Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Wednesday 10/25
- - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-25 5:51 AM
"Running is about more than the miles"

What is your "more"?

Happy Wednesday.  Get after it Masters. :happy:
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-25 5:56 AM
I could fill a page with what I've received from running.  First off - it's you guys.   And all the other friends I've made while running.  And then there's the feel of the wind in your face.  ok, and the snow, and the ice pellets.:laugh:  And a drawer full of really soft dri-fit clothing.:happy::happy:  (the quote if from my club's website btw)

it is still pitch black out my windows.  Not sure yet what the weatherman will bring.  We are in the 30's, some places with a real feel in the 20's.  Certainly I can break out the gloves and a hat.  Plan is for the Naff 5k.  Maybe longer if Misha approves.
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-10-25 6:06 AM
It's the feeling of being alive; of the gift of health to be able to run.  It's friendships formed.   It's communion with God in the dark early hours of the day.  In the words of Eric Liddell, "When I run, I feel His pleasure."  That's the more for me.

So, today was another 8 miles.  Nothing special, but sure feels good to run.

It's cool here.  Nice for running.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-25 6:21 AM
:hug:
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2017-10-25 11:13 AM
What Dawn said!
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-10-25 6:32 AM
Good morning!

It is 44 degrees here -- feels great.

My "more" are as follows: 

I love being outside with nature -- the rain, sun and wind -- all feel good at different times.  I am amazed at what the body can do. I do some thinking and my problems which may have seemed so huge at the beginning, are so manageable by the end of a good run (and now power walks.)  I have time to reflect and talk to God.  I can cry and people will just think it is sweat running down my face. And friends we make along the way.  That is definitely a perk!

I am having lunch with a family friend and her 4 month old baby today.  Looking forward to it.

Thanks for starting us off Dawn!
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2017-10-25 6:36 AM
My “more” is, of course,  all of you and other fun people I’ve met. I would never know some of my favorite people had I not entered that fun run 22 years ago. :hug:

It’s raining. But I’m going to run anyway. I’ll stick to the quad instead of the trails. For anyone familiar with Savannah, our quad is like the squares with houses on all 4 sides and an open area on the inside. The south end of the quad also abuts the ocean and pier. The quad is 0.6 miles so I’ll go for 7 laps. And we are the only ones on the island now. :cool:

And I have homework to do, too. :roll:

:grin:
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2017-10-25 11:12 AM
Sounds like such a beautiful place to live and run!! My friend in CT is running the Mount Desert Island half marathon next year and I REALLY want to do it with her! Alex wants to do it also....now to win the lottery (not race lottery-$$$ lottery!!:laugh:
Parent - By DottieO Date 2017-10-25 4:17 PM
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-10-25 7:42 AM
my More is More Miles :laugh:: pbbt: Hard to explain to people that don't run or don't like running. I started running when i was 13. Loved it from the beginning. Relaxes me but makes me feel alive. Tires me out but gives me energy.

Running 3 or 4 today. Legs are slowly coming back to life.

Thinking about joining Sam's gym and going with her a few days a week. She goes mon-fri. I might go with her on tue and thu mornings and start lifting weights again, it's been a long time since i have done any weightlifting. Planet Fitness, for $10 a month it probably can't hurt too much.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-25 7:51 AM
Misha and I visit with an older man every morning at the park.  He's 86 and just joined Planet Fitness.  "For $10; all those ladies in tights!"  His advice is stay in the back row, the view is better. :laugh:
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-10-25 8:31 AM
dirty old man! :laugh::laugh:
Parent - By DottieO Date 2017-10-25 9:21 AM
:laugh:  Ironically I just read an article on the great migration away from fitness centers as more and more on line coaching and classes are keeping people home because they can customize their fitness needs and workout routines.
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2017-10-25 1:51 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-10-25 8:03 AM
I think Planet Fitness is great for the price.  You just can't beat $10/month.
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2017-10-25 11:15 AM
My "more" is about putting a few more steps of running in with the walking......Running makes me feel so ALIVE!! :hug:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-25 3:22 PM
Go Pam Go!
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2017-10-26 8:40 AM
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-10-25 1:48 PM
3.5 mile bike ride with my husband. The fantastic weather continues. Wish I could bottle it up and take out as needed.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-25 3:21 PM
yep.  And send it to me in January.:wink:
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2017-10-25 2:31 PM
I ran 4.5 miles. Only once around the quad and the rain was only a drizzle so I headed into the woods and had a fabulous run. I didn’t tell Danny about my route change so he went looking for me after I was gone an hour. :hug:  Lots of leaves down and the ocean was wild with all the wind.

Next semester my classes are all on Tuesdays again. Clinicals will be a couple days a week. I’m still going to try and work full time through August of next year but then I’ll have to go part time. We are looking at live aboard boats and want to get one next fall so my goal is to save $ for the down payment. We’re looking at  is a 38’ Fisher Fairways trawler in Jonesport, Maine. You can google it if you want to see it because I don’t know how to put links in the text. : pbbt:

:grin:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-25 3:21 PM
First off, I didn't get to respond to your first post before  you put this one up and I wanted to say how cool it is that you guys are alone on the island.  Did you ever in your wildest dreams envision your own private island?

And second, I googled the Fisher Fairway.  That looks amazing!  I know a couple boat aficianados who will certainly want to be your new best friend!
Parent - By DottieO Date 2017-10-25 3:43 PM
It’s pretty amazing here right now. So quiet.

Trawlers are cool boats. I’d love a tugboat style but they are too $$$.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Wednesday 10/25