Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Misty Tuesday dailies
- - By judyruns Date 2017-10-24 5:18 AM
Light mist and rain yesterday was needed. :happy:
Post.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-10-24 5:25 AM
Monday I got out a little earlier so I got in 50 minutes easily before the rain began.
Yoga done. Two and a half hours of volunteer work done.
Today I am off to run parts of the trail and then possibly to go to volunteer at the library again. Doing my yoga right now.
Safe and happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-10-24 5:38 AM
It must be nice to be at your former job and get to leave when you want to leave. Have a great run!
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-24 4:39 PM
For what organisation are you volunteering? Library both times?
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-24 6:39 PM
It's a large county public library both times. I spend a lot of time sorting book donations for the library to sell. It's a lot of fun seeing the variety.
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-10-24 5:37 AM
I'm going to try to be more consistent posting. I ran 3 miles this morning and parts were tough because I did yard work on Sunday and I am still achy. I was smart enough to skip yesterday. My hamstrings were bad, but much better today. Tomorrow I have to be at work early, so not sure if I will get a run in. It is too warm out, but a storm is coming and maybe cooler weather will come in.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-10-24 6:46 AM
I hope the storms bring cooler weather!
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-24 4:38 PM
I am glad your hamstrings are better, but sympathies that they were niggly to begin with.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-10-24 6:45 AM
5.7 for me this morning.  I ran a bit further than I originally planned so I could finish the album I was listening to. :laugh:  The weather is pretty good -- cooler, but still very humid.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-10-24 8:00 AM
:laugh: That's funny!
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-24 4:38 PM
I've done that, not wanting to have 1 min of music in the queue and having to change it so quickly into the next day's run.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2017-10-24 7:14 AM
Warm yoga this morning, it was a nice change to do it first thing but I always feel so rushed in the morning I don't have time to warm down properly. Crap I feel rushed all the time really.

Hoping it cools down a bit for track with G today.

It should go down to 60 tomorrow for sure.

Does anyone have orthotics? Are they worth it or just something my podiatrist is trying to upsell me on? I have been getting some cortisone shots in my foot for my recurring nerve pain, but I hear conflicting reports this can damage the fatty pads under the foot, and there is a treatment out there using alcohol to kill the nerve but my guy doesn't do that he does cortisone, EPAT (which I am not sure is right for me and $450 anyway) or $400 custom orthotics and I'm supposed to wear them ALL THE TIME.

Is this just a racket or really helpful?
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-10-24 8:01 AM
I have been in orthotics for years and they help me big time. My insurance covers them, but I would pay out of pocket if they weren't covered. They help my neuroma and PF.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2017-10-24 9:07 AM
Do you wear them always? I wear a ton of sandals and flip flops in florida probably 90% of the time. My doc said I'd have to not wear those.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2017-10-24 11:42 AM
Birkenstock sandals - you can get nice ones that don't look dorky.  Also, these flip flops: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Betula-Energy-EVA-Shoes-Womens-Thong-Sandal-Shower-Sandal-Sandals-Purple-008681/361741599624 have the same footbed as Birkenstocks so offer arch support in a lightweight shoe.  I just grabbed the first link that came up on Ebay - you can probably find other sellers, or find them other places as well.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-10-24 2:14 PM
I either wear them or Birkenstocks in the summer. Birkenstokcs are the only shoe and sandal I can wear that make my feet happy. I wear Merrells in the winter but throw my orthotics in them.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2017-10-24 9:58 AM
DH has worn custom orthotics for decades.  His legs hurt after a couple of days without them.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-24 11:22 AM
I use the OTC orthotics.  In my trainers and in my work shoes.  Keeps my feet much happier!  A heel cup and arch support work wonders on my shoe comfort.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2017-10-24 11:40 AM
Orthotics have been wonderful for me.  I used to be in custom orthotics but now use green Superfeet.  I wouldn't go back to not having them.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-10-24 3:45 PM
I don't wear orthotics, but it seems like the people I know who need them and have them think they're very helpful.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-24 4:37 PM
I wear the superfeet product, so the OTC orthotics I suppose. Makes a difference I think for running/stability - I don't use them in my regular shoes.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-10-24 6:42 PM
I wear really stiff arch supports from my podiatrist and they have helped me a lot. No PF since I've been using them. My knee also improved.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-24 8:32 PM
They could hold yoga outside and have it at the proper temperature here today. :mutmad:
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-10-25 7:16 AM
Wow you really got the heat! They can hold hot yoga here outside 9 months, I do like the cleansing feel but sometimes in the summer its like I am hot enough I don't need to be hot inside my yoga class. I will probably switch studios once this membership is up next month at this one. I love the people and the nice cushy floors (they have rubber not wood) but only 2 rooms and one is dedicated to Hot. There is another studio closer that has 3 rooms so more offerings and less chance of having Hot as the only option.
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-10-24 7:19 AM
No biking this week as after work schedules are so tight I'd always be late.  Turns out it was a good decision as most of the route to my trainer was torn up yesterday so they can repave.  That would have been yuck!  Estimated to be completed on Friday.

Trainer yesterday after work - legs.
Trainer this morning before work - upper body.
Trainer tomorrow morning before work - Shoulders and abs planned.

Trainer is in a competition this weekend, so not working Thurs - Sun, had to smoosh three workouts into three days.  As much as I dislike getting up early to workout, working out after work was complete suckage.  Ugh.  Morning it is!
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-10-24 8:02 AM
Do you find yourself getting stronger? I keep forgetting/not doing weight and core workouts.
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-10-24 9:42 AM
Very much so.  When we started, I literally couldn't do one push up with falling on my face.  This morning I did 3 sets of 8 push ups on a wobbly ball.  When we started I couldn't do knee raises on the tower, and now I'm doing straight leg raises. 

