Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Monday NRR
- - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-10-30 2:21 PM
No NRR (or are we combining NRR and dailies)?
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-10-30 2:25 PM
O wanted to text DH to call her, so she grabbed my phone, didn't look at contact name, and texted someone not her dad that she loved him and to call her :shocker!::laugh: My phone erased contact names so I was a little panicked at first that she texted a client, luckily is was a friend who also has kids and got a good laugh out of it.
She is feeling a little better and is bored now and not happy that I have spent the day working, cleaning and getting dinner ready. Welcome to the reality of my days home!
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-10-30 3:03 PM
Oops. :laugh:  I'm glad the mistaken text was sent to someone with a sense of humor.

I hope O is feeling well enough to go to school tomorrow. :hug:
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-10-30 3:34 PM
I need home improvement advice Swandive! Happy Birthday. If I want to cut wood to make things, would a table saw be the best choice? I want to make a headboard and cut 5 inch pieces of wood, which are about an inch thick. I'm also thinking of future moulding, maybe a coffee table. What tools are a necessity? Would you use nails or screws? Thank you! DH has some tools, but I am trying to do things without him. We don't own a table saw, but have some other electric/power cutter.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-10-30 4:47 PM
It really depends on what you are wanting to cut.  The best thing is to have all of the saws. : pbbt:  Different saws are best for different purposes.  A table saw is best for ripping lumber, e.g. making a board that is 5-1/2" wide only 5" wide.  A miter saw is good for making precise square and angled cuts, e.g. cutting a 72" board down to 67".  A circular saw can perform a lot of the functions of both a table saw and a miter saw, but it's a handheld saw so it's difficult to get the same precision.  If you're going to do trim carpentry (e.g. crown moulding), a miter saw is almost essential.  That said, there are various blade sizes, as well as bevels and slides.  A single bevel, non-sliding miter saw isn't going to cut particularly wide/thick boards, but a saw that does all of the things is going to be heavy, expensive, and may be more than you need.  I can do an awful lot with a circular saw, but it takes a bit of skill to use.  Think of a piano versus a violin.  A piano is big and bulky but, assuming it's in tune, it's going to give you the right note when you hit the key even if you haven't a clue of how to be a really good pianist.  A violin is light and small and can make amazing music, but if you don't know what you're doing it's likely to sound awful.

Long story short, from what you are describing, I'm guessing that a miter saw might be a good tool for you, but a double bevel sliding compound miter saw might be overkill.  If you aren't in a huge hurry, I'd try to figure out what you want then look for deals around Black Friday.  You'll likely need a halfway decent saw with a halfway decent blade (not top of the line necessarily, but most saws will likely come with a crappy blade so figure the cost of a blade into the total cost).  As far as nails versus screws, screws are more expensive (but not prohibitively so) but tend to hold better, so long as they aren't visible.  Nails are used in a lot of applications where they'll be visible because it's a lot easier to camouflage a nail hole.

BTW, Ana White has a good website for (free) woodworking plans.  A lot of them are more basic, accessible plans than you're going to get from Fine Woodworking magazine or wherever, that's going to expect you to have a biscuit joiner and a pneumatic crown stapler.  It might be worth looking at some of the plans on Ana White (or just Google "headboard diy" or "coffee table plans") and see what sort of tools people are using to complete their projects.

I'm happy to give more advice as needed. :happy:
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-10-30 5:36 PM
Thank you! I found out we have a circular saw. I think it was the one I tried to use once but had difficulty holding the wood and cutting. It sounds like the miter saw is what I need. Maybe eventually getting both.:blush: I have given up on having DH do stuff around the house. He is super handy, but drags his butt on everything and never finishes anything. We have floor saddles that need to be cut down too. I will check out the Ana White site. Thank you so much!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-30 8:34 PM
Pity you two aren't closer. I have a lot of the tools and no idea how to use them, DH was the tool buyer but he didn't do much after, oh, 1994 or so.

It took me ages to get the LFL finished because I had no idea what I was doing.

Jeannie, you might try your local adult school or Parks & Rec or a woodworkers club, or Home Depot and Lowe's often have workshops on Saturday mornings where you can go and learn more about how to use tools. (They want to sell you some, remember, so they have a vested interest in having you learn how to use them!)
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-10-30 8:46 PM
Classes are a great idea, though I haven't looked into what might be available.  I do wonder if liability issues might be a bit of an obstacle.  At the very least, I would bet there are some good tutorials about woodworking basics on YouTube.
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-10-31 5:51 AM
I was thinking of looking into classes at Home Depot or Lowes. Not sure if they have any. DH can do anything, but unfortunately he is too grumpy for me to deal with and would take forever to help me.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-31 6:32 PM
Good idea -- if you ask they might think about scheduling particular classes.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-10-31 7:57 AM
our local community college has woodworking classes that include assistance to finish a specific project within the scope of what you learn.  They let the students use the tools, shop, and storage for works in progress on campus.

Also, you could look into a Makerspace for classes.  That's more hit-or-miss
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-10-31 8:00 AM
Speaking of woodworking... the local scoutlette camp ranger mentioned that they have benches in need of repair.  These are the simple metal frame park benches with wooden slats for seat/back, so the work will be cutting, sanding, and drilling mounting holes in the slats, then bolting them in place.  Very minor effort.   I've volunteered my troop to help :-)  The girls will have a blast working on 'their' camp.
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-10-31 8:08 AM
I love that the girls will be helping maintain their camp!  The season our boys were homed out of an abandoned city park and they had to work their rear ends off to make the field playable is one they still all talk about fondly.  It was a lot of work, but boy where they proud when it looked like a baseball field again!
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-10-31 8:56 AM
The area we're working in is the less-developed camping sites, the benches are one project, painting a 3-sided pavilion and a latrine are also on the menu.   My thought, in addition to helping maintain the camp, is giving them some ownership in that part of the property.  I've just gotten permission to run tent-camping in the location, and primitive camping trials next may/june.   If the trials go well, we may get permission for tent/primitive camping even during the summer camps, when the other sites have historically been closed off to individual group usage. 

I'm optimistic - the BSA announcement a couple weeks ago has fueled more evaluation of rules and regulations within our area & some new opportunities have appeared - outdoor and adventure type activities are being considered when previously they had been dismissed without further thought.  Within 48 hours of that announcement, there was an approved small caliber firearms class set up for middle and high school girls.  A year ago, I would never have gotten permission for true primitive camping on council-owned property (catholes and filter your own water), much less permission to camp DURING the day camps, even though we are going to be almost 1/2 mile from the nearest building used by the day camps.  I'm hoping this trend continues.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-31 6:33 PM
Good job! Glad the scoutlettes will get a chance to do things they wouldn't have previously.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Monday NRR