least we stayed warm because of it.
Today I’m planning some quick shopping errands, then a run down in the park.
Safe and happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-21 7:22 AM
I'm glad it wasn't too cold especially with the wind.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-11-21 9:35 AM
Enjoy your run!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-21 11:04 AM
Was it cold on the way down?
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-11-21 4:54 PM
Luckily the whole hike was in a woods and there was no wind. It was cold though. I wore what I wear for every winter run. :laugh:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-11-21 7:54 AM
I could use a vacation, but it's not happening today.  I have to go grocery shopping [spccer6, I'm going to the Dekalb Farmer's Market -- wish me luck] then have to go and collect A and all of her stuff.

I ran 5.4 this morning.  Decent run, but not terribly inspired. : pbbt:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-21 8:33 AM
At least it's out of the way.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-11-21 9:34 AM
I hope shopping isn't too bad.
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-11-21 10:27 AM
Oh gawd, are you still alive?  I haven't been to YDFM in years because I can't do the crowd anymore.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-11-21 3:49 PM
Haven't been around Thanksgiving or haven't been in general?  The Thanksgiving crowd can be a bit daunting, but normally it isn't too bad during the week.  I've been in there once or twice just after they open in the morning and it's almost freakily empty.  Definitely not the case today, though. :laugh:  I've seen it worse -- it'll probably be more crowded tomorrow -- and I didn't need too much stuff so it wasn't terrible.  I felt like I ought to be making collard greens, though, because they had a seriously impressive number of collards.
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-11-22 1:20 PM
Haven't been in general which is stupid since it's not far from my house.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-21 11:03 AM
A's stuff? Is that from the hospital, or is that because she's coming home for the holiday?
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-11-21 3:52 PM
Just coming home for the holiday.  She lives about an hour away (so Mom or I end up going down there an awful lot to help her with stuff or to take her to appointments) but loading up all her stuff is difficult for her to do and she does not travel light.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-11-21 12:20 PM
lots going on today.  Good job getting out there first.
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-11-21 9:34 AM
Relaxing at Starbucks in between cases. I have a few breaks today. I had to stop running for a few days because my back is acting up. I was so happy last week because I was on my way to a 5 day running week, but then I tweaked my back. I have to start learning better form when lifting. It happened on Thursday, but then I was ok until Saturday morning. In other news, my kitty Oreo went into kidney failure and I had to put him down on Thursday. It was totally unexpected and I just lost my Felix 5 weeks ago. It was very sad and still is. I was a mess. Both Oreo and Felix were my cats and snuggle buddies. I took off this Friday and will enjoy having time off. I need to get on here more often because I miss you all. I do read the threads.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-21 9:41 AM
I'm sorry about Oreo.:hug: I feel like I know him.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-21 11:02 AM
Oreo. :hug:

Sorry your back is hurt.  Is this a long term thing for you, or just this week?
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-11-21 11:20 AM
The back is long term, but I've managed it well, so it doesn't always act up. It is getting better so I am hoping it gets to normal for me.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-21 4:24 PM
I am sorry about Oreo. And Felix. It is so hard to lose pets.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-11-21 4:57 PM
I am sorry about your loss of your dear pets.:hug::hug:
Sending healing vibes to your back. :hug::hug:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-11-21 10:31 AM
Monday - late leg workout with trainer. 
Today - Upper body and core with trainer. 

Went to Sam's Club during Business Member hours after working out - so much more pleasant without a full store.  As I was headed for the checkout, somehow I started chatting with a manager, and he asked me if I was using the Scan and Go app.  Nope.  HOLY GAME CHANGER - you scan your items via the app as you shop, then you bypass the checkout, go straight to the door where they scan your app, count your buggy, and you leave.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-21 11:03 AM
Amazon is working on a store where they don't even do the check the cart as you leave, the basket you have senses what you put in it, and you just walk out with that stuff.  They are piloting it at the headquarters, and I think have opened it for local Prime members who want to try it.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-11-21 11:22 AM
That must have made for such a better shopping experience.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-21 9:02 PM
Interesting.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-21 11:01 AM
I tested the waters this morning with a 45 min swim.  Boy did it feel good.  The gym was quiet due to the holiday week, so I had the pool to myself for a while.  Bliss!

