Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Share your soup recipes!
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-11-01 3:35 PM
It's getting cooler and I love easy and warm dinners in the fall/winter seasons.

Blazer shared the dill pickle soup recipe and I thought it'd be a good idea for a thread. :hug:
Tonight I'm making pasta fagioli soup. It's easy and wonderful!
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-11-01 4:13 PM
Hey, I found that canned ham that we've had forever, and I put it in a pot of boiling hot water, and guess what we're having?

Hot ham water.

So watery, and yet there’s a smack of ham to it!
Parent - - By foggydoggy [us] Date 2017-11-01 4:16 PM
wouldn't that basically be pig sweat?????
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-11-01 4:19 PM
I'm the random newbie that followed you on insta.
Parent - - By foggydoggy [us] Date 2017-11-01 4:37 PM Edited 2017-11-01 4:40 PM
Hi Red Raider!  My sweetie is Italian and her mom makes wonderful soups like fagoli.  My favorite is Jumbaat (which is basically what it sound like--an Italian Jumbulaya) its delicious but the recipe is a closely gaurded family secret (Nat's mom does not trust my middle american cooking skills yet.... but I'm working on it.)
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-11-02 6:01 AM
That sounds delicious. :hug:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-11-01 4:19 PM
That's disgusting. Leave this thread. :mutmad:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-11-02 7:28 AM
:laugh:
Parent - - By foggydoggy [us] Date 2017-11-01 4:27 PM
Split pea,  Dried peas, pieces of ham, one carrot, one onion, salt and pepper to taste. Add water to crock pot go to work and leave it. Best served with fresh sourdough  That's about the extent of my soup skills.  When I want soup I usually visit the thai place right around the corner who does a much better job than I do.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-11-02 3:59 PM
:grin::grin:
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-11-01 6:22 PM
My favorite and the best soup is my Polish grandmother's soup, which my family calls Basia (Polish for grandma) Soup. I won't give a detailed recipe because it's sort of complicated and sort of a family secret although I've shared the details with friends. But I'll give the basics. It's a chicken-tomato-cream soup and absolutely wonderful anytime but especially in chilly or cold weather.

Boil a whole roasting chicken in a big pot with cut-up veggies including most importantly carrots, celery and parsnips (parsnips is the secret ingredient). Optional are onions, parsley and other things Basia didn't include. Salt early, black pepper late after several hours of simmering. Take out the chicken and strain out the veggies...the soup itself has no solids although you can add in chunks of chicken or veggies when serving if you want...Basia always just served the liquid soup over noodles and like I said, that was the best soup ever. Anyhow, mix together tomato puree (Basia used to make her own, sieving fresh tomatoes, although I've only used canned) with sour cream, lots of each...minimum of 28 oz puree and 2/3 pint of sour cream, depending on the volume of the chicken stock.

This is the only tricky part. You need to add the tomato-sour cream mix gradually to keep the sour cream from curdling. If the chicken stock has cooled it's not as crucial but if hot, you need to put a ladle of soup into the tomato-sour cream mix, then a bit from there back into the pot, then back again, then back again etc. until the temp has been equalized and there are no curds. When you reheat the soup, you never want to boil it because that will curdle it too...it only should be reheated to steaming, not boiling.

Served over fine-cut egg noodles. (Basia used to make her own from scratch but the bagged dried noodles work fine.) This recipe takes hours because of the cooking but the prep time isn't bad and your house smells great all day.

The pasta fagioli soup sounds really good. If it is, please share the recipe. Thanks for the thread. :hug:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-11-02 6:02 AM
Wow, Basia Soup sounds really great!! Great memories too :hug::hug:
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2017-11-02 2:29 PM
This is so interesting.  My family on my Dad's side is Polish (Jewish).  The broth part sounds exactly like a Jewish grandmother's chicken soup (I agree that parsnips are the secret ingredient!! but I also put in parsley and dill, onions and celery.)   It is commonly served with egg noodles, just like your Basia's soup.   The Tomato/sour cream thing is where the cultures depart because adding that makes it not kosher but I'm willing to be a sinner and give it a try. : pbbt:

Please PM me with all secret ingredients immediately.   :cool:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-11-02 3:56 PM
:laugh: Turns out there's no need to pm...I wound up going through the detail, including the secret ingredient parsnips as well as tips on the process. I think Basia just used celery, carrots and parsnips as veggies for the broth (although she might have used whole peeled onions too but that might have come from my mom:wtf:) and I think just salt and pepper for the spices but somehow I've never been able to make as good a soup as hers. Even adding fresh parsley and dill with the simmering stock. It might be the fresh homemade tomato puree that made the difference. Or anticipating the soup on the 8-9 hour drive from PA to Hamtramck MI. :laugh:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-11-02 6:52 AM
Loaded Baked Potato Soup. I make this several times during the fall/winter months. Served with some tasty bread or rolls makes for a nice meal.

