Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Whirling Wednesday dailies
- - By judyruns Date 2017-10-25 5:58 AM
The wind was whirling like crazy. :grin:
Post.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-10-25 5:59 AM
Tuesday I got out a little earlier so I got in 45 minutes easily before the rain began. It was a little dicey because of strong wind gusting. I stayed out in the open so I would not be hit by any falling branches. Some yoga done. Two and a half hours of volunteer work done. This is a repeat of Monday as well.

Today I am off to run parts of the trail and then possibly to go to volunteer at the library again either today or tomorrow after running. I am staying close to the park since visibility for deer is very good and I can dash for shelters.
Safe and happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-25 6:50 AM
Wind is so distracting especially if you have to run into it. Good luck staying on course!
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-25 9:54 AM
Windy can feel good, but the kind that blows one over is notsomuch.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-25 6:45 AM Edited 2017-10-25 6:48 AM
It was windy yesterday here. Today I think we get a break. Friday comes the cold snap.:shocker!:

Yesterday's run was plodding but determined drudgery for 5 miles over lunch.

Work is crazy. Running is hard and I have never slept so deep in my life. C'mon taper!

Oh! Toinight is a group run with the Brooks Levitate. No 6 1/2s but I may try a 7 and let you know what I think. Supposed to make you run faster and make running easier.:wink:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-25 6:57 AM
Good work on the 5 miler. It seems like work is always crazy, at least it always seemed like that to me. Yeah on the sleep being deeper! :grin:
Oh, faster and easier sounds great for the shoes. Hmmmm. Levitate? Good name. :happy:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-10-25 7:51 AM
Faster and easier?  From a shoe?  Dang, I need some of those!

Enjoy the taper!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-25 8:12 AM
Yes got to experience this for myself.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-25 9:53 AM
The marketing for the shoes has me skeptical - am interested to hear how you find them in reality.  Well done you on plowing through the rough miles.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-25 1:28 PM
They look interesting but $150? That's a lot of money to spend on the chance they might feel good.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-25 4:15 PM
I'm interested to hear how people feel about them. (They don't normally have my shoes in test models.) I do get a significant discount if so inclined.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-10-25 7:13 AM
Total of 6 this morning, 4 with friend and 2 with Gavin (1 mile to school with him - carrying backpack...) and one back ....whew glad the weather is finally cooler. I took my main shower after the morning run so probably won't shower now until after yoga at lunch. BTW that is a lot of miles for me.

I may try the superfeet insoles before orthopedics.  I may also try another podiatrist, a sports one. I am not ready to never wear cute sandals or flip flops, really! Its not like I wear heels.
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-10-25 7:27 AM
I love Superfeet inserts!  My podiatrist recommended I try those before we down the custom path.  I've worn them in my running shoes for as long as I can remember.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-10-25 9:01 AM
Do you wear the orange or green ones?
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-25 9:48 AM
I put the green ones in my running shoes.  My dress (work) shoes get things I bought at the pharmacy that are half length and still have a good arch support,  I think they were $7 a pair!!
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-25 9:48 AM
Jumping in to say I wear the blue superfeet inserts and they work very well for me. Only in the running shoes though, regular shoes are insert-free.
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-10-25 1:12 PM
I wear green.  Honestly, the folks at my LRS helped me pick out the right ones, and my podiatrist was happy with their selection.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-25 7:44 AM
Good luck on the insoles. 6 is very good for a midweek run.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-10-25 8:09 AM
Great work on the 6 miler! You are definitely going to start a trend carrying the backpack. :grin:
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-10-25 9:00 AM
of course he had to bring ALL his books home last night...:roll:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-25 1:30 PM
Could be worse. He could be in the band as well and have to bring a big brass instrument home to practice.

*vision of NSF running to school with G, G carrying a little lunch bag, NSF carrying G's backpack and G's tuba...*
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-10-25 6:40 PM
He mentioned more than once the string bass in the orchestra.: pbbt:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-25 2:16 PM
You hereby are granted special recognition for cross training. :grin:
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-25 9:52 AM
Vote for the superfeet  here - I'm in the blue ones for running and they seem to help. Yipes on the backpack carrying, especially with all the books brought home. You have been running higher mileage lately - is it because of the added miles with G in prep for the 5K?
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-10-25 12:25 PM
Yes the extra 3 days a week with G even if a mile or two adds up.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-25 1:29 PM
Nice miles!
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-10-25 7:30 AM
Trainer this morning - arms and shoulder.  Didn't feel like I'd worked hard while I was there, but as I type I realize my arms and hands are tired.  Wee!

For the first time in a LONG time, we have nothing planned for this evening.  I may just get in my PJs as soon as I get home and order pizza delivery.  I'm ready for the busy-ness to slow down a little bit; we didn't get home last night until 9:30pm.  By the time we got the kids settled and into bed, it was 10.  Not a lot of time to decompress before needing to be asleep to start it all over again this morning.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-25 7:45 AM
Yeah for nothing planned!
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-25 8:11 AM
We NEED that longer decompression time. Good work with the trainer! :happy:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-25 9:51 AM
Delayed reaction soreness can be satisfying if the initial reaction post-workout seems a bit meh. Home at 9.30pm and then having to wind-down, ooof. Early evening sounds good tonight.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-25 1:31 PM
Nothing planned. Pizza. PJs. Bliss!
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-25 8:04 AM
at class all day, but... my last class got canceled!  hooray!  My poor professor (whom I love) had emergency surgery, so not for a great reason, but it does mean that I can leave at 1:30 instead of 5:30.  Normally (whatever that is these days) I take Wednesdays completely off because of class all day, but maybe I can do some yoga when I get home and before I dig in to some more work.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-25 8:12 AM
Sorry he had to have the surgery, but good that you got a respite. DC went to a class where the professor passed out cold but was ok the next week.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-25 9:50 AM
More time is a good thing! The circumstances :sad: hope the professor does well in surgery and recovers soon.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-25 1:31 PM
Sorry about the surgery, but yay for cancelled class!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-25 9:43 AM
40 min in the pool, including some kicking and some synchro skills.  My kick is getting stronger, which is helping my front crawl.  I did run toe first into the wall during sculling practice.  Oops.

