Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Systematic Saturday and Sunday RR and NRR
- - By moonglow9 Date 2017-11-04 9:45 AM
Trying to maintain some kind of system so things are a bit less crazy.... how go your RR and NRR Saturday and Sunday?
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-11-04 9:46 AM
RR here
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-04 10:50 AM Edited 2017-11-04 10:56 AM
I was supposed to do 8 as part of a self imposed taper for my half. Like any other addiction, I succumbed to the moment and did 11. :blush:

Actually, I did it primarily to support a friend training for a full who doesn't really relish long runs alone. I can run these 12-14 mile runs with her now but I hope I don't find myself a month from now running 20 spontaneous miles to keep her company.: pbbt:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2017-11-04 12:36 PM
:laugh:  Whoops, I accidentally ran 11 miles!  For a "friend."
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-11-04 4:43 PM
Eh, 11 is less than 13, so it's kind of a taper. :laugh:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-04 6:03 PM
Yes, it's was 13 2 weeks ago, 12 last week and 11 this week so...I consider it tapering.

I will be resting all this week for real.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-11-05 8:39 AM
I supported a friend marathon training and got up at 4am a few times to run with her so she wouldn't have to run alone from 4am to 5am then she finished her long run. Maybe you can do that for her, start out early with her or join her on the back end?
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-05 1:43 PM Edited 2017-11-05 1:52 PM
I usually meet her before the group run for "extra miles" but I think it's hard her to keep going after the group run when everyone has stopped running and she still has to keep going whlie they're eall enjoying coffee. Maybe I could offer to run the last miles (after the group run)rather than the 1st miles with her.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-04 1:46 PM
The days that I scrape the windows on the car and the swim in the sound make me feel badass! I drove a woman who lives in my neighborhood and doesn't have a car. She's 24 and totally awesome! She works for Starbucks as a barista and is working on how to spin that into a management job while she goes to school to be a teacher. She's also training for a 10k in 55 degree water!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-04 1:50 PM
That is an interesting combination of events.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-11-04 4:25 PM
:shocker!::cool:  Totally badass!
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-04 5:56 PM
That is badass!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-11-05 3:03 PM
very badass!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-04 8:34 PM
7.5 I think. Very easy run. Race tomorrow!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-05 6:01 AM Edited 2017-11-05 6:04 AM
I hope your race goes well and the weather is on your side or at least not too unbearable.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-05 9:43 AM
Good luck today.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-11-05 9:42 AM
Warm and humid. :mutmad:  It was nasty out this morning, but I guess November is too early to expect fall weather. :roll:  I was awake half the night with my GI system threatening mutiny, but since I wasn't sleeping anyway I figured I may as well run.  I went with the "start slow and taper off" strategy and ended up doing 15 very slow miles.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-05 9:44 AM
Sorry for a rough night but way to get the miles in.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-05 1:12 PM
That sounds like a long painful 15 miles but you got it done.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-05 1:37 PM
I ran 6 with the running group. We have had a fair number of people out for fall races and  winter is getting closer. I'm thinking about sending out a message to the regulars that I am considering some changes and want to get their opinions.

Something like this:

I am sending this to you because you are a regular runner at the Sunday group (even if you've been less regular) . We are coming to the end of fall race season and I am looking at possibly making some changes for winter. My goal is to appeal to new people as well as keep it fun for the regulars. Questions out there: Do you like the 7 AM start or would you prefer starting later at say 8 AM in the winter? Do you prefer shorter routes in the winter or do you think we should keep the 8 to 10 mile routes or longer going? Are there special runs or social media I can be doing to reach more people and add to the group? This is not a rhetorical question. I really want to know what you think so please feel free to message me privately. You do not have to respond right now, but  give it some thought. Thank you! I have enjoyed running with all of you and value your opinions.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-11-05 3:05 PM
yay Shalane Flanagan!  She's a year younger (I think just a year) than I am, and from the same area, so I recall seeing her run at state track meets.  She was, uh, faster than the other high schoolers :laugh:

