Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Lets make it happen Monday! (Dailies)
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-13 6:39 AM
I'm ready if you are. Post
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-13 6:54 AM
I posted about my race yesterday but I have nothing else to post about now that I'm taking a rest day.: pbbt:

1:57:07 which is not sub 1:55 but is a PR for the course (my previous PR being 11 years ago) and my 2nd fast 1/2. I also got first in AG and finished in the top 18% of women. I am ecstatic with those results because I know I had to work hard to get them. I haven't ruled out the sub 1:55 but I think I'm ready for an off season.

A little sore, but I did not have any nausea post race which for me is a moral victory. Thankfully the weather was race perfect so that helped.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-11-13 7:18 AM
CONGRATS! Excellent work and training got you great results! You are bada$$! :grin:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-11-13 8:07 AM
I'll say it again - great work!  Your hard work is paying off!  I think 1:55 is definitely possible for you. :happy: definitely enjoy the rest day.
Parent - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2017-11-13 8:42 AM
Wow that is amazing great work!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-13 12:03 PM
Commented yesterday but more congratulations! Hard work paid off.

And good that you didn't feel sick afterwards.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-13 12:09 PM
Nice to know it's not required to feel sick after a race.:grin:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-13 9:51 PM
It's certainly not required. (Sonic diet cherry limeades, anyone?) However nobody will fault you if you do feel sick.

Take it from someone who has crossed more than one finish line and promptly barfed on the pavement. There's a good reason why most races no longer use the kind of chip that has to be removed from the runner's shoe.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-14 7:11 AM
I hated those chips and the abrupt stopping that came with them.:meh:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-13 2:30 PM
Fantastic, noquitter!!!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-13 8:00 PM
Thank you!
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-11-13 7:23 AM
Friday and Saturday, I got involved with life and rested up for the long run on Sunday.

Sunday Buddy and I ran 55 minutes out the trail and park until he left, then I added 25 minutes on my own down in the park. It was 28° when we started out. It was pretty quiet except for some very busy squirrels.  Sunday Buddy and I are going to our Winter Plan (which is to our own inside tracks) until we meet up again in March. I will miss him but I hope to stay out this winter as much as possible. His parting words to me were “Don’t go out there without me” which is an admonition not to go in the isolated places alone. He’s been a great protector for the last 21 years.

Today I hope to run down in the park. Temp is around 40° or higher.
Safe and happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-13 7:38 AM
I don't enjoy winter runs alone. Many runs are better with friends but winter runs require lots of moral support and precautions in particular.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-11-13 8:08 AM
Aw, I love your stories about Sunday Buddy! :hug: 21 years of friendship and running - what a great thing.

Enjoy the run today!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-13 12:03 PM
Sorry you are saying farewell to Sunday Buddy until March. Do you two have contact information for each other? You mentioned his daughter sometimes joins you?
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-11-13 2:08 PM
Yes, if he died in the meantime, (perish the thought) I think his daughter would let me know. He's in the phone book so I could reach his family if I saw an obit. We have never contacted...we just go out there and find one another and have done so 21 times. It's funny because in March when we're out looking for one another, walkers on the trail will tell us if they saw the other. :laugh:
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-11-13 8:11 AM
definitely been having queasiness for the past few days.  It hasn't progressed to wanting to puke, but I did feel pretty yucky on yesterday's run, which led to it being a run/walk.  Currently it is raining and 35, so I am going to try out my treadmill for the first time since we moved.  The belt was having some issues, but I tested it out briefly the other day and it seemed okay.  Maybe it has healed itself :wtf:

Anyway, it will be me and the treadmill and an episode of Gilmore Girls on the old iPad.  I think I will start with slow running but give myself the option of moving to fast walking if necessary. 

got my Big Scary Paper back finally - the one that was supposed to be a "polished first draft" - with very positive comments!  There is lots of work to be done to keep shaping it and improving it, but I'm feeling very positive overall.  This was my first really really major writing assignment from the Land of PhD-ing, so this feels good.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-13 12:02 PM
The first trimester nasties -- the trouble with pregnancy nausea is you feel bad, you get sick, and you don't feel any better afterwards. Hope the TM works today. Congratulations on the paper comments!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-13 12:10 PM
Queasiness is the pits even if it's for a good reason.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-13 2:31 PM
Sorry about the queasiness. That blows. But yay for the paper!
Parent - - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2017-11-13 8:46 AM
I did not get to see Venus and Jupiter today - stupid clouds :mutmad: I mean if I'm getting up at 530 to run I want to enjoy some celestial sights dammit!