Only change I make is my wife makes a face about heavy cream so I cut that out, and make another 1/2 cup of roux in it's place, and typically just blend about 1/2 the soup so it's more chunky.

Linkie: https://www.justataste.com/easy-loaded-baked-potato-soup-recipe/

Text:

LOADED BAKED POTATO SOUP
yield: 10 TO 12 SERVINGS prep time: 30 MIN cook time: 35 MIN
INGREDIENTS:

8 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 cup diced celery
1 1/2 cups diced onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 small Russett potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
Shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
Sour cream, for garnish
Sliced scallions, for garnish

Equipment: hand blender or blender

DIRECTIONS:

In a Dutch oven or large soup pot, cook the bacon over medium heat until all the fat has rendered. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and drain off all but 1/4 cup of the drippings.

Reduce the heat to medium-low and then add the celery and onions to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes.

Increase the heat to medium and then add the cubed potatoes, stirring to combine. Cook the potatoes for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the chicken stock. (The chicken stock should just cover the potatoes, so depending on your pot, you may have to add more stock.) Bring the soup to a simmer then cover the pot and cook the soup for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender.

In a separate medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, whisk in the flour to make a roux. Stir the roux constantly for 1 to 2 minutes until it's pale golden then whisk in the milk. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook it, stirring constantly, until it's thickened slightly. (It should be the consistency of gravy.) Whisk the milk mixture into the potato mixture and cook the soup for 5 minutes over medium-low heat.

Remove the soup from the heat. Transfer 1/3 of the soup to a medium bowl. Using a hand blender, purée the soup that's remaining in the pot until it's smooth. (See Kelly's Notes.) Return the reserved 1/3 of the soup to the pot, stirring to combine.

Stir in the heavy cream and season the soup with salt and pepper. When ready to serve, top each bowl of soup with the cooked bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and scallions.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-11-02 7:57 AM
Good one!!! Thanks!
Parent - - By h3ather (Nice Tips) [us] Date 2017-11-02 1:05 PM
This isn't technically a soup, but 36YO (yep he's 36 now) calls it "shrimp soup"  It's also low carb.

2-3 bell peppers
2 med zucchini
1 onion
3-4 cloves garlic
i can diced tomatoes
1 pound raw shrimp
1 package kielbasa (or any sausage really)
3 tblsp old bay
salt and pepper to taste
chicken broth (the more chicken broth you use, the more soup-like it is)

cook all the vegetables to preferred doneness, i do onions and garlic first, then peppers and zucchini, then tomatoes (i start with olive oil, which isn't listed above)
add tomatoes,  sausage and broth and seasonings an cook through
add shrimp and simmer until shrimp is done
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-11-02 3:58 PM
:grin: Sounds good!
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-11-06 11:34 AM
I do something similar in aluminum foil packets over a campfire.:cool:
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2017-11-02 1:25 PM
go to store
go down soup isle
buy can
go home
open can
pour in pot
heat
pour in bowl
eat
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2017-11-02 1:56 PM
Soup Isle sounds like a terrible place to go on vacation
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2017-11-02 2:31 PM
I wonder if it is a tax haven?
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-11-02 3:44 PM
Yes.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-11-06 1:06 PM
Had a can of Progresso New England Clam Chowder last night.  Mixed in about a half-can of whole milk.  Added saltines, salt and pepper, and YUMMY!!!
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-11-05 8:43 AM
I made this super yummy soup but it turns out that it is quite um...FULL OF FIBER so don't eat a lot of it at once....

No real exact quantities, sorry.

I used a wok to cook the bacon onion and garlic and veggies ahead of time then put into the broth.

So I did cook about a l/4 lb of bacon first for flavor. I guess if you are vegetarian this isn't going to work but it helps with flavor

Broth - I just used Pacific Veggie Broth and 4 cups of water simmer, along with soy sauce which gave it almost a miso broth flavor

Bacon
Onion
garlic
tofu
kale
cabbbage
bok choy
spinach
mushrooms

Stir fry the veggies to about half cooked then throw in broth and simmer.

Even my kid liked it
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-11-06 11:30 AM
Butternut, Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Stew

Creamy winter squash, sweet potatoes and red lentils are cooked in a creamy coconut-tomato broth, and enlivened by spicy turmeric, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, garlic and a touch of apple cider vinegar. Best when allowed to sit for a day.

