Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / 11/10/75
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-11-10 8:28 AM
The Edmund Fitzgerald went down.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-11-10 10:08 AM
I spent the early part of my youth living on the coast of Lake Erie. My dad always had a boat, and I remember seeing those big ore freighters out in the lakes and in the port cities of Lorain and Huron, OH. Man those ships were long and large, but odd looking. How they were built it seems you could see how they might split in two. Tragic accident and storm.

As to the song, sort of a strange co-incidence back in 2013. It was in the summer, I was sort of in the midst of a comeback with my ultra-running, having completed the Laurel Highlands Ultra in June and was thinking about running the Superior Trail 100 in September. I hadn't signed up yet, and was driving out to the trailhead one morning in August for a long run to see if things felt good enough for me to sign-up for the race. I was clicking around on the satellite radio, not happy with what was playing on my standard stations, and low and behold the 70's on 7 was playing that song. I signed up that day after my long run.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2017-11-10 5:09 PM
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-11-10 10:01 PM
It's a really simple song but Gordon Lightfoot's ballad still brings chills. And that's a good video, thanks.
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-11-11 1:14 AM
Yes.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-11-13 2:09 PM
I was in third grade in Michigan when that occurred.  The uncle of the boy who sat next to me in class was on the ship.  It was very sad and as third graders, we didn't know the appropriate things to say to him.  Since we were at Catholic school, our class said a rosary for him, so I have always hoped that made the boy feel better.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-13 10:09 PM
In 7th grade and I have absolutely no recollection of the shipwreck, though I'm sure my parents remember it.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / 11/10/75