Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / IT'S POLL TIME! HAMSTERS OR GERBILS?
Poll Hamsters or gerbils
Hamsters 6 67%
Gerbils 3 33%
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-11-09 1:37 PM
Which are better pets?

Please note, Richard Gere jokes are not clever.
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2017-11-09 1:49 PM
Why can't you drive a gerbil?
Because you can't get it out of Gere!
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-11-09 2:06 PM
I take it back, that's funny.:laugh:
- - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-11-09 1:48 PM
you have cats, so neither.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-11-09 2:07 PM
I'm not thinking of getting one, just curious.

When I was little I had a number of hamsters over the course of a few years. My mom didn't want gerbils in the house because the tail made her think of rats and she didn't like them. I liked them well enough but in hindsight see that they weren't the greatest pets.
- - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-11-09 2:08 PM
I had guinea pigs once, and had a friend or two with gerbils.  Based on those experiences, I will say:  rodents are not good pets.

ETA:  BTW how come guinea pigs are not in your poll?
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-11-09 2:09 PM
I agree.

Guinea pigs always kind of creeped me out as a kid.
Parent - - By Elcontador [us] Date 2017-11-20 12:33 AM
Jake - Guinea pigs, or 'cuy,' are eaten as food by many people in the Andean countries.  I saw crates with many of them at local markets in Peru and Ecuador.  They are on menus in restaurants in rural areas out that way.
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-11-20 7:13 AM
Yeah, I've heard there are parks in Queens where there are large Peruvian populations where you can get them roasted on the weekend too.
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2017-11-09 2:41 PM
For pets the gerbil is a better option as they are desert animals and don't drink much ...so less urine, less stink.  Both are fkg nocturnal so not a great idea for a child's bedroom.

Guinea pigs are cute but they eat/shit drink/piss a ton and they can make adorable/annoying noises.....also nocturnal.

If it's a for a child the other consideration is their short life span (the rodent...not the kid).  Why subject a little peep to a dead friend they love other than to teach them none of us get out alive?
Personally I think they can learn that later.  Dogs or cats are way more sensible than a rodent as a pet. 

:hug:
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-11-09 3:19 PM
Actually guinea pigs are neither nocturnal or diurnal. They sleep in random spurts throughout each 24 hour cycle. They will have periods of activity and periods of sleep during both the day and the night. From a practical standpoint, however, this means there will be some noise at night.

Yes, cage change is necessary weekly for one pig, probably more often if you have more than one. We feed our pig some hay and dry food daily, and then save fruit and vege scraps to supplement with some fresh food.

Guinea pigs live longer than hamsters & gerbils, so something to keep in mind. Small rodents live 2-3 years, pigs likely 5-7 years. My daughter got her two pigs the summer after 7th grade. She graduated last spring and now I have inherited the surviving pig to take care of since she's out of the house.

FWIW, I have had gerbils, hamsters and guinea pigs as pets at some point in my life. The guinea pigs are by far my favorite. That said, I am a dog person.: pbbt:
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2017-11-09 5:45 PM
I inherited my son's box turtle when he left for college. This turtle has now been in the family for 23 years. He's going to outlive us all.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2017-11-09 6:03 PM
I had a box turtle too and gave it to a young family (of humans) and Frank is still alive.  Really cool....he ate lots of earthworms.

Also thanks for the guinea pig info...I liked the GP I got to know but he did make a racket at night so I assumed he was nocturnal.

As a very young lad I had a guinea pig called Patches and my older sister had one called Goldie.  No hints as to their look.

I'm definitely in the dog camp.  I have an outdoor cat too and she is cool.:hug:
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2017-11-20 8:36 AM
We are members of a local insect zoo and a few years ago did a class on Tarantulas.  I've always thought they were pretty cool.  The class offered the chance to get a baby tarantula and when we researched how long they can live (maybe 30 years), we passed on that idea.
- By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-11 4:41 PM
Where is the "neither, who would want a rodent for a pet?" button?
- - By sideshowbob Date 2017-11-11 5:26 PM
A man in a movie theater notices what looks like a hamster sitting next to him.
"Are you a hamster?" asked the man, surprised.
"Yes."
"What are you doing at the movies?"
The hamster replied, "Well, I liked the book."
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-11-20 5:49 AM
That is so stupid, I can't help but love it!:laugh:
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2017-11-20 10:19 AM
:cool::wink:
- - By N70SAK Date 2017-11-11 7:16 PM
Hamsters but rats are superior to both. :P
Parent - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-11-11 9:46 PM
I can't get past those tails ...
- By neustkg (Important) Date 2017-11-20 8:32 AM
Guinea Pigs
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / IT'S POLL TIME! HAMSTERS OR GERBILS?