Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Fracas-welcome Friday NRR
- - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-10 10:45 AM
rabble-rousing posts welcome here!

:mischief:
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-10 10:53 AM
The forum has a wide cross section, can you define your expectations when seeing the following terms - answers will vary depending on person, I'm trying to get a feel for the range of interpretations

Sleepover
Overnight
Backyard Camp
Cabin Camp
Camp
Primitive Camp

Please define in terms of amenities, etc.
example: 

Sleepover - sleep indoors on a floor, cot, or bed, with furnace and/or air conditioner, kitchen facilities include refrigerator, plumbed sink, gas/electric stove and oven, tables & chairs indoors for food and activities.  Bathroom is fully modern with flush toilet, plumbed sink and a shower or bath is available.  participants may drive close to the facility and a few steps required to carry in gear from vehicles.  Electrical outlets and lights are readily available.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-10 10:56 AM
To me sleepover and overnight are interchangeable and both sleeping somewhere other than home, likely with sleeping bag with a group.
I am not a camping person...
Backyard, sleep in tent in own yard with all home amenities
Cabin in a cabin with place to cook, bathroom, etc
Camp, generic sleep in tent with bathroom facilities somewhere
Primitive, something I will never do :laugh: Camping with no amenities, need to carry in supplies, etc
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-10 11:37 AM
:laugh:I have been discussing "primitive" with some other troops & one of the comments had me baffled - they considered it primitive camping if they had to use latrines/pit toilets/porta-potties, regardless of the facility one was sleeping in.

That led to a discussion of the rest of the terms & they believed "camping" was staying at a fully-modern building, sometimes with bunk beds, if it was located in a predominantly natural area, but you could still drive up to it.

I get that there are 'degrees of comfort' but i thought the term primitive was pretty clearly "a site with zero improvements"
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-11-10 4:25 PM
I concur with gophergirl's definitions.
I have done all of them and had the most fun at the primitive one or the camp ones.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-11-10 11:12 AM
Sleepover - sleeping over at a friends house usually involves sleeping bags, staying up late, video games if boys, giggling about boys if girls, pizza for dinner and waffles for breakfast

Overnight - If a camp, spending the night either alone or with others or parents in tent or RV depending on age of camper If sleepover see above.

Backyard Camp - sleeping out in a tent in someones backyard, basically sleepover with perhaps smores and scary ghost stories

Cabin Camp - overnight camping but instead of a tent or RV sleeping in a cabin usually 4 to 8 people.

Camp - any mix of day, overnight, weekend, week, summer multiple weeks...to vague to judge

Primitive Camp - no potable water or toilet facilities and tent only. Can also be pack in pack out
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-10 11:57 AM
My younger kid wants to make waffles next time we go backpacking :laugh: she found a pie-iron style waffle maker :shocker!:
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-11-10 2:24 PM
Eggo
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-10 2:53 PM
yep, that's what I told her - I'm not carrying a waffle iron in my backpack :shocker!:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-11-12 7:35 AM
Agree with NSF's definitions.
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-11-10 11:42 AM
Sleepover - probably someone's house.  if youngsters, sleeping bags on the living room floor

Overnight - probably the gym or a church basement type situation.  Again, sleeping bags on the floor

Backyard Camp - tent in someone's yard.  access to indoor plumbing, cooking, etc.

Cabin Camp - rustic cabins, probably no heat / hw - but shared bathroom facility somewhere on the site.   Probably put your sleeping bag on a mattress.

