Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Tuesday - 11/7
- - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-11-07 7:11 AM Edited 2017-11-07 7:19 AM
Let's skip the 6th and head right to the 7th.

rungear - Congratulations on the grandkid. Is that the first or are there more?

Grey Beard - Great news on the race.

Kymoose - Nice 8. Same weather here. It got colder all day long and it will today too.

OldAndInTheWay - 8.07 Always good to out do the Moose.

JetGirl - Good spinning. Don't know about dancing on a stationary bike. Could be an accident waiting to happen.  Cindy got back from a long women's retreat weekend in the Smoky's.  I am going to give her a day or so to rest and then see if she wants me to "flip her matress".

dnaff - Did you get to the track?

pamruns - Good to hear you were able to run. Have you signed up for next year's NYC marathon yet?
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-11-07 7:27 AM
I took a rest day yesterday. I was very sore. The worst was my left calf and right hip but I was sore all over too.

Today is a little better.  If the rain breaks I am going to go out for an easy walk.

I still don't know why I crashed at just 6 miles Sunday.  I could understand it happening at 9 or 10 but so early in the run doesn't make any sense. I pondered a few things.
- It was warm. Started in the low 60s and from what I was told, it was 75 by the finish. That could easily have done it to me.
- I woke up not feeling too good.  Throat was sore. And even though I carbed up and drank a good amount of water for a couple days before the race, I weighed my lowest for the year on the morning of the race.  What is up with that?  I am up 5 pounds this morning since Sunday morning.
- I haven't been sleeping very good for a couple weeks.

I was kind of thinking that was to be my last half and I would cap my long runs at about 8 miles and concentrate on getting a little quicker in my 5k & 10k races. But now I am wondering if I should try again next year and redeem myself.  I hate to go out on such a low note.  But first I better just wait and let my left calf get better.  It's been a problem for a few weeks now and I never give it enough rest to get all the way back.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-11-07 9:07 AM
Never say never.  No hurry to make up your mind about a half.
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2017-11-07 11:03 AM
I know what you mean about "redeeming" oneself-hence the need to do NYC one more time! Take care of that calf!
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-11-07 7:17 PM
:hug::hug::hug:
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-11-07 9:14 AM
I really surprised myself with a terrific run this morning.  Where was that energy and bounce for the 5k last Saturday morning?  Perhaps it had something to do with the Shoe Fly Pie ice cream cone on Friday night.   It sounded like it was going to be good, but too heavy on molasses. That's why I was slow as molasses for the race  Did you know that molasses is high in iron?  Can't imagine molasses loading for an Ironman.  

Off to Duck In, but it looks like real rain coming.  We will put up our prayer ribbons for Texas.

Tom in DE
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-07 9:56 AM
yay for a terrific run Tom! 

prayers continue for Texas.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-11-07 10:37 AM
That isn't too far from Marilyn, right?
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-07 10:54 AM
I think pretty close.  Haven't checked on a map though.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-11-07 9:46 PM
We just got home tonight from our trip to Mobile AL and the Gulf Shores.  We went to Mobile for a wedding.

I grew up in Floresville which is not too far from Sutherland Springs.  One of my grade school friends was born and raised in Sutherland Springs and still lives there.  And the assistant pastor, Bryan Holcombe was a classmate of mine.  I remember him as this young, red-headed boy who was always smiling.  I am just so saddened by all the violence in our country.  What has happened to us?
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-11-07 10:04 PM
So sad.:cry::cry::cry:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-08 6:43 AM
I never would have guessed that you knew some of those that were lost.  Keep in mind that people all across the country are praying for you Texans.:hug:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-11-08 6:59 AM
Thanks Dawn.
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2017-11-07 11:05 AM
So glad to hear you had a good run today! Continuing to pray for the people in Texas. So sad.
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-11-07 7:18 PM
Awesome running! WTG!!!
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-11-07 9:32 PM
Runs like yours this morning are what keep runners running. The awesome ones make the not so good ones, tolerable. :happy:
Glad you had a great one!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-07 10:00 AM
Hi Dave.  Yes I did get to the track yesterday though I was slower than the day before.  Funny because I felt like I was running really fast.  I did some ab work yesterday too.

