Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Warmer Thursday dailies
- - By judyruns Date 2017-11-02 6:27 AM
Where did reasonably warmer air come from? Not complaining!
Post.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-11-02 6:28 AM
Wednesday the temps were about 37°F. but there wasn’t much wind. The first two days of the week were really windy. I’m keeping up with my 50 minute trial so we shall see how it goes. DC and I volunteered 2.5 hours at the library in the afternoon. I was really wiped out from it.
Today I hope to do an outside run. It is warmer and has stopped raining, I think.
Safe and happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-02 7:20 AM
Sounds like our weather, rainy and low 30s should be nearly 40 tomorrow which I am thrilled about.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-02 9:39 AM
Not warmer here, which is fine by us. Cool and cloudy again today. Getting down the long sleeves at last!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-02 7:13 PM
:shocker!:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-02 7:14 PM
Sometimes I wish the weather came with a thermostat.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-02 7:20 AM
No running today but managed to get up for a morning workout. Strength, core and a yoga DVD. Now busy day ahead with work then getting O to dance right after work.

Thinking of doing a VO2 max test, I did one many years ago and didn't get great information. Has anyone found it helpful in helping with run training or just more fun info to have?
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-02 9:37 AM
Good workout! If you want a run, can you run while O is at dance?

No idea on the VO2 max test. What is that supposed to tell you and can you do anything to improve your VO2 capacity if it's not where you think it should be?
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-02 9:41 AM
I usually use dance to run on Tuesday and Thursday but have already run 4 days in a row so skipping tonight.
VO2 max can give training zones.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-02 7:18 PM Edited 2017-11-02 7:21 PM
I wish the need for rest and the opportunity to run were more in synch. So that the days I had time to run weren't times my body needed to rest and the days I was well rested and could run weren't days where the window to do so was small and early.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-02 7:48 PM
I know.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-11-02 8:20 PM
I found it helpful to do a concini test and set up training zones based on the results.  But then I would hate the limitations of zone 2 and below. : pbbt:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-11-02 7:46 AM
Oh my, left it all out on the trainer's floor today, metaphorically speaking.  Arms and abs with cardio between sets, and I had nothing left at the end.  Was difficult to open my car door when I was done.  Getting coffee to my lips takes effort an hour and a half later.  Was a great workout, would have said no way I could do it when we started if I'd known the entire plan.  But I did it.  He had me do dips with both feet up on a box so that when I went down I was lower than my feet.  Holy cow Batman that was hard.  But I did it.  The planks were hard to hold, partly due to arm fatigue and partly due to needing oxygen.  

At one point he told me to look in the mirror because he wanted me to see a visible muscle in my arm working.  We had a heartfelt discussion about how the mirror isn't my friend, and has never really been.  I love him for gently talking with me about it, and encouraging me to look at how hard my body is working and be proud of it.  I'm not there yet emotionally.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-02 9:35 AM
Any workout where it is hard to lift your arms to do your hair afterwards is a great workout!

I'm glad he was able to talk to you about body image.  It is something that we as women get a lot of crap about. No body is considered good enough. Hugs to you for talking about it.:hug:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-11-02 9:48 AM
The kicker is I remember feeling very fat growing up. But I look back at pictures and I was thin, but very well toned.  I was always taller than my peers (boys and girls) and since I played soccer year round my thighs were always defined and "big".  I got called Thunder Thighs and Amazon girl a lot.  Here I am 35-40 years later and I can't shake the body image issue from a time when I didn't freaking HAVE body issues.  Sigh.  What a mind fuck.

i think he understands better why I have no interest in him doing measurements every 6 weeks to see how my body is changing.  The changes won't ever be good enough.  I need to focus on just getting stronger, the rest will come, maybe.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-02 10:04 AM
I've been working a lot on body image the past few years and it has made a huge difference. I'm happy to talk about it on line or off, if you, or anyone, is interested. I don't want to force unwanted advice on anyone. Or pretend I have all the answers.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-11-02 11:28 AM
I was told I had thunder thighs too and like you I was NOT fat but thought I was (largely due to my brother telling me EVERY SINGLE DAY that I was). And it amazes me now the issues that I have from back then. I remember trying out for the drill team and one of the things they did was the wrist measurement vs weight comparison and coming up as "fat" for that because I have small wrists for my height. For the record I was 5'9" and 140 pounds at the time. NOT fat.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-02 2:27 PM
Empathy for all this. My mom, who is 5'2", has struggled all her life with loathing for her own size and body, courtesy of her mom equating being anything other than thin and tall as some kind of moral failure and deformity. She tried hard not to pass that on to her own kids, but she has always been judgy and weird about weight and fitness. I grew up feeling "fat" because I was short, curvy and muscular when girls were still expected to be stick-thin and non-athletic, but as time has gone on, I have come to love my shape and size and my physical ability as well. I do okay most of the time with my looks and size.

BUT...once you have that basic message of loathing instilled in you, it is hard to root out. Even my mom, after decades of trying to eradicate it, is now slipping back into open dislike for her shape and also making derogatory comments about people who are larger than she is that sound a lot like her mother.