Camp - off in the woods in a tent.  bathroom is *maybe* a port-o-pottie, but maybe a bush

Primitive Camp - bring your tarp and learn to camp survival style
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-11-10 11:56 AM
To add to this, I think "going to the cabin" is different than "cabin camping". The former, to me, implies a fully functional house (electricity, indoor plumbing, etc.), although said house may or (may not) be much smaller and more rustic than a typical house. The latter implies you are within some type of structure, but lacking the amenities of electricity and running water.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-10 11:59 AM
Good point - a lot of people call their second home in the north woods a "cabin," it almost always has some sort of indoor plumbing & power/heat.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-10 11:58 AM
this matches my own definition very closely.  I'll allow hammock or lightweight tents to carry-in for primitive camping.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-11-10 12:38 PM
Sleepover - sleep indoors at someone's house. Probably in a sleeping bag or on a pull out sofa. Normal house amenities
Overnight - same as above; potentially could see this as being at a church location but still similar as above
Backyard Camp - sleep in a tent in a house's backyard. Can still go inside for bathrooms or inclimate weather
Cabin Camp - sleep in a bunk bed; has bathrooms, kitchen, etc. Might be sparse amenities but still has the basics plus climate controlled
Camp - sleeping in a tent in a big area with others in tents. Have to walk to a communal area for bathrooms, showers, etc.
Primitive Camp - Hell no. Same as camp above except no bathrooms or shower facility. I picture bathroom in the woods kind of thing, no showers, etc. Probably more off the beaten path in terms of getting all of your stuff there.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-11-10 1:54 PM
Some of it would depend on context (though I'm guessing your context is Girl Scouts :laugh:).

Sleepover - At someone's home.  I would expect to sleep in the bedroom or living room, either in beds, on sofas, or on the floor.  All of the comforts of home, minus perhaps sleeping in your own bed.
Overnight - I'd associate this more with a youth group or something.  Depending on the setting, they might be in a church sanctuary, gym, or in a dorm-type setting.  I would expect a bathroom, perhaps some access to a kitchen, and some reasonable climate control and shelter from the elements.
Backyard Camp - Pitch a tent in someone's back yard.  Unless otherwise specified, I'd expect one to two tents (i.e. a small group).  Access to a home kitchen and bathroom and able to come inside if the weather gets nasty, a kid gets scared, etc.
Cabin Camp - an organized campground (e.g. a 4-H camp).  Cabins should have bathrooms (or perhaps a more central "bath cabin") but I'd expect flush toilets and beds/bunks of some sort.  I would not expect linens to be provided.  Cabins may or may not be climate controlled, but I wouldn't expect to be in an unheated cabin if it's bitterly cold.  If it's a summer camp type setup, I'd expect a dining hall.  If it's more of a national park setting, I'd expect some access to kitchen facilities or an indication that only grills are available.  A more primitive cabin camp, especially at a national park, might have long drop toilets.  I would not expect a long walk to reach the cabin unless specifically advised otherwise.
Camp - a catchall term, but I'd probably expect a tent. :laugh:  The tent might be pitched in someone's back yard, at a campsite where you park next to/near your tent, or it could be in the back country somewhere either on- or off-trail.  I would not expect to sleep in a permanent structure, unless advised otherwise.  Expectation of access to electricity and running water would be dependent on the context.
Primitive Camp - I'd probably just call it camping. :laugh:  I would expect to carry everything I need, find a site suitable for camping, and pitch a tent.  I would expect to use portable stove for cooking and would expect to find and purify water.  I would not expect electricity or a flush toilet. :laugh:  I would not necessarily expect easy access to a road.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-11 4:48 PM
"Sleepover" means one friend comes over or the child goes to the friend's house, sleeping is in the child's bedroom, all amenities such as indoor plumbing and access to kitchen.
"Overnight" may mean multiple children, though that could also be "slumber party". Again sleeping is indoors.
"Backyard Camp" means tent in the back yard, door is unlocked for access to bathroom and/or kitchen.
"Cabin Camp" means all amenities but in cabin of some type, or perhaps kids are sleeping in a cabin and there are communal lavatory facilities, probably communal showers.
"Camp" means a tent erected in a campground, probably some type of communal facility involving running water but possibly pit toilets and no showers.
"Primitive Camp" means a tent and no amenities. You build your own fire and dig a latrine, all water has to be packed in or purified on site. (In southern California you would likely be packing it in.)
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-10 10:53 AM
Just got call that after being in speech since age 3, first at clinic setting then through school, O has met criteria to stop.:grin: So happy for her.

