Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Frosty Thursday dailies
- - By judyruns Date 2017-10-26 6:03 AM
Winter blew in. : pbbt:
Post.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-10-26 6:06 AM
USDO yesterday. I did 3 more hours of volunteer work at the big library and I was wiped out for sure. That made 8 hours total this week. It was a special need so it won't happen that way again.
Today I plan to bundle up and get out there this morning. It's in the low 40's right now. Lotsa layers. :laugh:
Safe and Happy Runs, All :hug:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-26 6:32 AM
Sometimes you have to go with the flow and abandon the workout. Forcing one into an already exhausting day defeats the purpose.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-26 7:25 AM
I don't think I've ever been exhausted by a run and I've done half distances in the past. But the work is constant whole body motion on a slab floor...lifting and walking constantly. Rewarding, though. :happy:
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-26 6:44 AM
sounds like you've been busy!  I'm sure the library appreciated your help.  Enjoy getting out there today.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-26 7:22 AM
The library carts are taller than I am and completely double sided. We had a huge number of donations and were unable to get access to sort for over a month. We're in & at 'em now. :laugh:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-10-26 9:07 AM
It's nice that you're able to volunteer some extra time when needed, but also nice to be able to have time off!
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-10-26 11:30 AM
Sometimes you need time off from retirement. :laugh:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-26 12:01 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-10-26 11:31 AM
Sounds like our weather this morning.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-26 6:36 AM
5 miles last night at the group run. Ended up buying a pair of Levitates with my discount.  Tried them out this morning and really like them. I ran in a pair of sevens last night which is a little big. The pair I bought was the 61/2.  The jury still out as to whether they make me run faster but I did keep up with a couple of faster guys in a group last night. I'll keep you posted.

3 miles this morning in the new shoes and weights. Tomorrow is a much anticipated SDO.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-26 6:45 AM
ooh keeping up with the faster guys is a pretty good recommendation!  Very cool.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-10-26 9:08 AM
Shoes that actually make you magically faster would be pretty cool! :cool:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-10-26 11:32 AM
New shoes are always good:happy:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-26 12:13 PM
Your feet are smaller than mine are!
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-26 6:49 AM
working (endlessly endlessly) on this "polished" first draft that is due by midnight Monday.  I feel like I'm floating in a miasma of ideas and trying to connect them is feeling impossible.  trying to trust the process and believe in my own ability.  And reminding myself that this is technically only a draft, although my professor keeps making it sound a lot more important than that. :roll: But I'll just do what I can. 

ok about running.  I plan to run 7 in about an hour, once I've written a bit more.  It's a gorgeous fall day out there - sunny with highs in the mid 50s - so it should be lovely.  I've been waiting for this weather for months!

re: pregnancy - I just ate two spoonfuls of peanut butter out of the jar and justified it by reminding myself that I am nursing AND pregnant.  Haha.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-26 6:54 AM
You have a lot going on!:shocker!:
Parent - - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2017-10-26 8:17 AM
I eat peanut butter out of the jar all the time and am neither pregnant or nursing
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-26 9:10 AM
That's exactly what I was going to say!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-26 9:27 AM
It's pretty much a thing with me too.: pbbt:
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-26 9:54 AM
Hahaha :hug: let me just be clear that it was after I'd already eaten 2 slices of pb and honey toast. Yum.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-26 9:57 AM
and the problem with that is???

If your body needs something, give it to your body.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-26 10:13 AM
"need" is a strong word.  Enjoy yes!  No regrets.  It was delicious and fueled a lovely 7 miler. :hug:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-26 11:31 AM
Fuel is the active word. Needed for a 7 miler. :grin:
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-10-26 9:10 AM
A polished first draft is indeed a draft.  You'll get closer to perfection later on. :wink:  It's a lot of work, though, especially with everything else you have going on.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-26 9:13 AM
You are in the first semester of a doctoral program, right?  Writing at this point should be hard.  You are learning a new style of writing.  Even if you wrote a lot in your Masters degree, this is still different.

One of the things I used to tell my doctoral students is that in High School I was and exceptional writer, in undergrad, an excellent writer, in grad school a great writer, and in my PhD program, a typical writer.  It wasn't that I got worse, it was that the expectations got higher and harder to reach. And my peers were also the folks who were exceptional in high school!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-26 9:53 AM
That's a very good perspective, thank you! Yes, it's a very different kind of writing.  and yes first semester of PhD.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-10-26 11:29 AM
That is a tough spot, re: the paper. Usually when I am in that place where I can't seem to make a strong and coherent statement, it's because something is off about my thesis statement or my supporting details. Might be necessary to start fresh and try to reframe the whole concept? I know that sounds like a bit much but when the ideas won't gel, there is often a reason.

