Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Too Early Tuesday NRR
- - By swandive Date 2017-11-06 9:37 PM
I know it's too early for a Tuesday thread (except for out Kiwis, where are they?), but there's not a Monday thread and it's a bit late to start one of those so here we are...
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-11-06 10:11 PM
A is in the hospital tonight.  Mom took her to the ER this afternoon due to a suspected infection.  [Explanation: A has a port.  It's a thing that's implanted under the skin to give direct access to your heart and circulatory system.  It looks like this but you don't actually see that because the purple part is implanted under the skin and the tube threads through a vein to go into the heart.  A needs the port to administer medication because she doesn't reliably absorb medication other ways.  However, a central line also has risks because any infection can very easily spread throughout the body.  That's kinda the basics, but it means that any possible infection means you go to the hospital.]  So, A has been admitted to the hospital and hopefully they'll find and antibiotic that works (she's allergic to a lot of them), they'll administer it, then she'll be on her way tomorrow.  I mean, everything's probably going to be fine, but I'm realizing tonight how much stress I have associated with all of it.  There's other people in town so Mom is there tonight and I'll go down to the hospital tomorrow but I won't get stuck there like I have been in the past, but the last time she was in the hospital (for something entirely different) it was 21 days and I think I spent 14 nights there.  A few years ago I went five days straight without ever getting any further away from her room than the vending machine that was maybe 20' away.  She'll likely go home tomorrow and it'll all be ok, but I need to pack in case it isn't.
Parent - By flyingkiwi Date 2017-11-07 2:17 AM
I'm sorry. That sounds very stressful and difficult. I hope A is better quickly and back out of hospital asap :hug:
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-11-07 3:57 AM
Sorry to hear that. But she is so lucky to have a sister like you. :hug:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-11-07 6:52 AM
Very best healing wishes for A and I hope this is a quick return to home for all of you. :hug:
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-11-07 8:42 AM
Thanks everyone. :hug:  I'm feeling a bit better about things this morning, but they're definitely keeping A for 48 hours so I'm heading down to the hospital in a while so Mom can come home.

BTW, I got to thinking and last time A was in the hospital it wasn't 21 days; it was 17 or something and I was there 2 nights out of 3.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-11-07 9:19 AM
:sad:  Poor A and poor you.  Chronic illnesses are so tough to deal with.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2017-11-07 9:50 AM
Hope everything goes well.  :hug:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-07 10:44 AM
You are a very good sister. I hope she gets out quickly.

It might not be a bad idea to keep a bag packed in the car with things like toothbrush, change of underwear and socks, extra shirt, and so forth -- though knowing you there's a good chance you already do that. (And one with running gear in case you get summoned across the country to participate in a relay...:laugh:)
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-07 10:52 AM
:hug:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-11-07 11:52 AM
I'm so sorry to hear bout A.  I hope this is resolved quickly, for everyone's sake.
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-11-07 5:40 PM
Yes. You are good sister indeed.:hug::hug:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-07 7:04 PM
I'm sorry, hope things improve for A.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-11-08 6:08 PM
:sad:
Parent - - By flyingkiwi Date 2017-11-07 2:11 AM
<waves> :happy:
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2017-11-07 3:50 AM
Hey, fancy seeing you here. Are you ready for our date?:grin::cool:
Parent - By flyingkiwi Date 2017-11-07 12:13 PM
:grin: I am. Are you?
Parent - - By Gunna Date 2017-11-07 3:58 AM
How are things down under? I just talked to someone who is going to New Zealand on his Christmas vacation and I really envy him.
Parent - By flyingkiwi Date 2017-11-07 12:18 PM
Well it's nearly summer (not judging by todays weather though) and we've got a new government, weird arrangement that it is. Its been a strange year but I am walking the Milford track at Christmas which will be awesome :grin:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-11-07 8:42 AM
Hi!
Parent - By flyingkiwi Date 2017-11-07 12:26 PM
Hope A is doing better today and you dont get caught up at the hospital for too long :hug:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-11-07 9:19 AM
:grin:  Hi!
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-11-07 9:31 AM
I had a good trip home.  DS's dissertation defense went great!  :cool::cool:  The food was well received.  He somehow made extremely technical things understandable!  I am so proud of him!  His adviser introduced him and mentioned his penchant for food, and how 4 years ago he would send him a long text about leftover food in a conference room and DS would come quickly; but now it is down to a one word text (Food), and DS would beat him to the food, coming up 2 flights of stairs before his adviser could walk 20 yards to the conference room.  :laugh::laugh:  Later that day, he got an email requesting a phone interview with the company in Seattle.  So yesterday he had that and was told to expect an offer.  :grin::cool:  Everyone is saying it is the easiest job search ever; he submitted his resume to one company, flew to interview at 2 locations of said company, and now has a job offer pending.  It's all so exciting!  The hard part is that he is in love and his GF has just started med school in Omaha; so they will have a long distance relationship for a few years.  He is budgeting for monthly flights home. 