I went to a very interesting yoga session last night, chakra balancing with specific postures and crystal sound bowls. I may be insane but I will say that at the start of the bowls I found it annoying and by the end I found it soothing. She says this is because my chakras were all out of alignment which is quite possible. Anyway it was very relaxing.

I am also taking myself off the Lexapro (I wasn't on much of a dose anyway) I think it is giving me headaches and nausea and GI issues. I've been pooping 4 to 5 times a day sometimes which is leaving me feeling low energy levels. I am going to start trying St John Wart and Black Cohosh (for some other womenly issues...).
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-13 12:01 PM
Was there a conjunction this morning? I didn't notice, and I was up early also.

Interesting yoga indeed. Good luck with the change in meds.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-13 12:14 PM
I am glad the yoga session was was beneficial.

Those side effects would be hard to live with.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-11-13 2:25 PM
I think I've heard the sound bowls and I can see how they would be soothing.
We get clouds a lot and astronomical things rarely because of it. :laugh:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-11-13 12:39 PM
Saturday - trainer work out.  We successfully made all body parts hurt.  :D

Sunday - went ziplining with the family.  Turns out ziplining is a good legs workout (lots of stairs), good core workout (lots of unsteady rope bridges to cross), and good arms/shoulders workout (if you brake too hard, you stop before you get to the platform and you have to pull yourself in).

Monday - SDO.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-13 1:26 PM
You have not sold me on ziplining but good job!:laugh:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-11-13 2:27 PM
It sounds like zipping (or whatever :laugh:) would use ever muscle one would possess. :laugh:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-13 2:42 PM
One hour of yoga today and then a really nice 5K on the TM. Felt pretty darned good today!

And I have my Lewis back with me. :hug::hug::hug: Ratbag really wanted to keep his cat, Aretha, nearby, so I only brought Lewis home. I am worried about Aretha, but she is Ratbag's responsibility now, and I think he will do what he can to make sure she is well cared for.

BTW, seeing XH in person was hugely cathartic. So was seeing the old house, which, after two years of XH's complete lack of maintenance, now looks like an abandoned, dilapidated crack house. It was truly horrific, and it made my stomach turn to think of Ratbag sleeping there this summer. And XH was not much better. He looked small, shockingly aged, shabby and mean. The alcoholism and self-neglect, along with all the anger that seems to be surfacing, is really taking a toll on him. He is looking more like his mom as he gets older, and he now looks older than she does, and she is in her 90s. His skin and general health looks much worse than hers.

But seeing him, and dealing with him, suddenly made me realize I no longer need to hold onto him emotionally in any way. And so I dropped him out of my psyche and closed that whole chapter of my life with him. And drove home feeling light as a soap bubble. Seriously, I cannot remember the last time I felt so simply light and happy. It felt so good to come home afterward, to my current life, and to feel able to completely appreciate what I have now. It was like I'd been pulling a sledge loaded with rocks through a swamp, and then finally got to let go and walk away.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-13 4:55 PM
Glad you have Lewis and that Ratbag is taking responsibility for Aretha. How did Lewis deal with the cross country drive?

I am sorry about the breakdown of the house, you spent so much time trying to take care of it. And sorry Ratbag's father is neglecting himself (and probably Ratbag as well). Are you and Ratbag slowly establishing new avenues of communication and respect? Hope so.

You're right. Let go. That part of your life is done -- turn the page, move on.

