Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Weekend rr/nrr
- - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-28 2:01 PM
Seriously? I have to start this at 1pm pacific?
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-28 2:03 PM
3/4 of a mile in Puget Sound. The sky was clear and so was the water. Spectacular swim! A few people wore costumes, including one friend who had a fish mask. We got some awesome photos. Played around a lot.

We generally deck change after swimming and I've gotten pretty good at it, but today I totally flashed my left breast at one of the other swimmers.  We had a good laugh at that!
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-10-28 6:04 PM
Sounds great although as a no swimmer really tough! :laugh::shocker!: on the flashing
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-28 7:27 PM
Swimming and costumes?:laugh:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-28 8:59 PM
"Deck change"? Changing on deck without revealing one's all to any passerby?

Nice swim!
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-30 9:59 AM
The goal is to not reveal ones all. :blush: The bathrooms at the beach are small and filthy, so we deck change.  A lot of people have specific jackets that make it easier to do this, perhaps it is time for me to invest in one!
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-10-29 2:46 AM
Sounds like a great swim! I need to go back to our local beach, I went last March and it's much warmer now. Need to get rid of this cold though first.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-29 8:27 AM
Great swim! You are a strong swimmer to do that distance. :happy:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-10-29 11:14 AM
That is an impressive swim, especially in the cold ocean. And costumes...!!! :laugh:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-10-29 12:21 PM
The photos were great. :laugh:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-30 10:08 AM
:cool:
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-10-28 6:03 PM
Kickboxing thus morning, felt good to be back after so much time off for marathon training.

Busy day, O was part of a photo shoot for kids yoga then we did family pictures (a couple posted on FB for those on there). Now relaxing watching a movie.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-28 7:26 PM
It's always nice to be outside the confines of a training plan.

Enjoy your evening.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-28 9:00 PM
So no race for a while? I'm sure they were glad to see you back at kickboxing.

Hope the pictures turned out well (not on FB).
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-10-28 9:42 PM
Maybe a 5k next week but nothing big.
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-10-29 3:03 AM
Nice pics, saw them on Facebook. :cool:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-28 6:59 PM
Ima little late to the party but it's been a nonstop day. Getting ready to have a little wine and pizza and relax. I have a 12 mile long run at the group run tomorrow, but it's a distance I've covered before.

I had an 8k (roughly 5 miles)  and I ran well. Faster than last year but 18 seconds slower than 2,years ago. I ran it in 41:13 which gave me second in AG 19/126 women so a decent race. Had fun with the group. Lots of laughs and pictures. People gave me heck because I wore shorts in 32 degree weather. I get cold, but my legs fare better than the rest of me.:blush:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-10-28 7:02 PM
Enjoy the pizza and wine, sounds like my evening.:happy: have a good run tomorrow.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-28 9:01 PM
Wine and pizza? Sounds good. When should we be over?

Nice time! Good for you. And I would wear shorts in 32 degree weather. Legs that are working don't get as cold!
Parent - - By Gunna Date 2017-10-29 3:03 AM
Funny how some body parts stay warmer than others. For me it's my hands, they get crazy hot when I hike or run, even in freezing weather.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-29 11:28 AM
For me hand warmers and mittens are my favorite winter gear. My hands never seem to get warm.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2017-10-29 12:10 PM
:cool:
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-10-29 12:23 PM
Wine and pizza sounds perfect. :happy:

Who doesn't wear shorts when it's 32 degrees? : pbbt:  (I do.  I might switch to capris in the 20s.)
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2017-10-28 7:17 PM
I ran 14 this morning, but I am a concert right now so I will report in later. :happy:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-28 9:01 PM
Enjoy the concert. Yay for 14!
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-10-29 2:59 AM
Hope you had fun at the concert! :grin:
Parent - - By Gunna Date 2017-10-29 2:59 AM
Came back from a wonderful trip to Italy about a week ago. We flew to Sicily, spent a couple of days in Palermo, then drove along the north coast and took the ferry from Messina to Calabria and spent some days there before returning to Sicily. Last year I fell in love with Sicily and now I added the "toe" of Italy to that love affair! We stayed in a couple of wonderful small towns, with beautiful old neighborhoods and beaches. The weather was perfect for us and I think we have seldom been more relaxed, especially H. Wish I could stay in that state, because my body felt so much better, but there has been a lot going on this week and I came back with a bad cold for some reason.

