Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Finally Friday, 10 Nov 2017
- - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-11-10 6:36 AM
Finally, Friday has arrived!  Do you have a holiday today?

What are the weekend plans?

Post away...
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-11-10 6:39 AM
Seems as though we started the daily simultaneously. I deleted mine which was similar. 

I heard on the radio that banks are closed today for Veteran's Day.  I don't work for a bank so I am working.

First run since Sunday.  3 miles at the nearby park.  32°, clear skies, light breeze.  And it felt good to move the legs again.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-11-10 8:27 AM
Sorry about that Dave.  Guess two great minds think alike!

I just heard the school bus so at least in my area, it is not a holiday.  I know it is a Federal holiday but not too sure about local government.  When I worked for the Health Science Center, if the holiday was on a Saturday, we did not get the day off but instead we received a floating holiday. 

Sounds like you had perfect weather for a run.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-11-11 6:47 AM
Are you going to start the daily today (Saturday)?
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-11-10 8:13 AM
We just had a brief Veteran's Day ceremony at school.  Several student family members attended, many who are active military or former. 

Weekend plans include a long trail run tomorrow morning.  Other than that, not a lot of anything that is pressing.  That's the way I like my weekends.

5 mile run this morning.  33F with no wind, so it was nice out there.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-11-10 8:29 AM
I am going to ask my former school teacher friend how our district celebrates Veteran's Day.  I haven't heard of any local services, but San Antonio will have plenty.

I like my weekends carefree also.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-10 8:35 AM
Enjoy that trail run tomorrow Mike.   There's a new event coming to NW Illinois. https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=51919

Not sure if you are interested in something like that but I will vouch for the venue.  Small, quaint, ski resort.  Gorgeous views.  Neat historic town; home to Ulysses S. Grant.  It's a very family friendly area.  Bring your whole family for one big outing before Makayla heads off to college.
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-11-10 10:49 AM
I got on the website and that looks nice.  The lake view with the ski resort reminded me of Devil's Lake.  I like the timed ultra format.  I will keep it in mind and all depends on when I'm out for school and Makayla's graduation date, etc.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-10 8:29 AM
No holiday here.:wink:  No weekend plans.

If my dad were still alive, tomorrow, veteran's day, would be his 95th birthday.  He's my favorite Marine.  My great nephew was born the same day and he turns 34 tomorrow.

I've been on the phone with Lisa planning an Amtrak trip for her.  Looks like a neat and inexpensive trip for her to Illinois.  And if it works well I will use the same route in the future to visit my Michiganders.:happy:  She has quit her part time job as her art keeps her busy full time now.  It also means she can sneak away for 3 or 4 days at a time.

Almost record breaking 17 degrees this morning!  An excuse for an extra cup of coffee.:happy:  I'm not too excited for the track workout I have in mind for this afternoon.  But by afternoon I may have changed my mind.  If I skip, it is arms and abs day in my sunroom.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-11-10 8:32 AM
Your favorite Marine :hug::hug: 

You are fortunate to have Amtrak available. And it gives you a chance to visit without having to make the drive by yourself.  Lisa is a very good artist.  I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler!

17 degrees -- oh my that is cold.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-10 8:37 AM
well, Amtrak still leaves her off an hour from home but that is much better than that horrible drive.

and yes, it is darn cold!
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-11-10 1:46 PM
That sounds fun! ( not the 17 degrees or the track but the trip!). Wonderful that Lisa is busy full time with her art!!
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-11-10 8:46 AM
I took my girls to visit Chicago on Amtrak.  We picked it up in Flint, stopped in Lansing as well as other cities along the way.  It was a fun trip.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-10 9:10 AM
This probably sounds like a dumb question but was it a big train?   I'm not an authority on Union Station in Chicago at all but it seems to me that the big Amtraks come in on one side of the place and the commuter stuff  use the other side.  And that can be confusing.  Union Station, I believe, even has 2 different street addresses depending upon which kind of train.

She will be on the California Zephyr, so "big train" from Chicago out here to the sticks and the whole thing would be easier if she comes into Chicago on the same caliber of train.  Does that even make sense?  I'm hopeless with this stuff.  Why do I worry, she's been doing solo travel for years......
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-11-10 9:36 AM
I didn't pay much attention to addresses or the type of train.  It wasn't real big though.  All the cars were just places to sit and one car with snacks and dining tables. 

I remember unloading under ground and walking a bit to get to the station, but then we followed the signs to where it said we could get a cab, which we then took to the hotel.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-10 10:58 AM
Thanks.  believe it or not, you answered my question.:happy:
Parent - By DottieO Date 2017-11-10 1:38 PM
We love train travel. We will take Amtrak from Maine to DC in January. $200 each round trip. About 10 hours I think. Comfy seats and way more convenient than flying. :grin:
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2017-11-10 1:41 PM
Very cold and sunny. 16 with the wind chill. Brrrrr! Only 3 miles as we had to leave early to avoid big waves and rough water. I had all kinds of errands to run anyway. Work as usual this weekend.

:grin:
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-10 2:41 PM
brrrrrr.
Parent - - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-11-10 1:50 PM
Glad your calf held up, Dave!

Beautiful here, low 60’s.

I worked late yesterday but changed into my SuperWoman costume ( aka running shorts) and ran a decent 3 Miles. It was dark and chilly and fun.

Did the 90” spin  this am. Had to slack a few minutes halfway through.

Going to a bridal shower tomorrow. May stop at roadrunner sports on the way home. :wink:
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-10 2:40 PM
I know how you love new running shoes!
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Finally Friday, 10 Nov 2017