In other news, my legs are getting stronger and I can now do walking lunges and stepups on my usual tall step.  I have a cold from the trip and thus a high resting heart rate, in the upper 80s right now, so any attempt at riding the trainer leaves me in Zone 4 the whole time.  Should I be worried?  Is this normal?  It's exhausting enough that I am planning to not ride for a while until things get better.  Sleep is also difficult.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2017-11-07 9:51 AM
There's a whole lot of wonderful in that first paragraph!  Congratulations to your young man!
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-11-07 10:06 AM
Yeah for DS! :cool:

Also good to hear that your legs are getting stronger!  No clue about the HR thing.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-07 10:40 AM
:cool:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-07 10:46 AM
"The" company in Seattle? Good for DS!

Omaha to Seattle? Budget for Southwest and work towards A list and companion pass status.

I would expect that fighting off a virus could increase your resting heart rate.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-11-07 11:45 AM
Siemens in Issaquah.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-07 2:28 PM
Ah. Whereas I was thinking of the company that brought us the Blue Screen of Death...
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-11-07 9:43 PM
Glad it's not that one!
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-08 12:41 AM
There is no longer just one THE company in Seattle. In fact msft is technically in Redmond. But amazon is all over Seattle!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-11-07 11:53 AM
oh yay DS!  On so many fronts!!! How wonderful.
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-11-07 5:41 PM
So many good things about DS. Congratulations.:hug::hug:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-08 12:43 AM
Congrats to DS! If he wants Seattle help, let me know. And let me know when you will be in town. Seattle has some great hospitals for residencies, including the one MCF spent a lot of time at!
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-11-08 8:43 AM
yea for DS!
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-11-08 6:09 PM
Great news!
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-07 7:10 PM
Started a new job yesterday so I've been in orientation/training all day, two more days left. Then I will be working part time from home. I'm struggling, long commute, long work days, nasty virus plus not getting to sleep in combined with the dark and cold. This is making me realize why I hated these long hours. Luckily DH has been able  change his schedule a little this week and help run O to activities. Is it bad of me that I offered to work Thanksgiving to avoid the ILs? :mischief: I have to work at least one holiday the rest of this year and we are hosting Christmas Eve so that's out and typically ski on New Year's Day.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-08 8:21 AM
Not at all bad to work Thanksgiving to avoid the ILs. I would say Christmas is more important, especially with an elementary school age child.

As long as you weren't supposed to host Thanksgiving and are leaving DH and O to do all of it...
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-08 7:38 PM
Nope, even better ILs hosting Thanksgiving :grin:
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-11-08 8:00 PM
Definitely volunteer to work Thanksgiving. :grin:
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-07 10:53 AM
Not a good morning.

We picked up four kittens on Friday afternoon. Poinsettia, Petunia, Ponderosa, and Pinecone. They were listed as 5 week olds but no way were they that age, I think they were barely four. Two of them couldn't even lap food properly. One (Ponderosa) figured out lapping on Saturday, but the other (Petunia) never had an appetite. We syringe fed her formula and watered down kitten food. She didn't want to eat. She was playing and she used the box but Sunday she started shivering, heating pad was brought out, she huddled on that most of the day. Still did not want to eat at all. DD took her down to the clinic yesterday and they didn't think she was dehydrated, gave us an oral antifungal medication (not sure why) and told us to keep syringe feeding. She got more lethargic and could barely swallow, and she died early this morning.

The other three are healthy, happy, and hungry. (Not that they are wanting for food. They get plenty.)

I hate fading kitten syndrome.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-11-07 11:54 AM
:cry::hug: I'm sorry to hear about Petunia.
Parent - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-11-07 1:05 PM
Aw, that is so sad. You're so sweet for taking in these little kittehs.
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2017-11-07 2:31 PM
Poor Petunia. :cry:  When I was a kid, I had a doll I named Petunia.
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-11-07 5:40 PM
Oh no. So sorry.

I so admire the emotional strength required to continue to do this work, knowing that this happens from time to time. You are a hardy soul my friend.:hug::hug:
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-11-08 6:10 PM
I agree.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-11-07 6:22 PM
:cry::hug:  Poor kitty!
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-07 7:04 PM
Poor kitty :hug::sad:
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-11-08 9:09 AM
Poor thing! :hug: But at least she was well taken care of during her last days.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-11-08 12:32 PM
:sad:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Too Early Tuesday NRR