Work has been busy but good. We had a dress-up party on Friday which was fun. I work with some really good people. :cool:

Yesterday we had elections since our government fell due to a scandal, like our second last one. The party I belong to did much better than last time which I'm happy with, but it surprises me that men who are known to have lied and cheated can get so many votes. :mutmad: I don't understand my fellow citizens sometimes. Anyhow, we now have no fewer than 9 parties in parliament so establishing a new government will be complicated.

Dad is doing great after a bad spell in June, he even voted yesterday. My brother moved to Iceland last month so now there are 3 of us taking care of him so that makes things easier.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-10-29 8:39 AM
Glad you had the trip and party. :grin: After a while, it seems that most the ones in government offices have lied and cheated but still get the votes. :mutmad:
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-10-30 3:12 AM
Yes, that guys that were ousted got way too many. :mutmad:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-10-29 11:16 AM
Saw about the scandal and election; I hope the new government does better. Loved your travel photos!!! And good news about your dad, and that you have more family in place to look after him going forward.
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-10-30 3:13 AM
I only hope we get a different government now, the situation is very tricky. Thanks about the photos! It's such a beautiful area.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-29 11:38 AM
I would think going to a different place with only problems that don't affect u while ypu are there is one of the reasons vacations are so popular. We all know the expression, "It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there" , but what a nice getaway. Especially if you come from a place where scandal and disorganization is becoming too commonplace.

I'd love to see Italy and yes it sounds like a fun place to live too. I'm glad you enjoyed your vacation
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-10-30 3:14 AM
Yes, those places are great for vacation but not sure I'd like to live there, probably not many job oppertunities. Yes, you have to go to Italy! So many beautiful and wonderful places.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-10-29 12:24 PM
I'm glad you had such a great trip. :happy:  I'm also glad to hear that you are getting some help with caring for your Dad and that he is doing better.
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-10-30 3:15 AM
It was so great and so relaxing. Yes, extra help is good, although he's very easy to deal with these days (unlike earlier but that's water under the bridge.. :wink:)
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-30 9:58 AM
Did you see a group of 16 americans all in their 70's?  My parents were in Sicily at the same time!  Every photo they sent back was of them eating gelato.
Parent - - By Gunna Date 2017-10-31 12:26 PM
:laugh: I'm not surprised! The gelato in Italy is wonderful. I don't even like ice cream that much but I love this kind.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2017-10-31 7:17 PM
Oh, yeah.  Gelato.  :hug:
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-29 9:04 AM
Have been/will be missing for a couple days because I'm prepping for a another round of medical procedures on Monday. Not sure how the recovery timeline is going to be, since they are doing two procedures at one time, plus a bunch of biopsy-ing. I just want them to get accurate results and figure out what happens going forward. So the pre-procedure stuff better work!
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-10-29 10:19 AM
I hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow. :hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-29 12:34 PM
I hope so too. Let us know.:hug:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-10-29 1:22 PM
Hope everything goes well and you get answers.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-29 5:45 PM
Hope it goes as smoothly as possible and you/they get accurate results.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-29 5:57 PM
Sending you healing and comforting vibes! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>  :hug::hug:
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-10-30 3:16 AM
Hope everything goes well and that you get some answers. :hug:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-10-29 10:26 AM
So, 14 miles yesterday.  It was damp, but not raining.  It was a decently fast run, which may be why I was feeling tired by the end.  I took a nap, then spent 8+ hours standing at a concert.  Surprisingly, my legs aren't particularly sore, which is good because I need to do some work outside this afternoon.