I've noticed I have a hard time getting into and out of a deep squat (like standing from the pool deck after I jump out).  My Kinesiology teacher was talking about how she things most leg issues are from weak glutes. What do you think? If I want to work on this should I strengthen quads or glutes? And yes, I know both would be best, but I'm just trying to think it through.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-11-21 11:23 AM
Your swimming is always so impressive to this non-swimmer. I am not an expert but I think the glutes do more.
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-11-21 11:34 AM
weak glutes and stiff hips. Good quick workouts would be kettlebell squats (hold a dumbell or kettlebell to chest you can make it full body by pushing up on weight when you stand), one leg squat with leg up on bench, stiff leg deadlift, and walking lunges no weight needed with full range of motion. Range of motion you can do a series of poses like half pigeon, lizard and runners lunge and sitting holding leg and pulling towards shoulder.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-21 11:54 AM
Personal experience suggests that your kinesiology teacher is right. Most of my PT for my knee involves strengthening my glutes. Most of my PT for my lower back issues involves strengthening my glutes. The medial glutes in particular are responsible for a heck of a lot of our functional movement, and when they stop working, it puts stress everywhere else.

A lot of TRX exercises will work the glutes. Box jumps. Wall sits in which you sit and extend one leg in front of you and hold it out. Walking sideways with a resistance band around your knees. Walking sideways in a crouch with a resistance band around your knees. Kick drills in the pool (hold a paddleboard in front of you and kick with legs straight). Squats. Kettlebell swings done with correct form will work the glutes. Burpees with squat jumps. There are so many things you can do, both at home and at the gym and in the water.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-11-21 3:49 PM
According to both my physios, my MT & my pilates teacher just about everyone underuses their glutes and overuses their quads. So I'm going with your kinesiology teacher either being right or part of a mass conspiracy :laugh:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-21 6:51 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-21 9:05 PM
I guess you could work on glutes since that seems to be the consensus. You could work on quads if that doesn't do the trick.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-11-21 11:30 AM
I'm sicker today than yesterday. Probably because I went for a run, worked, and took boys to lunch and movie instead of resting. So working from my bed. :mutmad:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-21 11:46 AM
Aww, NSF...sorry to hear you are feeling poorly. I hope that changes soon.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-11-21 12:02 PM
I hope working in bed does the trick :hug: rest up.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-21 11:47 AM
SDO today. Yesterday I was really feeling the workouts and today will be a "rest and knit" dealio. T-bone has the day off tomorrow, so we will hit the gym together then.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-21 9:06 PM
SDOS are the best part of working out.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-11-21 12:01 PM
6 miles this morning before my ultrasound. 9 weeks tomorrow and little baby is looking good, heartbeat strong :hug: and thankfully there is only one baby in there :laugh: the run was sooo slow but whatever, I'm getting out there and it was a beautiful fall morning and that's what matters!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-21 12:46 PM
Six miles! OMG. You amaze me. I was so drop-dead tired at 9 weeks I literally once fell asleep on the floor between my desk and the bedroom. :laugh::laugh::laugh: I tried a few runs but the fatigue always won.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-11-21 2:08 PM
aw, why thank you. :hug: I think I just respond better than most to pregnancy.  My symptoms tend to be mild.  Now that I'm in pregnancy #2 I can start to generalize... "AAALLLL of my pregnancies have been this way" :laugh:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-21 6:51 PM
:laugh::hug::cool:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-22 12:03 AM
How many are you planning to have?!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-21 9:07 PM
Yeah for 6 miles and the impending baby!
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-21 4:22 PM
WFH today which meant I had time for more of a run. 6 miles.

But now working hard. There's a bunch of stuff that needs to be done before the holiday.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-21 9:06 PM
Nice run. I love longish runs during the week.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-22 12:02 AM
So do I but I don't often get a chance to do them outside, especially during the winter.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Testing the waters Tuesday (Dailies)