Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Monster Mash Race Report
- - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-10-23 6:55 AM
Morning all. A short report on the Monster Mash Marathon in Dover DE. Race was at 7am. Small easy to get to race. Left at 4:30 am from my house. Packet pickup was allowed that morning. Dominic (15) drove me. He just got his learners permit and needs driving time. We got there, safely, around 6. Got my number and was ready to go around 615. No hassles.
Weather was awesome. 50 at the start, no wind, lots of sunshine.

The race starts and ends at the Dover International Speedway NASCAR track, The Monster Mile. Restrooms at the stadium were open for us. Brief opening ceremony and songs. Then we all marched to the race track. The first mile is a lap on the track, that was pretty cool and the most interesting part of the course.

Smallish race around 200 starting the full and 250 starting the Half.

I lined up close to the front for a change since it was a small race.

I like to think of the marathon as 20 mile warmup then a Dawn 10k.

We started promptly at 7am. Running on the track was pretty cool. Then we headed out into town until around mile 8. The town is nice, went thru a historic district that has cool old homes.
From mile 8 until the finish, it was small towns, corn fields and woods. Light on the fans but that’s fine…I don’t like people anyway. The course is flattish but not pancake-flat like the Rehoboth Beach marathon. Lots of gentle inclines and flat stretches.

I should mention that my goal was to PR by as much as I could. My PR before the race was 3:25:56 at Rehoboth beach 2 years ago. I used 3:20 (7:38 pace) training paces during my training. Started off trying to keep the miles somewhere around 7:40 or so. Splits are below. Did an ok job of that for 22 miles. But it’s a 26.2 mile race.

Around mile 6 we split from the Half people, from then on it was pretty sparse. Ran with an older dude (62) from Philly area for a while. He has done all 7 Monster Mash races and was given Race bib #1 because of that. There was an out and back mile-long section around mile 14. We counted runners ahead of us and looked for old faces. We figured we were in 19th and 20th place and that there was no one in his or mine Age Group ahead of us. I’m almost 53 and was in the 50-59 AG.

I felt really good until around mile 18. Then it started to feel like a race. By mile 20 I knew I was in trouble pass-wise. Did my best to hold the pace but after mile 22 I was done. Not sore or cramping or anything like that. Just couldn’t get the legs to go faster. No energy and a bit brain-fogged. Twice I turned down the wrong road and had to be corrected. Probably lost 30 seconds doing that.

So I just did my best to hold form and run as fast as I could. I did pass a few more people over the last 10k. Was basically just trying not to lose the PR that I knew I had.

Finally saw the stadium and crossed the finish line. They had free Grotto’s pizza and beer. Was close to passing out from being light-headed and also nauseous so I stuck with bananas. I did grab Dom a piece of pizza…he hung out in the car and watched Netflix on an iPad while I ran.

The awards ceremony wasn’t for an hour so we left. Figured I had won my AG but didn’t want to stick around.

Got the results later that night.

3:25:37 (19 second PR) 1st in the 50-59 AG out of 28, 13th male out of109, and 14th overall out of 177. So I am happy with the results but bummed that I died over the last 4 miles. Probably had a 3:22-3:23 in me. But not a 3:20 like a tried for. But I am happy that I tried for the 3:20 and I had a great training cycle. I tried to enjoy the race and just hang on for a PR there at the end. I figure that is now my lifetime PR since I will be 53 in 3 weeks. Not sure why I slowed down so much, just out of gas I guess. I fueled and hydrated the same as normal. Just think the pace was too much for my fitness that day.

The swag was cool. Great medal and t-shirt. Plus a car magnet, Spooky gummy candies, a doo-rang and Snickers bar that says Hot Mess on it. This was a very well run race.

7:50, 7:45, 7:44, 7:35, 7:36, 7:42, 7:43, 7:40, 7:43, 7:40, 7:43, 7:40, 7:42, 7:41, 7:44, 7:39, 7:42, 7:33, 7:43, 7:44, 7:45, 7:57, 8:08, 8:32, 8:41, 8:39
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-10-23 7:28 AM
Congratulations Rob!  I so admire the fact that you train alone and always get your training done.  You are definitely a role model for all of us.

And no need to ask, I bet you ran yesterday to keep your streak going!
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-10-24 6:52 AM
Thanks! Ran a slow 2 miles to keep the streak going.
Parent - - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-10-23 8:49 AM
Good night!!! What a run! So happy for you, 1st! Wow!  Pretty darn good for an old dude! I love out and backs for the same reason. Congratulations, Rob!
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-10-24 7:01 AM
Thanks Jet!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-23 9:16 AM
I guess you and I were having too much fun that last 10k.  I must've taken your mind off the task at hand.:grin:

Great running and wonderful report.  What the heck is the matter with your kid though?  Watching Netflix when there are no doubt pretty ladies in running shorts?

You had an excellent training cycle Rob.  We are all amazed at what you do.  Just going to throw this out there:  I pr'd every race I ran in my 55th year.  Don't say "lifetime pr" just yet.
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-10-25 8:33 AM
Well you are a good looking distraction!

Dom said he did do some skateboarding around the parking lot and then watched some of the half people coming in and then the Full people as they started to finish.

Maybe next Fall i will try and PR again...who knows
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-10-23 10:14 AM
Congratulations on the PR. Sorry the last 4 miles were a struggle but the marathon is a weird event and you never know what is going to happen.
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-10-25 8:34 AM
Thanks! Yeah you never know what the body and mind are going to do over 26 miles of running. I had a good time anyway and the race is well run.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-10-23 2:22 PM
Did you have any nutrition during the race or stuff to drink other than water? Again, nice job with gutting it out and finishing first! I want to know if they will snailmail you your award though!
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-10-25 8:52 AM
I did what i do for every other marathon. small breakfast 3 hours before start, 10 minutes before start i eat 3 chews/blocks, carry a bottle of sports drink to start (using TailWind currently) and at mile 10 i start eating a chew/block every mile...usually until mile 22-that's when my stomach says Screw You I've had enough. Took in a few less blocks this time cause stomach rebelled earlier. but i don't know if that made difference. it didn't really feel like I bonked the last 4 miles...maybe mildly? not sure.

No word on if I am getting an award mailed to me.
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2017-10-25 6:40 AM
Adored the comment about the 20 mike warmup and a Dawn 10K! :hug: Huge congrats on your PR.  What did the shirt look like?
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-10-25 10:27 AM
Thanks Luv! Shirt and medal aren't bad. Goofy Frankenstein dude on them. Medal is huge and heavy.
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2017-10-25 1:53 PM
Huge and heavy = code. :laugh:
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-10-25 2:05 PM
the medal also Spins...more code. there is a piece in the center that spins when you finger it
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-10-25 7:11 PM
Wow, you ran a great race, congratulations! :cool:

You've got that 3:20 in you, I'm sure of it. And I'm sure you're going to go after it! :laugh::hug:
One never knows what marathon day will hold, that's for darn sure.

So what's the next race?  :grin:
- By Ron274 [us] Date 2017-11-01 9:59 AM
Just getting around to reading post. Great job Rob, your still hammering away. Too bad about the last few miles. That sucks, but you still dd great. congrats.!!!
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Monster Mash Race Report