The concert was great.  I was there to see Trivium, who was playing a co-headliner with Arch Enemy and a couple of opening bands and everyone put on a really good show.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-29 2:53 PM
Quite an endorsement that it was so good you stood for 8+ hours after a 14 mile run.:shocker!:
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-10-30 3:16 AM
Glad you enjoyed the concert, nothing like live music!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-10-29 11:23 AM
Took a USDO yesterday. Left calf was a bit tight yesterday, so I decided against a workout.

T-bone and I are going hiking today in Florissant, which has dino fossils and petrified wood and stuff. Planning on going to smite practice tonight. I will do a bit of fencing again, I think, since it went really well last Thursday.

Looking hard at Bighorn 50K in Montana on June 15th as a motivational comeback race to sign up for. Thinking hard about it.

We just booked a cruise to Norway with another couple in late June. There will be a few days on either side of the cruise in Amsterdam. We'll be too late in the season to see the Dutch national garden, but we are already planning to geek out at other museums and fun stuff while we are there. Should be awesome!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-29 11:43 AM
Norway sounds fun.

Have you done other races since your injury? A 50K next year is pretty ambitious. How far out would you need to commit?
Parent - By SRoo Date 2017-10-29 12:15 PM
The hike sounds great, let us know what you see!

I agree with noquitter.  How about a trail half marathon this summer?  Or a 10 miler?  Then you can finish fit and healthy, barely even tired, full of joy and excitement for your next challenge.  You won't be (as) tempted to push your rehab too fast and too hard.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-29 3:08 PM
Norway is so awesome!  that's where we went on our honeymoon.  Where are you guys going?

the 50k sounds like an exciting and lofty goal!  Good luck!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-29 5:46 PM
I thought Florissant was in Missouri...kind of a long way to drive for a hike.

Bighorn -- don't know enough about it to say good idea or use caution. But it should be lovely, since it's Montana.
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-10-30 3:18 AM
A cruise to Norway sounds great! Will you be visiting your host family? It's great so see you so happy. :grin:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-29 11:41 AM
Had a really good 12 miler. I used a peanut butter gel during my run and I think that helped. Cold and dark at the start but a smooth run and the weather was better by the time we finished because the sun was out. Maybe some speedwork this week, but primarily backing off the next two weeks.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-29 9:14 PM
I've never seen peanut butter gel -- is it like peanut butter mixed with honey or corn syrup?
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-30 8:24 PM
No it's just a flavor like all the other crazy flavors such as bacon, salted watermelon etc. it's never really caught on like i think it should. Someone blamed the lack of caffeine. It's generally not one of the caffeinated ones.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-29 3:07 PM
argh. Didn't run yesterday.  DH's parents were here this weekend and everything got kind of mucked up.  I used my grandparent babysitting time to work on my paper, and then I took a nap instead of running.  OH well.  Got out this morning before they left for 6 on the trails.  Raining lightly when I left, pouring when I got home.  Then we went to do some house stuff - we are slowly trying to furnish our house, since we moved from a much smaller house in the city to a big old suburban mcmansion.  No, it's not a mcmansion at all.  But it's a lot bigger than where we were. We bought a chandelier for the dining room and a a rug for the living room.  Still working on finding a living room sofa we can agree on.

working on my paper now.  DH is supervising baby while I work.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-29 5:09 PM
Let's focus on the 6 you ran today. That's way more than most got in. You have a lot on your plate.
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-28 8:57 PM
15.7 this morning with RN. I thought the loop was 12 miles, but it turned out I was wrong. Oh well. We did drive 2 miles because neither of us wanted to do a 16 miler with the first and last two miles being the road we have run on so many hundreds of times. A couple of stops, a few dodges when drivers didn't see us, a number of complaints from RN about the early hour (5 AM on a Saturday morning is not her preferred time of rising), and one great big hill. We managed.