It is an ongoing battle.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-02 9:38 AM
That sounds like a very good workout for your body and also a good reminder for your mind -- your body is strong and capable and worthy of appreciation. Good for him for working with you on that.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-02 9:42 AM
Great job!
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-02 12:59 PM
I think I like your trainer...! Wow.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-11-02 1:46 PM
Great workout! And kudos to the coach about body image work. :happy:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-02 7:24 PM
I feel that way after Monday nights. Best sleep ever. It's hard to do weights without looking in the mirror so I hope he is helpful in making this easier.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-02 1:00 PM Edited 2017-11-02 1:03 PM
SDO today. Happy for that. Leg and upper body muscles are all saying they were pretty tuckered out yesterday.

Wish us luck tonight. The smiting society is taking our harassment complaint seriously and we are talking with the investigator about it tonight. And meanwhile, steps have been taken to stop the harassment from continuing. T-bone and I have both been sleeping better since the daily stalking and threats have stopped.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-11-02 1:49 PM
That's awful that you both have been dealing with stalking and threats! What on earth are these people thinking? It's good that the society is interceding. I DO wish you much luck. :hug:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-02 2:13 PM
Yeah. This guy has major issues. I hope he gets appropriate justice.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-02 4:53 PM
It's mostly one guy, or all one guy? You're right, he needs help. Not to mention that if he is stalking and threatening two very intelligent people who both know a good bit about self-defense and aren't afraid to put it into practice then I question his reasoning and logic skills.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-11-02 5:16 PM
Wait, stalking and threats? :shocker!:  I knew there'd been some kind of falling out, but I didn't realize it'd gone that far. :mutmad:  I am glad that the smiting society is taking it seriously.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-02 7:26 PM
Sounds pretty intense. I am glad the society is taking it seriously. I hope you stay safe.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-11-02 3:43 PM
Got out for 5 lovely miles late in the day.  I found my gps watch yesterday in a bag of jewelry I hadn't unpacked yet. I thought maybe I'd lost the watch but no! So I got to track my pace today for the first time in a few months and I am not as slow as I thought I was :laugh: so that was a nice surprise.  Warm and sunny today.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-02 4:53 PM
Nice when you find something you thought you'd lost!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-02 7:28 PM
Shopping your closet. That's quite a find.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-11-02 5:44 PM
Does someone here have a cat named Ed?
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-02 6:14 PM
We did. Ed left us earlier this year.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-11-02 6:57 PM
Oh.  Sorry to hear that.

I have a mildly amusing story regarding your former cat.  And me, putting a paw in my mouth.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-03 9:38 AM
No worries -- it's not a painful subject. She had a good life and it was time for her to go.

Story? Unless my memory is really going you never met Ed...the only time we have met is in Pittsburgh and I know I didn't pack Ed for that trip!
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-11-03 11:02 AM
I was invited to lunch by a retired English professor and his wife.  They are a delightful couple, always full of book recommendations and travel stories   While I was there, a calico cat jumped into my lap, settled down, and began to purr.  I stroked her a bit, we talked about cats, and calicos, and the woman asked me if I remembered meeting Ed.  "I don't remember for sure," I replied, thinking that maybe I had met the cat on a previous visit.  "What color is he?"  The couple just froze, and asked what I meant.  "Wait," I said, "Are we still talking about cats?"  :blush::cry:  Well of course it turns out that Ed is a human that owns a cat!  :laugh:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-11-03 11:05 AM
Yes, because the first question you always ask when talking about someone is "what color is he?":laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-11-03 1:00 PM
And now I find out that the cat Ed is a female.  :cry:  So many assumptions!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-03 1:21 PM
Funny story!

Ed was named Ed because the pound had her labeled as a male. Per the alphabet this one was an E, so we dubbed "him" Edmund after the closing line from Act 1 of "King Lear":
"Now, gods, stand up for bastards!" And Ed was already behaving like one.

Then the vet told us Edmund was a female. Too late to change the name!
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-02 9:40 AM
Very short run today because I turned the alarm off and went back to sleep, to be woken half an hour later by Fernanda puking on my pillow. After I had dashed out to the kitchen for paper towels, run back, and cleaned up the mess, I figured I might as well get dressed and run a little. So 1.5 miles outside. That probably burned off, oh, one of those tiny square Snickers bites.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-11-02 9:42 AM
Sorry for the not so pleasant wake up!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-02 4:56 PM
So. Was. I.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-11-02 1:00 PM
Bleah! On your pillow...!!! :cry:
One of the prime arguments for always having spare sheets clean and ready to put on. I understand it's so much easier to pull them off, wash them, dry them, and put them back on the bed rather than have to fold the stupid fitted sheet, but a spare set can be invaluable in cases like this.

Poor girl, she is old. But still, the entire bedroom floor is laminate, as is the hallway, the bathroom and kitchen are tile...did she have to pick the bed?
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-11-02 1:36 PM
:laugh:  Of course it was on your pillow!  The cat isn't stupid, you know.
Fernanda? No, definitely not stupid.

Iota, OTOH...:laugh:
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-11-02 1:48 PM
Great work on the 1.5 miler. It also helps to clear out the negatives we have to deal with.
Cats seem to find the "right" place to do that. They select! :sad:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-02 4:54 PM
Yes. Puking on tile is against the Code of the Cat. One must run to something upholstered, carpeted, or otherwise difficult to clean. :mutmad:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-02 4:57 PM
Gym at lunch. 6.3 miles.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-02 7:31 PM
See I knew you would get a better run in.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-11-02 7:30 PM
I hate it when I embrace sleep only to be rudely torn from its arms.:roll:That's unfortunate. Hope you got the rest of your run later.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-03 9:38 AM
I did!
Up Topic Communities / Women / Warmer Thursday dailies