Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Sunday 10-22-2017
- - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-10-22 4:35 AM
Good morning. Rest day for me but I figured as long as I'm checking in here on the forum I may as well kick things off for people doing something worthwhile.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-10-22 6:48 AM
Thank you Dave for starting us out.  I am just finishing my first cup of coffee so I don't have much to post.  But my UTSA Roadrunners won last night and the Astros are going to the World Series!  Woo Hoo!

Be back later.
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-10-22 10:10 AM
My easy 3 mile run at sunrise turned into a shocking incident.  I ran down a road that I run nearly every morning.  A huge dog that I've occasionally met ran toward me on the road barking and growling and I thought for sure I might be bitten.  The lady of the house yelled for the dog but it stayed within 2 feet of me growling and I stood there knowing if I ran it might provoke it.  Then a German shepherd from the same home came toward me.  Meanwhile the lady's husband came out, cursing at his dogs, then the man started cursing at me.  He told me that my "effing a$$ needs to stop running."  I asked him why he was mad at me, why are you cursing at me.  He said that I've done this to his dogs before and that he was "pissed off."  I walked away then the German shepherd stood at edge of the road growling so I stopped walking so he could get his dog and I would not get attacked.  He told me again to get my "effing a$$ down the road."  I couldn't believe it, but I never got mad myself.  I ran on thiinking that this guy just made a fool of himself in front of his wife and any neighbor who may have heard.  I've only seen the dogs in daylight and always the owners call them off.

I'm relaxing the rest of the day.
Parent - - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-10-22 10:23 AM
Mike, that is terrible! I am glad you were not hurt. Would you feel comfortable in calling animal control, or would you worry about repercussions?  Will you run that route again? Such a shame, and, yes, shocking!!!

Had a meh race yesterday. One of my biggest 5ks, I always plan to do well, but for some reason, just don't. :roll:

They did change the course this year, changed the finish to an awful .3 mile uphill, but frankly, I just wasn't on.

Still over two min faster than last year with the easier course when I was poorly trained, but a good two min or more slower than I had hoped. Came in 3/9 in the 65-69 with a
31:16, missed 2nd by 4 seconds. :roll: 

Oh well! Got a bright orange shirt... and a plaque and sure was glad to place. Fast Friend came in 1/52 but her pace was off by a good two minutes.

And, we are both uninjured
. For us to make it to the start and the finish of any 5k is a win!!

Just a little creaky today. :grin:  my next big race is in February, although I sure would like to win a bobble head Santa trophy in December!!!
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-10-22 10:46 AM
Sorry you didn't hit your time goal, but way to go in getting on the podium with the AG .  That's an unmerciful ending to the finish. 

I thought of calling animal control and there could be retaliation from the owners.  I'm letting it go?  I'll still run down the road.  I need to carry my pepper spray again.
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-10-22 3:56 PM
Thanks, Mike!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-22 10:58 AM
That is a 3rd place finish of which I would be proud.  Now I'm picturing your creaky self in a bright orange shirt.:happy:
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-10-22 3:52 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::cry:  orange is not my color!  Thanks!!!
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-10-22 4:08 PM
Nice job on the 5k! :meh: race is better than no race, says she who doesn't run anymore. :blush:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-22 10:56 AM
1. I'm glad you are ok.  That is the most important thing.
2. What is so wrong in this person's life to make him this angry?
3. I expect he is not kind to his animals.
4. The best response would be to not run past there again and that means the angry man has taken away some of your freedom.  

:sad::sad::sad:
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-10-22 3:52 PM
Agreed
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-10-22 12:16 PM
Mike that is terrible!  Glad you escaped unhurt.
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-10-22 3:55 PM
:shocker!:
I will never figure people out. :sad: I feel badly for the dogs, you know who made them that way. :cry:

Very glad you weren't hurt.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-22 11:03 AM
Good morning Dave.  It's still morning here for a few more minutes.:wink:   Thanks for starting the daily.

Helped Amy pick out her very cool safety glasses yesterday.  She also snagged some really colorful Asics for $55 and talked me into lunch at Dairy Queen.  A successful day and a milkshake!

Our weather has taken a turn and is begging me to curl up with a book or a football game.  Really hoped to get a bike ride in but it's low 50's and really gusty winds.:sad:  Yes, a warm mug of something and my feet up wins today.  Technically I'm waiting for a contractor to show up and give us a quote on redoing the ceilings on the 2nd floor.  He's an hour late so I expect he's a no show.
Parent - - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-10-22 3:54 PM
Is this to remove the popcorn ceilings? :cry:
What a mess... but I'm glad I took the time and effort to do it. I opted for leaving it "textured" as opposed to completely smooth, as that was going to entail more work and money than I cared to spend, but it looks SO much better!

Having a contractor do it in your home is a MUCH better idea than DIY. Trust me. :laugh:

I bought cabinets and appliances this week, but with delivery times, I'm still about three weeks from moving in and adopting a kitty. :sad::hug:
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-10-22 3:55 PM
Sounds as tho you have been very busy!
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-10-22 6:15 PM
Yes, the dreadful popcorn.  It is probably 50/50 that it contains asbestos.  I'm all for covering it up rather than scraping but we shall see.

With this old house I pretty much have textured everything.  It hides the imperfections of 1920's construction so well!   The 2nd floor is a 1970's era conversion of an attic.  Each room has sloping ceilings and quirky crawlspaces.  Going up the stairs is like going through a time machine.  The purple walls and yellow shag carpeting are long gone but still.....:laugh:

So happy yours are done!  Even happier about the kitty.:hug:
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-10-22 3:54 PM
A great decision on the curling up and resting.  Too bad about the no show. :(
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-10-22 12:19 PM
I wonder if Tom saw this article http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/crime/article/Honolulu-store-owners-say-thieves-are-targeting-12295987.php

I like Spam especially fried and then served in a warm tortilla with a hot cup of coffee!  Oh my, what a meal!
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2017-10-22 3:53 PM
You are doing great on those mega power walks!
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Sunday 10-22-2017