I know this may be a socioeconomic issue, but there is a woman at the pool who wears a white suit that is so stretched out that the crotch is basically at her knees. Luckily I think she only uses the hot tub.  And there was another woman there in a suit that is all black on the back, but the middle panel was so worn that it looked like it was mesh, showing off her crack, but the sides were all opaque.  :shocker!: At first I thought it was intentional and was trying to figure out how that was fashion!

The woman who plays music in the shower was doing it again--and singing along.  When I was back in the locker room, I confronted her about it.  She said that if I don't like it I don't have to listen to it, then left in a huff.  Hopefully she was huffy today but won't continue playing it.  If she does I now feel like I can complain to gym management.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-25 9:49 AM
Curious as to why you think the suit fit/condition issue is a socioeconomic one? I would think the kinds of ill-fitting garments are out of place in any case...
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-25 12:07 PM
They may not be able to afford a replacement.  The suit is stretched out, as if it has been worn for a long time.
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-10-25 1:21 PM
if they can afford a gym membership, doesn't that put them in at least a mid-level status economically?
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-25 2:23 PM
Yes, and I'd have thought that suits need not be extraordinarily expensive? (Although they certainly can be so.) If the woman swims regularly, I'd have thought she'd see the investment.
But I see the point, there might be a variety of reasons for her suit's condition, and it could be awkward to broach the subject.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-25 4:40 PM
I would't assume that they can afford a suit if they can afford a membership.  This is a big box gym with low memberships and theirs could be paid by someone other than themselves. I wouldn't say people are impoverished there, but it is a different class status than the high end gym I went to when I worked downtown.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-25 1:33 PM
Possible, however if she can afford the gym, as BT said, she should be able to afford a suit.

Maybe she just hates shopping for swimsuits. And the woman with the translucent tush cover may not realize that her suit is doing a good imitation of the old lululemon yoga pants. :evil:

Do you think management will tell the woman to stop singing?
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-10-25 6:26 PM
I can see telling her not to play amplified music, but singing is natural.  It's like saying people can't talk in the locker room.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-26 6:01 AM
There was an elderly woman in a class at the gym who would sing to all the songs. When I came into class the first time, the instructor gave me a "heads up" about it. I suspected the gym would handle it that way instead of telling her not to sing.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-25 2:21 PM
45 minute walk today for me - a plodding, painful episode. Very achy and generally painful, but as I am told that moving about is supposed to be a good thing, I move. More to the point, I'm stubborn and dislike the thought that I'd have *not* done anything today had I conceded and not gone. Anything less than 30 minutes would be a failure in my mind... ridiculous as I wouldn't think such for anyone else, but there it is. So I walked. And mused.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-10-25 3:09 PM
Sorry that it wasn't a great walk.  Feeling achy or in pain makes me not want to move, so I'm impressed that you got out there anyway.  I get the stubbornness aspect, though. :laugh:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-25 3:19 PM
Oh, not moving was sounding very tempting. It is one of the ironies of the whole thing - when in pain one does not want to move, but at times moving is something that eases pain at least somewhat (or so they say). I suppose the mental stubbornness won out more than anything else.:laugh:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-25 3:55 PM
Good for you for going out for the walk and I'm sorry it was painful. I hope the benefits outweigh the difficulties in the future. :hug:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-25 4:06 PM
:hug: I know the feeling of getting fixated on a specific number to feel like I've accomplished something. It can make it hard to listen to our bodies and what they actually need.  I can't imagine how tough your recovery must be!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-26 6:28 AM
When I had my c-section a walk to our street's mailbox was a starting point. I worked up to circling our 1/2 mile block and increasing the number of times around. 45 minutes is a lot and I would think your body's reaction is very normal.
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-25 1:26 PM
3.6 this morning in temperatures that just should not happen at this time of year.  84 degrees at 4 AM! :mutmad: Out in an easterly direction, into the wind, back with the wind which resulted in a nice negative split even though the way back ends uphill.

Santa Ana winds, hot and dry and gusty, here.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-10-25 2:20 PM
You are certainly getting the brunt of global warming and then some. Great work on the 3.6 miler!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-25 3:15 PM
We are getting some, most of our hot winter weather is the result of the Ridiculously Resilient Ridge -- persistent high pressure pushing rainstorms away from southern California -- and it 's not likely to get better. :cry: https://www.ioes.ucla.edu/article/the-ridiculously-resilient-ridge-and-californias-extreme-weather-future/
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-25 2:23 PM
Negative split is positive mentally.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-25 3:18 PM
It is. Especially when chances are good that I will go the other way tomorrow and have a big positive split since outbound would be downhill and with the wind and return is uphill and into the wind!
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-25 3:19 PM
Uphill and into wind :cry:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Whirling Wednesday dailies