2 Tbs. olive oil

1 onion, medium, diced

4 cloves garlic, minced

3 c. diced butternut squash (1/2-inch dice)

1 large sweet potato, diced in 1/2-inch dice

salt

3 c. vegetable broth

14 oz. can diced tomatoes

14 oz. can coconut milk

1/2 c. dried red lentils, picked over and rinsed

3 Tbs. tomato paste

1 1/2 tsp. turmeric

1 1/2 tsp. cumin

1/2 tsp. chili powder

1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

black pepper, to taste

3 tsp. apple cider vinegar

1 bunch chard, stemmed, chopped

Directions: Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, and sauté the onion and garlic for 3-5 minutes, until softened. Stir in the squash and sweet potato and add a pinch of salt. Sauté for 5 minutes. Pour in the broth and stir in the tomatoes, coconut milk, lentils, tomato paste, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine, then increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, stir, and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, until the squash and sweet potato are tender. Stir in the vinegar and chard. Continue to cook until the chard is wilted. Taste, and adjust seasonings as needed. Enjoy warm. Makes 6 servings.
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-11-02 8:02 AM
Pasta Fagioli soup -- my mother in law shared with me

1 lb Italian sausage (casing removed)
1 small onion, chopped
1 1/2 t olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
4 c water
1 can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained (I always use 2 cans)
2 chicken bouillon cubes
3/4 c uncooked elbow macaroni
1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 t pepper
1 cup spinach, cut
shredded parm

In a large saucepan, add oil and cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. In same pan, saute onion until tender. Add garlic, saute 1 minute loner.

Add the water, beans, tomatoes, bouillon cubes, macaroni and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until mac is tender.

Reduce heat to low and stir in sausage and spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted. Garnish with parmesan.

:hug:
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2017-11-02 2:32 PM
that sounds great and great thread idea!!  I'm going to print these out.  :hug:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-11-02 3:35 PM
That looks wonderful and we'll definitely do it...thanks for the recipe and thread! :hug:
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-11-02 8:50 AM
I actually tore this recipe out of a Runner's World magazine several years ago. It is super easy and yummy!

Spicy Sausage and Mushroom Soup
3/4 cup wild rice
1 T olive oil
1 lb spicy sausage (I have used Hot Links and chicken sausage with success)
2 8-oz packages sliced mushrooms (I use a giant package if mushrooms and slice them myself, you can’t have too many mushrooms!)
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
4 cups chopped spinach
1/4 cup white wine (I don't use this and don't substitute anything)
6 cups chicken broth
ground black pepper

Cook rice according to package directions.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook for 5-6 minutes or until brown. Remove the sausage to a plate (and try not to eat all the sausage while you are cooking the rest of the soup :roll:).

In the same pot, add the mushrooms and cook for 5-8 minutes until soft and browned. Add the water, scraping up the sausage bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add the thyme, pepper flakes, spinach, and wine. Cook for 4 minutes or until the spinach is wilted. Add the broth and simmer for 15 minutes. Season to taste with pepper.

When the rice is cooked, stir it into the soup along with the sausage. Simmer for 5 minutes or until hot.

Soup for you!
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2017-11-02 2:30 PM
that sounds good!!! I'll give it a try.  I might skip the sausage though and see if it has enough umami from the mushrooms.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-11-02 2:38 PM
I think it would still be really good without the sausage!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-11-02 3:58 PM
:grin: I don't like mushrooms but this sounds like it would be good without!
- - By gadget girl Date 2017-11-02 2:17 PM
This is my favorite soup and is vegan!  i created the recipe trying to replicate soup at my favorite Turkish place in NY

TURKISH RED LENTIL SOUP

1 small onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped,
2 red bell peppers chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 1/2 C red lentils, rinsed
1/4 C barley, rinsed
1/4 C tomato paste
1 can of Rotel
1 bunch italian parsley, chopped
1 bunch fresh mint, chopped
juice from 2 large lemons
6 cups veggie stock or water
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 pinch of whole cumin seeds
salt and pepper
a big squeeze of harissa paste (optional)

combine veggies in a pot with some olive oil and dash of cumin seeds and smoked paprika.  Cook until lightly browned. Add broth, lentils, barley, tomato paste, rotel (if you like things spicy :evil::evil:, otherwise omit),  and herbs.  Bring to boil and simmer on low heat.  Add lemon juice and more water if it isn't soupy (lentils absorb a lot of water).  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Also, for an added kick, I add a squeeze of harissa paste.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2017-11-02 3:59 PM
:mischief: Sounds good!
The last thing I tried with lentils was a bust so I'm going to have to try this.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-02 4:37 PM
i make one similar to this but it also has 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots in it.   So good!
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2017-11-06 1:21 PM
wow, that sounds intriguing!! I looked it up and it seems that the addition of dried apricots makes it Armenian rather than Turkish  I will give it a go.  :cool:
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-11-06 1:44 PM
:cool:  be careful though - it can get rather sweet in a hurry.  Maybe start with 1/2 the amount of apricots and add more if it needs it.
- By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-11-02 6:32 PM
My MIL's albondigas:
Albondigas (Mexican meatball soup)