DH is abed and doped up on Percocet after minor (but unpleasant) OP surgery Friday.  Thankfully my parents are here to help out with Miss P.  Got in a run this morning - 5.5 miles on trails - and have been alternating between entertaining P and doing reading for school.  My parents are babysitting this evening as I go to dinner with some friends - an old out of town friend is visiting and because my parents are here, I can go!  Yay!
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-05 7:00 PM
Ran the 5K and the congested head made it tough. I decided to just run and not look at watch. Finished 36 sec slower than same course in August so I can't be too unhappy! 3rd woman and 2nd AG, O also took 2nd AG (19 and under) and she was youngest runner.:grin:

I kind of want to find another race to end the year with a good race where I can push myself.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-05 8:41 PM
There seems to be a 5K every weekend so shouldn't be hard. What about a turkey trot? Oh and congratulations on the AG awards!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-11-06 7:11 AM
nice job to you AND O!  Wow!
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-11-04 9:46 AM
NRR here
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-11-04 9:48 AM
Trying to keep my sanity and some sort of system here on Saturday: I'm going through comments from the editors of my journal article and making changes.  Some are valid and improve things, some are truly mind-boggling. Must keep temper....
Parent - By SRoo Date 2017-11-04 10:31 AM
SERENITY NOW!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-04 12:56 PM
I need an editor most of the time, but just reading comments would be difficult without discussion.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-11-04 4:13 PM
Good luck!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-11-06 7:12 AM
:hug: I hear you sister!
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-11-04 10:31 AM
Shameless Mom Brag:  We asked Roolet how gym class was going.  He laughed and said his volleyball skills were improving but his team stunk.  Then he shrugged and said, well that was my fault because I got to pick the team and I chose this one kid with problems so he wouldn't be last.  :hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-04 10:59 AM Edited 2017-11-04 11:03 AM
Very good long range thinking leadership and prioritization skills your son has. :hug:He also sounds like a kind and thoughtful person.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-11-04 12:53 PM
:hug: Roolet is a good one.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-11-04 4:12 PM
I'd say Roolet is learning mad skills. :hug:
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-11-05 8:37 AM
:hug:
:hug:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-11-05 11:43 AM
:hug::hug:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-11-06 7:12 AM
good job Roolet :hug: the world needs more people like him!
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-11-04 4:27 PM
Lunch was survived.  They had some weekend brunch items, so I had a waffle, which was rather underwhelming.  Maybe not their fault as I don't tend to find a piece of bread masquerading as a meal as particularly whelming, but I can also be rather contrarian and hard to please when it comes to meat-based restaurants.  I've also been feeling awful today and am starting to think this is a trend.  I do long runs every other Sunday morning (and every other Saturday) and it seems like I often complain about feeling particularly terrible on Saturdays when I have a long run on Sunday.  WTF?  How is it possible to have a biweekly rhythm of feeling gross for no apparent reason?
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-05 1:12 AM
Waffles are yummy, but not a meal!  Protein needed!

And perhaps what up you have is anticipatory ick? Or is it that your body expects the sat run and is sad to not have had it!
Waffles sound good although not a meal, glad you found something to eat.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-05 9:42 AM
Watching NYC marathon on TV, cheering on Meb. We are running a 5K that starts at noon. I was hoping to race it but am dealing with a nasty head cold and pretty sure breathing will suck so no longer aiming for sub 21 just running.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-11-05 12:42 PM
I'm sorry you don't feel well. :sad:  I hope you enjoy the run anyway.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-05 1:13 PM
Hope you feel better and enjoy the run.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-05 11:15 AM
Hey...is anyone here living in the St. Louis area? Or even a bit east of St. Louis?