Now I need to increase cardio so that the weight comes off faster.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2017-10-24 9:57 AM
:cool:  Nice. 

When you do wobbly ball pushups what is on the wobbly ball, feet or hands?
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-10-24 10:12 AM
My hands.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-24 10:50 AM
that's awesome!  great improvement!

:note to self - start doing pushups again:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2017-10-24 11:42 AM
:cool::cool::cool:
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-10-24 3:46 PM
Wow, that's awesome! :cool:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-24 4:36 PM
Very impressive improvement! My PT is having me do pushups/planks on the bosu with the wobbly part down, and it is hard!
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-24 10:50 AM
hi friends!  Made it out for 4 rainy miles.  Not cold rainy though, so it was fine, and we have had a very dry fall and really need rain.  Hope to do some yoga later.

ok, back to reading a bajillion boring pages and writing writing writing!
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-10-24 3:46 PM
Cold rain sucks, but warmer rain can be fairly pleasant. :happy:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-24 4:36 PM
Warm rain is possibly my favourite weather to be out, especially if I'm in a kind of off-kilter mood. Hope the yoga went well....
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-24 8:08 PM
Good for you getting out.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2017-10-24 11:39 AM
Recent step count:

Saturday: 15,835
Sunday: 73 (this was, um, a rest day  :laugh:  I knew I didn't do much but the step count really brings that home.)
Monday: 10,822

Stair intervals and strength training after work today.  :happy:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-24 11:44 AM
Wow, 73 steps?? That's just bathroom, bed, sofa?  I think even when I'm sick I get around 1000.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2017-10-24 11:45 AM
:laugh:  There were some vigorous sofa-to-fridge intervals in there.  I didn't even leave the house.  :blush:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-24 11:55 AM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-10-24 1:13 PM
:laugh:   I don't have a wearable, I just have the counter on my iPhone and I don't carry that with me all the time.   If someone is tracking my data, they'll think I do nothing but commute and go for runs and then never move aside from that. :blush:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-10-24 3:47 PM
73 :laugh::laugh::laugh:  I don't think I could get from my bed to the refrigerator and back in <73 steps.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-24 4:34 PM
Neither could I.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-24 4:35 PM
I had to smirk a bit at the discrepancy between counts in the 10,000+ and the 73. Are you certain it was accurate? As the others say, even going back and forth from kitchen to bed, fixing food, basic functions, etc. would add to more than that, no?
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-24 8:10 PM
I'm not too sure about the 73. You must be really serious about relaxing.:laugh:
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-24 4:33 PM
No walk today as I had medical appointments that left me mentally and physically wiped - not to mention cheese-holed my day so there wasn't really a window in which to go. It was warm but overcast and windy and generally stormy-without-storming, so it would have been pleasant mentally to be out (I like walking in wind/rain when I'm in this kind of mood) but was not to be.
I am horribly stiff (generally and at the sites of the scars) after the fusses of work all day though, so I might do some very gentle yoga to stretch out.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-24 4:37 PM
:hug: it sounds like a really draining day.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-24 5:09 PM
It was, but I suppose those kinds can't much be helped. The appointment was tolerable at least - the new doctor seems a halfway decent fit personality/approach-wise. But I would rather have been outdoors than at the appointment!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-24 4:53 PM
Have you gotten back to yoga much?  I know you probably miss it!
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-24 5:08 PM Edited 2017-10-24 5:11 PM
I've started, a bit. My PT has me doing a lot of cobra/updog poses as that stretches my scar sites effectively. Downward dog as well, and some of the seated/prone twisting poses which also are helpful for the surgical sites. Forward bends have always felt good, and they still do. The PT wants me to try wheels, but I'm hesitant not for the going into it, but the getting out. Anything arching back is supposed to be good; even whilst I was in hospital unable to move much of any body part, they were pushing me to arch my back and shoulders. I can certainly feel my scar sites get stiffer at the end of the day after being in a single position and that somewhat forward bent (working).
I did do a few sun salutations a couple days ago which made me very happy. My flexibility is still there, it is the range of motion that is hard. But I can see it coming slowly back....

ETA: Thinking of it, scorpion would really be good for the scar sites, but I don't have anywhere near the core strength back yet to balance there. One of my favourite poses though - have to remind myself that I'll be able to do it again someday. Until then, lots of cobras...
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-24 8:10 PM
I hope you are back to health  soon.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-24 8:05 PM
I did run today. About 5 miles over late lunch at a painfully slow pace. Trying to stay consistent. I know I'm tired, but feel that it's too early to start slacking. My race this weekend is a an 8k (almost 5 miles) but temps will be cool. One more long run and then hopefully a two week taper will revive my lead legs.
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-24 3:49 PM
Woke up this morning, heard great gusts of wind. Looked at phone. While I'm not certain it was right, because 92 seems a bit excessive for 3:30 AM even for southern California, the hot wind made me decide to sleep rather than run.

It is well over100 today. I went to the air conditioned gym and clocked 4.1 in 40 minutes between conference calls.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-10-24 4:38 PM
Geez :sad: that's just crazy weather.  92 at night... Wow...
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-10-24 4:40 PM
While you would not hear me complaining, I do understand that many find those temperatures intolerable. Hope it eases for your sakes....the air conditioned gym seems the wise choice.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-10-24 8:06 PM
An air conditioned gym is a necessity on 100 degree days.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Misty Tuesday dailies