6 lbs. ground beef
3 eggs
1 bunch fresh cilantro (AKA coriander)
2 smallish onions or 1 monster one
4 cloves garlic
3 large carrots or 1 ½ c. baby carrots
3-4 stalks celery
(This sounds like a lot but it makes a triple batch of meatballs)
1 can chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes
¾ c. rice
1 c. frozen corn or 1 14 oz. can corn
(These 4 ingredients are for a single batch of soup)

Puree the cilantro, onions, garlic, carrots, and celery in the food processor until chopped fine, or chop very fine with a knife.  Mix the beef, eggs, and cilantro mixture in a large bowl.  Shape into balls about the size of a walnut.  Divide into thirds.  Put 2/3 of the meatballs in two freezeable containers with lids and pop into freezer, so you have the makings of 2 more meals.  (Or you can cut the recipe to 2 lbs ground beef, 1 egg, half a bunch of cilantro, 1 onion, 1 garlic clove, 1 carrot, 1 stalk celery and not have any meatballs stashed in the freezer.)

The morning of the day you want this, put the rice in the bottom of the slow cooker.  Put the corn on top of that.  Put the meatballs on the corn.  (If frozen, just dump them out of the container in a big lump on top of the corn.)  Pour the tomatoes and juice over the meatballs.  Rinse the tomato can with some of the broth and pour that in, then add the rest of the chicken broth.  The slow cooker should be just about full.  If not, add more water.  Put the cover on and turn it to low, leave it for the day.  Serve that evening.

If you’re not using a slow cooker, use a big pot and simmer on the stove for about 1-2 hours, until the meatballs are done and the rice is soft, stirring at intervals and adding water if necessary.

Serve with bread or tortillas or quesadillas.  Can be frozen in portion sizes and reheated in the microwave
- - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-11-06 11:13 AM
I found this recipe for Gumbo online and it's the best it's super easy and always turns out amazing. My husband loves it.

1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
1 large onion, diced
1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1⁄2 cup chopped celery
1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1⁄2 cup sliced scallion
6 cloves minced garlic
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon creole seasoning (Tony Chachere's)
2 lbs any combo of sausage or 2 lbs shrimp or 2 lbs chicken (etc.)

In a large stockpot combine oil and flour and cook over medium-high heat about 15 minutes or until it turns very dark brown, almost between brown and black.
You will have to stir almost constantly.
This is called the roux.
Add onions, parsley, celery, bell peppers, scallions and garlic and cook about 10 more minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring regularly.
Add broth, salt, and creole seasoning.
(If you like you may also add a 10 oz package of frozen okra at this point, but I despise the stuff).
Cover pot and simmer 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
Add your chosen combination of meat at this point and simmer an additional 10 minutes (if using whole pieces of crab like claws, or blue crab halves cook a little longer to ensure they're cooked all the way.).
Ladle over steamed white rice.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-11-06 11:41 AM
That sounds really good.
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2017-11-06 11:42 AM
Gumbo. More like Dumbo when you make it
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-11-06 11:48 AM
:cry:
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-11-06 12:46 PM
Haha not even the beard could mess up this recipe it's souper easy :wink::roll:: pbbt:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-11-06 1:17 PM
I COOK GOOD.:mutmad:
- By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-11-06 11:32 AM
There's still plenty meat on that bone. You take this home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato... baby you got a stew going!
- By mutiger [us] Date 2017-11-06 3:40 PM
you guys don't even want to know my sup recipes. They are delicious to me....but probably not for your palette.
- By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-10 10:18 AM
3 T butter
2 t curry powder
1 t cinnamon
1 t ginger
1 t paprika
1/2 t salt
1/4 t chili powder or more depending on spice
3 grated carrots
2 c chicken broth
1 15 oz can coconut milk
shredded chicken (I bought the pre shredded box at CM)
cooked rice (or I used cauliflower rice and added it after it was done)
2 T lime juice
1 T soy sauce

In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat, then stir in the spices and let cook for about 30 seconds, stirring frequently. Add the carrots, stir to combine and let cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 min until the carrots are soft.

Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a low boil, then let simmer for about 5 min. Salt and pepper to taste.

I topped mine with cilantro.

Also funny fact, I accidentally grabbed the turmeric instead of the curry powder. I figured it out later and added the curry ... but the turmeric was A-ok and it has a lot of health benes so it worked out :cool:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Share your soup recipes!