I am going to be driving to the East Coast and back this week to pick up Aretha and Lewis from Virginia. Wondering if any FEs are possible on the way. I am going to try to be east of St. Louis before stopping tomorrow night.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-05 10:46 PM
Not to the best of my knowledge and I've a pretty good idea of where all the regulars on Women's live. I think Cowbell was in that area but she hasn't posted in a while.

Have you cross posted on Marathons, Masters, L&O, and Beginners?
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-06 5:06 PM
Also thanks for going to get Aretha and Lewis. I have been worrying about them ever since you mentioned that XH won't be spending much time in that freezing cold house this winter and the cats will be there by themselves. Poor babies.

BTW we found that Best Western is the most cat-friendly chain of hotels around. Many hotels claim they are "pet friendly" when they really mean that they accept dogs. And that's all.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-11-05 11:59 AM
Whoot American Woman wins NYC! Awesome!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-05 10:46 PM
:laugh: Says the woman with the Canadian flag...:wink:
Parent - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-11-06 9:51 AM
I was super excited to see that! Go Shalane! Badass.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2017-11-06 6:09 PM
:cool:
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-11-07 3:58 AM
Yay! :cool:
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-06 1:05 PM
I did an impromptu 2-mile hike with the Geeklings this weekend when other plans fell through.  It was misty and really muddy, but neither one even hinted at being uncomfortable (they were dressed appropriately) and two miles went quickly without any whining in roughly an hour - I think they're ready to graduate to longer backpacking trips :cool:

I wish good, adjustable, backpacks for kids weren't quite so expensive, though :blush: Almost as much $$$ as a base model adult backpack.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-11-06 6:09 PM
:cool:  Nice job Geeklings! 

Seems like there should be used backpacks out there on eBay or a community yard sale or something.  Of course, that's what DH and I thought about those trail-a-bike things and we never found one.  Too late now!
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-06 9:03 PM
yeah, I've been scouring those sites for a long time.  The two good brands with multiple-adjustable options can fit a kid from ~10 all the way through adult height, really hard to find locally, but I'm looking.  I might just suck it up and buy an expensive backpack that they can use for 8 years, because I'm going to be dragging them along even if they don't do anything else.: pbbt:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-11-06 9:31 PM
Eight years of use isn't a bad lifespan, especially for children.  You'd probably spend 25% of that cost on a item that would last a year, which might be fine if you were a family who would do one hike then move on to other things.  If you buy them expensive packs, you might have to drag your Sherpas along for at least the next eight years. :laugh:
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-07 8:39 AM
Yeah, I know, I'm just choking on the price.

I also will have to be strict on weighing their packs every time - getting a 50L pack for an 8 year old may encourage the kid to fill the whole thing.  Their pack limits are ~9 lbs or less based on bodyweight/size at the moment : pbbt:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-07 10:42 AM
Good point. Just because it has the space doesn't mean you should fill it!

9 lbs? How much do their school backpacks weigh?

Are you an REI member? At least you would get a dividend back on it.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-07 10:50 AM
I am a member, but if I can find a better deal, I'll go elsewhere.  REI has changed some of their return policies to prevent abuse, and I find it annoying when I actually have a problem & am not abusing their system.

ETA - their school backpacks are pretty light.  They may take home one textbook & one novel, but my kids rarely have more than 30 minutes of homework (if they do it right away instead of dawdling)
Parent - - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2017-11-07 9:21 AM
I bought an Osprey (REI?) for Evan it wasn't too big but held enough for his scout campouts. Gavin is now using it. It is adjustable.
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-07 10:35 AM
Osprey Ace pack is one I'm looking at.  :happy:  Do you know what size it is (liters?) or what color it is (red/blue/green)?   the color seems to depend on the size.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-11-07 4:08 PM
Its the blue one. Blue bottom gray top. It came recommended for the Scouts by the leaders.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-11-07 9:58 PM
Thanks!
Up Topic Communities / Women / Systematic Saturday and Sunday RR and NRR