Another funeral at church today and this one is going to be long remembered as somewhat farcical. The deceased was a longtime parishioner, 85 year old woman, sad to lose her but at 85 it was not unexpected. She died in August and it took until now for the son to decide what he wanted and set a date for the service, then he didn't pick a time until last Tuesday. He didn't want her best friend to speak, nor did he want to speak himself, and since our priest is on sabbatical the priest who took the service barely knew the departed. Also, son arrived a few minutes before the service was scheduled to start and then realized he had forgotten his mom. The ashes were still at home. So he had to go back and get them and the service started 30 minutes late.

Running news -- I'm over 200 miles for the month already and still have 3 days left! Better than most of the months in 2017.
Parent - - By Gunna Date 2017-10-29 3:01 AM
You are so consistent with your running. :cool: I've heard from my nephew that it's been very hot over there. Sounds like a wierd funeral. :shocker!:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-29 5:47 PM
It was. Son was not exactly organized.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-10-29 8:41 AM Edited 2017-10-29 8:46 AM
Sorry about the deceased, but I guess easy to forget the cremains since it's been a while. I have a friend whose husband's cremains are in the closet so she can go in a talk to him once in a while. :wink:
At my mother's funeral during the very sombre beginning, my very little cousin chirped, "Does anyone have any chocolate?" and we all laughed. It helped us remember that life indeed goes on. :grin:
Then there was my aunt's funeral (she was a bit of a Cain raiser) where my uncle buried her with a fork in her hand. :laugh:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-29 5:48 PM
You are more charitable than we were! Son is not a nice person from what I've heard.

Fork in her hand? To stab people in the afterlife?
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-29 6:39 PM
Dessert. The best is yet to come..
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-30 4:29 PM
Yes, although I thought he was equipping her for something more sinister. :blush::laugh:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-10-29 11:17 AM
No even sure what to say about the funeral. I am guessing the son was pretty much the only family left?
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-29 5:47 PM
Yes. I don't think there were any other relatives, there were a couple of friends plus some people from church.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-29 11:45 AM
That is one disorganized funeral. Might be a great advertisement story for preplanned burials.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-29 5:48 PM
Yes, it would be. She apparently liked robust hymns. Son did not choose robust music.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-29 6:40 PM
It almost sounds like he resented having to do anything. How very sad.:sad:
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-29 5:50 PM
4 this morning before early church, most of it in darkness. I did get to go by a Little Free Library I haven't seen before, and I was carrying a book (on purpose!) that I swapped out for one of theirs. I want to go back again with a few more to trade! Fairly easy run, good after yesterday's hilly distance.

And heard another bit of the saga of the fiasco funeral yesterday. The ashes were interred in the little memorial garden outside the church. There are no individual plots or niches, there's a bed of plants (about 10 x 10, think the size of a small bedroom) with a tree in the middle, walkway around the bed, fountain at one side and more plants in beds between the walk and the walls.  I wasn't directly behind the son and the priest, but what was reported by a couple of the women in the choir is that the hole for the ashes had already been dug. Priest instructed son to open the box and place the ashes in the hole, then everyone who wished could take a trowelful of soil and cover them. Son opened the box and squatted down to pour the ashes in. Let's just say that a) he's fairly generously built (think potato on legs) and b) the shirt he was wearing could have used a longer tail. Much longer. He should also have worn a belt. This was the plumber's butt to end all plumber's butts. One of the women behind him said "where's an ice cube when you really need one?" They had a hard time maintaining a suitably reverent and solemn expression. Glad I was not standing near them because I would have probably come down in fits of giggles.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-29 6:43 PM
:shocker!:

Just to let you know I read your posts, how did you know to have a book if you had not seen the free library? Were you looking for one on your run? Just curious.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-29 9:15 PM
I knew it was there, had seen it on the online map, so since I was going close to it I decided to take a slight detour. So I knew to carry a book!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-30 5:40 AM
That funeral saga is something else! Wow. The son really sounds like a piece of work :sad:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Weekend rr/nrr