Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Making Decisions on Monday NRR
- - By kelly_v Date 2017-10-23 12:00 PM
What decisions do you have to make today?
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-10-23 12:03 PM
Starting this selfishly as I'd like to see what others did. Trying to decide if I should add baby B to dental or vision insurance for 2018. I know insurance but I don't know babies :laugh:

Adding him to dental would be anywhere from $300-500 more per year depending on the plan. Adding to vision would be about $100.  I'm inclined to skip both since he is 11 months old and if I wanted to take him for a dental exam (or vision) I could self-pay much cheaper than paying for insurance. Trying to think of a downside or what kind of "what if" situation there might be that would make me wish I had put him on dental or vision.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-10-23 1:26 PM
At that age I would skip both. We recommend kids see dentist about age 3 unless they have issues. As far as vision most kids don't need to go to eye doctor unless they have vision problems. In clinic don't start real vision screening until age 3.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-23 2:57 PM
I didn't add them to dental until they were 2 or 3, didn't add vision for a long time. They both have excellent vision (didn't inherit that from me!) so no need for corrective lenses. Unless you routinely put baby B to bed with a bottle of formula or juice he probably won't have dental problems at his age.
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-10-23 3:09 PM
Skip both. Even with baby teeth a self pay exam can run you $80 or so out of pocket you don't really need structure issues unless they have cavities until 5 or 6. And again unless the pediatrician finds something wrong with vision probably 5 or 6 there too.

And if B has an issue that is of injury or surgery, those are usually covered under Medical anyway.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-10-23 4:32 PM
Saturday we were informed that some guy had made threats Friday afternoon to shoot up our office building due to an upset with a different tenant on the first floor.  I think I remember seeing a lot of cops but TSA is on the 4th floor, so I was thinking the others in uniform were from TSA. Got to work this morning and briefly thought to not park in handicap parking in front of the building.  After I had been there 30 minutes, we got emails saying our office was closed until they determined that it was safe.  :roll:  Would have been good to do that before 4 of us got there already.  I wasn't concerned as I thought the guy was probably drunk and mad on Friday, but hungover and probably sleeping on Monday. At 10:00am, they finally gave the all clear and later they showed us the guy's picture.  Later I wondered if it was strange to be un-concerned.

I upped my PT for my knee on Saturday and then decided to hike on Sunday even though the knees were sore.  Now the knees are extra sore today, so I'll just ice.  I had run out of Celebrex as well.  It was nice to not have heartburn, which was making me upset, but without it I just have too much swelling!  I feel like it's a constant back and forth of deciding to have really bad heartburn, but be able to exercise over feeling god, but the knees swell when I do normal activities.  Ugh. I'm going to try to take a half of the normal dosage.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-10-23 10:23 PM
I’m glad nothing came out of it although that could be scary. At the same time there is nothing wrong with being nonchalant about it too
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-10-24 12:52 PM
I have to vent here, because my other social media sites are too well-traveled & someone who knows someone who knows someone will share.

Summer camp ended three months ago.  During that time, I was moving houses & about to leave the country for a vacation.  I was pulled from the troop units to be a "floater adult" at camp, and didn't spend time with the girls until the afternoon of Friday of camp.  The last day of camp, a sudden downpour occurred right at the end of the day, forcing everyone onto the buses & making a run for it.  I was also the unlucky bus monitor, who had to deal with 2 girls who should have been picked up mid-way through the day, but were not; a missing grandmother who was supposed to arrive, but did not; and 4-5 missing pieces of "gear" that did not make it onto our bus.   At some point during this event Monday-Friday, the units were handed a baggie full of patches to give the girls.

I found my own girls' patches in their camp buckets after I drove back to pick up a missing bucket that was my own kid's.

You can guess where this is going...

...<frequent problem parent> is essentially accusing me of not giving her daughter a patch.  Yesterday is the first time I heard about it.  This is the same parent who went out of her way to ride with me to pick up extra supplies for girls who forgot things so she could tell me her theory that OG has undiagnosed and untreated autism & that I should offer a "class on how to deal with <OG>'s behavior to troop adults".  The same parent who thought her 4th grader could not sleep in a tent with a 4th grade friend unless a parent was with them in the tent (against rules - mom&me fine, mom&anyone else's kid is not fine).  The same parent who repeatedly offers to help, but sits around chit-chatting instead of doing something.

I have no idea what happened to your patches, if they went home with me, you'll never get them because my house is still a freaking disaster - and for the sake of small animals, it's been three months!  Clearly, these patches weren't very important to you over the last 90 days, so why are you raising a stink now?
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-24 1:06 PM
That freaken sucks. Sounds like this mom is always giving you grief! And anyone who tells another parent how to parent is just asking for it. :mutmad:

Is it possible to just order another patch and be done with it?
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-10-24 1:15 PM
I'm trying to do just that, but it's a custom patch.  If this continues, I'm going to bribe my kids to sell me their patches for $20 each and give them all to this lady to STFU, presenting the patches to the mom in a big ceremony in front of the entire group to have witnesses :mutmad:.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-24 1:55 PM
:mutmad:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-10-24 1:52 PM
That's super annoying, especially if she has been a constant problem parent
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-10-26 8:28 PM
:meh:  :mutmad: :roll:

Guess who found a baggie of patches on her daughter's camp bucket & posted on the group fn page, all "haha, so funny" today?
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-26 10:20 PM
:roll:
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-10-27 6:46 AM
Did she at least apologize for accusing you of taking their patches?
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-10-27 7:58 AM
I bet I can guess the answer to that one. :roll:
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-10-27 8:29 AM
:roll: I bet you can, too.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-10-27 8:32 AM
:laugh::roll:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2017-10-27 8:58 AM
People like that never get it.  :meh:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-10-27 12:49 PM
Yeah that was more of a rhetorical question : pbbt:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-27 11:58 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAH.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-24 1:07 PM
Question.  The students are out on the quad playing some game with a ball in a 3x3 grid. The grid is constructed of pvc pipe and is about 6 feet tall. The students hit the ball to eachother over the top of the grid.  Each student stands in one of the boxes.  Anyone know what sport this is?
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-10-24 1:17 PM
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-24 1:54 PM
Thanks. It looks like they are having a blast with it! Good to know what it is.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-10-24 1:53 PM
looks interesting
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-24 3:47 PM
It does, but $799 plus S&H interesting?
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-10-24 6:24 PM
make your own... PVC is not all that expensive.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-10-24 8:31 PM
I was thinking that. It is a lot to pay for PVC pipe, connectors, a ball, and a bag to store it in!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-10-25 12:27 AM
Apparently it is patented!
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-10-25 7:17 AM
patent only protects the owner from competitive sales.  Nothing prevents you from constructing one for your own use.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-10-25 6:52 AM
:shocker!::shocker!: yea definitely make your own!
Up Topic Communities / Women / Making Decisions on Monday NRR