Stay strong mom moment today: O decided that she was going to pour today's cereal yesterday morning (milk and all) since it would taste better today.:roll: Despite me saying it would be soggy and she wouldn't get a different breakfast she did it, guess what! She didn't like it. Guess who complained all morning but was not given a different breakfast. She did eat some of it. Hopefully this will be a lesson when she is hungry this morning.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-11-10 11:13 AM
she won't starve to death
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-10 11:18 AM
She tried to tell me she would but nope, she will survive .
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-10 11:23 AM
:laugh: my kids will roll their eyes now when a friend complains about being "starving".   I would always quote the Rule of 3 to mine - 3 minutes without air, 3 hours from exposure, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food - nope, you're not going to die from a morning without breakfast.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-10 11:27 AM
I love that! It is funny how many parents believe that their kid will suffer/starve from skipping a meal. I frequently tell parents in clinic that their child who refused dinner will not starve and does not need a special meal
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-10 11:33 AM Edited 2017-11-10 11:45 AM
It's what I teach the scouts about survival... how long it actually takes to die from things, there's another 3 in there, 3 seconds without preparedness/positive attitude - you'll die fast if you make a really dumb mistake or simply give up (use your sleeping bag to start a fire to stay warm, for example)

Edit - or 3 seconds if you panic.  : pbbt:
Parent - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-11-10 12:02 PM
That last one is key!
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-11-12 7:40 AM
3 seconds if you panic - yes! Overall good lessons on what real threat looks like.
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-11-10 12:02 PM
My DH is still a little fuzzy on the food point. He certainly knows a day isn't an issue, but he does think that longer than about 3 days is serious.

Where did the 3 week no food figure come from? I would think that would depend highly on conditions, as well as the general health of the individual before starvation. I could buy 3 weeks for an average person in a wilderness scenario where you are probably trying to stay warm and perhaps having to move though rugged terrain, but most people could go much longer than 3 weeks without food if their body wasn't being stressed otherwise.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-10 12:10 PM
It's the "general rules" for a survival situation in the wilderness - I use it to help the kids prioritize their needs - don't worry about food right away (most think of food first).  I don't have academic papers reporting the 3 weeks rule, but you'll find it in several outdoor survival guides, my current favorite is "98.6 Degrees, the Art of Keeping your Ass Alive"

When you are hopelessly lost, or disaster strikes & you are far from help:

First things are first - Stop, Think, Observe, Plan - don't panic, you got this.
The only reason you will suffocate is water/avalanche - in those situations, get the person OUT FAST.
Do you need to move to a safer area (fires, floods, etc)  plan out a good place to move to.
Next - analyze the weather situation & break out your extra duds if necessary - find a place to shelter you from wind/rain/sun/chill
Then - look for water source nearby
FINALLY - look for food you can scavenge if you are still out there.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-11-10 2:26 PM
Average American could probably go 3 months without food.
Parent - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-11-10 2:30 PM
:laugh::cry:
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-10 2:54 PM
:cry:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-10 4:06 PM
:cry::laugh:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-11-10 12:39 PM
Yea O for speech.  Maybe notsomuch for the cereal although good for you for staying strong. And for her to have the curiosity to try I suppose
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-11-10 12:41 PM
PSA: If you have a Kohls card, today only you can combine a $10 off $25 with 30% off purchase. Bought some good toys for our Christmas angel program and got really good deals. You can use it more than once so do multiple transactions to maximize savings. Thinking of buying some matching Christmas PJs for B and me too
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-11-10 6:11 PM
Anyone buy LulaRoe? I gave in because someone had the solid black ones. I just opened my package and there were 2 instead of one. It seemed like it was sealed. Is this a mistake or do they sometimes ship a freebie? I know that seems dumbto ask but I feel like the consultant would know it felt bigger than a regular package of 1.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-10 8:15 PM
I've only bought in person but too started with the solid black ones. So comfy. Never gotten a double pair.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-11-11 4:37 AM
They are so comfy and I like that they come up higher which is good for this post baby belly. I want to wear them all day long, both pairs haha
Up Topic Communities / Women / Fracas-welcome Friday NRR