Probably not the best plan but since I have a 14 day track pass I intend to run 14 days in a row.  Mini streaking.:laugh:  Mostly I just hit the track for 30 minutes run, walk, surge, jog, whatever my legs decide.  I don't think it is doing me a bit of good but my monthly mileage is going  to be great.:happy:

And since I can't post without speaking of food - I am trying a new recipe for almond cranberry cookies.  I'll let you know.....
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-11-07 10:36 AM
I don't think it is doing me a bit of good

How can mini streaking not be good?
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-07 10:55 AM
all that running can't possibly be good for a person, right?:wink:
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2017-11-07 11:07 AM
I haven't been to the track in forever! The cookies sound good!
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-11-07 7:19 PM
Ohhhh... the track. Haven’t been there in ages!
Parent - - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-11-07 9:26 PM
Did I hear almond cranberry cookies? :shocker!:

I need a report and a recipe, if they are good! :grin:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-08 6:49 AM
https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=25893&utm_campaign=recipe-of-the-day&utm_medium=email&utm_source=sparkpeople

I did a MAJOR substitution though when I realized I had no pumpkin.   I ran a gala apple thru the food processor and then scooped it into my 1 cup measure.  Then I topped that off with canola oil to get to one full cup.  So while oily apple mush doesn't sound wonderful it was a good sub.  I'm not sure I would like the pumpkin flavor in these anyway.   If you like a really sweet cookie, these are NOT.  My husband put a spoon of cream cheese frosting on his.:roll:
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-11-08 5:44 PM
Thank you!

I like a not-so-sweet cookie, so perhaps I'll give these a whirl in my new kitchen when I get moved in. :wink:
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2017-11-07 10:52 AM
Good Morning! Dave-thank you and no-not YET!
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2017-11-07 11:02 AM
No run or walk yet today. I have to wait for a call from someone who says that she MAY be able to get some of my radiation treatment bills and a couple of other doctor's visits paid from July, which will leave me ONLY owing $15,000 right now. We shall see! Of course, she will probably call at the end of the day when I'm too tired to walk or run after doing housework all day!

My son Nick and his girlfriend are coming down from Boston on the Saturday before Thanksgiving and staying until the day after turkey day! I am SO excited! I haven't seen Nick since last Thanksgiving and I was SOO sick then from chemo (I had treatment on the day they came), and couldn't go anywhere or even eat Thanksgiving dinner with them. This year I will have a LOT to be thankful for!
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-07 11:03 AM
What a great Thanksgiving present!
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-11-07 2:24 PM
Boy, you need the Prize Patrol to pull up at your house.      Good about your son.    A lot to give thanks for this year.
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-11-07 7:19 PM
Wonderful about your visitors, Pam!
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-11-07 9:27 PM
:hug::hug:
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-11-07 11:04 AM
went to the gym Sam at 5am. Did some pumping...of iron that is. 45 minutes of upperbody and core work. Ran home, 5.26 miles.
Beat the sucky cold rain we are now getting.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-07 11:59 AM
a shot of espresso or a shot of Sam to warm you up.  Your choice.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-11-07 2:27 PM
I think both are in order, but for Sam's sake maybe the espresso should be 2nd.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-07 2:31 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-11-07 9:30 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-11-07 12:32 PM
Hi Dave and everyone.  Same 8 this morning as yesterday.  It was misting again this morning and at one point started sprinkling.  Not really cold, so I stayed comfortable.

We don't have kids at school today, but have a teacher PD instead.  It's Election Day, but there are no elections.  I guess it's tradition to cancel school on the first Tuesday in November, election or no election.  A lady walked into our school this morning wanting to know where the elections were held since our school is always a polling venue.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-07 12:34 PM
vote often!:laugh:
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-11-07 2:31 PM
I'll vote for no school.  We get all the Jersey commercials here.  Jersey politics are nasty.  Sure glad it's over.   I wish the day after elections they would play clips of commercials to tell us which sleezeball lost.
Parent - - By rungear [us] Date 2017-11-07 4:43 PM
Dave, Levi is #7.  

NY Marathon 1st women, good for her and her marathon theme.

C Ya.
Parent - - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-11-07 7:25 PM
How is Levi’s mom doing? :hug::hug:
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-11-07 7:25 PM
I was thrilled to see Shalane win!
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2017-11-07 4:49 PM
3 miles before I had to leave for class. On trails. :cool: I voted before class, around 1130, and there was nobody in line except us. Took all of 3 minutes.

:grin:
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-11-07 9:29 PM
Trails are the best, aren't they? :cool:
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-11-07 7:16 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-11-07 7:24 PM
Went to the dentist for two hours..

Then came home and ran a sloggy 3 miles in humid daylight.  I usually run at night with streetlights, but that route has too much downhill, gotta run more flats, that is what is hard for me. I think that it is the steady running without the downhill breaks. Love me a rolling.  course.
Parent - - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-11-07 9:29 PM
Great job getting out there! :cool:
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-11-08 4:14 PM
:hug:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-11-07 9:47 PM
Congratulations RunGear on the birth of your grandchild!
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Tuesday - 11/7