And good luck integrating Lewis-moggy into the household. Dali should remember him but Nell never lived with him, did she? They will get used to each other.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-13 5:47 PM
Lewis was an excellent traveler, I am happy to say. :hug:

No, Ratbag seems not ready to talk to me again. Not yet. I think I just need to let go of any hope of having a relationship with him again. If it happens, it happens, but he is going to have to make his own choices. I won't keep pursuing him.

Dali and Lewis clearly recognize each other. They aren't acting like BFFs again yet, but Dali seems happier. Much more content, more like her old self. It is sweet to see. I think she has really missed her buddy.

Lewis is being quiet and cautious here in the new house, but he has met Nellie and Leif, and they were all super-chill with each other. Like, "Oh, hey...nice ta meetcha. Let's get coffee when you're ready." No hissing, no territorial behavior. Everyone just sniffed noses and went about their business. I think Lewis is likely to be the alpha cat, but he is a benevolent soul and the rest of the crew are all pretty agreeable.  This makes me very happy. :happy:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-13 9:52 PM
Glad the cats are being civil to one another.

My brother didn't talk to my parents for years, but he is now on good terms with my mother. All you can do is let him know you love him and if/when he is ready to reconnect you will be there.
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-13 12:00 PM
3.4 this morning, it's getting colder (definitely long sleeve weather, for the runny nose if nothing else! :blush:) but not cold yet. Sliver of last-quarter moon in the sky. Basic morning "which way today? I think turn right" run.

RN was swimming, I think, so did the run solo.

On the fence about the San Joaquin River 50K on Saturday. It sounds like a nice course, however it is a 3.5 hour drive to get there for a 6:30 start which means leaving home at 2 or 2:30. And it's $115. But it is close enough to drive, the RD is the same one who took over Shadow and I want to know what's happening with that race after the fire last summer, and I would like to do one more 50K this year and maybe actually finish it rather than DNF which happened with my last two. 12 hour cutoff so plenty of time -- there's a 100K also so the 50K has a generous cutoff.

I have until Wednesday evening to decide.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-13 12:24 PM
That is a generous cut off.

Has it been considered before now?
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-13 4:41 PM
It's been in the back of my mind but I haven't signed up. It's money and a full day of driving and running -- I am hosting Thanksgiving this year, too, so there is serious cleaning and prep work needed.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-11-13 2:26 PM
Glad things are cooling off for you. It's got to be easier to breathe. Great work on the 3.4. :happy:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-13 4:41 PM
No problems breathing here but it is easier to run when it's cooler!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-13 2:43 PM
Can't advise you on whether to do the 50K, but it sounds like there are some definite "pros" in its favor.

Are the fires out yet?
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-13 4:40 PM
I sincerely hope so on the fires. Yes, pros and cons to doing it, I think I'm likely to talk myself into it.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-13 5:48 PM
LOL! /nudge, nudge
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-13 4:39 PM
6.54 on the TM at lunch -- intervals, 3 minutes easy, 1 minute hard, steadily increasing the difficulty. I was pleased with myself for finishing the entire sequence.

Oh, and GREAT news! DSBF texted me to announce that his employer (big discount store) has offered him a promotion. Lead in a department which he has been working in for a while, different store but it's less than 10 miles away, and he has transportation (our old van) so can get there. This job involves more responsibilities, like arranging deliveries and participating in weekly conference calls regarding inventory and sales, and it is full time with benefits AND a pay increase. He is extremely proud of himself and rightly so -- this is a big step. Now if I could get him to take a class or two at the community college that would be even better!
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-11-13 9:48 PM
Excellent work on the 6.54 miler. You are so consistent with your training.
What great news for DSBF! That should give him a big lift. He deserves it. And how great for you to have been so helpful for him. He will never forget what you have done for him. :happy:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-13 9:53 PM
:grin: His self-esteem has risen considerably. A year ago he was a temp casual employee. Now he is being offered full time with benefits!
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2017-11-14 5:32 AM
Awesome for DSBF!
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-11-14 7:30 AM
That's fantastic news! Congratulations to you and DSBF.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Lets make it happen Monday! (Dailies)