You get to eat that PB. You need it. :hug:
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-26 12:02 PM
eh, I just re-read chunks of it and there's some good stuff in there.  I can't bear the thought of starting fresh, haha.  I think the idea is sound - it's just expressing it adequately.  I think I'll go with where I'm at, get through a solid draft, and then see what my professor tells me.  I'll let you know if he thinks I should throw it out :wink: I appreciate your insight though!
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-10-26 4:04 PM
Understood. And wishing you luck. :happy:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-10-26 11:31 AM
I ate more than 2 spoons of PB out of the jar and have no justification : pbbt::laugh: enjoy the run.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2017-10-26 8:18 AM
Yay winter we have 60's in the morning and 70's in the afternoon! :laugh:

Today I'm going to go run the stairs over lunch since it isn't hot but only for half an hour. Probably more walk than run. Later I run the track with G and then yoga tonight.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-10-26 9:10 AM
I guess when it comes to "winter," you have to take what you can get.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-26 9:54 AM
Yay Florida cold snap! :laugh:

Sounds like a great workout plan.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-26 10:41 AM
You will be ready to conquer the world soon with those workouts.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-10-26 11:29 AM
That sounds like perfect weather
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-10-26 9:05 AM
I didn't see any frost, but it was our first morning in the 30s!  Pleasant weather for running, though my back felt rather achy so it wasn't a terribly fast run.

We're going out to dinner tonight for my birthday.  My birthday isn't actually until next week, but this week works better for most people.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-26 9:29 AM
Might as well get a jump on celebrating.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-26 9:55 AM
Oh I bet you loved those temps! Early bday present for you. November seems like a fitting bday month for you- finally weather you can run in! Where are you going for bday dinner?
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-10-26 12:35 PM
A place with a southeast Asian menu. :happy:
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-26 2:16 PM
yummmmm
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-10-26 2:17 PM
I don't think they serve peanut butter straight out of the jar, though. :wink:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-26 2:27 PM
That's a great idea for a restaurant.  And people can be encouraged to just use their finger, or use a spoon, if they must.  They could offer Peanut Butter, Nutella, frosting....
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-10-26 2:31 PM
That is my kind of restaurant!
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-26 3:09 PM
A kind of fondue with PB instead of cheese perhaps?
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-26 2:35 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-10-26 11:29 AM
Have fun, hope the back feels better
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-26 12:14 PM
Oh, we are in the 30s too.:grin:

In Celsius. :mutmad:
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-10-26 12:34 PM
:cry::cry:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-26 2:16 PM
boooo
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-10-26 11:29 AM
No frost today but snow predicted tomorrow :cry:
4 easy miles early this morning and despite wearing a reflective vest and light I was almost hit by a car.:mutmad: I was running on a path that goes down middle of road and a car coming towards me turned without looking and nearly hit me as I was crossing an intersection.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-26 12:03 PM
omg!!  I'm so glad you're ok!  THAT STUPID DRIVER, ugh. Grrrr. :mutmad::mutmad::mutmad:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-26 12:15 PM
Oh gosh! Sorry about the near miss. Idiot drivers have no clue that someone might be on foot. You could be lit up like a Christmas tree and they would still not see you.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-26 1:53 PM
You were wearing protective stuff and they managed to just miss you. Geeze! Glad you are ok! :hug:
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-10-26 2:17 PM
:mutmad:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-26 9:10 PM
Glad you are ok. That could have been tragic.:sad:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-10-26 4:10 PM
We are expecting a dusting of snow shortly. It is raw cold out there, and windy to boot. Brrrrrr.  The birds are out attacking the bird seed and suet feeders like they know they need the extra calories right now.

Went to yoga again this morning, and was almost late thanks to having to draft a response to another e-mail about the harassment complaint, but I got the draft done AND got to class in time to squeak into the last available spot.

Ran home afterward to change, and then headed out for a massage. Got stalled on the way home by a big traffic accident, but am now home in time to get ready to go to smite practice. T-bone, Eldest Daughter and I are all going to do rapier fighting tonight. It'll be my first time back smiting in any form since the knee blew out in January, and I am planning on doing a very limited, slow amount of fencing. Have promised all and sundry that I will go at, like, 1/10th normal speed and stop if anything feels weird.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-10-26 4:17 PM
NRR random stuff:
-we appear to have another raccoon breaking into our garage again. It's been eating the cat food and, when we started taking the cat food inside at night, has been ransacking the bird seed. Tsk.

-It's XH's 56th birthday. I nearly forgot. When I *did* finally notice the date, I felt good about forgetting up until then. :pbbt

-One of my running club friends just announced she is expecting a little girl around March. This friend has an absolute obsession with piglets...just loves them...so you can probably guess what kind of baby blanket I am going to knit for her. Yep. A piglet-pink one with a wee piggie hoodie on one corner. I am chuckling happily while designing it. This will be too much fun to make. :happy:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-26 4:41 PM
Good luck at the fighting tonight. Test of the knee!
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-10-27 6:49 AM
How did the fencing go? Knee handled it?
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-10-26 6:39 PM
i like being a grownup.

It means I can run 4 miles, and then have nothing but popcorn and a beer for dinner if I so choose.   And I do.   So there.  : pbbt::laugh:

warmed up for a mile, then 3.1 in 27 min.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-27 11:56 AM
Sing it, sister. Dinner last night was a bowl of peanuts and a cider after choir practice. And one treat size bag of Reese's Pieces.
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-26 4:42 PM
I do not want to hear about anyone's cooler weather. Salt in an open (sweaty) wound.

No run this morning, having not got to bed until 11, but did manage 6.02 on the TM at lunchtime -- glad I was not required on a conference call that I originally thought might preempt my lunch plans.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-26 8:08 PM
My Underarmour bras are really nice and snug, but during a long sweaty run it felt like there was finely grated glass in my bra. :cry::roll:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Frosty Thursday dailies